Surfbuddy's GLR 2L DWC-H Coco Lowryder - Big Bud - BubbleGum - Northern Lights

Re: Surfbuddy's GLR 2L DWC-H Coco Lowryder, Big Bud, BubbleGum, Northern Lights

Ah, not flushing the coco coir thoroughly before use can be a problem. Fresh out of the bag can range between 5.0-7.0 and of course always calculate -/+(1-3) pH difference. What brand is the coco? (sorry if I missed this)

When I ran mine it never went over 6.5, most of the time stayed around 5.8-6.0...

Brand is sunleaves organic coco coir block

I think what happened is I soaked it great with pH and light premix, but then I read about flushing salts with hot water, so I ran it under the tap with hot water, which is pH 9! Ugh, so i rinsed the salts off but loaded the coco with pH 9 water. Dum-dum-dum-dum-DUMB!

I guess it takes a lot to get it back down, but the plants seem happy for now, so in the medium the pH must be OK, but i worry for roots sitting in pH water that will lock out what they're looking for.

P.S. thanks for that link you posted to GoShawks journal with the topping. Amazing stuff. It was in someone else's journal, but I'm into top/fim-- it looks like he just topped it over and over again.. didn't even go for a fim

FIM Mania + LST

Inspired by Goshawk's repeated topping starting at the 2nd node, I went for FIM's on the three older 2L's today. FIMs were made with fiskars micro tip. An awesome set of shears if you ask me. Delicate and sharp as anything.

Bubble gum 2
FIM_BG2-2012-04-14_23-57-22_631.jpg

Northern Lights 3
FIM_NL3-2012-04-14_23-57-13_512.jpg

BigBud2
Fim_BB2-2012-04-14_23-57-18_641.jpg

Also today, the lowryder2 was looking too leggy to me, so i yanked her down with a pipe cleaner, and literally within an hour, she was pointed back up to the light.
LST_Low2-2012-04-14_23-57-35_512.jpg

I may have made a booboo jostling the other lowryder trying to get more cube down since it seems like the taproot is above the rootRiot cube. I keep covering it with coco to keep it out of the light, but I'm not sure how long it will last.

Fingers crossed that the FIM's turn out to be FIDM's F*ck, I didn't miss!

Ah the water was already at pH9! No worries I think it was a good learning experience for you. Glad to know you've figured out the problem. Now things will be alright with pH! Yes, topping is fun, FIMing mostly use for SCROG. What Goshawk did was continue to top to spread them out as small as possible, while the lights he uses are powerful enough to keep them small not stretchy, so they grow out nice and bushy. This will help shoots up the colas during flowering.

Looking forward to see how yours turns out.

Photo Update:
Three days after FIM, and they are recovering. All are reaching for the light and have much broader leaves than the R-DWC plants--although the BubbleGum and NL have more chubby indica leaves than BigBud.

Group Shot from the top:
2l-dwc-top2012-04-18_07-18-.jpg

Group Shot from the side:
2L-DWC-H-SIDE2012-04-18_07-.jpg

What's amazing is how much they have changed in the 13 days since they got their first leaves. These 2L's were not the biggest of the bunch from the R-DWC, but they certainly are now, even with some transplant shock (although admittedly it seemed like a good shock). They are reaching for the light all the way through the light cycle, and are wider, taller, and healthier looking than their R-DWC counterparts. Now, I am no expert at DWC, so I could be slowing them down :p but I think it speaks volumes for the ease and results achievable by 2L-DWC-H

Looking good. At what strength level are you feeding the plants?

Right now its at 450, and my tap is around 88-90ppm so 360ish. I actually was going to bump it to 1/2 or full veg strength today (about double or 4x the ppm but with 3-2-1 ratio veg-micr-bloom). Your thoughts?

I pulled the pump today in the RDWC to show my mom what it looked like, and found that the intake had slimy, booger like gunk in the intake vents. On closer inspection I found it on the airstones as well. I have decided to dump the whole RDWC. I have to leave town for a couple weeks, and since mom is the one who will have to deal with it, and since I'm struggling, I'm going to switch everything over to 2L-DWC-H. There is just too much maintenance and hassle, and I'm not sure she can even carry the gallons of water it takes for the res to change it.

That said, can I premix nutes for her in 1 Gal jugs so all she has to do is pour them? How long will premix nutes last or stay good? 2 weeks?
Any advice as to what I could add before I go and what she can add later (h2o2, pH down, etc?)

Also, I'm exited to say that Corey has shipped off some BPN to me, so I'll be switching over to those... perhaps I can do a side by side of BPN vs. GH in the 2L-DWC-H instead...

Soaking more coco as we speak - this time only in ph5 and rinsing in ph5! Mistakes only need to be made once, right?

I've also got some 1.5L water bottles that were going to be for res ice blocks, so may use them for hempy too...

OK so all plants from the RDWC are now in coco 2L-DWC-H:
group-shot-transplant2012-0.jpg

BB3 is looking happy with transplant, along with everyone else:
bb3-post-transplant2012-04-.jpg

The original 2L's looked like they were stretching a little, so I laid them down with a little TLC, LST :)
BG2-LST
LST-BG2-2012-04-19_23-50-20.jpg

NL2-LST
LST-NL3-2012-04-19_23-45-16.jpg

BB2-LST
LST-BB2-2012-04-19_23-45-30.jpg

Everyone got a dose of full strength veg nutes (3-2-1 ratio veg, mic, bloom), and will monitor for clawing and tip burn, but so far, it looks like they all love it.

Looking good! How did you upload pics on to here?!

The hard way I am sure, if I have to paste a URL for every pic, I'll stop uploading pics. Too much trouble...

I did have to do it the long way--two windows open, one to the gallery with my images in it. Right click the image, save image URL, then come back to the post, click the little image icon, paste and there it is.

But that's how I was doing it on the old site too... :)

can I premix nutes for her in 1 Gal jugs so all she has to do is pour them? How long will premix nutes last or stay good? 2 weeks?
Any advice as to what I could add before I go and what she can add later (h2o2, pH down, etc?)

Twelve12 = any comment about storing premix?

7-14 days depend on temperature. Best to place the premix in cool dark area to extend the shelf life. However, I always try to mix them fresh to eliminate anything from growing inside and depleting of oxygen in the water.

maybe hes talking about an rdwc

7-14 days depend on temperature. Best to place the premix in cool dark area to extend the shelf life. However, I always try to mix them fresh to eliminate anything from growing inside and depleting of oxygen in the water.
Thanks. I'll make one before I go and she can make one while I'm gone. I'm just trying to get this all dialed in so it's low maintenance for mom till I get back. So to review:
Water daily till roots hit the res, then water every other day, filling to hempy hole
once a week, dump the res, refill to the hempy hole
right?

maybe hes talking about an rdwc
Thanks CHH, but was asking about premix for the 2L. I bailed on my rdwc for now.

P.S. Yea for the new My Photos button on the bottom left of the reply window- easy access to your uploaded photos, although only small size.:thumb:

I bumped all mine up to 800 ppm after the first week which was at 350 ppm. No problems here they're loving it. The little camera button is back if you want to try it out, right next to the insert picture link. It does however make everyone open your pics in a separate window instead of the old slide show viewer :/

Yes, you got the feeding schedule down. Just up the pH and PPM each week and use the right mixture for veg/flower and you're all set.

Look for "Insert what?" within the gallery popup and change it to "Original only" for the image to display correct size.

Back
Top Bottom