Seed plants seem to be much more robust in their growth habit

I’d be willing to bet my entire reputation that this is directly related to seed borne microbes. Above ground plant matter doesn’t contain the same microbes as those in the medium. When we take a branch from above ground we lose all of those microbes working in the soil.

You still get the microbes that work in the plant, above ground, and in the light but you lose the entire ecosystem in the medium. You could probably offset this by going into the same soil and adding an extra couple weeks, but that sort of defeats the purpose of going with a clone to begin with.

lol my Dad was a farmer from Saskatchewan. He was as anti drug as they come. When I was 14 he found my pot plants. After reaming my ass he cracked a big smile and said, "Well at least they look like healthy plants" and that was that, he never gave me shit for growing weed again.

A couple years later I was out partying for May long weekend and we got a late frost. When I got home from a 3 day bender expecting them to be dead or dying I found them out in the back of the property with 5 gallon pails and straw over them.

Dad never said a word but I think they actually fascinated him.

A few times over the years as a teenager I would find his smoke butts in the area.

Then California Redhair and Skunk arrived, they became huge and stinky, and he said "No more, the neighbors are talking", and thats when I became a guerilla gardener out in the local forests.

Oh The Good Ol' Days...
That's a great day story. :Namaste:
Little G. running around the farm. :thumb:
I was looking for my old man's pistol and found a bag of Mexican red hair, a little rolling machine and a pack of Players papers.
Went through a pile of papers but rolled 6 joints.
I'd had a puff or 2 prior but never really got stoned until then.:lot-o-toke:
What I'd give for that feeling again.
Quit when I left high-school.
But May 24 weekend was always a bender.
The crazy parties.
Anyone in Ontario ever go to 4-Seasons or Tweed camping May 24?
Craziness.
Didn't start growing until I realized what Stacey was spending a month on pot.
5 seeds and a bag of bx got me hooked.
Before I knew it I had 5 rooms going.
Now I'm a wreck if I don't have a garden.
Keeps me sane. 🤣Well kinda.😅

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I’d be willing to bet my entire reputation that this is directly related to seed borne microbes. Above ground plant matter doesn’t contain the same microbes as those in the medium. When we take a branch from above ground we lose all of those microbes working in the soil.

You still get the microbes that work in the plant, above ground, and in the light but you lose the entire ecosystem in the medium. You could probably offset this by going into the same soil and adding an extra couple weeks, but that sort of defeats the purpose of going with a clone to begin with.
I agree, which again is why I like used soil and seeds so much. Innoculation.

Clones also never grow a tap root either. That tap root isn't actually looking for water like we all believe, it's looking for calcium, which in nature is in the water.

It also holds the plant upright far more robustly, so clones never cycle calcium as well and they waste a ton of energy on standing up.

Add a little extra calcium in your global mix, and use a stake for the clones entire life, and your buds will be bigger.

I don't use clones that often, but people I know that do prefer shallower wider pots to let the feeder roots spread farther to alleviate the problem. They swear clones work better in wider pots.

I know seeds work far better in pots that are taller than wide, so there may be some truth to it.

Outdoors I have lost a lot of clones to wind, but never a seeded plant.

They really excel in hydroponics. Thats how they start their lives.

That tap root isn't actually looking for water like we all believe, it's looking for calcium, which in nature is in the water.

This is actually a nature sign for those reading. Dandelions. Dandelions have aggressive and deep running tap roots. If you have a bunch of dandelions in your yard, throw down some gypsum, or lime. Those dandelions are natures signal that the ground is compacted and/or calcium is no longer available in the top layers. Dandelions long tap roots reach deep into the earth to grab calcium and bring it back to the surface. When the dandelion dies away that calcium is available again at the surface.

If you allow dandelions to go long enough, eventually they will clear their own way out and you will be left with a calcium rich soil. This typically takes many years so it’s easier just to speed the process.

I only defoliate branches, I leave the leaves. They are your batteries to protect you if a deficiency arises. They buy you time to implement a fix. Larfy branches drain the pot, so it's a two-fer.

I didn't defoliate much on these TMSC's. I want to watch how they grow and how well this Gaia Green mix can do.

Next seed grow will be much more manicured.

EWC and mineral dusts are good topdressings. Kelp is always a good addition. The trick to organics is to do things 2 weeks in advance. You have to be pre-emptive.

Do you use spikes? They really make a difference.
I’ve used spikes before - would they work in a SIP?

Used soil from the same strain is a big part of my soil mix when I pot up a clone so I'd imagine I'd get them in there that way.

That's a great day story. :Namaste:
Little G. running around the farm. :thumb:
I was looking for my old man's pistol and found a bag of Mexican red hair, a little rolling machine and a pack of Players papers.
Went through a pile of papers but rolled 6 joints.
I'd had a puff or 2 prior but never really got stoned until then.:lot-o-toke:
What I'd give for that feeling again.
Quit when I left high-school.
But May 24 weekend was always a bender.
The crazy parties.
Anyone in Ontario ever go to 4-Seasons or Tweed camping May 24?
Craziness.
Didn't start growing until I realized what Stacey was spending a month on pot.
5 seeds and a bag of bx got me hooked.
Before I knew it I had 5 rooms going.
Now I'm a wreck if I don't have a garden.
Keeps me sane. 🤣Well kinda.😅

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Mexican Red hair and a pistol. Once again.... Oh the good ol' days. 🤣🤣🤣

@Gee64 and anyone else running indoor drip irrigation. The kits Im looking at all show hook ups for a faucet/spigot. What is your setup for running from a reservoir?

Mexican Red hair and a pistol. Once again.... Oh the good ol' days. 🤣🤣🤣
I’ve got stories you wouldn’t believe in a movie let alone real life. :rolleyes: 🤣😂
I’ll chat when ever you have time. ;)

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

@Gee64 and anyone else running indoor drip irrigation. The kits Im looking at all show hook ups for a faucet/spigot. What is your setup for running from a reservoir?
I use a pond pump in a 100 litre tote of RO water that sits between my tents. I use a wireless smartplug timer to cycle it.

We use big 200L and 100L plastic reservoirs, the pre drilled holes 1' or bigger get reduced to 1/2" water pipe. I think? 22mm. Its standard here and US

IMG_0388.jpeg

The pump is pressure activated so when you open the valve it pumps (we added a blue illuminated button because such childish things amuse me!)

But the real important bits happen here:

IMG_0390.jpeg

The manifolds - these were given as prizes here at 420 for a while. Jon has some unused. 12 outputs.

From there we’re Netafim all the way.

The grey pipe is Netafim, designed nit to clog then we have Netafim Netbow collars in 12.5cm and 25cm sizes and standalone tiny emitter's that deliver 2/L per hour (we put two per solo cup to indulge my crazy solo cup growing)

The Netafim is Israeli AgriTech. Its all designed for minimal cleaning and repeatable flow rates. Compared to big box store stuff its so much better and actually cheaper when bought online. The biggest “any crop” indoor farms use it. Really can’t recommend it enough.

Hope that helps!

@Gee64 looks like a fun spot! Enjoy!

Nick

So...Trumps in court for banging a hooker. Who is the 1st witness called. Mr Pecker!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
You just can't make this sh*t up! :rofl:

So...Trumps in court for banging a hooker. Who is the 1st witness called. Mr Pecker!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Will the prosecution please get out their Pecker. 😂 :rofl:
You honestly couldn’t make this up. :rolleyes:
No body would believe it.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Back
Top Bottom