Second Grow - Cheese!

Update time :smokin:

I bloomed the 2 mothers and I apologize for not having any pics or earlier updates. The clones are ready to go, but I am tweaking my room a bit, because I ran into some problems that got me thinking about converting to a sealed setup. Early in the mothers bloom, both plants started to show signs of some kind of deficiencies. I thought at first I had it was a ph problem and then possibly a overdose of nutrients. Then it dawned on me that I was Co2 starving the plants because I forgot to put my fresh air inlet when I was finishing the room. This stunted the mothers growth and almost killed them. It got me thinking about converting to a completely sealed grow room and hopefully next week I will be getting it all together. I been researching mini-split a/c systems for the past week and even posted here for input, but didn't get any hits. It seems 420 can be hit or miss on who follows what threads and such :) Anyway, here are some pics of the clones and the mothers with a rough trim job !

CheeseGrow-Clones3.jpg

CheeseGrow-Clones6.jpg

CheeseGrow-Clones4.jpg

CheeseGrow-Clones5.jpg

2 mother plants - rough trim job ( I will be going back later tonight to finish up)

CheeseGrow-Mother1.jpg

CheeseGrow-Mother2.jpg

Peace!

insane420 :cool:

First Grow - Trainwreck - Completed

Hey I am just dropping by...am far too a new grower to give advice on that frig unit or a sealed room environment, but I found someone else with a BB Cheese grow. I just put my "mother" into bloom like 5 days ago.

And your soil mix is something I would put together...I am thinking perfect...at least as far as I know so far......some soil guru is lurking going...and add this and that and this on top of that and then you will be close to good...:ganjamon:

When you sample it, I would love a smoke report...I bought the seeds hoping for POT tasting pot...ol' school kinda stuff. :grinjoint:
Probably end up with a gin and tonic with a twist, instead of a martini like I ordered.....:cool:

:popcorn: Subscribed.

:peace: brother. +rep

Nice!

Looks like you're getting everything dialed in to do even better.

Good job!

Appreciate the good vibes bro!

Hey I am just dropping by...am far too a new grower to give advice on that frig unit or a sealed room environment, but I found someone else with a BB Cheese grow. I just put my "mother" into bloom like 5 days ago.

And your soil mix is something I would put together...I am thinking perfect...at least as far as I know so far......some soil guru is lurking going...and add this and that and this on top of that and then you will be close to good...:ganjamon:

When you sample it, I would love a smoke report...I bought the seeds hoping for POT tasting pot...ol' school kinda stuff. :grinjoint:
Probably end up with a gin and tonic with a twist, instead of a martini like I ordered.....:cool:

:popcorn: Subscribed.

:peace: brother. +rep

That is so awesome you mentioned the taste. I had a few buds dried out from the mothers when checking the trich states and I turned my bro on to it today.....it definately took him back to the good ole days when you were the shit if you had some good skunk bud. This stuff definately smells and tastes like that, but with a serious kick. :smokin:

That is so awesome you mentioned the taste. I had a few buds dried out from the mothers when checking the trich states and I turned my bro on to it today.....it definately took him back to the good ole days when you were the shit if you had some good skunk bud. This stuff definately smells and tastes like that, but with a serious kick. :smokin:

Wow that is great news bro!!!! What about odor control with it during bloom, bad?

:peace: brother.

Wow that is great news bro!!!! What about odor control with it during bloom, bad?

:peace: brother.

I was venting my lights into my attic and the smell was contained that way, but I only had 2 mothers in bloom then. I have a carbon scrubber that will be connected to a can fan to scrub the room once I get it sealed up and dialed in.

I've got holes in the ceiling above my tents so that I can vent into the attic also.

When I first set it up, I wanted to see if I could get away with not having carbon filters, and it worked in veg, but in flower I could smell the plants from outside the house.

A couple of filters solved it.

I originally set up the attic venting just for odor control purposes, but the best thing about it is that I can choose to vent heat into the attic in the summer, or disconnect the ducts and vent the heat directly into the garage to help keep it warm.

Subscribed!

Update - New Grow Room Complete !!

