Usul's #3: Quest for the Ultimate Closet Grow

If it helps I gave you 5 stars...:grinjoint:. Don't feel bad, my journal is still unrated and like 20 pages in so....at least you got my vote.

I really like Beatrice....she kicks ass....:ganjamon:

I have no idea why I find her so pretty, she really isn't classically beautiful but....the whole tough chick thing gets me going I guess. :grinjoint:

:peace: brother. HAPPY 420! +rep

Thanks for the stars MH! - that's lookin' better :) I had Kill Bill 2 on last night while I was typing that last post and yea, Beatrix really does kick ass! In the garden, Beatrix is the bad girl, growing larger than Uma but making a few strange twists along the way.

Looking fantastic usul :)

How's the ppm of the runoff doing?

Hope you had a fantastic 420 with your own homegrown buds :)

-ultrasonic

Hi Ultra! Yea, those buds from the previous harvest are a real treat and much improved as they cure. Problem is I'm down to the last jar and am gonna run out before this grow is ready to harvest. I need to get a lot more output from my closet if it's to keep me in meds full time.

At the last feeding the nutes were pH7.1 and 750ppm going in and runoff was pH6.8 and 1550ppm. pH is looking good and that ppm number in the runoff is wacky high. But the plants are doing great.

I was really wavering about whether or not to be more aggresive with the light and nutes and am happy I went for it. The plants are looking great this morning and growth is finally starting to take off. We've got four more weeks of veg and should be in good shape when it's time to start flowering.

And the tweaking continues... just placed an order with my grow supplier and have two more 25W T5s on the way. The tent's cooling and ventilation systems are working really well so I'm going to double the side lighting. That'll bring total wattage up to nearly 350 and total lumens up to about 38,000. The 6500K tubes in the side lights will be replaced with 3000K tubes when we start flowering. That should help.

And I decided to go with the FF soluble tri-pack. Experience tells me this Red Cherry Berry strain likes lots of nutes so these girls are going to get all they can handle.

Lookin great!

How do you use the bar codes?

:goodjob:

Hi Papa, thanks for stopping by :) The bar codes are part of a long-term catalog/art project I'm cooking up. Still refining the code I'm using to generate the graphics, and exactly how they'll be used. In the meantime, they look cool ;)

And speaking of looking cool, hows about our new web site! Great job 420 staffers. Your ongoing service and support have made my world a better place. I've been meaning to send in a donation for months now and the site redesign pushed me over the edge (I used to be a web site designer and know what you've all been through - ya got my soft spot). The postmark on the envelope should read 4/20. I figure I'm good for a year and will include a donation to 420 Magazine in all future April 20th celebrations. Ya know, once prohibition is over 420 Magazine will be the Wine Spectator of the cannaculture world. A bit of rebranding may be needed but you're in the right place at close to the right time. Here's hoping you give members the first shot at your IPO when you go public!

Quick update: things are going well! The plants' growth rate continues to accellerate and the tent's environmental controls are working great.

Here's a pic of the girls at 17 days old:

g3d17.jpg

You've likely noticed the graphics I add to my pics. I've found it super helpful to refer back to previous grows and having lots of info in the pics is even better. The graphics are primarily for my benefit, but if you'd like to follow along here's a legend that explains what it all means:

code-explainer.jpg

Quick update: things are going well! The plants' growth rate continues to accellerate and the tent's environmental controls are working great.

Here's a pic of the girls at 17 days old:

g3d17.jpg

You've likely noticed the graphics I add to my pics. I've found it super helpful to refer back to previous grows and having lots of info in the pics is even better. The graphics are primarily for my benefit, but if you'd like to follow along here's a legend that explains what it all means:

code-explainer.jpg

edit to say; 5 stars, old horse.

Brilliant! I was looking at Edmund Scientific's weather gauge gizmos and wishing we could specify what gauges we want in a 'dashboard' product.
i'll read back to see if you hand enter those values, or if they are automatic.

