Trichtones First Grow | XJ-13 and PK | 600W LED

Re: Trichtones First Grow | XJ-13 and PK | 600W GLH LED

Thanks man! I think LST is one of those things I am going to learn as I go. I still need to do more reading on LST techniques. Doing the first tie down seems pretty straight forward. Find a spot and tie her down. After that it gets a little fuzzy. How long to wait before doing the next tie down? Is there a point where you are doing too much or too little tieing down? Stuff like that. :grinjoint:

bro all you need to do is tie it down one time in the main stem where you wont hurt a node, then the stem will curve up and make a hook from growing towards the light then you just move the string up to their, and every few days just pull is down little by little. i just tie one time and it works great for me.

Make sure you add and string holding the bottom stalk the opposite direction from the way your bending her, or the roots might get pulled up. look at my pics to see what i am talking about.

if you want to tie down more branches just do the main stem 1st then when the others shoot up then bend them down also. this way is good if you have hight restrictions.

bro all you need to do is tie it down one time in the main stem where you wont hurt a node, then the stem will curve up and make a hook from growing towards the light then you just move the string up to their, and every few days just pull is down little by little. i just tie one time and it works great for me.

Make sure you add and string holding the bottom stalk the opposite direction from the way your bending her, or the roots might get pulled up. look at my pics to see what i am talking about.

if you want to tie down more branches just do the main stem 1st then when the others shoot up then bend them down also. this way is good if you have hight restrictions.

☝☝☝☝☝☝
That's all there is to it.... nothing to worry about really and she'll spring back quickly. Easy to get the hang of and kinda' hard to mess up if you plan your bends.
I have a buddy that has LST'd an outdoor plant to run along the fence line halfway up.... grows up about a foot and now shoots horizontal down the fence about 4 feet. Kinda' cool actually to see it grow that way hugging the fence.

Ah ha! I think I get in now. I just reread your LST and lollipop posts. I think I will start trimming the lower branches tonight. My XJ-13's seem to do really well with LST (multiple main branches are starting to grow up and out). The Purple Kushes just seem to want to grow very dense and bushy.

Thanks man. This was a big help. + rep ya when i can! :thanks:

☝☝☝☝☝☝
That's all there is to it.... nothing to worry about really and she'll spring back quickly. Easy to get the hang of and kinda' hard to mess up if you plan your bends.
I have a buddy that has LST'd an outdoor plant to run along the fence line halfway up.... grows up about a foot and now shoots horizontal down the fence about 4 feet. Kinda' cool actually to see it grow that way hugging the fence.

Hehe...that would be a sight to see. It is amazing how resilient plants are. I have seen some killer espalier with fruit tress. Where they make the fruit trees the actual fence. :grinjoint:

Alright all. I am taking off for three days and leaving the ladies on their own. Their drinking pretty good, but I think the reservoir should suffice. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Happy 4th all! :grinjoint::ganjamon::Rasta::peace:

Good luck! I had to leave mine last weekend and I worried A LOT!

Alright all. I am taking off for three days and leaving the ladies on their own. Their drinking pretty good, but I think the reservoir should suffice. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Happy 4th all! :grinjoint::ganjamon::Rasta::peace:

Happy 4th to you too!

Thanks! I do want to add a chiller to keep the rez temps down. It would be so much easier than me adding the frozen jug and ice water when i feed the ladies. I am not sure that I can a chiller mid stream as I will have to make some significant cab changes to get it to work and still be stealthy. :peace:

I read on someone's journal that they pulled a gallon out of their reservoir, stuck it in the fridge, and replaced it with a gallon that they'd previously pulled out and refrigerated - and kept the cycle going so that there was always a gallon of nutrient solution ready to be poured in whenever temperatures in the reservoir got high.

I have figured out a way to add hooks to the lid so that I can remove the lid with out having to untie the LST. I took a strip of the aluminum tape that I used to cover the buckets and used 8 cup hooks per bucket.

Tape-and-hooks.jpg

You're depending on the tape's contact with the rather small surface-area of those cup-hooks to hold your plants down? I'd be... concerned. I would have screwed them into the sides of the lid (and at a downward angle, so that any force exerted by the plants would pull "against the hole" instead of being able to pull "out the top of the hole"), if it were me. But then again, gradual changes would not seem to encourage the plants to exert as much force as extreme changes.

Are you LSTing chiefly to keep vertical growth in check, or are you also hoping for more bushy plants?

One question for you all. Now that I pulled the plants over, the leaves on the lower side are getting smushed to the top of the bucket. Should I trim those leaves? If yes, when should I trim them up?

When they turn yellow from lack of light. Until then, they are still adding energy to the plant.

Thanks man! I think LST is one of those things I am going to learn as I go. I still need to do more reading on LST techniques. Doing the first tie down seems pretty straight forward. Find a spot and tie her down. After that it gets a little fuzzy. How long to wait before doing the next tie down? Is there a point where you are doing too much or too little tieing down? Stuff like that. :grinjoint:

Pulling the plant down from its middle-region is a good way to keep a plant that is likely to grow tall from hitting the light, or to even out the heights of multiple plants.

Pulling the plant down from its top - so that the top, instead of being the highest part of the plant, is then the lowest - is a great way to produce a bushy plant as it will redistribute the auxins that were formerly at the top to the lower branches (which will then attempt to grow until they are at the top). It's a "light-seeking" reaction.

I am back from vacation and the ladies did just fine while I was gone. I was sweating it will I was away, but all went well. The ladies are putting on some good growth and are getting pretty thirsty (1.5 gallons a day between 4 plants). I think the LST'ing is really starting to work. I am getting a number of the branches to start growing up and out (especially on XJ-13 #2).

Ok...here are the pics for Day 15 veg.

Purple Kush #1 Day 15 veg.
pk-1-d15.jpg

Purple Kush #2 Day 15 veg
pk-2-d15.jpg

XJ-13 #1 Day 15 veg - runt of the group. Since replacing the defective air stone, she has really put on some growth.
xj-1-d15.jpg

XJ-13 #2 Day 15 veg
xj-2-d15.jpg

All Plants Day 15 veg
all-d15.jpg

:peace:

I read on someone's journal that they pulled a gallon out of their reservoir, stuck it in the fridge, and replaced it with a gallon that they'd previously pulled out and refrigerated - and kept the cycle going so that there was always a gallon of nutrient solution ready to be poured in whenever temperatures in the reservoir got high.

Nice idea. I think I might have to try that. :ganjamon:

You're depending on the tape's contact with the rather small surface-area of those cup-hooks to hold your plants down? I'd be... concerned. I would have screwed them into the sides of the lid (and at a downward angle, so that any force exerted by the plants would pull "against the hole" instead of being able to pull "out the top of the hole"), if it were me. But then again, gradual changes would not seem to encourage the plants to exert as much force as extreme changes.

So far it is holding well. I think you are right on about making it more permenant. i will have to wait until this grow is in the books.

Are you LSTing chiefly to keep vertical growth in check, or are you also hoping for more bushy plants?

I am chiefly interested in making bushy plants (grow multiple cola's).

When they turn yellow from lack of light. Until then, they are still adding energy to the plant.

Kewl. I will wait to start my pruning. I did some pruning already, but I will hold off until I do more.

Pulling the plant down from its middle-region is a good way to keep a plant that is likely to grow tall from hitting the light, or to even out the heights of multiple plants.

Hehe...that was my first tie down. I was kind of afraid of pulling to hard on the tops of plant. I see now that they are really resilient. I just chickened out on my first tie. I redid the tie. You can see the difference on my Purple Kush #1 Day 15 veg pics.

Pulling the plant down from its top - so that the top, instead of being the highest part of the plant, is then the lowest - is a great way to produce a bushy plant as it will redistribute the auxins that were formerly at the top to the lower branches (which will then attempt to grow until they are at the top). It's a "light-seeking" reaction.

What is funny, I have read a lot of posts and guides on LST, and I never really understood what the plant was going to do and how to maintain the LST. After rereading Irish's forum, the advice I got here, and actually watching the plants react to LST, I finally think I understand how I am supposed to go about gradually making changes to my tie downs. I can see it is feel thing to keep the canopies of all the plants level. Pretty kewl! :thanks:

I did run into a slight snag. One of my DWC plant buckets sprung a small leak. Not sure why it just came about, but I tightened the inner fitting and I think that has stopped the leak. Even though I have plastic down a little bit of water did make it to the bottom of the cabinet. Keeping my fingers crossed that it didn't do any permenant damage to the cab.

What is funny, I have read a lot of posts and guides on LST, and I never really understood what the plant was going to do and how to maintain the LST. After rereading Irish's forum, the advice I got here, and actually watching the plants react to LST, I finally think I understand how I am supposed to go about gradually making changes to my tie downs. I can see it is feel thing to keep the canopies of all the plants level. Pretty kewl! :thanks:

What I've found is that manipulating the main cola or top has the biggest influence even after the plant bushes out.

I can get really nice growth in the secondary tops by keeping the main top just a little below them.

If the main top is even with or even slightly higher than the secondary tops, the plant will send a lot of energy there.

I did run into a slight snag. One of my DWC plant buckets sprung a small leak. Not sure why it just came about, but I tightened the inner fitting and I think that has stopped the leak. Even though I have plastic down a little bit of water did make it to the bottom of the cabinet. Keeping my fingers crossed that it didn't do any permenant damage to the cab.

A pond liner (or at least 6-mil plastic) helps.

What I've found is that manipulating the main cola or top has the biggest influence even after the plant bushes out.

I can get really nice growth in the secondary tops by keeping the main top just a little below them.

If the main top is even with or even slightly higher than the secondary tops, the plant will send a lot of energy there.

Thanks for the tip on that! I have been keeping the main cola lower than the rest so far and I am seeing really good secondary growth. The XJ-13 #2 has about 6 main branches now. Hopefully that will turn into good bud sites! :Rasta:

Question for you all! Is it pretty common to have the original fan leaves from the clone die off? On my XJ-13's it seems that the original clone leaves are dying while the rest of the leaves look to be in good shape. Or is this something I should worry about?

I think you'll be fine but that's just me. .V.

Question for you all! Is it pretty common to have the original fan leaves from the clone die off? On my XJ-13's it seems that the original clone leaves are dying while the rest of the leaves look to be in good shape. Or is this something I should worry about?

i never have that until mid flowering, but i think you will be fine as long as the plant looks good and all the other growth is health, its just only a few of them right?

Back
Top Bottom