The Quadsquad Thread: A Community For Quadlining

Hey quadsquad can you help me quadline this hybrid in DWC? I don't want to eff it up. obviously pinch off the top, but what else do I cut?

Thanks, Grow on Blaze on :blunt:
edit: you guys can use my fingers as reference points in the last pic. :rofl:
should I cut both of those nodes?

Just to avoid any confusion...

ahh now I see what you're saying I can definitely clone that. I'm going to put the clone on a heat mat with the dome fully closed. no light for 24 hours. good idea?
Don't do a ton of cloning myself so maybe someone else can chime in on the logistics of all that, but I always recommend cloning the top if it's large enough as that will produce a stellar clone. I've done it before with great results but some people have some great systems for cloning and since I don't do it that often I'll stick to just teaching people quadlining!

ahh now I see what you're saying I can definitely clone that. I'm going to put the clone in root powder and in seed starter on a heat mat with the dome fully closed. no light for 24 hours. good idea?

Cut off the plant and then cut the bottom of the stem on a 45 degree angle with a sharp and sterilized blade. Dip into rooting hormone then into rapid rooter or peat luck or solo cup with medium preloaded (moist but not soaked) with very light nutrients. Put in humidity dome under very gentle light such as cfl or fluorescent on 18/6 and spray leaves with plain water. Keep humidity up until roots poke out!

There is a link in my signature by shotta with video tutorials on very simple and effective Cloning. Just worked for me, good luck!

I haven't taken the time to figure out how many weeks into flower I am now but here are the girls!

Bro what is going on in the back left corner? Giants!

Put in humidity dome under very gentle light such as cfl or fluorescent on 18/6 and spray leaves with plain water. Keep humidity up until roots poke out!

@RedZedHead also don’t be afraid to trim the leaf blades, since no photosynthesis needs to happen due to it concentrating on root development.

Bro what is going on in the back left corner? Giants!
I’ve grown this Blue Dream twice now (same seeds) and both times the dang things just grow and grow and grow. It’s insane! It has its own light but it doesn’t show up in the pictures.

I’ve grown this Blue Dream twice now (same seeds) and both times the dang things just grow and grow and grow. It’s insane! It has its own light but it doesn’t show up in the pictures.

No kidding dude those are some towers I literally thought you were doing some vertical scrog or something!

Hey quadsquad. Quadlining is complete and i cloned the hybrid in my DWC. Thanks for all the help guys. Quadlining is going to be my main training method from now on.
:passitleft: :circle-of-love:

I think I read enough of these to give quadlining a shot. I stripped the lower 2 nodes today I'll give it a few day too top it only on one plant though lol just in case

Attachments

• 20200514_165912.jpg
    20200514_165912.jpg
    971.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200514_205525.jpg
    20200514_205525.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 44
I’ve got a PuTang going with 8 mains.
C821BF4A-A243-4293-8376-74746DA90F16.jpeg
Hey @Mr. Magoo nice , I’m just trying this out , I’ve usually filled a 2x4 with 1 or 2 plants but I want to faster turn around so going to do 8 mains . Do you have any pics of the structure when you started the training out ?
6722F6D3-BBD4-4465-87F6-FEA3DE6D5B23.jpeg

EA14C8E7-FFB0-450A-A8B9-7F4156A9F44C.jpeg

they will be centred up a little better , I’m just pulling all the longer mains down so the shorter ones end up taller for now to try and get the growth to favour them so they can catch up to the rest.

I have done mainlining , manifolding . Scrogs , sea of green . ( mainline and manifold is nice but you loose a lot of time in the training , I feel I will only get Better quality harvest by having more per year vs having bigger harvests .

thanks for that post that is a beautiful plant brother

My training started out much like yours except the pics aren’t very revealing because I didn’t do any leaf removal for quite a while on this one. Really haven’t done much period besides the very bottom. Will do a nice clean up after stretch to open her up a bit for bud development. The only thing I see in your pics that I would change is the angle of the branch. Most look good but I see the one toward he top that is arching....I would secure that one closer to the main stalk to eliminate that arch. When I’ve had plants trained in a downward or arching angle, the growth at the end of the branch slowed and the side branches closest to the stalk shot up far above everything else making my canopy very uneven. Gravity plays a role in how the growth hormones in the plant work and when we have an interior part of the plant higher than the end of the branch then the plant starts pushing growth to that highest point like it is the actual end of the branch. That’s the same reason that an untopped untrained plant grows like a Christmas tree. There is naturally an apical dominance. It will grow the one big main branch with smaller side branches if left untouched. The side branches actually contain a hormone that limits growth. When we top a plant we remove the apical dominance. As a result the limiting factors/chemicals present in the side branches becomes reduced and auxin production increases in those branches. These auxins are the driving force in plant growth and what was abundant in the top of the plant before we snip it off. I don’t know if it’s a survival reaction or what but it very cool and interesting stuff that takes place. I always try to keep that in mind when I’m training. We are basically sending the growth hormones to the places we want them to go. I used all the same techniques for the quadline with this plant with 8 mains. I believe my lowest 2 nodes are 3 and 4 and I trained them in the quad shape. Then 5 and 6 are twisted in a way that splits the difference just like yours does.

kinda got off track there a bit. Lol.