Howdy y'all, we're now three weeks in to veg and things are getting interesting. First new thing: the new 24W T5s arrived and I've added them to the setup. They don't add much heat and they really brighten things up. Here's a shot of the tent at day 21. Ahhh, the blue glow of veggin' with a hint of the golden glow of HPS.

g3-d21-tent.jpg

The plants were drying out (it'd been 7 days) so it was time for watering. I'd planned to hit 'em with full stregnth nutes this time but noticed a hint of tip curl on Uma, and there were a few other signs that the root zone might be getting too hot (nute wise) so instead of doing what I'd planned (full strength nutes) I gave the girls a big nute-free flush - just 100% Hygrozyme and CalMag+. Trying to do the Plant Whisperer thing and and let them tell me what to do. The result: they loved it. Lesson learned: Be patient and listen to the plants. Here's a pic of the girls at day 21 veg:

g3-d21.jpg

Given that this is my second grow with this strain I can't help comparing this grow to where things were at last time around. Here's a pic for comparison:

g3-d21-compare.jpg

Oops, the 420 graphic cut off a part of my image. What it shows is that the first three nodes of this grow are about 20% behind the last grow, but the fourth node is about 50% ahead of where we were at this point in the last grow. Interesting...

I'll blame my newbie germination/seedling technique for the slow start and credit the recovery to my small amount of growing experience. Should be even more interesting to see how things grow from here on out.

Things are coming along nicely and I'm preparing plans for transplanting to the final 5 gal. containers, doing some LST, installing the ScrOG screen then flipping the switch to 12/12 flowering. That'll all happen within the next 3 weeks if things go according to plan. Of course, I'll be whispering with the plants and will adjust things according to their wishes.

edit to say; 5 stars, old horse.

Brilliant! I was looking at Edmund Scientific's weather gauge gizmos and wishing we could specify what gauges we want in a 'dashboard' product.
i'll read back to see if you hand enter those values, or if they are automatic.

Hey Tiger, good to hear from you and thanks for the stars! I've been feeling the loss since you finished your last journal and hope you'll be able to get a new grow going some day, either when the law or your comfort-level allow. Sounds like you're nearly as much a nerd as I am - ha ha! I've found nerd/geek traits are a huge bonus when it comes to indoor ganja farming and you have the gift.

Here's hoping we'll hear more from you - I always enjoy your posts.

That right there, is a VIP club for marijuana.
Beautiful start, and remember your last 2 were in hydro for a while, so they had a chance to get established. You're actually ahead.
+stars
+reps

:)

Howdy fellow growers.

Work has been keeping me very busy these days so keeping up to date on journaling has been a challenge. And the plants gave me a challenge as well...

The girls were doing great up until about 4 days ago then Beatrix started looking sad - leaves bent down in a wilty sort of posture. The pots were fairly dry and they had just a flush at the last watering so I gave 'em nearly full strength nutes (1320ppm). When I checked on them the next day Uma was happy but Beatrix was in even worse shape. Many of her leaves - especially the top ones - were curling under like a rams horn. I checked the plant problem analyzer Papa Green has posted at the beginning of his new journal (thanks Papa ;)) which says this problem is usually due to too much water, too much nutes or some sort of root disease. But given that Uma was doing great, and both plants have recieved exactly the same of everything I was scratching my head... then I remembered another symptom which was similar to the last grow: the problem plant looks good after 6 hours of dark and looks worst after 18 hours of light. I figured Beatrix must be root bound and needed transplanting. And I wanted to take a look at the roots. So, two hours later I had the plants in their final containers. I'd fed the plants the day before so after transplanting I just gave 'em pHed water and Hygrozyme. Tucked everything back in the tent and crossed my fingers. After about a day and a half, here's what the plants look like now:

g3-d26-tent.jpg

Problem solved. When I pulled Beatrix out of the pot her roots were indeed binding up around the bottom. I untangled them before putting her in the new pot. Uma was rootbound as well but seems to be a more hardy plant. This was my first time starting plants in soil so I'll forgive myself this one time. In the future, transplanting will happen by day 21 at the latest.

