Trichtones First Grow | XJ-13 and PK | 600W LED

Re: Trichtones First Grow | XJ-13 and PK | 600W GLH LED

Without the lights running, the cab temp stays around 85 -90F (depending on the time of day). With the lights it runs around 97 - 101F. It is a pretty small cab, and I have 600W's of Light, so the lights do heat it up quite a bit.

I dunno man, either some more venting,bigger inline fan, or big fan on the lights. That's what comes to mind, see what some other people think though. And I say scrog mounted in the cab, would look pretty sweet!

SG

Below are pictures of Day 8 of Veg.

The room temps are running up to 101F and the res temps are as high as 93.5F. My question to all of you, for 8 days of veg do the roots and plant growth seem to be on track or are they behind? I have been told and read that high res temps will stunt growth. I just have no basis to know if my ladies are are experience stunted growth. As always, thanks for the advice! :grinjoint:

Purple Kush #1 Roots

PK-1-D8-Root.jpg

Purple Kush #1 Plant

PK-1-D8.jpg

looking good....they look fine to me....the temps are high, but so are mine, run lots of fans, intakes and ext....and a dehumidifier.....mine are ok, but in soil....hope it all works out...heat is awful....welcome to the zoo, lots of great peeps here....lavendar:cheer:

I dunno man, either some more venting,bigger inline fan, or big fan on the lights. That's what comes to mind, see what some other people think though. And I say scrog mounted in the cab, would look pretty sweet!

SG

Thanks SG! I am drawing up some plans for a scrog. Still not sure if I will go LST or scrog, but I would like to be prepared for either way I go.:ganjamon:

looking good....they look fine to me....the temps are high, but so are mine, run lots of fans, intakes and ext....and a dehumidifier.....mine are ok, but in soil....hope it all works out...heat is awful....welcome to the zoo, lots of great peeps here....lavendar:cheer:

Thanks Lavendar! That is a relief. I have a feeling my grows in Fall, Winter, and Spring will be easier. But what do I know! I sure there is a host of other things to consider in colder weather. It is all a learning process (which for me is the best part) :grinjoint:

I think that big LEDs, just like other big lights, could benefit from having a remote option for their power supplies.

Trich, 93 degree Rez temps R high in a bubbler... If you can, put a 12 oz frozen water bottle in each one of those buckets and then change the bottles out about every 4 days or so... Then your cab temps can stay high.. But if don't get your Rez temps under control you will more then likely get root rot..

Of course you could change your Rez water out about every 4 days or so also to prevent root rot... :) Yeah I would go with the frozen water bottles myself..:grinjoint:

Trich, 93 degree Rez temps R high in a bubbler... If you can, put a 12 oz frozen water bottle in each one of those buckets and then change the bottles out about every 4 days or so... Then your cab temps can stay high.. But if don't get your Rez temps under control you will more then likely get root rot..

Of course you could change your Rez water out about every 4 days or so also to prevent root rot... :) Yeah I would go with the frozen water bottles myself..:grinjoint:

At 93 degrees those wouldn't last long i think, be like a jacuzzi and throwing ice cubes in it = / great idea I have heard man ppl doing that but dunno it might be too hot...

SG

Hehe....We are thinking the same thing. I put a frozen 1 gallon jug of water in the rez last night. For quite a few hours it dropped the water temp to around the low 80's. I checked it this morning and the rez temp went back up to 91 F. For the time being, I am going to add a frozen 1 gallon jug everyday to the rez. If nothing else but to slow down root rot. Long term it will be too cumbersome to do this method.

I have a feeling that I will need to change the water in the system every couple weeks to keep the root rot at bay. I have been using 5.5mL per gallon of 3% H2O2 every day and I have seen very little slime in the water. Although, I have read that overtime the H2O2 will not be able to keep up.

Depending on how this grow comes out, I may opt to use soil in the summer heat and use DWC for the rest of the season.

:peace:

At 93 degrees those wouldn't last long i think, be like a jacuzzi and throwing ice cubes in it = / great idea I have heard man ppl doing that but dunno it might be too hot...

SG

Within one day the res temps were almost back up there, but I think it did provide some relief. Hopefully with the H2O2, res changes, and frozen water jugs I can keep these ladies healthy. So far they look good. :grinjoint:

Interesting. How do you envision the remote capability to work? :grinjoint:

I envision the manufacturer placing the power supplies in a separate metal box (shielded against RFI, incidentally) and connecting it to the box that contains the LED with a nice long (also shielded) pigtail, in the same fashion that an HID ballast is setup.

Preferably, like the HID setups, this pigtail would not be hardwired. That way a person could run the wire through a small hole without having to cut and splice.

I envision the manufacturer placing the power supplies in a separate metal box (shielded against RFI, incidentally) and connecting it to the box that contains the LED with a nice long (also shielded) pigtail, in the same fashion that an HID ballast is setup.

Preferably, like the HID setups, this pigtail would not be hardwired. That way a person could run the wire through a small hole without having to cut and splice.

Oh yeah! That is a great suggestion. It would be great to remove some of the heat from the grow space!

What are the ideal temps for a res and to prevent root rot? I would go with Lst and scrog. If you cant swing them both then i would LST first since it does not require extra equipment.

What are the ideal temps for a res and to prevent root rot? I would go with Lst and scrog. If you cant swing them both then i would LST first since it does not require extra equipment.

I have read that 68-72F is the ideal range. I could be wrong, but that is what I read.

Yeah, I am still on the fence. I like what others (like Irishboy) have done with LST. My only concern is once i tie them down, how hard will it be to untie and retie if I need to get access to the plant buckets. I might just try it and see what it takes.

I have read that 68-72F is the ideal range. I could be wrong, but that is what I read.

Yeah, I am still on the fence. I like what others (like Irishboy) have done with LST. My only concern is once i tie them down, how hard will it be to untie and retie if I need to get access to the plant buckets. I might just try it and see what it takes.

Trich, you could lst to get them more scrogable. That's what I'm doing. Lst can't hurt, no matter which way you go IMO. But, I am doing a hempy, so there's no root checking.

Good luck :peace:

trichtone, you really need to lower those res temps !! You don't want to get root rot or many other ailments that those temps will bring !! Shoot for high 60s !! Is there anyway you could have a res outside of the cabinet,maybe in an insulated cooler and just run the water lines up through the floor in the cab ? That way you could have a larger amount of water and maybe keep things much cooler! Good job on that cab very clean set up , my garage gets way too hot in summer so I've got a tent in an extra bedroom if I have to I could just get a small room ac unit and have a nice cool room to sleep in as well !! :peace:

Below are pictures of Day 8 of Veg.

The room temps are running up to 101F and the res temps are as high as 93.5F. My question to all of you, for 8 days of veg do the roots and plant growth seem to be on track or are they behind? I have been told and read that high res temps will stunt growth. I just have no basis to know if my ladies are are experience stunted growth. As always, thanks for the advice! :grinjoint:

Well, if the temps were that high, I think you've just demonstrated the resiliency of your Deep Water Culture method as they look pretty darn great to me for 8 days! :cheer: I would still recommend trying to get the temps down somehow later in the grow, but all is well so far.

EDIT: Is there a way to duct in some outside air to your grow? You would need to get another fan but you really need that anyways for the HEPA filter you have. Is the air outside cool? It really helps my grow when it gets fed a steady diet of outside air.

What if you tie them down - to their own buckets (or lids of same)?

Well, if the temps were that high, I think you've just demonstrated the resiliency of your Deep Water Culture

I've always thought that it was the lack of DO available to the roots, rather than the temperatures themselves, that was the big issue. Of course, as the temperature of the reservoir rises, the amount of O2 that it can hold in the dissolved state decreases. But that can be fought (and in most cases, overcome) by installing good powerheads (or at least a mad amount of airstone/airpump equipment) so that the reservoir is in a constant state of O2 supersaturation.

That doesn't mean that the plants will actively grow in heat that makes us wilt, lol - but they should be able to live.

Trich, you could lst to get them more scrogable. That's what I'm doing. Lst can't hurt, no matter which way you go IMO. But, I am doing a hempy, so there's no root checking.

Good luck :peace:

Yeah...I really want to LST the ladies. I think TorturedSoul is on to something. I need to figure out a way to LST the ladies to the lids. That way I can remove the lids without having to untie them.

What if you tie them down - to their own buckets (or lids of same)?

Great suggestion! I might rig up something that includes string and aluminum tape to the lids. Or i might screw in really small eye hooks. I will have to play around with that. :grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom