UG's Paradise

once you start the journal it goes under current journals, then if their are no comments over a certain amount of time it goes into the abandoned journals, but if you complete the journal it will end up in completed journals, just make a comment every now and then and it will keep the journal in the current journal section

i shouldn't have put this thread in journals in progress so quickly, seems like this will take me 4-6 weeks at least. would it be possible to move this to grow room set-up? and i'll start a journal soon as it's done

Go ahead and just keep it goin UG :thumb:

I have a journal thats a couple of weeks away from one plant even being seen but I wanted people to see the process of building the room!
No worries dude!

no mate, no one will mind, it saves you starting another one, they wont move it to abandoned journals if one of us tells them, but they give you a msg first and make sure its abandoned, so just update the journal when you can then we can follow along when your up and running

Hi UG!

Yeah, keep it going imo too. Slow moving is okay for now, and it'll pick up once you get it running. I like journals that include builds/room set-up (personally). Your diagrams look good to me, as far as filter, lights out of the room... :thumb:

UG, put your fan on the other side of ur hoods and u will be good to go!

Principles of effective ventilation
Many growers own fans powerful enough to move air of a city block in Manhattan, but has failed to install it properly, causing greater pressure reduction. This extra pressure drop is called the system effect or system dissipation, and can cause the fan to produce a smaller volume of air than indicated in the fan diagram.

The following factors must be considered in order to avoid system dissipation:

At the Inlet
* The distance to the nearest wall must be more than 0.75 the inlet's diameter.
* The inlet duct's cross section must not be greater than 112% or less than 92% of the fan inlet.
* The inlet duct's length must be at least 1 x the duct diameter.
* The inlet duct must no have any obstacles to the air flow (dampers, branching or similar).

At the outlet:
* The angle at the reduction of the duct cross-section must be less than 15 degrees
* The angle at the enlargement of the duct cross-section must be less than 7 degrees
* A straight length of at least 3x duct diameter is required after a duct fan.
* Avoid 90 degree bends (use 45 degree)
* Bends must be shaped so that they follow the air stream after the fan.

If the connections are different from this, there could be a greater pressure reduction.

Circular duct fans for example, are propulsive, pushing the air. And should be installed so that the long duct is after the fan itself.

Dark, since the fans are made to PUSH air why would you want it to suck it? What is the benefit from doing it as you suggest?
You are correct when you say that the fan should be sucking the air in through the carbon filter but after that it should be pushing the air through the rest of the system.

This is just my guess here and I could be totally wrong here but the further away you put the fan from the carbon filter the less draw it would have getting the air through the carbon filter. I guess my other thought is if your lights are not air tight then you will be sucking air through that as well and that air will not be passing through the filter and could lead to a small amount of stink getting though. How much depends on how bad the leaks are.

So dark got me to thinking............so off to google I went and searched and read, searched more and read more. Seems there are TWO theories on ventalation. one is as Dark suggests and the other is as I have suggested. There doesn't seem to be one answer thats correct that i have found.
I'm currently building a new grow room as we speak. I know that for me, building it as Dark suggests would pose some problems for me. I'm trying to work it in my head as to how I would accomplish it. Not coming up with anything at the moment though lol
It's late and I need to get back to painting the frickin room again. Wanted to be fair to Dark and do more research. Seems we are both right and it's more personal prefference or what your able to do in the given space.

mad props to you guys for your input, and doin some extra research for me.

i read that back in the day, hoods had to be sucked through because they weren't air tight but ones today can do either way . isn't it more efficient to blow through ducting as well? instead of sucking?

i might take everything down and redesign it again lol i just have mad ocd and wont be happy until I can figure this out

mad props to you guys for your input, and doin some extra research for me.

i read that back in the day, hoods had to be sucked through because they weren't air tight but ones today can do either way . isn't it more efficient to blow through ducting as well? instead of sucking?

i might take everything down and redesign it again lol i just have mad ocd and wont be happy until I can figure this out

Been there done that. Can't tell ya how many times I've changed things always looking for the better way............welcome to growing cannabis lol

Guys

Inline fans are more efficient at pulling air...

Not sure how else to tell you other than check the temps doing both setups.

Your system will run much more efficiently if you are pulling the air across ur bulbs/through your hoods.

dp

I may jusy try this and test both ways and see what kind of numbers I get. Should be interesting!

Ok let me give you a simple example of what I am getting at here.

Imagine a hollow cube... you poke a hole on opposite sides.

Will air move more efficiently through that cube when you

a) suck air through the cube

or

b) blow air through the cube

This should help you understand the dynamics of what I am trying to explain.

:Namaste:

You may get an increase in 5-10% cfms but I will already have to run them on controllers because they're too powerful. Another huge difference is the fans last a lot longer when the blades and motors aren't hitting blazing temps. Being happy with your results is all that matters, everyones way can be different and still solid. These are the plans now...

Overview
skitched-20120913-150220.jpg

Side
skitched-20120913-154233.jpg

edit:i was a little medicated when i drew it lol first pic has intake on the same side as exhaust but it's going to be like the second pic

My lights have their own dedicated fan. It pulls air from outside, through the light hoods, then it goes out the tent, through the fan and exhausts out of the house. No filter on that one, because everything is sealed. I think like your second diagram, except my fan is outside the tent on the other side of the lights (think your farthest red arrows in the last diagram). Separately, I have a second fan that is just for exchanging air in the tent. It pulls through the filter, then fan and out. Did I explain that right? It works good for me.

Is the lower left fan in the last diagram intake? If so, you shouldn't need a filter on that one, as negative pressure keeps the smell from escaping there. Heck, you probably don't even need an intake fan there...

Back
Top Bottom