Hawaii Maui Waui, Hydro Flood & Drain By Gwhunran 2022

Hawaii Maui, feminized, Breeder: Nirvana
All the info I've read about this strain says it grows tall and is a pleasant tropical smoke on the lighter side of THC more like 15% rather than the 20% strains. Something you can smoke all day. Hey, I do that regardless of strain. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I am not in the flood and drain table but will be within three weeks.

To start, a quote I've found appropriate for growing this fine plant by none other than that wise philosopher, Iron Mike Tyson: "Everyone has a plan till they get hit in the mouth."

I planted one seed in a Root Riot plug the last week of December and it sprouted on New Years Day. The plug was planted in a 5" peat pot and after having roots trying to get out the bottom of the peat pot, it was re-potted into a 5 gallon fabric pot on day 33 from sprout. (Soil a mix of Coast of Maine and Ocean Forest) At day 52 cuttings were taken. I built a couple of the Bubble Cloners described in a DIY post. I have found with this strain and my set up, I have to use a misted dome until roots start. I didn't cover the cuttings nor mist them for half a day and some wilted and never recovered. Day 14, I have three with roots in the bubble cloner's water, I think I will get another one yet. There are a couple in today picture that will probably be thrown out, but I'll leave them for a few more days at least. I changed out the bubble cloner's ph adjusted water with very lightly nuted ph adjusted water that will carry the cuttings till moving into the hydro tray. I also changed out the aquarium air pump I was using for a more powerful one, so as of last night my bubble action is stronger. Note: 14 day old clone water seemed fresh at change.

These cuttings are in a small tent inside a climate controlled environment. Temps stay in the sixties F and the humidity stays in the 20% range in the dead of winter. I use a heat mat and keep it's thermostat at 75F.
Hawaii Maui Waui Day 52 before cuttings taken

Tent day0 cuttings.JPG
Day 0 of Hawaii Maui Waui cuttings without dome
HMW cuttings day0 (2).JPG
Day 0 Hawaii Maui Waui cuttings with dome
HMW cuttings w roots day 15 (1).JPG
Day 15 Hawaii Maui Waui, 3 with roots into cloner water, 1 looking good, the rest, who knows. My new more turbulent air pump :D
HMW cuttings w roots day 15 (2).JPG
They are pitiful looking bunch but 3 for sure are busting out the roots. Another picture in a few days.

I will be using GH Flora liquid 3 part for nutrients.
I use 3ml per gallon of GH PH Down to get low 6-high 5s water
The cloaner water is now PHed as above with 3ml each of Micro, Grow, and Bloom liquid nutrients in a little over 2 gal water.

Some pertinent information about my main grow space.

The grow area is 4'wide, x 4'long x 8'high with about 4' of walking around maintenance room. 256 cubic feet/7.25 cubic meters

My light is a HLG 600R quantum board style dimmable LED, true 600w. This will be my 1st grow with LEDs. My starting plan is to follow manufacturer recommendations and start at 36" above tray at about 25% power. I plan on little by little getting the light lower and upping the output power. I also will be running 16 on and 8 off in veg and running 12on/12off, then 11on/13off, then 10 on/14 off.

My tray is 3'x3' with a flush mounted inlet fitting in the center of the tray for the nuted water to inflow and drain when the pump cuts off. There is a piece of screen glued over the inlet to keep stuff from clogging the hole. My overflow fitting is mounted a couple of inches from the inflow fitting and is a little lower than the top of the tray to keep the nute water from overflowing the tray. I use mechanical timers on the nute water pump and the lowest time setting is 15 minutes. Well, it only takes 7 minutes to fill my tray so the other 7 plus minutes the water is going down the overflow and back into the res. After the nute water pump cuts off the water drains back down through the pump and into the res. I use the smallest hydro/aquarium/fountain water pump and turn it to its lowest setting and it still only takes 7 minutes, so you don't need a big pump.

I still have exhaust fan with a carbon filter, that was in extensive use when I ran hps/mh sealed lights. The exhaust air leaves the room. I have a 10k btu AC unit. I plan on using the inline exhaust controlled by an Inkbird to cool the room early in the grow, switching to the AC when it gets too hot. I will be using a electric oil radiator heater also controlled by an Inkbird early in the grow for freeze protection.

I have a second room set up just like this one, I will try and keep the two separate journals for clarity's sake. Let me talk about safety a bit. @Bill284
I am an older fellow and my grow area was a dream or bucket list item since I was a teenager.
The grow has it's own circuit breaker box with dedicated 90 amps available. I have spread out the electrical load and only use heavy gauge electrical cord for extensions. Each light, heater, and AC has it's own plug in. I always ask myself before leaving something on the floor, what would happen if my res floods and act accordingly.

I am probably forgetting something, but hey, I can edit or add it.
old flower rm 1-22 (2).JPG
Room to be used for Hawaii Maui Waui. I've sorted and streamlined/neated up my cords since this was taken. Bucket in tote/res is just holding supplies and will come out.

Some pertinent information about my main grow space.

The grow area is 4'wide, x 4'long x 8'high with about 4' of walking around maintenance room. 256 cubic feet/7.25 cubic meters

My light is a HLG 600R quantum board style dimmable LED, true 600w. This will be my 1st grow with LEDs. My starting plan is to follow manufacturer recommendations and start at 36" above tray at about 25% power. I plan on little by little getting the light lower and upping the output power. I also will be running 16 on and 8 off in veg and running 12on/12off, then 11on/13off, then 10 on/14 off.

My tray is 3'x3' with a flush mounted inlet fitting in the center of the tray for the nuted water to inflow and drain when the pump cuts off. There is a piece of screen glued over the inlet to keep stuff from clogging the hole. My overflow fitting is mounted a couple of inches from the inflow fitting and is a little lower than the top of the tray to keep the nute water from overflowing the tray. I use mechanical timers on the nute water pump and the lowest time setting is 15 minutes. Well, it only takes 7 minutes to fill my tray so the other 7 plus minutes the water is going down the overflow and back into the res. After the nute water pump cuts off the water drains back down through the pump and into the res. I use the smallest hydro/aquarium/fountain water pump and turn it to its lowest setting and it still only takes 7 minutes, so you don't need a big pump.

I still have exhaust fan with a carbon filter, that was in extensive use when I ran hps/mh sealed lights. The exhaust air leaves the room. I have a 10k btu AC unit. I plan on using the inline exhaust controlled by an Inkbird to cool the room early in the grow, switching to the AC when it gets too hot. I will be using a electric oil radiator heater also controlled by an Inkbird early in the grow for freeze protection.

I have a second room set up just like this one, I will try and keep the two separate in my journal for clarity's sake. Let me talk about safety a bit. @Bill284
I am an older fellow and my grow area was a dream or bucket list item since I was a teenager.
The grow has it's own circuit breaker box with dedicated 90 amps available. I have spread out the electrical load and only use heavy gauge electrical cord for extensions. Each light, heater, and AC has it's own plug in. I always ask myself before leaving something on the floor, what would happen if my res floods and act accordingly.

I am probably forgetting something, but hey, I can edit or add it.
old flower rm 1-22 (2).JPG
Room to be used for Hawaii Maui Waui. I've sorted and streamlined/neated up my cords since this was taken. Bucket in tote/res is just holding supplies and will come out.
Sounds great my friend @gwhunran
Just a couple things I didn't see mentioned , a smoke detector and a big fire extinguisher. :Namaste:
Room looks great. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill

Sounds great my friend @gwhunran
Just a couple things I didn't see mentioned , a smoke detector and a big fire extinguisher. :Namaste:
Room looks great. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill
Smoke detector wouldn't help. I can pick up a fire extinguisher though. Grow not in house. :D

You don’t use the four corners, I try to keep the girls 28” a part minimum.
I am hoping to tie the branches down on the screen in a 180 degree fan pattern with the center of the fan pattern pointed at 90 degrees straight to the center of the screen. I wish I could draw it on the page
. :rolleyes:

You don’t use the four corners, I try to keep the girls 28” a part minimum.
I used to have six holes on the pvc tray cover as on dice. The simplest way for me to keep the pvc tray cover, it's pricey, was to cover the corner holes, keep the center side holes, and cut two new holes, one in the back and one in the front. My grows now will really depend on making good use of the screen.

I am also growing MW among others, outdoor in greenhouses, continuous grow, custom soil mixture, 15 gal. smart pots. I have a low-tech cloning method that results in 100% success.

I use my own custom made organic soil mixture based on: compost soil, volcanic cinder (mostly black cinder), coco coir, perlite, fresh worm compost from our worm bins, and organic ferts from Down to Earth. The ferts: oyster shell powder, seabird guano, bat guano, dolomite, gypsum, greensand, potassium sulfate. I also add a little biochar if I have some. Of course, all of these in the right ratios.

Day 0 in Flood and Drain. Nutrients- 75% of GH 3part, Early Veg. chart. PH set to 5.5-6.0. Light output set to 25% at 33inches above tray
HMW Day0 veg (2).JPG
Hawaii Maui Waui Day 0 veg in Flood and Drain. 9 days since roots showing.

HMW Day0 veg (1).JPG

@gwhunran ,
I'll come along for the show if you don't mind. I haven't seen a flood and drain journal yet. I made something similar out of 3" PVC and pea gravel back in the early 80's. It grew a pretty nice crop of green beans.;)

Looks like a great start to the journal I love a flood and drain. Then again I love anything hydro. I'll follow along and see what I can pick up ;)

I put the little one in the tray and it will either make it or it won't. I will be setting the nutes to the three larger plants. I plan on doing a res change tomorrow or the next day. 100% of recommended GH 3 part for early veg, I'm at 75% on current res. I have lowered the light to 30" and bumped up the light output a little.
I used a lux meter to measure at recommended 36" and 25% power, reading was 19.5K. I measured the output of my 2' four bulb T5s in my clone tent, it read 18.k, so I figured it could be increased. After lowering and turning it up a little it now reads 25k. The dimmer positions are not linear or the lux values aren't.
If I turn the light full blast at 30", the meter reads 56k lux as calculated, but the dimmer positions in between are not. Halfway is not 50% of expected lux values. I think I will get a wattmeter and take the measured current draw at he socket and mark the actual watts in increments on the light. 200w, 300w, 400w, 500w, and 600w.
At the current power draw, close to 50%, the light fixture is still cool to the touch, at full power the light chassis gets warm. The ambient temperature is still cool at night and using the exhaust fan on an inkbird controller is keeping the temps below 80F during the warmest part of the day and the electric radiator heater also on an inkbird, is keeping things at 60F at night. Everything is going okay and hopefully they will start taking off soon. At the one week mark, tomorrow, they are increasing in size but not exploding with growth yet. I will take pictures tomorrow. While they are still small with no obvious problems, there's not much to see.

Hawaii Maui Waui
Day 8 in tray. Day 17 since roots
2nd Res yesterday. GH 3 part, suggested recipe in early veg for 18gallon.
PH down added, 52 ml, ph tested today @ upper 5s lower 6s.
Light still set to 25k lux @ 30"
I changed the air pump to 35w pump. The old one was less than 10w.
HMW veg day8 (2).JPG

Hawaii Maui Waui Day 8 in tray, Day 17 since roots.
Res 35w air pump.JPG

Res being hit with new 35w air pump. Using two 6x2 air stones and one 4x2 air stone.

Back
Top Bottom