Anyway, things are coming right along, Here's a shot of the girls at day 26 veg:

g3-d26.jpg

Just 2 weeks and 2 days more of veg. The new growth is significantly larger than the previous grow at this point so we're lookin' good! Not sure if I mentioned this previously, but this grow is on a strict timetable - I have a lot of travel for my business in August and September so I need to be harvesting at the end of July - that'll be 10 weeks of flowering.

Gotta end on a sad note... just finished off the last of the previous harvest and am now without medical marijuana so it's back to the prescriptions (yuck). I must figure out how to get more meds from this setup - if I could get a little more than .5g/w I'd be fine so it should be possible.

Stay tuned :grinjoint:

That right there, is a VIP club for marijuana.
Beautiful start, and remember your last 2 were in hydro for a while, so they had a chance to get established. You're actually ahead.
+stars
+reps

:)

Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, you seem to be correct about being ahead of the last grow - although the lower leaves are quite small the new top growth is really taking off. Woo Hoo!

Howdy fellow growers.

Work has been keeping me very busy these days so keeping up to date on journaling has been a challenge. And the plants gave me a challenge as well...

The girls were doing great up until about 4 days ago then Beatrix started looking sad - leaves bent down in a wilty sort of posture. The pots were fairly dry and they had just a flush at the last watering so I gave 'em nearly full strength nutes (1320ppm). When I checked on them the next day Uma was happy but Beatrix was in even worse shape. Many of her leaves - especially the top ones - were curling under like a rams horn. I checked the plant problem analyzer Papa Green has posted at the beginning of his new journal (thanks Papa ;)) which says this problem is usually due to too much water, too much nutes or some sort of root disease. But given that Uma was doing great, and both plants have recieved exactly the same of everything I was scratching my head... then I remembered another symptom which was similar to the last grow: the problem plant looks good after 6 hours of dark and looks worst after 18 hours of light. I figured Beatrix must be root bound and needed transplanting. And I wanted to take a look at the roots. So, two hours later I had the plants in their final containers. I'd fed the plants the day before so after transplanting I just gave 'em pHed water and Hygrozyme. Tucked everything back in the tent and crossed my fingers. After about a day and a half, here's what the plants look like now:

g3-d26-tent.jpg

Problem solved. When I pulled Beatrix out of the pot her roots were indeed binding up around the bottom. I untangled them before putting her in the new pot. Uma was rootbound as well but seems to be a more hardy plant. This was my first time starting plants in soil so I'll forgive myself this one time. In the future, transplanting will happen by day 21 at the latest.

Anyway, things are coming right along, Here's a shot of the girls at day 26 veg:

g3-d26.jpg

Just 2 weeks and 2 days more of veg. The new growth is significantly larger than the previous grow at this point so we're lookin' good! Not sure if I mentioned this previously, but this grow is on a strict timetable - I have a lot of travel for my business in August and September so I need to be harvesting at the end of July - that'll be 10 weeks of flowering.

Gotta end on a sad note... just finished off the last of the previous harvest and am now without medical marijuana so it's back to the prescriptions (yuck). I must figure out how to get more meds from this setup - if I could get a little more than .5g/w I'd be fine so it should be possible.

Stay tuned :grinjoint:

What a great update. Always feels weird when I smoke the last bowl of a plant. Everything else is STELLAR. Big huge props on solving the rams horn leaves! I am still fighting that one in my scrog. I can't lift the buckets to see what's going on with the roots cause they're held in place by the scrog!

I think your goal of .5 g/w is low. I think you'll do better than that.

:thumb::goodjob::peacetwo:

Nice setup and plants you have going.

Hey Docbud good point on the Co2, I have seen some homemade Co2 bottles that seem to work pretty well. I personally sit in my room and talk to my plants...were good friends now :rollit:

Hey Docbud good point on the Co2, I have seen some homemade Co2 bottles that seem to work pretty well. I personally sit in my room and talk to my plants...were good friends now :rollit:

When I'm in the room, I watch my PPM meter and Co2 goes up about 300 points in five minutes.

Natural Co2 levels are about 380 here where I live. Just visiting and breathing a bit brings the levels right up.

I think I need to get my wife to spend more time with me in the growroom....

What a great update. Always feels weird when I smoke the last bowl of a plant. Everything else is STELLAR. Big huge props on solving the rams horn leaves! I am still fighting that one in my scrog. I can't lift the buckets to see what's going on with the roots cause they're held in place by the scrog!

I think your goal of .5 g/w is low. I think you'll do better than that.

:thumb::goodjob::peacetwo:

Thanks Papa, I appreciate the encouragement! After looking good for a few days Beatrix is back to her old ways and is being a pain in the ass - more about that in my next post... Man, I hope you're right about doing better than .5g/w - I'm gonna give it my best!

What a superb journal.

If you want to increase your yield, get some C02 going somehow. You can raise your temps up to between 80-84 with C02 and your yield will increase.

Thanks Doc - I love the CO2 idea but am not sure how to make it work in my tent. It's such a small space I have the ventilation running full-time - a small fan when the lights are off and a large fan when they're on. Odor control is a must and it seems I need constant airflow through the filter or these girls will be stinking up the whole house in a few weeks. Seems that with constant airflow I'd just be wasting the CO2? I imagine I could set up some sort of exotic on/off dance with the fans... can CO2 release be put on a timer?? I'd love to hear any thoughts about how I might make it work - it'd be a great next-step on the quest!

Reefa! Thanks for stopping by. Well, if sitting in the closet with my head in the tent counts for anything then I'm ahead of the game for sure ;) I'm in there three or four times a day. Keeping the environment just right is a delicate balance and easy to do when everything is working, but all it takes is one timer malfunction and it all falls apart. No big deal if I catch it soon, but if the tent gets out of whack for a few days the whole grow would be toast.

Here's a quick mid-week update. Growth is about where I'd expect but each of the plants are showing some different issues. Here's a profile shot of both plants:

g3-d30tent.jpg

Note that they are only about 4.5" tall. That's significantly shorter than the previous grow at this point and I'm thinking I'd like the girls to be a bit more leggy as that would help with training. Wondering if I should raise the lights (the 250W HPS is currently about 6" - 8" from the tops).

Uma's posture is looking good though I have noticed some nute burn on the lower leaves. That high PPM in the runnoff is taking its toll and I'm pretty sure the soil I'm using is too hot. They just got water and Hygrozyme at the transplant and there are no new signs of burn so I think we'll be fine. I'll likely go half strength with the nutes at the next watering.

And Beatrix is back to her "bent-down" posture. It's not pretty but she's showing no sign of nute burn and she's actually a bit ahead of Uma growth-wise. I had the same issue last time around and just seems to be a phase some plants in this strain go through - and they seem to grow out of it just fine.

Anyway, the issues are not enough of a problem to require drastic measures so I'm just going to stay the course. And I have to say what a benefit it is to have photos of this same strain in the last grow. It's super helpful to check growth rates against some sort of benchmark.

Finally, here's a pic of the girls at day 30 veg:

g3-d30.jpg

I'm planning to start some LST in the next day or two. Never done it before so it should be both interesting and educational.

Hmm, I feel that at 30 days those plants should be at least twice as high...

What are the ppms of your runoff? I still belive that you should flush the plants out good and proper (if they're 5 gal pails, flush them with 15 gal. of water). I think they'll really benefit from the refreshing, especially where before your ppms were up around 1000.

Don't forget growth will slow BEFORE more the more severe "burning" occurs, and I think you've just been riding that fence.

let me know what your thoughts are on this...

Back
Top Bottom