Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

Ok, if Stunger will allow a bit more high jack of his thread...

My reference is the book 'Solar Gardening' by Leandre Poisson and Gretchen Vogel Poisson.

The authors describe a system of gardening used by French farmers to produce vegetables out of season, both early and late. They were called "maraichers" who enriched the soil with manures which heated the plants.

"The Marais system was popularly known as a method of producing food under glass. The original appliance used was a bell-shaped glass jar called a cloche, which stood about 16 inches high and measured 17 to 18 inches in diameter. Gardeners placed the cloches over individual plants or seedlings to provide additional heat and protection to the plants and to create a microclimate underneath the glass. The first cloches were made in Italy for the maraichers, but as they became more widely used, the French began producing them domestically."

The description is accompanied by a photo showing "lined up in rank and file formation, 10,000 glass cloches cover this field of lettuce like an army of helmeted soldiers."

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

2 feet high? I was thinking of keeping the seedling safe for a while!
Yeah, me too. :laughtwo: I'm thinking you wouldn't need to protect it all that long. Just enough to get it established.
When I say 2 feet, I was thinking with 3 months of winter ahead it may be best to keep a microclimate cover on it until spring, so I'd need a bit of clearance for growth!

Ok, if Stunger will allow a bit more high jack of his thread...

My reference is the book 'Solar Gardening' by Leandre Poisson and Gretchen Vogel Poisson.

The authors describe a system of gardening used by French farmers to produce vegetables out of season, both early and late. They were called "maraichers" who enriched the soil with manures which heated the plants.

"The Marais system was popularly known as a method of producing food under glass. The original appliance used was a bell-shaped glass jar called a cloche, which stood about 16 inches high and measured 17 to 18 inches in diameter. Gardeners placed the cloches over individual plants or seedlings to provide additional heat and protection to the plants and to create a microclimate underneath the glass. The first cloches were made in Italy for the maraichers, but as they became more widely used, the French began producing them domestically."

The description is accompanied by a photo showing "lined up in rank and file formation, 10,000 glass cloches cover this field of lettuce like an army of helmeted soldiers."

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Thanks Azi, that is really interesting. I just need to find a/some suitable glass, cloches or similar.
Congratulations on the excellent haul @Stunger! Gorgeous buds.
Thanks Jon!
Did I miss the smoke report on the droughted plant? Which do you like the best?
Well you did actually miss the sentence where I said, "Still to come is a smoke report of this harvest. So far I have only tried the final Mango Sherbert, and that is only because I chopped her first". I haven't yet tried the full 20 week buds from the 2 sativas, so far I have only tried the earlier 18 week buds of the sativas, and of course the droughted Mango Sherbert. I will do a smoke report once I have done an evaluation of all of them, but so far very pleasingly, I would place all 3 on the top shelf. I am really rapt with the quality of the buds and of course successfully getting seeds. Cheers.

Backyard farmer greenhouse, if you have a Bunnings nearby mate. From like $15NZD to $50NZD youll get something that will last a season or two. Any size from cpl cubic metres to many.

Its pretty harsh here in the elements, frosts, wind, and hella heat, mine have lasted several years, but I take down mid spring, put up mid autumn.

My favs are ones out of Aldi, came with a tin sheet bottom, like a garden bed, and have a tent shaped top that slides over the top, and a cover more opaque than clear. I have no idea if you have the store there, but even so hard to time the stock as its seasonal.

They all a bit " lightweight" but I just tied to fence for bracing.

Honestly once you start down a greenhouse road you can get addicted.

Not to make it about me, but thats the exact trap Ive fallen in, the couple grand for a halfway decent one seemed super cheap after scoffing at them for years on price alone.

Just my suggestion mate, might be totally impractical, not what you're after, too far to go get etc, but worth giving a try.

Backyard farmer greenhouse, if you have a Bunnings nearby mate. From like $15NZD to $50NZD youll get something that will last a season or two. Any size from cpl cubic metres to many.

Its pretty harsh here in the elements, frosts, wind, and hella heat, mine have lasted several years, but I take down mid spring, put up mid autumn.

My favs are ones out of Aldi, came with a tin sheet bottom, like a garden bed, and have a tent shaped top that slides over the top, and a cover more opaque than clear. I have no idea if you have the store there, but even so hard to time the stock as its seasonal.

They all a bit " lightweight" but I just tied to fence for bracing.

Honestly once you start down a greenhouse road you can get addicted.

Not to make it about me, but thats the exact trap Ive fallen in, the couple grand for a halfway decent one seemed super cheap after scoffing at them for years on price alone.

Just my suggestion mate, might be totally impractical, not what you're after, too far to go get etc, but worth giving a try.
I am sure that sort of style of cheap plastic greenhouses would work nicely. And yes, there is Bunnings and the like nearby to get them from. I will take a closer look at them next time as tbh they do look great for the purpose.

It's just that the main limiting issue for me would be how secure they would hold against strong winds, as we can get absolutely belted here, every year there will be several times of it being over 100kph. When the crap weather hits the balcony which is off the bedroom, I couldn't open the doors without wind and rain sheeting in, and if I did the missus would do her prunes. So to be safe, any solution I try has to be solid enough that it isn't going to come loose in the night and repetitively whack against the glass or worse, that would create a black mark against my future balcony growing days.

But I have to admit, the thought of having the potential to grow over winter, or at least to start plants early that they can be uncovered in spring is a very appealing one. It is worth taking a closer look at that.

When I say 2 feet, I was thinking with 3 months of winter ahead it may be best to keep a microclimate cover on it until spring, so I'd need a bit of clearance for growth!

Thanks Azi, that is really interesting. I just need to find a/some suitable glass, cloches or similar.

Thanks Jon!

Well you did actually miss the sentence where I said, "Still to come is a smoke report of this harvest. So far I have only tried the final Mango Sherbert, and that is only because I chopped her first". I haven't yet tried the full 20 week buds from the 2 sativas, so far I have only tried the earlier 18 week buds of the sativas, and of course the droughted Mango Sherbert. I will do a smoke report once I have done an evaluation of all of them, but so far very pleasingly, I would place all 3 on the top shelf. I am really rapt with the quality of the buds and of course successfully getting seeds. Cheers.
Thanks @Stunger! Sorry I missed that don’t mean to make you repeat yourself!

Just replace your nightstand by the bed with a little mini grow box like @Carcass uses. :laughtwo:

Then you can replace the closet with another and start doing perpetual. Eventually, as you take over more real estate, Mrs. Stunger will move out giving you even more room. The possibilities are almost endless. :rofl:

Congrats on the fruitful harvests, and making a boatload of seeds!
Well done, Stunger!
But I have to admit, the thought of having the potential to grow over winter, or at least to start plants early that they can be uncovered in spring is a very appealing one. It is worth taking a closer look at that.
Other than fully enclosing the balcony, it's going to be tough to find something to dependably stand up to 100 kph winds...
Prunes are a type of dried plum that is apparently great for constipation.
And they actually taste pretty good, too...
Some of us old folks know prunes very well... :cheesygrinsmiley:

Other than fully enclosing the balcony, it's going to be tough to find something to dependably stand up to 100 kph winds...
Maybe a fully weatherproof and properly secured 'Carcass Box' would do it!

(Not exactly sure how one would properly weatherproof a cardboard box, though.)

:rofl:

Haha, well there is a kind of corrugated cardboard that can make boxes that is not made card but plastic, but it would probably fail the 'structural sturdiness' test. But anyway, it is something to think on.. :hmmmm:

Haha, well there is a kind of corrugated cardboard that can make boxes that is not made card but plastic, but it would probably fail the 'structural sturdiness' test. But anyway, it is something to think on.. :hmmmm:

Looks like the site was down for you too when you were about to hit reply. Didn't seem to take, so you hit the reply button a few times wondering if it was your computer.

I've probably got one floating around that I tried to resend maybe a dozen times. :laughtwo:

Haha, well there is a kind of corrugated cardboard that can make boxes that is not made card but plastic
The plastic would let the light show through, so you'd have a real beacon on that balcony at night...
you might be ok with 12/12, but 18/6 would attract some unwanted attention... :cheesygrinsmiley:

The plastic would let the light show through, so you'd have a real beacon on that balcony at night...
you might be ok with 12/12, but 18/6 would attract some unwanted attention... :cheesygrinsmiley:
Cheers Carcass, oh yeah, I wouldn't want a light going on the balcony, even if it was in a light box/wind proof box I'd have no way to get the electricity to it. Nah, I am only considering a glass/plastic box that affords some protection from the cold and weather the winter brings.
How does rhe final product of MS look after droughting?

Hint...we want a picture ha
Cheers Tim <edit> sorry, I have edited that as my wording could give an unintended message. But here are a couple of droughted Mango Sherbert bud pics, see what you think. :)

Back
Top Bottom