TheEngineer - Grow Journal #1

hey dude, I settled on the Platinum P450. it is en-route as we type, and should be here by the end of the week, hopefully.

I'm out of town on business right now, but will get an update with the new lights in place towards the weekend

thanks for dropping by :Namaste:

Very cool...

the P450 arrived today and is in place spreading its lovely purple goodness all over the tent

DSC015205.JPG

I need to play with the white balance, but this will do for now; Amnesia Haze - 6 weeks from seed

DSC0151812.JPG

and Sour Diesel, 6 weeks from seed, 3 weeks form flip;

DSC015265.JPG

the cost shots are rubbish, my camera doesn't like the lights, it's an RX-100 mk2, so not cheap, I will get some shots done tomorrow under white light when I feed them :Namaste:

so, I'm sure we've all wondered if the LED manufacturers claims of HPS replacements were true, and I'm no exception. So, upon taking delivery of a Platinum LED P450 last Tuesday, I thought I'd see how it compared to the 600w HPS it was replacing.

I have two Jack Herers, both from the same packet, germs and seeded on the same day, in the same size pots using soil from the same bag, veg'd for 3 weeks under the same cfl and UFO, and spent 7 days under the HPS - they can't get closer to being twins. however, once the P450 arrived, I split them. One stayed under the HPS, the other went under the P450 with everything else. neither plant has had any training, they're just small pot - .76 gallon grows to fill spaces on the tent floor.

the results have quite frankly surprised me - I'm an HPS slag, I love them, but I'll just post the pics and let you draw your own conclusions...

this is them side by side, the HPS is on the left, and is clearly taller than the LED plant on the right

DSC016378.JPG

the HPS bud

DSC016468.JPG

the LED bud

DSC0164310.JPG

the HPS cola

DSC016344.JPG

the LED cola

DSC0163012.JPG

HPS top down - a taller, narrower plant

DSC016357.JPG

LED top down, a wider, shorter plant

DSC0163110.JPG

hard to tell as they re so close, but the P450 plant is much bushier, wider and has a couple more flower points, but the amount of coverage on the stems is like night and day between them - I am gobsmaked tbh

WOW.

We really, really thank you for doing this! This is about the closest dead even side by side HPS to one of our lights that we've ever seen and is awesome information not just for us as a manufacturer, but the entire community..

:goodjob:

We've had plenty of anecdotal feedback given to us over the years specifically for the P450 saying that it's a direct 600w replacement, but never a pictorial side by side so that could compare the details such as overall stretch, internodal spacing, etc. Very, very curious how this turns out!

It does stand to reason though that when you're giving a plant not only 100% usable light, but light that's so extremely fine tuned to it's photosynthetic needs that it would react differently in more ways than one. Not saying this specifically in just our case, but the proof for LED technology for use in indoor horticulture in general. I mean really. A few years ago, LEDs were just not there yet. Now though.. we're finally exceeding the curve.. and continuing an upward climb. We personally can't wait to see what the future may bring for all of us as things continue to grow and evolve..

:Namaste:

Looking good :) Just wait until the end, i think you will be satisfied with the p450. In my expirience, the plant has to adapt to the different light first. I would be happy if you could continue with taking those pictures until the end :)

:Namaste:

that difference is just 7 days under the P450, but it's enough empirical evidence for me that the technology has arrived, and then some.

not to mention the temp drop of over 10 degrees C, and dropping from 770 combined watts to just 274 watts - it's a no brainer now :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom