The Everything SWICK Club: 2023 And Beyond

Yes, that may be a problem for future reference. I should ask 420 to change it for me to Pondwater. The edit feature is off on previous posts.
This is a pic of Hash Hounds plant riser that he uses with wicks attached and draped in the res.
That's probably a good idea to ask 420 to change it for you.
I read a few of Pondwater's threads, and the content is very different from Hash Hound's.
I look forward to getting his URL, and reviewing his thread.
I've got to refocus right now, but I hope to be back later.

But, sister, is it possible to copy the URL from @Hashhound 's thread, and post it here, please?
Because I can't find him in search, or advanced search!
Thank you!
:thanks:

Oops!!
I thought I had it, but I guess not!
@Hashhound , may we please have the URL of your SIP SWICK side-by-side?
Thanks!
Sorry, I have no sip swick comparison thread.

I can say they have been my main method

I used to use those same dish pans and water half top half bottom and it actually worked as good as a swick, it would suck up the bottom within an hour.
The main reason I started using swicks was a real bad gnat infestation. I wanted dryer soil up top to help get rid of them and it did. Between that and the growstone mulch bags I'm using now I rarely see any.
I only feed tea or top dress 2 maybe 3 times during flower. Other than that, bottom water.
I liked the results and have been using them or other methods of sip for the last two years.

this is a pic of what Carmen posted a link to

This is also something I tried. They fit in the bottom of a 5g pot. Work great outdoor for the tomato.
I haven't used it in a 5g indoor yet, but I cut one down a bit and used it for a swick platform.
It was to unstable and needed propped up with pieces of 2x4.
It worked ok but I like the plant risers better.

Sorry, I have no sip swick comparison thread.

I can say they have been my main method

I used to use those same dish pans and water half top half bottom and it actually worked as good as a swick, it would suck up the bottom within an hour.
The main reason I started using swicks was a real bad gnat infestation. I wanted dryer soil up top to help get rid of them and it did. Between that and the growstone mulch bags I'm using now I rarely see any.
I only feed tea or top dress 2 maybe 3 times during flower. Other than that, bottom water.
I liked the results and have been using them or other methods of sip for the last two years.

this is a pic of what Carmen posted a link to

This is also something I tried. They fit in the bottom of a 5g pot. Work great outdoor for the tomato.
I haven't used it in a 5g indoor yet, but I cut one down a bit and used it for a swick platform.
It was to unstable and needed propped up with pieces of 2x4.
It worked ok but I like the plant risers better.

Thank you HH for showing us these two models. I can't seem to find plant risers here in South Africa. I am not imaginative enough to think of alternatives. If anyone has suggestions, please make them here.

Sorry I mixed up authors of threads. Pondwater is the author of the thread I am thinking of.

Looks like a great thread. Count me in. I am currently using some commercially available 1-gallon swicks (the AC Infinity self-watering bases with 1/4 inch wicks). I’m waiting to test some Octopots (sips), so I should get some new experience with both types. I look forward to following along.

E68656D9-F24E-4771-91E2-9C70336BFBAD.jpeg

AAFC7466-DEAF-4957-9F44-B731CAE9855E.jpeg

Looks like a great thread. Count me in. I am currently using some commercially available 1-gallon swicks (the AC Infinity self-watering bases with 1/4 inch wicks). I’m waiting to test some Octopots (sips), so I should get some new experience with both types. I look forward to following along.

E68656D9-F24E-4771-91E2-9C70336BFBAD.jpeg

AAFC7466-DEAF-4957-9F44-B731CAE9855E.jpeg
Hi and welcome Twalte. That looks like a state of the art set up there. I need to find something I can use as a wicking plate. The perlite I am using is a messy business. Looking forward to watching this conversation develop.

Thanks!
What other SIP methods have you tried?
And which SIP method do you like best?

..... I need to find something I can use as a wicking plate. .....

any shallow +/-5"high? plastic tote with a lid, large enough for a 5g bag to sit on. Drill holes under where the bag will sit and two slots for your wick. You might need to put some support inside if the tote lid isn't strong enough. I've seen that somewhere on here.

same principal here, you could cut the bottom 4 or 5+ inches off of a 3 or 5gl bucket or any plastic container and turn it upside down. drill some holes in the top for air and some on the sides and bottom to let water in. either cut slots in the top for your wick to go through or just drape the wicks over the sides. put it n a reservoir.

I forgot to post this with the other riser pic

Thanks!
What other SIP methods have you tried?
And which SIP method do you like best?
Regular sip with soil filled cup in the res
Wicks up in to the soil and Hempy
I also have a sip/hempy hybrid where instead of the hole at 2" i have an 1/2" elbow on the bottom with a riser tube I can adjust to any height and turn down to drain or flush or to bottom feed. I have two pieces of plastic drywall corner bead down inside the back corners for air since there is no 2" hole.
Works great, perlite or soil

you could cut the bottom 4 or 5+ inches off of a 3 or 5gl bucket or any plastic container and turn it upside down. drill some holes in the top for air and some on the sides and bottom to let water in. either cut slots in the top for your wick to go through or just drape the wicks over the sides. put it n a reservoir.
:thumb:
I also have a sip/hempy hybrid where instead of the hole at 2" i have an 1/2" elbow on the bottom with a riser tube I can adjust to any height and turn down to drain or flush or to bottom feed. I have two pieces of plastic drywall corner bead down inside the back corners for air since there is no 2" hole.
Ok, thanks, HashHound!

:nicethread:

any shallow +/-5"high? plastic tote with a lid, large enough for a 5g bag to sit on. Drill holes under where the bag will sit and two slots for your wick. You might need to put some support inside if the tote lid isn't strong enough. I've seen that somewhere on here.

same principal here, you could cut the bottom 4 or 5+ inches off of a 3 or 5gl bucket or any plastic container and turn it upside down. drill some holes in the top for air and some on the sides and bottom to let water in. either cut slots in the top for your wick to go through or just drape the wicks over the sides. put it n a reservoir.

I forgot to post this with the other riser pic

Could I use this?
SS Pasta drainer
Screenshot (287).png

It would need holes drilled in the top for wicks because the existing drainage holes are not big enough.
Ok, but that's easy enough to do, because there are already pilot holes.

It would need holes drilled in the top for wicks because the existing drainage holes are not big enough.
That colander will be going into something that to holds water so why not simply drape your wicks over the top? Maybe crisscross a couple and see how it works. They wouldn't be attached so you'd have to pay attention when you moved the plant pot, but if you did it that way, no build required.

That colander will be going into something that to holds water so why not simply drape your wicks over the top? Maybe crisscross a couple and see how it works. They wouldn't be attached so you'd have to pay attention when you moved the plant pot, but if you did it that way, no build required.
You know me Azi lol. That's an excellent idea, thank you.

Gonna follow along if that's OK. I used to grow a lot of hempy. Different but similar but different. Lol. Hope everyone had a good holidaze

That was also my thought.

Back
Top Bottom