Rain water

When I collected rain water off my metal roof I always let it sit for a few days then drain the bottom couple of inches off to eliminate the dirt and solids that have settled to the bottom rain barrel.
My rain water is 0 ppm but has a pH near 7.5, so when I add it to my rez I always add CaliMagic to bring the ppm's to around 120 ppm then give it 24 hrs to stabilize before adding nutes. Add nutes then pH.
I still collect it and use it sometimes but I purchased a RO filter system, it adds Cal and Mag back into the system for flavor which makes the water around 110 to 130 ppm. I do love my RO system.

I clean out the leaves and any sticks that might have fallen into the tubs but the dirt is either still in suspension or has settled. The water is what comes off a basic roof I put on a small lean-to over some gardening equipment and supply storage area using those corrugated plastic panels available at building supply stores.

The dirt is the same dirt that is in the air that we breath and the same dirt that would fall on the plant if it were growing outside.

Pardon my ignorance but the ppm are of what? Calcium? Magnesium? I grow in soil and only check for pH. Like gr865 I let the water settle to eliminate dirt and solids.

My RO water is 0 ppm but the Calcium and Mag they add back brings the ppm to around 120.

Pardon my ignorance but the ppm are of what? Calcium? Magnesium? I grow in soil and only check for pH. Like gr865 I let the water settle to eliminate dirt and solids.
Parts Per Million of every thing in water or all your nuts.

When i grow outdoors in the ground i use rain water(rain buckets) and have never bothered to ph it ever. i don't ph every rain storm so why my rain buckets. when my rain bucketes run dry i fill with tap water and let sit for 24hour and water and still don't bother to ph and my local water sucks arse ( ph 7.8-8.2) . Indoors is different and i ph my water everytime.

20200804_144045.jpg

As rain water isn't buffered, a little acid or base will cause a large change in pH. I've been using rain water for years. Often it has twigs and leaves, but so does the ground where plants grow well. Unless you are in an area of heavy pollution, don't sweat it.

One thing about rainwater is that you’re more likely, actually guaranteed, to have more living organisms in your water- slime growth, etc. The only time that becomes an issue for me is when cloning, - the cutting stems are more prone to root rot. The issue is easily solved with beneficial bacteria/enzyme products like hydroguard, Z9, and the like. I never had any luck at all trying to keep things sterile with bleach or peroxide.

One thing about rainwater is that you’re more likely, actually guaranteed, to have more living organisms in your water- slime growth, etc. The only time that becomes an issue for me is when cloning, - the cutting stems are more prone to root rot. The issue is easily solved with beneficial bacteria/enzyme products like hydroguard, Z9, and the like. I never had any luck at all trying to keep things sterile with bleach or peroxide.
I only use bottled water for cloning. I don't have city water, my well water is very hard, and I have had little luck using RO water.

It's raining so I was wondering if anyone collects rain water and uses it on their indoor plants? I spent most of my late teens and 20s working on a golf course and then running a lawn care service and I always knew that irrigation never compared to a good rain coming down. Does anyone do this?
I collect rain water,plus it is good for seedlings and and the early life of the plant, or through the whole life cycle if you have plenty to spare because as they get bigger they want a lot more. You want to collect rain as it falls,not from a roof or a gutter. then what I do is run it through a strainer and then I put it in a microwave for about 30 seconds to kill any micro living in the water.

have you tried to microwave it for about 30 seconds, I do before I feed my girls

I don’t mind a few living things in my water now that I know how to deal with it. It was only ever an issue with rooting clones. I don’t actually own a microwave. I tried all sorts of sterilization methods for cloning. Boiling, bleach, peroxide, buying bottled water, using chlorinated tap water from town, etc. None worked. My assumption was that the plant/cutting itself isn’t sterile and can contain the pythium type slime that you’re trying to avoid. Anyway- nothing worked for me except beneficial bacteria.

I don’t mind a few living things in my water now that I know how to deal with it. It was only ever an issue with rooting clones. I don’t actually own a microwave. I tried all sorts of sterilization methods for cloning. Boiling, bleach, peroxide, buying bottled water, using chlorinated tap water from town, etc. None worked. My assumption was that the plant/cutting itself isn’t sterile and can contain the pythium type slime that you’re trying to avoid. Anyway- nothing worked for me except beneficial bacteria.
I never did clones before but on my next grow thinking about doing some, i did a lot of researching and got some much needed information.SEE WHAT HAPPENS ?

have you tried to microwave it for about 30 seconds, I do before I feed my girls
Most bacteria, molds, insects and other living things in the water will survive very well in hot water. You have to get the water up to about 180 to 200 degrees F or more; in other words up to boiling for a minute or two.

I can not imagine putting bowls of water in the microwave till they boil. It would take all afternoon to get a gallon or two of sterilized rain water. Sounds like it would be simpler to put the water in a large stock pot and boil it on the stove.

Most bacteria, molds, insects and other living things in the water will survive very well in hot water. You have to get the water up to about 180 to 200 degrees F or more; in other words up to boiling for a minute or two.

I can not imagine putting bowls of water in the microwave till they boil. It would take all afternoon to get a gallon or two of sterilized rain water. Sounds like it would be simpler to put the water in a large stock pot and boil it on the stove.
I only did this to the seedlings and before they started to veg, when they are in flower they want more than normal so I didn’t do it when they are in flower

yrs ago before RO was widely available hydro shops sold standard sediment and charcoal filters. in extreme cases you would boil the water and strain it through the filters. like a big brita water pitcher. they only produced enough for smaller home stuff.

We have a flat roof with a rubber coating.

I collect rain water and use it for outdoor and indoor gardening been doing it for years.

Dont worry about pH - here's why. Rain water is almost PURE water as mentioned like distilled water which basically it is.

The reason for a lower pH is several things. Acid rain is how rocks get broken down into soil over time. Its the natural cycle at play so a little acidity aint that bad. If growing in soil your soil can buffer that slight acidity.

Rain water pH since there's very little to no molecules other than H2o in it the pH will generally rise from 5.5pH to 6.5pH if left to sit out and adsorb more Hydrogen from the air. Remeber pH is potential Hydrogen.

What makes acid rain is sulfur dioxide in the air from fossil fuels. Before hoo-man it was volcanic activity and is still in play today.

That sulfur in the rain water is actually very good for plants. So rain water even with a low pH will be great for your plants.

I encountered 1 problem living in Philly with rain water. Leaves dropping off trees with anthracnose which is a plant pathogen. Also leaves can harbor insects like leaf hoppers that can be passed along with the rain water collection.

Keep those few things in mind when collecting rain water.
Plant pathogens from trees and insects.

Not all rain water is equal.

My advice on collecting rain water is the shorter the pathway to you storage container the better. And try to collect rain water direct from the air and not from runoff from your roof. Its not for the problem of potability but from the stuff that collects in your rain gutters.

It's raining so I was wondering if anyone collects rain water and uses it on their indoor plants? I spent most of my late teens and 20s working on a golf course and then running a lawn care service and I always knew that irrigation never compared to a good rain coming down. Does anyone do this?
I use tank water

Back
Top Bottom