- Black Skull Seeds Five-o (Sativa)
- Pyramid Seeds Alpujarrena (Indica)
Germination Began: 4/12/14
Indoor Grow: Lighthouse Hydro 2.6ft x 2.6ft x 7ft
LED Lighting: topledgrowlight.com 96x3 LED Light
Soil: 2 plants each in Vigoro organic and MG organic
Temperature: 78-84
Relative Humidity: 50-63
Nutrients: GH Flora Series once feeding begins.
Plants: 4, Maybe 5

I am new to this hobby and have been really enjoying reading up on all the information on this and a couple of other forums. In the end I decided I was going to focus on one forum and try to share what I could on that (this) forum. First I want to thank you all that have shared your knowledge and experience making it possible for a newbie like myself to point and click their way into a first grow. The passion some of you show is infectious and I do believe I have become infected!

I'm growing in a Lighthouse Hydro tent with carbon filtration, 3 small clip fans, LED lighting and a tiny evaporative "cool mist" humidifier.

On 4/12 I started 4 seeds in peat pellets without pre-soaking or paper towels. (Two each, sativa and indica. As of 4/19 one is growing quick and strong. One, maybe two are trying to catch up and the last is showing no signs of life.

Excitement and impatience sometimes get the better of me. I thought I would try and see if the paper towel method could speed things up. On 4/14 I put a single seed in a wet paper towel. This seems to be the seed that could and made the transition into dirt (vigoro organic with extra perlite mixed in) a short 36 hours later.

I am thinking this seed was placed in too shallow as a loop of white root is visible above soil. Having read that light is not good for roots I wonder if I should attempt to cover that up with soil? (The root is visible to the left of the seedling.)

re: Sativacat's Soil Tent Grow - Five-o & Alpujarrena - First Grow

How could I allow 4/20 to pass without posting a short update?

Seedling #4's tiny little taproot started to poke through the bottom of the peat pellet. Reading around folks seem to be split on whether or not its a good idea to take the mesh off before planting in soil. I am now convinced that the safer answer is no. The pellet split across the middle possibly damaging the root. Time will tell if this causes an issue.

#5 is still insisting on wearing that silly hat. How rude!

Very cool. I've had success with GH's organic nutes. Might wanna take a look at the general organics go box.

Otherwise, :welcome: and good luck. You are off to a great start.

Pale blue dot, have you been enjoying the return of cosmos?

Edit- just noticed your humidifier. That model seems to have a large footprint and it would be ideal to pick up an ultrasonic one. They are way more efficient and far more clean, and less maintenance, too. I picked up a homedics one and I love it. Blue teardrop shaped model.

Very cool. I've had success with GH's organic nutes. Might wanna take a look at the general organics go box.

This is a good thought for the next grow. I wanted to keep it simple this time around.

Pale blue dot, have you been enjoying the return of cosmos

Absolutely enjoying it! Ive been a fan of Carl Sagan since early childhood. The original Cosmos inspired me to read to learn more about our universe. Ive been watching with curiosity to this day the contuning science being done such as the COBE and Kepler missions. Carl would have been besides himself with joy.
With the new series Ann Druyan picked the right person to carry on the legacy. Neil Tyson has a captivating charm and understands how to engage and stimulate people. After having watched a few episodes can you imagine anyone else as host? Brian Cox maybe?

Edit- just noticed your humidifier. That model seems to have a large footprint and it would be ideal to pick up an ultrasonic one. They are way more efficient and far more clean, and less maintenance, too. I picked up a homedics one and I love it. Blue teardrop shaped model.

Thank you for the good suggestion. There is a significant price difference between this crappy one and the homedics. I'm slightly over budget on this project and was (unwisely) trying to cut corners.

I wouldn't recommend this particular $25 humidifier to anyone. It has a paper mesh screen that wicks water up from a pool inside the unit. Air blows through this mesh. After a couple of days its already changing color. Bacteria? Mold? I have no idea. It cant be dissolved minerals as Ive been using RO water.

