Oh No - It's A Green Hole! - Reverse Thrusters! - Dammit - Too Late!

It's gone now Lex. As of about ten days ago, (two weeks ago? or thereabouts the new growth was officially looking normal again- faster growth, larger leaves and no wilty purple look. There are probably signs of the wilty flu still on the older foliage. It lingered for ages getting better only very slowly. My best guess is that it was a ph problem. If so it took a very long time to recover from.

A few photos from yesterday

~MALAWI~

The three girls continue to stretch away. Not nearly as intimidating a stretch though as that (male) Thai Stick I had in there before. The two plants on the right side have been in 12/12 for over 5 weeks, the one on the left side was put in 2 and 1/2 weeks ago. They look to all be at roughly the same stage of flowering, which tells me that they just reached maturity a couple weeks ago, at about six weeks of age. The two that were put in early were still vegging, and didn't show sex and start flowering till recently.
They look quite controllable, based on the fact that they're showing mini buds already. I have had to tuck and weave them back into the screen a lot to control their height though. Hence the raggedy appearance. The Malawi are the two in front and behind them are two PCs, also looking raggedy. Once the buds take over I do some defol and things get slightly more organized looking.

image35536.jpg

image35535.jpg

image35537.jpg

~ PINEAPPLE CHUNK~
image35538.jpg

image35539.jpg

The bed of green is doing fine. The buds haven't grown or fattened up much since I laid them down, but look happy, and there's no mold to be seen. The PC doesn't grow large buds anyway- the budding limbs are always long and lanky. It's kind of a strange plant in some ways. Overall this is a better looking situation than it would have been if I'd let them grow loose and floppy like they wanted.

~ LEFT SIDE ~
image35540.jpg

I'm currently flushing the three older plants on the left side, and will harvest them in the next couple weeks based on how they appear. Clockwise from closest- (well, I mean closest of the ones on that side...)
Malawi, Blueberry laying low, Mama Thai, Pineapple Chunk.

~MAMA THAI~
image35541.jpg

I'll try to get some better pics of her and the others tonight if I get a chance. It's difficult to get any worthwhile photos in there. I'm starting to think I should put a florescent light in for the purpose of taking photos under, or something. The plants live under a yellow glow and I don't really get to have a good look at them until they are ready to harvest and I get to drag them outside into the daylight (if there is any at the time, as daylight is in short supply here right now).

Heya weasey,, wow, what a jungle,, looks jungly above and totally jungly from below,, totally similar to my technique, but bigger,:Namaste:

That Thai looks beautiful,, what an expression of love and comitment those long bloomers are,, me want,, bad

Interesting to hear you chat about finding hermie flowers sporatically half, three quarter way through,, exactly my observation, I feel less alone today,, thanks:thanks:

I am using the pollen I collect,, very small amounts, to have sex with my plants, as you may recall,, here is sex day and yesterday,,

P1160382.JPG

A lotto change in five/six days,, no obvious seeds yet tho

P1160420.JPG

Cheers pal,, stay safe,,:Namaste:

Just noticed,, look at the crazy increase in trichomes in the center there,, wonder if there is cause and affect there,,???

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I reduced the lights on by 15 minutes, down to 11:45. I'll continue to lower it over the next couple months, down to...? The longer nights will hopefully bring out the best in the sativas.
I just went and looked at my seed collection, but didn't see anything that caught my fancy. Besides about a dozen old strains and crosses I made years ago, there are a few Cheese strains, which I've never tried, and some Lemon Skunk, and many mystery mixes. I think I'll focus on what I currently have going on, for now.
I'm thinking of ending this journal fairly soon, to be replaced with a different version of the same journal, ha ha. The main reason to end it would be to keep it at a reasonable length. It gets a bit too exclusive when a journal is very long. It's fun when new people show up, but then they feel obligated to 'catch up', and half the time they get frightened away by that task and disappear again.
I have no idea what to do for a new journal. Probably just focus on the sativas and the same old blathering in between ?????? Any ideas, anyone?
I've pretty well documented my growing method at this point. I don't feel like I did manage to capture the helter skelter nature of my growing process, but that's ok. :)

Yeah it's very jungly, Nivek. I go and remove everything under the screens soon, which often is half the plant.
My entire grow is a little bit underlit. Things are quite dim around the edges. If I get any money I'll give the expensive (hortilux ) bulbs a try and see if that helps.

If anyone has any experience using expensive bulbs, or recommendations, throw them my way please. ??
Another idea is to add some smaller lights. LEDs? I don't have money for that either, and hate the idea of adding more wires to the situation...but I know I would be doing better with four smaller lights than with two main ones.

I always get the fairly cheap bulbs. I use 1000 watt bulbs but run the ballasts at 600 watts, with the option to crank up to 1000W+, but never do. I think I would see bigger yields if I did. The power company would see bigger yields too when I paid my bill. I'm dithering on ordering a kill-a-watt type tester to see exactly how much power I'm using as I'm reluctant to turn up the power and max things out. These days I always lean in favor of leaving well enough alone.
I would think those dead pistils should be a sign of pollination, but I'd also think there would be some sign of swelling by now as well. ?

I agree, being relatively newish, theres alot of threads i havent even bothered with. Simply because i know what id be reading.

I love the supportive nature everyone has here, but when your new.. And your looking for answers on how to this or that.. Its a royal pain reading page after page of 'looks good bro!, lovely bushes!, omg those are so beautiful youre such a god.'... With only 1 or 2 helpful posts in between.

Where, following from the beginning, you feel alot more apart of the process, and reading comments isnt half as bad because its not 214pages to get caught up..

Dont forget the invite whenever you start anew

For sure DankWolf - I'll 'probably' send invites. If I don't though, don't be offended. Sometimes it's fun to just lay low, and let the chips fall where they may. But if I do that and you don't show up, I'll go find you eventually. This one I didn't even put in my signature for ages.
It's nice to get compliments, but I know what you mean about journals full of supportive comments, making it hard to find out what growing. I try to keep it to a minimum, partly because I lack social skills when it comes to chitchat. Being a bit self-critical I find I want to argue back sometimes, ha ha. Much nicer to just be grateful for compliments though, and I do appreciate you guys saying nice things. It's mostly about the process for me. I don't lay around wishing for bigger buds or more yield. I'm just excited to watch them grow and see what new things each week brings. Mostly I try not to screw things up too badly, and hope to let the plants do what they want, without getting in the way too much.

I searched back through the journal and found that the Malawi seeds were sprouts on October 8. So let's call the start of veg October 15 for simplicity. The two Malawi plants on the right side were put into flowering on Nov 20, and the other one on Dec 1. I figure they didn't initiate flowering until at least Dec. 1 or later, so that makes about 6 weeks vegging. I'm not worried about their stretching so far- they look manageable.

Nivek the Mama Thai only takes about 12 weeks in flowering. That makes it actually a little shorter than the BB and PC which are sativa/indica crosses. So the pure sativa is my shortest flowering strain. Also, it's quite controllable in a scrog, and I think could be easily controlled outside a scrog as well. I'll try that soon once my vegging Mama gets disentangled from the Blueberry grafting experiment.

I would think those dead pistils should be a sign of pollination, but I'd also think there would be some sign of swelling by now as well. ?

When I used to cross-pollinate my zucchini plants, the pistils would turn brown very quickly, since they weren't needed anymore. But seed production is a very metabolic-intensive activity, and the pregnant lady is going to put her all into those seeds.

So be patient and let her bring them to maturation, and beyond. The seeds should dry on the branches, so the seeds store all the nutrients they need to feed the new seedling. White or green seeds are immature. You want them brown/striped.

Cheers AK,, :thanks:

One thing the world needs is more zukes, no question,, kinda like cowbells,, more cowbell,,,

Ha,, cheers

Good old zucchinis! Yes if most people were zucchinis the world might be a better place.:thumb:
Btw. When I said 'it doesn't take long' about your pollination, Nivek, I meant it doesn't take long to show the signs that seeds are forming. This is based on my not so vast experience growing seeds accidentally and on purpose, and on the experience of pollinating the Mama Thai, of which I showed you a photo...
I think they take about 5 weeks or so to mature. I have thousands on the Mama Thai. I've been munching on them when I'm in there.

I just got in and read that so tried it just now with a couple handfuls of Lemon Skunk seeds I accidently bred.....
(a long pause here as I did the math and got lost in thought) eight and a half years ago (!!!!!!) my how time flies...

Anyway, I tossed them in a pan with some oil and a little bit of butter.
Excitement! They quickly started popping like crazy and I had to abandon the idea of taking a photo and scramble to find a lid. (I wasn't expecting such quick results, yes I know very unprofessional...)
But like popcorn? No.
Some of the shells pop off and splatter hot oil everywhere but they don't puff up.
They taste actually quite delicious, with a disconcerting kind of canna smell. Probably being in the freezer for 8 and a 1/2 years didn't help the quality much. I'll try something like it again sometime, with fresher seeds

I just got in and read that so tried it just now with a couple handfuls of Lemon Skunk seeds I accidently bred.....
(a long pause here as I did the math and got lost in thought) eight and a half years ago (!!!!!!) my how time flies...

Anyway, I tossed them in a pan with some oil and a little bit of butter.
Excitement! They quickly started popping like crazy and I had to abandon the idea of taking a photo and scramble to find a lid. (I wasn't expecting such quick results, yes I know very unprofessional...)
But like popcorn? No.
Some of the shells pop off and splatter hot oil everywhere but they don't puff up.
They taste actually quite delicious, with a disconcerting kind of canna smell. Probably being in the freezer for 8 and a 1/2 years didn't help the quality much. I'll try something like it again sometime, with fresher seeds

:rofl::rofl:
This had me laughing so hard. I had an image of you running round like benny hill looking for a lid while the seeds popped hot oil all over your kitchen.
Thanks WC :)

Back
Top Bottom