My training started out much like yours except the pics aren’t very revealing because I didn’t do any leaf removal for quite a while on this one. Really haven’t done much period besides the very bottom. Will do a nice clean up after stretch to open her up a bit for bud development. The only thing I see in your pics that I would change is the angle of the branch. Most look good but I see the one toward he top that is arching....I would secure that one closer to the main stalk to eliminate that arch. When I’ve had plants trained in a downward or arching angle, the growth at the end of the branch slowed and the side branches closest to the stalk shot up far above everything else making my canopy very uneven. Gravity plays a role in how the growth hormones in the plant work and when we have an interior part of the plant higher than the end of the branch then the plant starts pushing growth to that highest point like it is the actual end of the branch. That’s the same reason that an untopped untrained plant grows like a Christmas tree. There is naturally an apical dominance. It will grow the one big main branch with smaller side branches if left untouched. The side branches actually contain a hormone that limits growth. When we top a plant we remove the apical dominance. As a result the limiting factors/chemicals present in the side branches becomes reduced and auxin production increases in those branches. These auxins are the driving force in plant growth and what was abundant in the top of the plant before we snip it off. I don’t know if it’s a survival reaction or what but it very cool and interesting stuff that takes place. I always try to keep that in mind when I’m training. We are basically sending the growth hormones to the places we want them to go. I used all the same techniques for the quadline with this plant with 8 mains. I believe my lowest 2 nodes are 3 and 4 and I trained them in the quad shape. Then 5 and 6 are twisted in a way that splits the difference just like yours does.

Thank you very much , so what I was after was leaving the shortest beach to be the talles so I pulled all the others below the height of the short one to try and get that one to shoot up , it is still higher then the top 2 nodes , I was trying to slow the growth of everything but that one branch < I use this method when scrogging to try and get some branches to grow more then others to try and favour growth to a particular part of the plant by letting it be the tallest part of the plant . Usually I end up releasing everything after a couple days once the branch I didn’t pull down grows as long as the rest .

but with all this being said, will the 2 top nodes still have all the hormones even if they aren’t the tallest point anymore? When I go into the tent I will take some picks hopefully the node I didn’t tie down did what I thought but I may not be understanding it fully .

I will make some adjustments and send another pic if that’s okay , I really appreciate the input and advise, I would like the plant to look like yours by the time stretch is done. I do a lot of defoliation up until the weekbefore the flip then I just leave it till after the stretch and clean house .
I am super excited to see your plant till the end of flower

Seems like I always inevitably have the best growth at the highest point of the plant. My lower branches usually don’t produce as many side branches that make it to the canopy. I think on this one the only thing remaining on the lowest pair of branches is the main branch itself. Pretty sure I removed all other side branches up to the point where the plant goes vertical. They were just too short and underdeveloped to produce anything. Hopefully that energy will now go to somewhere more useful. That being said....I did leave more than I normally would on this plant just because I want to see what she looks like after stretch. I haven’t grown one like this before. I feel like she is gonna yield really well. Fingers crossed anyway. I just hope it’s not a bunch of larf down lower. I’ll probably cut her up pretty good after stretch and be wishing I had done it before. Lol

Seems like I always inevitably have the best growth at the highest point of the plant. My lower branches usually don’t produce as many side branches that make it to the canopy. I think on this one the only thing remaining on the lowest pair of branches is the main branch itself. Pretty sure I removed all other side branches up to the point where the plant goes vertical. They were just too short and underdeveloped to produce anything. Hopefully that energy will now go to somewhere more useful. That being said....I did leave more than I normally would on this plant just because I want to see what she looks like after stretch. I haven’t grown one like this before. I feel like she is gonna yield really well. Fingers crossed anyway. I just hope it’s not a bunch of larf down lower. I’ll probably cut her up pretty good after stretch and be wishing I had done it before. Lol

Hey so 100% took your advice and got all of the arches out of the stems , it took me a few times to read it over and over to catch the drift , so I put supports where the arches were to take them out , thank you so much for your help brother
I usually do the same thing with the lower branches remove all nodes from the main cola down . I did try leaving the lower stuff before and it was just a waste of the plants energy 100% agree with you on that one . When I first started growing I would top the plant and only keep the top 2 nodes and go from there ,

my last 2 plants were done like this but 2 filled a 2x4 with a scrog
image.jpg
image.jpg

I would like to get away from the scrog it makes maintenance very hard in a short tent . So doing these 8 cola plants can get a nice yeild and be able to love stuff around . The scrog is such a hastle in times but great for optimizing the lights .

so doing these 8 cola plants what kinda yields are you averaging ? but this is a great way Not a crazy long veg , and still have a nice sized plant . Thank again for your help man it’s greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom