Vanilla Kush, Hydro Flood & Drain, By Gwhunran 2022

Vanilla Kush, feminized, Barney's Farm, photoperiod

Nutrients- General Hydroponics three part liquid

Flood and Drain- 3x3 tray, water level at overflow tube 2", res. 18 gal., 35watt air pump with two 6x2 stones and one 4x2 stone
Scrog screen will be used

Light- HLG 600R LED, 600 actual dimmable watts, quantum board type

Room 4' wide x 4' deep x 8' tall grow area, and about 4' of walking around room.

Ventilation- 6" inline fan, exhausted out of space. AC will be used when temps exceed the inline fan's ability to cool space enough
AC vertical style window unit more than enough for space when closed up.

One 12" fan mounted at ceiling, blowing down on plants and light
One 20" box fan blowing directly at plant level

I will be in hydro tray in about two weeks. I have taken cuttings from a mother/donor and they have just started rooting at Day 10.
I am using a DIY Bubble Cloner tupperware as posted in DIY forum section. In my case, the cuttings seem to do better using a dome at least for the first week. I will move the rooted cuttings to a 2nd bubble cloner with suggested General Hydroponics 3 part nutrients this weekend. After desired root development, four cuttings will be placed in six inch net pots with clay pebbles and be transferred to Flood and Drain tray.
Cloner tent using a 2ft four bulb T5 fixture, using 2 warm T5s and 2-6.5k led replacement T5s
VK3 Mother FIM.JPG

Vanilla Kush, mother/donor, result of attempted FIM
VK3 mother Day55 (3).JPG

Vanilla Kush mother before cuttings, Day 55
VK3 cuttings Day11 roots (1).JPG

Vanilla Kush cuttings day 11, roots starting at day 10 on some, will be picking four for the hydro tray, the others will find homes

Vanilla Kush cuttings. The two on the left have rooted and are in the bubble cloner with GH 3part liquid nutes recommended strength for seedlings/clones. 2.5 ml per gallon each of micro/grow/bloom and PHed. The others on the right are in a bubble cloner with PHed water. Some of these are showing signs of rooting too.
VK3 cuttings Day 13.JPG

Vanilla Kush cuttings Day 13

Nice cloners! We need to get your grows into your signature. Here is a helpful link to putting it into your signature. The way it is now I have to hit your avatar then hit the next avatar then find to get to your grows . Check it out .

Nice cloners! We need to get your grows into your signature. Here is a helpful link to putting it into your signature. The way it is now I have to hit your avatar then hit the next avatar then find to get to your grows . Check it out .
Looks like it worked. Thanks

Looks like it worked. Thanks
Both signatures work perfect great job ! Now at the bottom similar threads helps us find others growing like us . Really enjoy them adding this feature.

Day 17 cuttings with different levels of root development. I will continue with these in the diy bubble cloner with seedling levels of GH 3 part liquid nutrients, ph@5.5-6.0. When roots have more development, they will be moved to 6" net pots with clay pebbles and moved to the flood and drain tray.
VK cuttings Day 17 (1).JPG

Vanilla Kush cuttings day 17
VK cuttings Day 17 (2).JPG

Vanilla Kush cuttings Day 17, varying levels of root development

Day 0
Moved three of four Vanilla Kush cuttings to flood and drain tray, 23 days since cut from mother.

18 gallon res. usining General Hydroponics three part liquid set to 75% of recommended amounts for Early Growth. Added PH down to set at 5.5-6.0

Light set at 22" at less than 200w equals 24k lux measured at pvc tray top.

Two cuttings still in diy bubble cloner waiting for more root growth. I can only use one of them. I hope to get the forked one. I've never grown a forked cutting.

Vanilly Kush is supposed to be a short plant normally.
My strategy for the scrog grow is to fill the screen and then let it grow a little vertically before flipping the light to flower.
Not what I am going to try with the Hawaii Maui Waui, which is supposed to be a tall plant with lots of space between nodes while stretching. I will flip the light to flower before the screen is finished filling.
VK3 Day O Veg  (1).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 0, veg.
VK3 Day O Veg  (2).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 0 , veg.

When I did my afternoon check I found the hose from my air pump had come off. It had come off yesterday too. I thought it had come off yesterday because I had been moving stuff around and thought I'd loosened it. That must not have been the case. I put it back on and zip tied both ends to their fittings.
That was not the end though. Yesterday the res. seemed fine, but this afternoon, it smelled bad. I pumped the water out, refilled about halfway with tap water and pumped that through the tray, and then drained it again. I then reloaded it with the recommended 75% of Early Growth of GH three part liquid nutes and added PH down to 5.5-6.0.
Fingers crossed the sour water did no damage.

Start of 2nd res. Day 8 of veg in tray.
No real change in plants. The one on the right is starting to grow.
No change in light power or height above tray.
Repeated the nutrient load of the initial res., 75% of General Hydroponics three part liquid for "Early Growth."
PHed to 5.5-6.0.
Temps are getting warmer but I'm still only using exhaust fans on inkbird thermostats and oscillating fans.
Vanilla Kush Day 8 Veg (1).JPG

Vanilla Kush Day 8 in tray. Veg.
Vanilla Kush Day 8 Veg (2).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 8 in tray, Veg.

