UK Cheese Auto 2020 #1

Day 7 - So to speak. Who knows when we really start counting with Auto Flowering plants.

Big day today as the young one will be moved into it's forever home.

First: I prepared a 2gal paint bucket with 100% Perlite. If you are starting out and never have done Hempy Bucket you start with a bucket and drill a 1/2in hole about 2inches above the bottom. Since I have a collection of these buckets that have been used before I washed and cleaned the bucket and it's ready to go.

Second: I washed and rinsed the perlite and clay pebbles. I like to use the clay pebbles in the bottom of the bucket in the reservoir area. Both products come initially really dirty and dusty and will clog the program up with the silt they create at the bottom of the bucket if not cleaned.

I put the clay pebbles in first tilting the bucket so they load up over the hole in the side of the bucket. I feel this acts like a filter. Then fill the bucket the rest of the way with Perlite. Here is my bucket prep.
Dig a hole down in the middle to make a space for the Root Riot with seedling.

So far good

Root Riot with seedling that had sprouted lots of roots. Compare this picture with the one I took a few days ago and you see a major root explosion.
[/GALLERY]

I feel this amount of root exposed and growing out of the root riot give the seedling a head start on stretching toward th reservoir in the bottom of the bucket. Once it gets there it doesn't require much feeding at least initially. In my experience this happens within just a few short days.

One of the secrets with watering in the initial stage before the roots hit the bottom is to pour lightly around the root riot and not directly on it. This will cause the Perlite to be wet and lead the roots downward toward the reservoir. Once I note the roots have hit bottom then it's time to really pour around the the rim of the bucket to encourage root growth outward and downward.

The little one is now in it's new home and back under the T-5 light for a few days. During this stage I also put a small clear glass over the seedling to keep moisture in.

Over the next few days the seedling will be watered small amounts to encourage downward grown as it seeks a major food source. About an 1/8 of a cup to start with each time moving up to a 1/4 cup. I have mixed up a 1/4 strength clonex solution at a pH of 6.4 to start with and will increase the ration as it begins to get going.

I got out my pH tester. Cleaned and calibrated and ready to go. Now! where did I put my pH up and down while I was moving. Perhaps I can use something from the kitchen initially until they surface. I guess I'll chat with my mentor @FelipeBlu since he loves to use home grown concoctions.

Clonex calls for 5.5 to 6.5. Since I forgot that I was going to need my pH adjusting liquids I don't have any in the moment. Can I use white vinegar as a light pH down?

In a pinch
Good deal as I really don't want to buy another set pH up and down when I have plenty somewhere in my storage stuff. Will go digging for it next week as it's not as critical in the moment. It will become much more important when I start using my regular nutrients.

I meant to tag @HashGirl regarding the roots now coming out of the root riot.
This is what I'm talking about. Sometime there is a larger tap root coming directly out of the bottom. Not happening in the moment and now will never know.

Clonex calls for 5.5 to 6.5. Since I forgot that I was going to need my pH adjusting liquids I don't have any in the moment. Can I use white vinegar as a light pH down?
I've used organic Apple cider vinegar on all mine with no problems.

I've used organic Apple cider vinegar on all mine with no problems.
Awesome, I very rarely need pH up but so I have a full quart of that stuff hidden somewhere in the moving boxes. I use a bit more pH down especially with my regular nutrient mix. So until I dig down deep enough to uncover the box with more of my cannabis grow materials cider vinegar will have to do.

Back
Top Bottom