Secondhand Bloombox - First Grow

So I think I'm going to be screwed as far as space goes in my plans for a "perpetual garden". The 3 biggest plants I have in the veg chamber are closing in on on 8-10"... My current flowering plants are only inches from the light, with 4-7 weeks left in flowering. I've started bending down the tallest plant (the one in the middle) doing a little bit of lst to the back left side of the box, but I think I'm soon going to have to tie it down.

But with this much time left in flower, I need to find a way to slow down growth on the veg side, so that I can keep them short enough, so when I start flowering them, they won't stretch too big for my space. I flowered the current 3 in the flowering chamber at 10-11" and I think I waited too long. I've been stretching the vegging plants under the screen, but the canopy is pretty full. the lower leaves (and the one I'm trying manifold on) are not getting much light.

Any suggestions on how to slow down growth or what to do? I think I waited too late to top them, but maybe I have time to kill and can just wait for them to regrow after a late top.

So I read some stuff about defoliation,
Controversial Technique Increases Marijuana Yields... But At What Cost? - General Growing Information - Michigan Medical Marijuana Association
and figured I'd give it a try. I'm about 2.5 weeks into flower, I don't even remember how long the ones vegging have been there haha.

Doing the defoli on the veg side, finally allowed light to get down through the net. On the flower side, I defoli'd mainly to get light down to the lower buds. I only cut off large leaves, and dead/dying leaves. I started from the top down, trying to find places where fan leaves were blocking light.

Any here's some photos

Flowering:

Veg

The aftermath

So the plant in the middle is flowering/growing like a BEAST. Almost all of the tops have alternating nodes and significant budding

The chemdawg on the front left is doing pretty well, with 1 or 2 tops just starting to alternate, but the rest are still getting parallel nodes. Plant is starting to bud, but much slower than the rest.

The plant on the front right is doing alright, but I wouldn't say she's thriving. Node spacing is far apart, decent amount of side branching but nothing crazy.

Still scrogging it up on the veg side. Every time a top starts to poke through, I just tuck it back under the net. Force it to grow out horizontal.

Here's photos

Just finishing up week 3 of flower. Plants keep stretching into glass... I keep using plant ties to pull them down. I accidentally gave 1 top a hard bend, so I just taped her up. Can I take clones while these ladies are flowering. I'd really like a few clones of the beast in the middle.

Well good news and bad news. Good news is the plants are developing trichs all over the place. The bad news, I think I let it get a little too hot today, and some of my leaves developed what looks like rust stains.

The ph was a bit low after I added some nutes today, but nothing crazy. I'm hoping it just takes care of itself. I was pushing the temps and the co2 a little high. I think I'm going to dial it back a bit.

Anyway I'm ready for my closeup :)

Thanks for checking in redmud. The buds are definitely fattening up. Especially on the plant in the middle. The thing is a beast, trichs all over the place. Buds everywhere. I reached in to tie one of the stalks down today and when I pulled my arm out the entire thing was sticky. Some leaves are getting light burn. I've been tying down wherever possible, but I've completely run out of vertical space. I've taken to just bending stalks down when they get too high. I know it's not ideal... but it works.

One plant just isn't fattening up at all. It's grown plenty tall, but it's really stretchy and there's just not a lot of budding going on. I've been wondering whether I'd yield more by killing it now, harvesting whatever's there, and letting the middle plant use the space. I don't know whether or not that's worth doing since this is my first grow.

On the veg side, these things are growing like crazy. I just keep pushing them back through the net, but this isn't going to last forever and it's getting pretty crowded under the net. These vegging plants are just itching to start flowering.

Ugh.... I went to check out my plants this am, and I noticed something weird. Some of the leaves closest to the light have these weird partially transparent spots on them :(. Anyone have any idea what this is? Here's some pics:

I also created a thread on the FAQ forum. Check that out here. Weird see through spots on some leaves (particularly ones close to the light)

Please help!!!!

I'm almost at week 5 of flower. Decided to post some pictures. It's getting pretty crowded in there. Tons of trichs on buds. Some are starting to cloud up a little bit. I'm hoping to gain some more mass to these buds before I have to start flushing. It's hard to take pictures because I can barely fit my arm into the box it's so dense.

Buds Buds everywhere, and damn they're getting trichy.

So I think I'm going to be screwed as far as space goes in my plans for a "perpetual garden". The 3 biggest plants I have in the veg chamber are closing in on on 8-10"... My current flowering plants are only inches from the light, with 4-7 weeks left in flowering. I've started bending down the tallest plant (the one in the middle) doing a little bit of lst to the back left side of the box, but I think I'm soon going to have to tie it down.

But with this much time left in flower, I need to find a way to slow down growth on the veg side, so that I can keep them short enough, so when I start flowering them, they won't stretch too big for my space. I flowered the current 3 in the flowering chamber at 10-11" and I think I waited too long. I've been stretching the vegging plants under the screen, but the canopy is pretty full. the lower leaves (and the one I'm trying manifold on) are not getting much light.

Any suggestions on how to slow down growth or what to do? I think I waited too late to top them, but maybe I have time to kill and can just wait for them to regrow after a late top.

Reclone your clones? You have time.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Just finishing up week 3 of flower. Plants keep stretching into glass... I keep using plant ties to pull them down. I accidentally gave 1 top a hard bend, so I just taped her up. Can I take clones while these ladies are flowering. I'd really like a few clones of the beast in the middle.

Take clones from the bottom ASAP.

I'm almost at week 5 of flower. Decided to post some pictures. It's getting pretty crowded in there. Tons of trichs on buds. Some are starting to cloud up a little bit. I'm hoping to gain some more mass to these buds before I have to start flushing. It's hard to take pictures because I can barely fit my arm into the box it's so dense.

Buds Buds everywhere, and damn they're getting trichy.

Is your height issues due to the temps in the box being too high? They stretch when too hot. Please post temp in box and temp of res water

Is your height issues due to the temps in the box being too high? They stretch when too hot. Please post temp in box and temp of res water

Yes temps were the main issue. I was pumping the air temps over 80 during the day (since I am using co2) and they were dropping to the low 60s night 50s at night. It was a rookie mistake as I had the space heater on during the day only,and not at night when it would have been more useful.

The temps in the res also started getting a bit high before I started putting frozen water bottles in the reservoir. A truck the guy at the local hydro shop told me is to put the powderry cotton stuff from the insides of baby diapers in the water bottles before you add water and freeze them. It turns them into ice packs
420-magazine-mobile1232438660.jpg
420-magazine-mobile571462399.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1405414157.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1905232778.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2017693034.jpg

Yes temps were the main issue. I was pumping the air temps over 80 during the day (since I am using co2) and they were dropping to the low 60s night 50s at night. It was a rookie mistake as I had the space heater on during the day only,and not at night when it would have been more useful.

The temps in the res also started getting a bit high before I started putting frozen water bottles in the reservoir. A truck the guy at the local hydro shop told me is to put the powderry cotton stuff from the insides of baby diapers in the water bottles before you add water and freeze them. It turns them into ice packs
420-magazine-mobile1232438660.jpg
420-magazine-mobile571462399.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1405414157.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1905232778.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2017693034.jpg
Cool setup

GOTHAM

Cool setup

GOTHAM

With temp swings like that, you may want to consider running lights at night. I shoot for a max 15 degree variance between day and night.

Back
Top Bottom