Vanilla Kush, Day 15 in Veg.

Res. Change today.
Nutes: 3 part GH liquid at 100% recommended for Early Growth.
PHed to 5.5-6.0 and added 35ml of Cal-mag+

Light: 230W out of 600w. 32k lux at 22"

With the other room starting flowering light schedule, the rooms will have to be closed off from each other, so the cooling and ventilation will be more complicated. We are supposed to get into the mid 80sF Sunday, so the AC will soon be turned on. I am thinking of upping the inkbirds setting on the exhaust ventilation to come on in case of AC failure but other wise stay off.

I also lowered the height of the scrog screen from 11" to 9". The Hawaii Maui Waui screen is 10". I may lower it too before the next grow gets that far.

I removed the VK plant that wasn't taking hold and replaced it with a Hawaii Maui Waui from the other tray that is just now taking off(it's in the back). It was way behind in the other tray. I also put the forked VK in front last week so it's a week behind the VK plants on each side.

VK Day 15 veg (1).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 15 veg. Res Change today.

VK Day 15 veg (2).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 15, Veg.

Vanilla Kush Day 17 in veg.
I turned on the AC and added a front firing fan. The fan firing down from the ceiling has been in operation since the beginning of the grow.
Light: Turned up dimmer to 250w out of 600w, 35k lux @ 22" from pvc tray cover.

VK Day 17 veg.JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 17, veg.

Vanilla Kush
Day 22 in veg.
Res. Change 4
100% of General Hydroponics three part liquid for 18gal. Early Growth.
Light: 250w out of 600w, 35k lux @22" from tray.

The two plants on the sides and the forked plant in the front are Vanilla Kush, the plant in the back is a Hawaii Maui Waui that was very late taking off and wouldn't fit in with the other three HMW which are now on day 6 since flip.

VK Day22 veg (1).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 22 in veg

VK Day22 veg (2).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 22 in veg.

VK Day22 veg (3).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 22 in veg.

Vanilla Kush, Day 23 in veg.

Light: adjusted to 350w out of 600w measured 42k lux at 23.5 inches from pvc tray cover.

View of front firing fan that's normally moved before pictures.
VK Day23  (1).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 23 veg. AC on the left, front firing fan.
VK Day23  (3).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 23 in veg.
VK Day23  (4).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 23 in veg. Screen installed. They'll be in it before long.

Vanilla Kush
Day 26 in the tray, veg.
The two on each side and the one in the front are VK. The one in the back is a Hawaii Maui Waui that didn't keep up in the other tray. It may end up being the biggest plant in this tray.
The VK in the front is a forked clone that went into the tray a week after the others. The mother plant was fimmed and I ended up with three main branches. In tying them back I split one branch so I went ahead and took clones, I was going to in a couple of days anyway. This is my first forked clone.
No changes to light settings, res. change in a couple days.
VK Day 26 veg (1).JPG

Vanilla Kush forked clone, 19 days in tray.
VK Day 26 veg (4).JPG

Vanilla Kush forked clone, 19 days in the tray. veg.
VK Day 26 veg (2).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 26, veg. Plant left center.
VK Day 26 veg (3).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 26, veg., plant center right, the biggest of the three.

Vanilla Kush
Day 29 Veg
Res change, 100% of GH 3 part liquid recommended amounts for Early Veg. PHed to 5.5-6.0 40ml Cal-mag+
Light unchanged

VK Day 29 Veg (1).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 29 in veg.

VK Day 29 Veg (2).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 29 in veg.

Vanilla Kush
Day 33 Veg.
PH good, topped up res.
VK Day 33 veg (1).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 33 veg

VK Day 33 veg (2).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 33 veg., Forked Clone in front.

VK Day 33 veg (4).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 33 veg., Center left, smallest plant so far.

VK Day 33 veg (5).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 33 veg., Center right plant, largest in the tray so far.

Vanilla Kush
Day 36 in veg
Res. change, 90% of recommended GH three part liquid nutes for 18gal in Late Grow. PHed to 5.5-6.0, 40ml Cal-mag+

Light raised to 22.5" above screen, 325w out of 600w, 42k lux @ screen

A few branches have been bent over to start scrog

VK Day 36 veg (1).JPG

Vanilla Kush Day 36 in veg.

VK Day 36 veg (3).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 36 in veg.

Vanilla Kush
Day 36 in veg
Res. change, 90% of recommended GH three part liquid nutes for 18gal in Late Grow. PHed to 5.5-6.0, 40ml Cal-mag+

Light raised to 22.5" above screen, 325w out of 600w, 42k lux @ screen

A few branches have been bent over to start scrog

VK Day 36 veg (1).JPG

Vanilla Kush Day 36 in veg.

VK Day 36 veg (3).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 36 in veg.
Hey Mucker how are things going today?

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill

Hey Mucker how are things going today?

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill
Doing good Bill. I bent some more branches over today. I'll take more pics on Sunday if not before. I hope I can get a more uniform fill on the screen with this grow. I see that you are going to be real busy with yours. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom