Surfbuddy's 1st DWC BigBud, Northern Lights, BubbleGum Grow Journal 2012

happy 420 surf
gotta do them res changes and clean out the tub when u do ..............

I've seen worse.

Airlines should be black btw. I do suggest if you havent already, read Tulip's tutorial on dwc. It's a good basic guide. You'll also never have a perfectly clean tub in dwc. Yours doesnt look horrible.
Black airlines? OK. Didn't know that. I have read Tulip's thread... I guess I need to revisit it. I thought the tub was supposed to be pristine, so that's a sort of relief.

happy 420 surf
gotta do them res changes and clean out the tub when u do ..............
Happy 420 ChronicHemHog and everyone else! I have been doing res changes twice a week, but never did scrub it. Next time I will be more diligent on the scrub down. I think I need to buy new hoses and pumps. *sigh* maybe I'll just stick w/ 2L :) or maybe go for a 5gal bucket grow instead.

if your pump is working you're fine. just take off the end piece and clean it out real well. even dropping it in a high h202/water mix to soak a bit. If it's one of those black ones with a filter that end comes off with a simple pull. No need to replace it. If you want you can also buy cheesecloth filter bags for it at your hydro store. Basically just using the bag as an external filter and cleaning that as needed to prevent gunk up in the pump.

I suggest in the future using real netpots too. The benefit is because they are much more open, you can bring the water level in early stage up to just touching the hydroton and with a good air pump and stone the bubbling activity can create just enough "pop" to keep them moist till roots grow down out of the cup. One roots are down you can drop the level a little as desired.

I was having similar stuff build up on my airstone. Then i had a funky white/clear substance on my roots... Ive been using bleach between rez changes and i got a new pump and still nothing.. Then i cut the cal/mag because im using 3 part GH anyways. I ended up hooking up my other pump so i have two going now and over night the gunk on the roots vanished, I also made an additional blackout curtain around the tub to eliminate any possible light penetration and those three things turned my roots around, they are blowing up and starting to get hairs all over them. Hopefully that may help you on your next journey.

And i agree with bassman, Between the water level and maybe your stones/pump isnt powerful enough to create that early on "aeroponic" like setting as you want in that stage.

SB, soon as you're able, I highly suggest grabbing a 1/10hp chiller. Cost $200. But then you are going true rdwc and have peace of mind knowing water temps are never an issue. As well, you only have to adjust the ppm/ph in one bucket and let it recirc. You still leave airstones going, but you have a bit more air also in the recirc. Also, with lower temps (being maintained fully I mean) you dissolved oxygen content is much much higher.

If you have any questions when you're ready just pm me.

if your pump is working you're fine. just take off the end piece and clean it out real well. even dropping it in a high h202/water mix to soak a bit. If it's one of those black ones with a filter that end comes off with a simple pull. No need to replace it. If you want you can also buy cheesecloth filter bags for it at your hydro store. Basically just using the bag as an external filter and cleaning that as needed to prevent gunk up in the pump.

I suggest in the future using real netpots too. The benefit is because they are much more open, you can bring the water level in early stage up to just touching the hydroton and with a good air pump and stone the bubbling activity can create just enough "pop" to keep them moist till roots grow down out of the cup. One roots are down you can drop the level a little as desired.
It's just a cheapo fountain pump-- it doesn't even look like it comes apart or even has a filter, just a plastic grate. I'll clean it thoroughly with h202 before next use. I read about those bags... was going to make one, but didn't. I guess I'll go pick one up for next time. Thanks for the tips.

I agree with you about the netpots too. Was a PITA to put holes in the dixie cups, and messy too. It's worth the buck for a reusable netcup. I think too my problem was that they were getting bubbled on AND i had a drip coming into the cup, so they were always wet. :(

I was having similar stuff build up on my airstone. Then i had a funky white/clear substance on my roots... Ive been using bleach between rez changes and i got a new pump and still nothing.. Then i cut the cal/mag because im using 3 part GH anyways. I ended up hooking up my other pump so i have two going now and over night the gunk on the roots vanished, I also made an additional blackout curtain around the tub to eliminate any possible light penetration and those three things turned my roots around, they are blowing up and starting to get hairs all over them. Hopefully that may help you on your next journey.

