Taking clones made very simple & cheap

So I was lucky enough to be rewarded with a heat mat and thermo controller.
By @Mars Hydro
And the controller in Itself is incredible

So as promised I’ll be showing how I take my cuts and many cuts at that. I’m so confident in my way of doing it, 1. I’ll be updating live to show progress. Rather than showing success after the project is done.
2. Iv drove to other citys and taken cuts my self from friends plants and drove them back hours away and still rooted them, confidently from scratch day1.

The heat may and controller will show the speed of success vs not using a heat mats for cuts. The difference will show time of rooting and health of clone by the time is does root and feed on its own. So. Hopefully you guys don’t think it’s cheesy and make fun of me to much.

Pics are the clones that will be on the heat mat. Next post will show photos of the cuts that will not be on the heat mat and just on their own.

All cuts taken at same time.
Pics in this post are all garlic kush from sensi.

What I do is this:
1. I take my cuts. Selectively. I take very small cuttings because iv got my success rate very high. I recommend beginners give at least 4-5 nodes. Giving space for error on prep.
2. I use tiny mouth wash cups and dr earth rooting medium. Seed starter mix with mycros. Home made plugs.
3. Domes are green 2 liter bottles. Idk if the green helps. But I’m keeping everything identical for @Mars Hydro to show how their mat works.
3 tray is a jiffy micro green house. I just need the tray.
4. I take my traditional style cuts at 4nodes and 45 degrees. Root one hormone. And superthrive in 12oz cup of water.
5 turn my home made plugs into clone starters (pressing tiny holes in center)
6 mist and Check daily of coarse. But I really just plug mist and forget for a week.
7 you’ll notice the plug will dry out fast outta the blue. That’s the dead obvious answer of roots. You do not wanna leave them in these plugs for long. Transplant immediately after roots. Never had a problem with Harding off.

You’ll notice I have my temp set to 80f. That’s what iv aimed for years. Roots in 5-10 days 99% of the time. I might raise it to 85 due to the fact my tent my be ambient 80f.

Do not over care. Biggest no no. Leave them alone. They are SEVERELY injured and do not need a giant human bugging them slowing down a very vulnerable moment in their new young lives.

Please enjoy and hopefully this is educational in a positive way. Thx again @Mars Hydro for letting me do this. Hopefully you’ll allow me to use other products to review. I promise you won’t regret it :).

C2137C2B-69EF-4D0E-8439-6AA47A6C6465.jpeg

FA5B4F3D-7FD0-404C-950E-E51DF9B7433F.jpeg

7A869600-98F0-4F5D-85E7-89CA9D26DF0B.jpeg

1963F12C-6BCC-459B-B694-87E52D705278.jpeg

9E851498-9FDF-4E8B-9088-CEEE1B057C91.jpeg

5C505C95-D555-444E-BC3B-B75034638303.jpeg

IMO putting a bulb under a table is the "cheap" heat mat method. I suppose being gifted a heat mat could be considered cheap however not everyone has access to this type of cheap.

Successful method of cloning would have been a better description. Cheap method is what I would consider clickbait.

Looks great! Congrats on the new mat and temperature controller. Is the controller for the mat or for the whole tent? Also, why do people cut the leaves on clones?

IMO putting a bulb under a table is the "cheap" heat mat method. I suppose being gifted a heat mat could be considered cheap however not everyone has access to this type of cheap.

Successful method of cloning would have been a better description. Cheap method is what I would consider clickbait.
Actually not using a mat at all is cheap. But this is a sponsored item that I’m using to show how their product works. With and without. Showing the rapid progression of roots in a soil medium.

I’m using .05 cent mouth wash cups
.10 cents solo cups
.00 recycled plastic.

That’s 15 cents in purchased equipment

Looks great! Congrats on the new mat and temperature controller. Is the controller for the mat or for the whole tent? Also, why do people cut the leaves on clones?
The controller has a thermometer attached to it and its own plug. So it can be used for more than just the heat mat.
When I’m not taking cuts. I’m using the controller for more accurate temperature reads in parts of the tent. I have an ac infinity tent. So everything can be controlled and mounted outside the tent with out opening anything. If you didn want to lol.

Day 4. Tomorrow I will start checking for roots. Iv had roots as early as 5 days on my amnesia before. But this is the garlic and iv never proped this strain yet which makes this test all the better.

And everything’s as healthy as the day I cut them

E7E35700-F0C6-471B-A1A4-F280A5FDBA72.jpeg

7E48F4A2-EBDA-4009-8371-600478EB35AC.jpeg

E3BF640E-E6F8-40DE-9C19-8844EB83C3E6.jpeg

Starting to give them 25 min of fresh air. No mat they wilted a bit after 10 min
With mat they did not wilt at all. Hardening off will be sooner than expected.
But all 4 look fine, other than the minor leaf damage on the ones with no mat.
Everything should be rotted to exposure in a few days. Just wanna see who’s first.

160D3891-8B1D-4C19-AB97-E666FAA9BD63.jpeg

991DD6D7-6D62-4128-A852-1F2EBBC3FD18.jpeg

880323D5-8CC0-4AC3-AA29-AC5BDBE2CFC2.jpeg

I'd still like to know about the cut leaves. I have been doing it that way since I started. The only reason for me was "that's the way successful growers were doing it," on the info I was privy to. If it makes no difference or slows things down, it would be good to know.

I'd still like to know about the cut leaves. I have been doing it that way since I started. The only reason for me was "that's the way successful growers were doing it," on the info I was privy to. If it makes no difference or slows things down, it would be good to know.
I’m taking more cuts later today. I WILL NOT cut leaves vs ones with. New experiment

keeps the cutting directed to making roots over cannibalizing itself to support new top growth
also keeps debris from dying leaf tips down and slows how fast the cutting draws from the leaf

edit : it's not a deal breaker if you don't depending on how well you clone. i only snip the larger fans on my cuttings. a bigger cutting will always root better as well.

So glad you are running this experiment.

For a couple of years I was taking cuttings and putting them in a homemade bubbler. I paid very little attention to them and they almost always rooted.

I then moved to a new space in the house and started using the same bubbler in the same way and I couldn't get any of them to grow roots anymore. I eventually moved to using peat plugs and rockwool to average success.

I have started thinking that the problem may be heat. My former cloning space was a shelf above the grow tent which, by its location, was fairly warm. The new location was on a counter and relatively cool in the winter here.

I'll be watching to see how yours works out and I may try a mat for the cloning myself.

By the way, I read somewhere that you cut the leaves to reduce transpiring which is the evaporation of water from the leaves. Supposedly it leaves the plant to devote energy to root development rather than on the evaporation and growing leaves.

So glad you are running this experiment.

For a couple of years I was taking cuttings and putting them in a homemade bubbler. I paid very little attention to them and they almost always rooted.

I then moved to a new space in the house and started using the same bubbler in the same way and I couldn't get any of them to grow roots anymore. I eventually moved to using peat plugs and rockwool to average success.

I have started thinking that the problem may be heat. My former cloning space was a shelf above the grow tent which, by its location, was fairly warm. The new location was on a counter and relatively cool in the winter here.

I'll be watching to see how yours works out and I may try a mat for the cloning myself.

By the way, I read somewhere that you cut the leaves to reduce transpiring which is the evaporation of water from the leaves. Supposedly it leaves the plant to devote energy to root development rather than on the evaporation and growing leaves.
That’s what iv read over the years. And done. But even the cuts I take and don’t cut tips. Like when I just leave them in water. They still seem to root. So with effort added. Will it be the same. Idk. I will find out next.

Back
Top Bottom