After doing a ton of research about sealed grow rooms, I decided to completely change my setup and go this route. An excellent read on Controlled Environment Agriculture can be found here:

Maximum Yield - Indoor Gardening

My room is probably 95% sealed and I am still working on some areas, but the cheese clones were at their limits in my closet and were starting to show problems. My room is 9x8x8 and is completely insulated all walls. The key to setting up a sealed grow room is to make sure you can control your environment, because in this setup you are no longer bringing in fresh air and venting out the old. A good Co2 system and a quality AC are a must. I was running a portable system, but this would not work in a sealed environment because it would be exhausting a portion of the air in the room. I bought and installed a 12000 btu mini split ac system, which gives me enough cooling power to compensate for the insane heat in this region and Co2 burner I am running. For Co2 I went with a Titan Selene 1 4 burner setup and a HydroGen controller. The hydrogen controller was a good compromise for budget concerns, because it will keep your Co2 ppms between 1300 and 1500 at all times. The catch to these controllers are they have to be on a timer if you want to cut off the Co2 during your night cycle and you can't set your PPM's.

Here are some pics:

NewGrowRoom1.jpg

NewGrowRoom2.jpg

NewGrowRoom3.jpg

NewGrowRoom4.jpg

NewGrowRoom5.jpg

Hopefully this systems gives me the results I am hoping for, which is 3 oz per plant. All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Peace !

Cool set up. How do you like it so far. Is it up to your expectations? ;-) Is there anything you'd change? I've got to start thinking of a design I like for my new grow room. I'm dying to grow! ;-)

Cool set up. How do you like it so far. Is it up to your expectations? ;-) Is there anything you'd change? I've got to start thinking of a design I like for my new grow room. I'm dying to grow! ;-)

Thanks for dropping by and the compliments. I am not sure what I would change so far other than making the room a bit bigger, but as I get it dialed in, I am sure there will be things I wish I would have planned out better. Hopefully, my cheese clones will bounce back and I will get some decent results.

With only 1200 watts in a 72 square, foot room thats... less than 17 watts per square foot, lol. Are you sure that you've got enough light to really benefit from supplemental CO2? I realize that in the ((watts vs. yield) vs (square footage vs. yield)) thing that there is some negotiable middle ground, but that seems like it might be a little bit extreme. I would expect that if you cut the size of your room down significantly (less than half - but exactly one third of your current space would put you at the low end of the traditional minimum) that you would be in a much better position of providing a decent amount of light to all of your plants - the same amount of light would be better utilized and the plants, if they were (are) allowed to fill your current room, would not produce either as much or as good (READ: as dense or as potent).

Plus, you would have less cubic feet so you would require less supplemental CO2 in order to bring your PPMs of it up. And with more light (per square foot, or to look at it in a slightly different "light," more light where it counts - on the plants), they would be much more likely to show an active benefit from that supplementation.

Just my opinion, but I've seen various room:light "equations" and the ones that had much more light per square foot not only produced more (and less leafy) bud per square foot, they also produced more bud overall.

BtW, I have never used a burner for CO2 supplementation and have not seen too many of them in small grows like this. What was your motivation in going with a burner over a tank? Was it cheaper initially? Less hassle in not having to refill a tank once in a while makes it worth the expense of running (or are you in an area that gets free gas due to mineral rights)? Is it that you're thinking that the waste-heat it produces might be turned into useful heat in the winter months and that the expense of removing it now might be outweighed by it helping to heat the room (when your lights are on and the plants are actually using the CO2) when it's cold? Another reason entirely?

I hope that you do not mind the questions. It is not that I don't see any use for a burner setup - far from it, actually. I have seen a few rooms where they seemed to be used with great affect. But they were much higher-powered setups such as a house that was being used solely for a grow with 16,000 watts in approximately 225 square feet (probably couldn't have plugged in a tv without blowing a breaker, lol) - not the highest watts per square foot arrangement that I've seen (that was ~102 watts per) but the highest gross wattage. It was by all accounts an excellent producer though until the guy's wife decided she'd rather be his ex-wife and figured that he'd be easier to divorce if he was in jail. (Sad thing was that she was reportedly the one that convinced him to lease a house just for growing.)

Anyway, I (try to) keep an open mind and am wondering what the benefits of your CO2 setup are.

Thanks!

With only 1200 watts in a 72 square, foot room thats... less than 17 watts per square foot, lol. Are you sure that you've got enough light to really benefit from supplemental CO2? I realize that in the ((watts vs. yield) vs (square footage vs. yield)) thing that there is some negotiable middle ground, but that seems like it might be a little bit extreme. I would expect that if you cut the size of your room down significantly (less than half - but exactly one third of your current space would put you at the low end of the traditional minimum) that you would be in a much better position of providing a decent amount of light to all of your plants - the same amount of light would be better utilized and the plants, if they were (are) allowed to fill your current room, would not produce either as much or as good (READ: as dense or as potent).

Plus, you would have less cubic feet so you would require less supplemental CO2 in order to bring your PPMs of it up. And with more light (per square foot, or to look at it in a slightly different "light," more light where it counts - on the plants), they would be much more likely to show an active benefit from that supplementation.

Just my opinion, but I've seen various room:light "equations" and the ones that had much more light per square foot not only produced more (and less leafy) bud per square foot, they also produced more bud overall.

BtW, I have never used a burner for CO2 supplementation and have not seen too many of them in small grows like this. What was your motivation in going with a burner over a tank? Was it cheaper initially? Less hassle in not having to refill a tank once in a while makes it worth the expense of running (or are you in an area that gets free gas due to mineral rights)? Is it that you're thinking that the waste-heat it produces might be turned into useful heat in the winter months and that the expense of removing it now might be outweighed by it helping to heat the room (when your lights are on and the plants are actually using the CO2) when it's cold? Another reason entirely?

I hope that you do not mind the questions. It is not that I don't see any use for a burner setup - far from it, actually. I have seen a few rooms where they seemed to be used with great affect. But they were much higher-powered setups such as a house that was being used solely for a grow with 16,000 watts in approximately 225 square feet (probably couldn't have plugged in a tv without blowing a breaker, lol) - not the highest watts per square foot arrangement that I've seen (that was ~102 watts per) but the highest gross wattage. It was by all accounts an excellent producer though until the guy's wife decided she'd rather be his ex-wife and figured that he'd be easier to divorce if he was in jail. (Sad thing was that she was reportedly the one that convinced him to lease a house just for growing.)

Anyway, I (try to) keep an open mind and am wondering what the benefits of your CO2 setup are.

Thanks!

Hi and thanks for the feedback and questions. The primary reason for running the Co2 burner was because of costs. The initial setup is a little more expensive then running a tank system, but the long run costs are cheaper. The reason for having the Co2 is because the room is a sealed environment and I am no longer bringing fresh air into the room or venting old air out, so I have to supplement completely with the Co2 burner. I see your point with the 1200 watts, and I planned my electrical circuits to the room to accomodate
moving up to 2000 watts in the future or possibly run 4 600 watt lights. We will see how this initial run goes and I am sure I will be making some adjustments. Appreciate you stopping in and giving me your feedback - :smokin:

1st day of bloom !

The growth has been pretty outstanding over the past week. The clones were yellowing a bit when they came into their new room, but I am guessing that was due to the lack of nutrients I was giving them in the half-gallon pots prior to transplanting. The pics show the progress and I think the sealed room system is working. They got their first full dose of nutrients and shot up an inch almost overnight.

Pics!
Cheese-Clones-Bloom5.jpg
Day

Cheese-Clones-Bloom1.jpg

Cheese-Clones-Bloom2.jpg

Cheese-Clones-Bloom3.jpg

Cheese-Clones-Bloom4.jpg

The mini split a/c system is working like a champ and it has no problem keeping the room at 78 degrees all day long. So far I am very happy with that investment....my portable A/C would struggle to keep the room at 80 an would run non-stop. All advice and comments are welcome!

Peace !

Update - changed over to HPS bulbs yesterday. I had run them in bloom for a few days under MH lights. The stretching has started and the plants are looking real healthy. Took some photos after lights out to give some perspective.

Cheese-Bloom-1.jpg

Cheese-Bloom-2.jpg

Cheese-Bloom-3.jpg

Cheese-Bloom-4.jpg

Tomorrow they should be ready for some watering. I am adding some Sweet from botanicare to their non-nutrient feeding schedule to add some additional carbs in their diet.

Peace !

Those are beautiful, I'm going to make sure I check back often. I can't wait to see the finished product and get the smoke report.

Peace and 420 :peacetwo:

Those are beautiful, I'm going to make sure I check back often. I can't wait to see the finished product and get the smoke report.

Peace and 420 :peacetwo:

Thanks so much for the kind words. I have an update with some new pics since today is the 12th day of bloom. The growth has been fantastic and bud is popping out all over the place.

Pics:

Cheese-Bloomday12-1.jpg

Cheese-Bloomday12-2.jpg

Cheese-Bloomday12-3.jpg

Cheese-Bloomday12-4.jpg

Cheese-Bloomday12-5.jpg

There is some nutrient burn on a couple of the clones and I noticed that the mother this came from was very sensitive to heavy nutes. I am going to stick with 1/2 strenght for now and see how this plays out. Overall, I am pretty happy with the results so far. ;)

Back
Top Bottom