Surfbuddy's GLR 2L DWC-H Coco Lowryder - Big Bud - BubbleGum - Northern Lights

Re: Surfbuddy's GLR 2L DWC-H Coco Lowryder, Big Bud, BubbleGum, Northern Lights

Twelve12 -
It's the other grow in my sig. I started out as a DWC, but converted to RDWC when I found res temps too high and not enough space between the bottom of the cups and the water.

Pump sits in bottom res, pumps up to drip feeding DWC above. Bottom of DWC has a bulkhead with one riser to maintain some water in the bottom. Overflow returns to the main res, where the pump is. I'm worried that the coco will fall down to the bottom res and clog the pump. Maybe if I wrap the pump in cheese cloth? I am also concerned about the coco causing algae growth in the res.

I saw recently a pump filter bag that goes on the outside, that I guess would solve it.

A separate question-- watering schedule.. I was going to just wait till the coco dried out, but it is not drying out, presumably because it is sitting in the dwc water in the bottom of the 2L, because my holes are still to high. Should I still water through? I think so, because the pH of the water in the bottom of the 2L is 7.1.. Makes me think I should make the hole even lower. Or maybe soak the coco in lower pH water (i rinsed after soaking with straight tap hot water but my tap water is pH 9.0!)

I have new additions to the GLR 2L DWC-H, and will post photos when I get a chance to open the tent mid day.

Just checked out the setup. Yes, coco may cause clogging if a net screen is not used in the pod. I see you have rockwool with hydrotons, that works great so reserved the coco for 2L use (passive hydroponic). If you want to use coco in RDWC, put a micron net screen in the pod to prevent and reduce the amount of coco falling into the reservoir, which can clog the pump. Cheese cloth the pump can also help too. Yes, algae can grow in any wet environment so take precaution.

Water daily if the root has yet to reached the reservoir. Once they do water/feed every other day will do. Keep the mix at pH 5.8 and if they raised to 6.5+ no worries your next water/feeding (with pH 5.8) will help balance it. Keep the hempy hole same as the cap level but don't go lower then that.

Some photo updates:
R-DWC
DWC2012-04-11_13-11-41_212.jpg

2l-dwc-h w/ new lowryder seedlings in the back
2L-DWC-H2012-04-11_13-11-30.jpg

2L-DWC-H + BUBBLES!
2L-DWC-H-BUBBLES2012-04-11_.jpg

Only one plant has bubbles for now, I want to see if it makes a difference. All three that moved over to the 2L are now bigger with wider leaves, etc. than the RDWC- that didn't take very long, did it?

I was wondering about t'ing off my air pump and putting a small air stone in the bottom of my 2L. Let me know in the next few days if you are liking it!

I hope the airstone does not dry out the growing roots before reaching the reservoir. Best to add them in after root structure already hitting the bottom. :Namaste:

However, very interested to see the differences with and without airstone.

Twelve12 - I figured that since my water level was so high, with a good chunk of the coco sitting in it for now, that the airstone would help aerate what water is being wicked up there... That particular plant already has a root poking out and heading south. Don't want to dry it out, but I'm checking it 2-3 times a day for now...

Wow looks AwesomeSurfbuddy :goodjob:

Thanks JucySoil!

Mid day during the 1 of the GLR, I dumped the res's in all the 2L-DWC-H, and flushed with nute-less 5.5 until the pH of the water coming out was not 7 anymore (3-4 18oz cups) then poured about 8oz of my premix so that there is only a small amount in the res. I also raised the lights to about 7 inches above the babies, up from around 4.
Here is what they look like now, Happy and reaching for light. Bubble Gum
2L-DWC-H-happiness2012-04-1.jpg

Big Bud - 3rd set of leaves. Fimmable? I was going to flower at fourth node, but now may have to wait several weeks... I worry now they will get too big for what I had planned. The tent is only 2x4
2L-DWC-H2012-04-11_20-07-39.jpg

If ur worried about height u can Top and FIm in a week or 2, also u sshould do LSt (low stress trainning) it will make themm more of a bush and better yeilds, check out Tesmps he has a good LST plant

yea if MMP was awesome he would have referred you to check out my LST with TOPs and FIMS ;p lol jk MMP. but yea you should lst and top. FIMS are tough but if you are confident enough, GO FOR IT :) happy growing :Namaste:

I was just saying if he wants to see a plant allmost grown fully and lated ect lol :p if our plants were older id say look at urs :p sunlight jjust hit my plant about 13 hours direct sun light now :) instead of 10am direct sunlight

I was just saying if he wants to see a plant allmost grown fully and lated ect lol :p if our plants were older id say look at urs :p sunlight jjust hit my plant about 13 hours direct sun light now :) instead of 10am direct sunlight
Nice. Outdoors grows only get better as the season goes on.

yea if MMP was awesome he would have referred you to check out my LST with TOPs and FIMS ;p lol jk MMP. but yea you should lst and top. FIMS are tough but if you are confident enough, GO FOR IT :) happy growing :Namaste:
lol I was planning to train these to grow sideways since my lights are t8 4' fixtures and I have more lateral space. I will probably top only if I want to take clones, but for now all are reg seedlings, so don't want to clone males.

If ur worried about height u can Top and FIm in a week or 2, also u sshould do LSt (low stress trainning) it will make themm more of a bush and better yeilds, check out Tesmps he has a good LST plant
I will def. LST, as scary as it seems from some of the pictures I have reviewed, they turn out for the better. I will wait though..

Thanks everyone!

Photos and updates:
This system is so low maintenance and works so well, I feel like dumping the R-DWC and switching everything over.
First photo is all the kids together. Smile! Lowryder seedlings are in the back, with cups removed for the photo shoot. It's amazing, I set them in the cup to germ on the 9th, and they already are showing their first real set of leaves. I have fallen in love with root riot cubes. After struggling with toxic rockwool, I have found a new sprouting/germ medium. Also my water is distilled gal with 6ml hygrozyme and a drop of ST.
2L-DWC-H2012-04-12_20-11-33.jpg

Next up is the NL with the bubbler in the 2L, has one more set of leaves- seems like 1 every other day or so.
2L-DWC-H-NL3-2012-04-12_20-.jpg

Other two kids are happy too. This is Bubble gum in front of my new experiment, another bubble gum but in a 3.75 netpot hempy in a 18 oz red dixie keg party cup. The netpot was in the RDWC, without drip, and was getting plenty of splash from bubbles, but I decided to err on the side of not clogging my pump and overfeeding the tiny seedling that has been struggling since the get-go. Maybe she will be my most bodacious.
2L-DWC-H-BG-2012-04-12_20-1.jpg

And so that she's not lonely the BigBud with lowryders in the back. Cups are cracked open now to adjust them to RH in the room, then will come off tomorrow am.
2L-DWC-H-BB2-2012-04-12_20-.jpg

The bubble gum has roots in the water, which i tested at pH 8! I don't want my roots sitting in that! So I poured it out, and watered through, this time only till it started dripping out the cap.
I did the same with the rest of them too.

Twelve12, did you have this problem? Do you just let the roots sit in the high pH water? It seems like it just pours through at that pH...

Did you use airstone or anything? Was your pH at 5.5-5.8 from start?

The pH in the reservoir did not went over 6.5 when I ran it. Pour the premix in at pH5.5-5.8 it should get as high as 6.5, not sure why it went to 8. Coco is consider hydro so pH the water/feeding to 5.5-5.8 you should be alright.

Twelve12 - only one had an airstone which I since removed because it seemed like the root stopped trying to go down any more

pH was 5.5 from the start.

all my 2L res are showing pH of 7.8-8, i will re-check today during the 1 of GLR

i thought that pouring through would flush the coco... maybe i need to super flush it?

So the pour through is 5.6 and comes out at 7.1 now.
I lowered the pour through to 5.2 and it comes out 6.8. OK
I did this for all the 2L's, using about 2.5 gallons to do it. i guess I didn't rinse the hot tap water off well enough?
I think from now on though, I will target 5.2 for my 2L-DWC-H so that the roots in the res can drink water within the 5.8-6.8 range

Back
Top Bottom