And i agree with bassman, Between the water level and maybe your stones/pump isnt powerful enough to create that early on "aeroponic" like setting as you want in that stage.
I think that the growth probably started before I had a good handle on the light coming into the res. Then once it was there, it just started breaking down, getting gummier. I think too that I had too many plants for the tub (13 plants in a 10 gallon) which complicated water heights (there was so much sag that the middle plants were much lower in the res) I'm not using cal-mag, but I am using tap water.... I will employ more, better airstones next time.

SB, soon as you're able, I highly suggest grabbing a 1/10hp chiller. Cost $200. But then you are going true rdwc and have peace of mind knowing water temps are never an issue. As well, you only have to adjust the ppm/ph in one bucket and let it recirc. You still leave airstones going, but you have a bit more air also in the recirc. Also, with lower temps (being maintained fully I mean) you dissolved oxygen content is much much higher.

If you have any questions when you're ready just pm me.

I think for the next round I'm going to try 5 gallon buckets... but not sure if I have the space for venting the heat of the chiller... I am having heat issues as it is. I'll pm questions ;-)

Thanks to both Bassman and albatross :):thumb:

Yeah i think that was my problem as well and its virtually vanished over the past few days once i got those on lock. I also think you had to to many plants in a 10g rez lol. Plants will transpire 95% of what they absorb. I'm in 5gal, and i live in the south so ive been trying some different methods to control my room/rez temps let me know if i can help/take pics etc.

Are you using a tent? I have my chiller outside my tent and run the lines through the vent holes.

I think you mentioned early on you were following some of my setup from my journals? If so, in regards to using tubs and multiple plants, allow me to offer this from my past experience:

1. Tubs are great for growing out rooting clones when you want to grow out 4-8 depending on tubs size of course. Planning on using 3.75" netpots and taking your 8-10 inch girls in veg out of the tub and transferring to a tub with only 2-3 plants max. But that depends on how big you want to grow them. Three in your avg 10-12gal tub can be over crowded if you're going big. Even two can be too much if going wide like I am now with defoliation and bending.

2. You can also grow from clone in same tubs 2-3 if so desired (or seed for that matter). But if using drip type setup, I liked just running a hose to each cube in each netpot with the slightest of drizzle until the roots were in the water then pull the pump.

3. You can run rdwc like I did with mine, but it can also be a little bit of a pain to equalize level if you're only using small 3/4" hose. Having shutoff valves to turn down the flow in one or another on the exit is helpful to get the levels working even, but it's a pain in the ass to set.

4. One drawback to tubs and multiple med-large plants is the small netpots are not stable enough and you are forced to tie stalks to tent frames or whatever to prevent leaning or falling over of the entire plant when they get buddy and heavy.

I am really liking using 5gal buckets with 6" (or more) netpots. The stability is great and while I use more water and nutrient because of volume, it seems to be simpler in the end.

Are you using a tent? I have my chiller outside my tent and run the lines through the vent holes.

I think you mentioned early on you were following some of my setup from my journals? If so, in regards to using tubs and multiple plants, allow me to offer this from my past experience:

1. Tubs are great for growing out rooting clones when you want to grow out 4-8 depending on tubs size of course. Planning on using 3.75" netpots and taking your 8-10 inch girls in veg out of the tub and transferring to a tub with only 2-3 plants max. But that depends on how big you want to grow them. Three in your avg 10-12gal tub can be over crowded if you're going big. Even two can be too much if going wide like I am now with defoliation and bending.

2. You can also grow from clone in same tubs 2-3 if so desired (or seed for that matter). But if using drip type setup, I liked just running a hose to each cube in each netpot with the slightest of drizzle until the roots were in the water then pull the pump.

3. You can run rdwc like I did with mine, but it can also be a little bit of a pain to equalize level if you're only using small 3/4" hose. Having shutoff valves to turn down the flow in one or another on the exit is helpful to get the levels working even, but it's a pain in the ass to set.

