The Everything SWICK Club: 2023 And Beyond

Gonna follow along if that's OK. I used to grow a lot of hempy. Different but similar but different. Lol. Hope everyone had a good holidaze
Welcome MadDabber it's good to have you on board. Great holidays here and hope yours were good too.

@Carmen Ray How big is that strainer? what will you use for a res?
The strainers come in different sizes 26 cm, 28 cm, 30cm and 32cm. The fabric 5 G is (20 L) is 30cm diam. The 28cm are out of stock. I wondered if the 26cm would be big enough to hold the pot or if I need to get the 30cm. I would continue to use the plastic dish washing basins that I am using now as they have good depth. They are probably about 40cm diam and will hold the 30 cm strainer. What are your thoughts?

Alternatively, I have these Bato pots upside down and I have tested to see if they are sturdy enough to hold the 20 L (5 G) wet soil filled pots and they do. I was thinking I could thread wicks through the slits and use cake coolers as wicking plate on top of the legs. They are almost as tall as the basins with a couple of inches of clearance at the top. I thought the legs raising the pots would provide beneficial air exchange with the bottom of the grow bags.
DSC_0934.jpg
DSC_0936.jpg
DSC_0937.jpg

I kind of like the second idea as I already have the components and there is no build required.

The strainers come in different sizes 26 cm, 28 cm, 30cm and 32cm. The fabric 5 G is (20 L) is 30cm diam. The 28cm are out of stock. I wondered if the 26cm would be big enough to hold the pot or if I need to get the 30cm. I would continue to use the plastic dish washing basins that I am using now as they have good depth. They are probably about 40cm diam and will hold the 30 cm strainer. What are your thoughts?'
Hahaha, my thought is that I am confused! :hmmmm:
Umm, what is your setup again? :hmmmm:

*If I was trying to mimic the GroTech 5G SIP, and I wanted a soil wick like they provide, I would use a slightly smaller stainless steel strainer inside a slightly larger bucket, so as to get the wicking foot all the way around the rim (which also seems like it would provide for better root spread).

However, if I was trying to (s)wick up with wicks, I think if it was me I would get me da 32cm mon, just to give me pots a tad bit more stability.
But maybe I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish?

Hahaha, my thought is that I am confused! :hmmmm:
Umm, what is your setup again? :hmmmm:

*If I was trying to mimic the GroTech 5G SIP, and I wanted a soil wick like they provide, I would use a slightly smaller stainless steel strainer inside a slightly larger bucket, so as to get the wicking foot all the way around the rim (which also seems like it would provide for better root spread).

However, if I was trying to (s)wick up with wicks, I think if it was me I would get me da 32cm mon, just to give me pots a tad bit more stability.
But maybe I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish?
I have to keep my set up very simple and easy to disassemble. I don't have access to power tools and my DIY ability is poor. I am growing on my dining room table so space is an issue as is water and electrical safety.

My current set up is that each pot has its own dedicated perlite swick in a plastic basin which acts as the reservoir. The cloth pot is placed on the top of the damp perlite and wicks into the soil like that, offering an air gap in the top few inches of perlite. This is very simple but the perlite swick is very messy.

I prefer the set up that Hash Hound is using, where he wicks using cloth wicks that come together on a wicking plate. This is not so messy and can also be accomplished simply and without power tools.

I am not trying to mimic the GroTech 5G SIP. My thinking is that Swicking provides the same kind of sub-irrigation as the more complicated SIPs without the complication.

I don't know if you saw my edit in my previous post, where I show the Bato pot set up?

I have to keep my set up very simple and easy to disassemble. I don't have access to power tools and my DIY ability is poor. I am growing on my dining room table so space is an issue as is water and electrical safety.

My current set up is that each pot has its own dedicated perlite swick in a plastic basin which acts as the reservoir. The cloth pot is placed on the top of the damp perlite and wicks into the soil like that, offering an air gap in the top few inches of perlite. This is very simple but the perlite swick is very messy.

I prefer the set up that Hash Hound is using, where he wicks using cloth wicks that come together on a wicking plate. This is not so messy and can also be accomplished simply and without power tools.

I am not trying to mimic the GroTech 5G SIP. My thinking is that Swicking provides the same kind of sub-irrigation as the more complicated SIPs without the complication.

I don't know if you saw my edit in my previous post, where I show the Bato pot set up?
Ahh, ok. Thanks for 'splaining! No, I did not see the edit to your previous post (sorry!)
I assume height is an issue? (If height was not an issue, I would go SIP.)

I think if I wanted a low profile low tech SWICK setup I would do something very similar to what you are doing.
I would probably get the 32cm ss strainer (for stability), and lay wicks across the top. And if it is too dry, add a wick. And if it is too wet, pick up a wick.
At least that is kind of what I am planning for when I try SWICK.

I have had the same question as to whether SWICK provides the same air gapping advantages as SIP. I was very excited when you said @Hashhound was doing a side by side.
I want to do a side-by-side, but for me time is the huge issue (I know there is always enough, but it seems like there is never enough!).

I have four of the 5G AC infinity SWICK pots.
One day I want to do a side-by-side with SIP, but at the moment I think SIP is where I need to focus (because I need to stuff some jars, and SIP is going great right now, so I am going to stick with a winner).
But I still want to experiment with SWICK for when I want to do some large 40G swicks or sips for native Colombian sativas--but that won't be for a while yet (as I first need to fix issues with my soil).

For me I would think either of the wide colanders would provide a simple, low profile SWICK.
If it was me I would get the 32cm, just for extra stability (and in case I wanted to use a 7G pot in the future).
I don't know how it honestly compares to SIP yet but I think prolly similar, so I would definitely give it a go, especially if I had height restrictions.

Ahh, ok. Thanks for 'splaining! No, I did not see the edit to your previous post (sorry!)
I assume height is an issue? (If height was not an issue, I would go SIP.)

I think if I wanted a low profile low tech SWICK setup I would do something very similar to what you are doing.
I would probably get the 32cm ss strainer (for stability), and lay wicks across the top. And if it is too dry, add a wick. And if it is too wet, pick up a wick.
At least that is kind of what I am planning for when I try SWICK.

I have had the same question as to whether SWICK provides the same air gapping advantages as SIP. I was very excited when you said @Hashhound was doing a side by side.
I want to do a side-by-side, but for me time is the huge issue (I know there is always enough, but it seems like there is never enough!).

I have four of the 5G AC infinity SWICK pots.
One day I want to do a side-by-side with SIP, but at the moment I think SIP is where I need to focus (because I need to stuff some jars, and SIP is going great right now, so I am going to stick with a winner).
But I still want to experiment with SWICK for when I want to do some large 40G swicks or sips for native Colombian sativas--but that won't be for a while yet (as I first need to fix issues with my soil).

For me I would think either of the wide colanders would provide a simple, low profile SWICK.
If it was me I would get the 32cm, just for extra stability (and in case I wanted to use a 7G pot in the future).
I don't know how it honestly compares to SIP yet but I think prolly similar, so I would definitely give it a go, especially if I had height restrictions.
I need to make a correction. I was mistaken when I said Hash Hound was doing a comparison. It was Pondwater. 420 have changed that in my introduction so it now reflects the correct info :420:

So I'm sure you all know. But my goal for this technique is to use 2 5 gallon buckets. When I was around the forums last this is what I was looking into. There are different variations but simplest is just to drill a ton of quarter inch to 1/8 inch holes in the bottom of a home depot bucket. Place the bucket with holes inside an "unholy" bucket. Add a down pipe (pvc) and then fill with dirt. The down pipe may also have a couple holes near the bottom to prevent clogging etc.

Some variations use hydroton at the bottom (to aid with wicking) or use a net pot in place of the multi hole technique.

This is a great way to grow. While I have never attempted a true sip or swick. I have used hempy with great results.

The issue when using a salt based fetalizer is you run the risk of salt buildup and lockout as a result. My goal was to implement these sip style planters outdoors this year. If it's a water only regimen I can't imagine salt build up being an issue. I could see top feeding being necessary if and when the pot requires some top dressing amendments. But overall I'm stoked to run some of these in my greenhouse this summer!

both of your ideas look good to me Carmen
Thank you HH. I went with the Bato pots and cake coolers with cloth and wicks. Just in time too because the second batch of perlite had gone septic in the reservoir. I think it is a bad idea to feed organic supplements in a perlite swick. I wonder if that is common.

The bottom cake cooler didn't fit into the reservoir so the Bato pot goes directly into the basin without a stand
DSC_0941.jpg

I can add or remove wicks depending on need
DSC_0943.jpg

So I'm sure you all know. But my goal for this technique is to use 2 5 gallon buckets. When I was around the forums last this is what I was looking into. There are different variations but simplest is just to drill a ton of quarter inch to 1/8 inch holes in the bottom of a home depot bucket. Place the bucket with holes inside an "unholy" bucket. Add a down pipe (pvc) and then fill with dirt. The down pipe may also have a couple holes near the bottom to prevent clogging etc.

Some variations use hydroton at the bottom (to aid with wicking) or use a net pot in place of the multi hole technique.

This is a great way to grow. While I have never attempted a true sip or swick. I have used hempy with great results.

The issue when using a salt based fetalizer is you run the risk of salt buildup and lockout as a result. My goal was to implement these sip style planters outdoors this year. If it's a water only regimen I can't imagine salt build up being an issue. I could see top feeding being necessary if and when the pot requires some top dressing amendments. But overall I'm stoked to run some of these in my greenhouse this summer!
Please share some pics of your set up as you go :)

Sorry, I have no sip swick comparison thread.

I can say they have been my main method

I used to use those same dish pans and water half top half bottom and it actually worked as good as a swick, it would suck up the bottom within an hour.
The main reason I started using swicks was a real bad gnat infestation. I wanted dryer soil up top to help get rid of them and it did. Between that and the growstone mulch bags I'm using now I rarely see any.
I only feed tea or top dress 2 maybe 3 times during flower. Other than that, bottom water.
I liked the results and have been using them or other methods of sip for the last two years.
Totally with you Hash Hound - couldn't agree more, even the gnats

I need to make a correction. I was mistaken when I said Hash Hound was doing a comparison. It was Pondwater. 420 have changed that in my introduction so it now reflects the correct info :420:
Thanks, Carmen! Yes, I think it will be clearer for others. Good call!

Thank you HH. I went with the Bato pots and cake coolers with cloth and wicks. Just in time too because the second batch of perlite had gone septic in the reservoir. I think it is a bad idea to feed organic supplements in a perlite swick. I wonder if that is common.

The bottom cake cooler didn't fit into the reservoir so the Bato pot goes directly into the basin without a stand
DSC_0941.jpg

I can add or remove wicks depending on need
DSC_0943.jpg
I am a noob, but I like your Bato idea! It looks like it should work great!

Totally with you Hash Hound - couldn't agree more, even the gnats
Hi Roy. I was loving the white-fly-free environment of SIPs until I had a soil issue (my fault), and had to start top-watering with CalMag. Now the white flies are back!
So I will be glad when I get my soil fixed, so I can go back to the occasional top-watering in SIP or SWICK, with no more white flies!

I could be reading that wrong but it sounds more SIPpy than SWICKy. If you haven't seen it, the SIP thread is here:

Yeah its a SIPPERY slope lol. If the res has wicking media its a swick? No media is a sip? Lol we should review spog scrog and sog too lol

Yeah its a SIPPERY slope lol. If the res has wicking media its a swick? No media is a sip? Lol we should review spog scrog and sog too lol
Haha, I think the prejudice is that if it has a soil wick is it SIP, and if it has an artificial wick it is SWICK??
Not sure. I need a scorecard! haha.

It was Hash Hound who said to me that all swicks are indeed SIPs! However, not all SIP's are swicks. He gave me an explanation for why there is an S in the name "swick", but I can't remember what it was, oh dear. SIP stands for sub-irrigated planter, so it means any setup that feeds water from the bottom up, in my opinion. @Hash Hound please will you remind me what the S is for in swick, and try to explain what makes the swick the swick compared with other SIPs?

It was Hash Hound who said to me that all swicks are indeed SIPs! However, not all SIP's are swicks. He gave me an explanation for why there is an S in the name "swick", but I can't remember what it was, oh dear. SIP stands for sub-irrigated planter, so it means any setup that feeds water from the bottom up, in my opinion. @Hash Hound please will you remind me what the S is for in swick, and try to explain what makes the swick the swick compared with other SIPs?
I believe the s in swick stands for substrate (perlite, stones) in the reservoir for the wick

Back
Top Bottom