I am considering drilling a small hole in the reservoir leading to a larger tank outside. I'm not keen on having to refill a humidifier every day. How am I supposed to go on a weekend trip?

Now that you mention footprint this looks interesting... What do you think?
Air-O-Swiss AOS 7146 Travel Ultrasonic Humidifier - Cool Mist - Single Room Humidifiers

71HUPdy9NcL_SL1500_.jpg

I did look at those and similar models, but decided against that one for it's reviews and the idea of filling it too often.

I have had many humidifiers and really searched for the right one and I feel like I found it. Whatever works for you, though. I'm sure almost any ultrasonic will be better. I've had a few of the wick style humididfiers and they a pita. I just know they will mold, as well.

Here is the one I got. I think it was cheaper at walmart, though. I got it for like 39.00 I think.

Brian cox is a good suggestion. I think he has a couple programs and a ted talk at any one time, though.

Carl was the best. Tyson is doing great. Gotta go, but I could talk for hours about science. Glad you decided to start your journal. Enjoy 420!

You should be happy with it. I know I am.

Here may be the best part of it; all new humidifiers in the right size have a little night light led. Well, this is the only model which allows you to switch the light off!

Unless a model has been sold with an off switch after I purchased mine.

It also turns off when empty and doesn't smell, or gunk up quickly. They fixed some flaws I saw in other models I've had.

Oh, I also noticed more humidity. If you set it on max your room will turn into a steam room. I opened it and gasped and choked on the thick air. It was awesome and terrifying. Try it once just for the experience I say. Lol

Thanks for the compliment. I am a total newbie so it means a lot.

The topgrowled light seems to be doing the job though it does heat up the room if I leave the door closed. 3-5 degrees warmer than the rest of the building. These lights do generate heat, just nowhere near what a HPS or MH would. Ive got a flat roof over that part of the building so venting into the attic might not be possible. I need to find some time and drill a few exploratory holes. I might get lucky.

I had some non-related seedlings in there for a few days before they made the transition to the outside world. I think they liked the LED more than the partially shady place they ended up in. =)

I would say that the fans in these lights are louder than I want them to be. The loudest part of the whole tent at the moment. Ive ordered some thermaltake fans to see if they perform a bit better. Good to have spare 120mm fans anyway. Wouldn't want to have to shut the light off for a fan failure. (The fans are easy to replace BTW)

I was impressed by one aspect of all this. An aspect that the green topgrowled light plays a big role in. After all the math is said and done I figure this tent will cost me just under $14/mo to run. I expected it to be a lot less than HPS/MH but I did not expect the cost to be negligible. That turns out to be about a 7% increase on my existing electric bill. To me that's pretty close to negligible.

Subscribed. You can help the seedling by taking off the seed shell from the cotyledon leaves. If you are looking for a humidifier with a 3 gallon tank I used this humidifier the Honeywell HCM-300T QuietCare™ 3.0 Gallon UV Tower Humidifier in my KingJohnC's and Labexperiment's Brainstorm Haze Grow Journal and the humidifier worked well.

https://www.honeywellcomfort.ca humidifier honeywell-3-gal-uv-tower-humidifier-hcm-300t

KingJohnC's Brainstorm Haze Soil Indoor Grow Journal

Here is everything you should need to know to post full size photographs in your grow journal.

Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

If you are looking for a humidifier with a 3 gallon tank I used this humidifier the Honeywell HCM-300T QuietCare™ 3.0 Gallon UV Tower Humidifier in my KingJohnC's and Labexperiment's Brainstorm Haze Grow Journal and the humidifier worked well.

That's one monster of a humidifier! Ive ordered and ultrasonic with a smaller footprint for now. I am planning on hooking up some aquarium tubing to the tank and running it outside the tent to a larger reservoir. A simple siphon should keep it full for me and I won't even have to open up the tent! I will be sure to report on that once I get it together.

The shell came off the seedling today. The next seedling is coming up and has a similar problem. The shell came off though there is a bit of a membrane left behind holding her closed up. Going to snap a few shots soon.

Back
Top Bottom