4. One drawback to tubs and multiple med-large plants is the small netpots are not stable enough and you are forced to tie stalks to tent frames or whatever to prevent leaning or falling over of the entire plant when they get buddy and heavy.

I am really liking using 5gal buckets with 6" (or more) netpots. The stability is great and while I use more water and nutrient because of volume, it seems to be simpler in the end.

I am using a tent, but outside temps in the daytime are 80-84, so with lights on it's hard to keep temps near 80, add a chiller, add more heat. Maybe I could put it in the attic?

1. Overcrowding is going to be an issue, I can tell already. I have had to extend my veg period for two weeks though. I like the idea of less, larger plants. I think I'm going to go with 5 gals and big netpots--I think I saw lids in the hydro store...
2. So tubs for clones. You know I had such a flop with the drip last time, I am wary to try it again, and instead just bubble.
3. When I had the two tubs on RDWC, it was a huge pain to equalize, and I told myself never again :) Maybe that's something worth buying prefab to get all the holes at exactly the right height...
4. Hmmm, didn't think about that. Maybe I should not veg the extra two weeks. Thing is I won't be around and mom will have to sex the babies. If they veg two more weeks, they will be giants.

I think I'm going to follow your lead on the 5gal buckets, just not sure I want to try to DIY it like you did... I'm on the 2nd floor and can't have leaks. And I know if you had leaks, I'll definitely have leaks :)

Honestly if i go bigger im just gonna use 2-3 gal buckets that aren't connected. I am able to spend at least an hour or so with my plants every day so thats not my issue, which i feel is why people go that route to save time/energy. Also if one of my plants decides to get sick i dont want to have to clean all that out, assuming i catch in in time and the rest of my plants don't suffer. I give y'all mad props for it, im not plumber so its over my head at this point. I was thinking about running a pvc pipe through the side of 2 buckets however, They could share eachothers water and i dont think it would be that hard. However idk quite an undertaking for me :) if i decide to build it youll be the first to know!( thought the pvp pipe would be good to, i could stick it through ice etc.

Gotta go pick up nephew from college. But I want to respond to your stuff above. Maybe offer some ideas to keep it easy.

Outside temps here basically stay at 100f from July-Aug at night and 105-118f during the daytime. Naturally we run the hell out of our AC and pay through the nose for electricity during those months. Thankfully the AC vent in the room is very near the tent vent. But it's still costing me extra $$ to keep it cool during the summer. Today it's 96f outside and we're only in APRIL!

I bought prefab for my first foray into this. I wouldn't do it again now that I understand this stuff better. You can diy and save lots of money while getting exactly what you want.

On doing it yourself with 5 gal buckets, I think possibly the best way to go is with pvc and using uniseals. They are a bit of a pain in the ass to install the pvc, but they dont leak and you can adjust length by just making each length a little bit longer than your measurement. But it will take a fair amount of elbow grease to adjust. I feel like the grommet gig is more trouble. If you simply pick up the buckets, this allows the bucket to self rotate a lil bit and then you have a pin leak. It may reseal but then again..

Another option to grommets and staying with soft line and may be the best choice of all is threaded fittings with sealing washers inside and out. They are made with or without shutoff valves as well. I think if one could find these in 1" hose size that would be awesome. Then taper down to 1/2" for the recirc pump. I'm not absolutely positive these will be leak free on curved surfaces however. Hence one might need to go with square buckets and netpot lids or cut netpots in.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Thanks Bass-

Those temps are nutz!!!

I understand that with the knowledge you have now that you wouldn't go prefab, but part of that knowledge came from the prefab system too, right?

I definitely don't want pin leaks, but can you even pick up the pvc connected buckets once it's all connected and full of water?

I do have some 1" bulkhead fittings, but no valve that size. I do have 3/4" valves... I would like valves at each bucket, just in case. I think you're right about needing square buckets instead of round ones.. I just don't think it would seal as well. I won't get to use a prefab lid, but if it don't leak, I don't care.

Lots of great ideas! Thanks again!

lol, no you dont pick em up loaded.

There are some prefab buckets/lids out there that are square.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us!

I’m moving this to completed journals now.

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom