Vanilla Kush, Hydro Flood & Drain, By Gwhunran 2022

Vanilla Kush
Day 42 since flip

Res. change day
Nutrient load set between Mid Bloom and Late Bloom of recommended amounts of GH three part liquid nutrients.
PHed to 5.5-6.0 added 60ml Cal-Mag+, and 30ml KoolBloom.

Light height and power levels unchanged

AC set to recirc. mode and room fans set to max

For the strains I've grown, the 40-55 day part of flower is time when the magic happens. We'll see.

VK Day 42 flower (8).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 42 flower

VK Day 42 flower (2).JPG

VK Day 42 flower (9).JPG

VK Day 42 flower (4).JPG

VK Day 42 flower (6).JPG

VK Day 42 flower (10).JPG

VK Day 42 flower (11).JPG

VK Day 42 flower (12).JPG

I don't know about the nutes. The HMW grow showed some yellowing too on one plant in particular but it was more on the bud leaves. I was more inclined to blame it on the light in that position and too much nitrogen. Some of the reading I had done on the strain cautioned on too much N. But those same journals had the strain stretching and being kinda lanky. Mine was short and thick. The HMW in the Vanilla Kush tray is mostly just overwhelmed.

I don't know about the nutes. The HMW grow showed some yellowing too on one plant in particular but it was more on the bud leaves. I was more inclined to blame it on the light in that position and too much nitrogen. Some of the reading I had done on the strain cautioned on too much N. But those same journals had the strain stretching and being kinda lanky. Mine was short and thick. The HMW in the Vanilla Kush tray is mostly just overwhelmed.

Hey gw! Hope you don't think I'm being critical, I'm just interested. I've dealt with what I'm pretty sure is too much N and you'll see clawing leaves and a deep dark green coloring. To my eye the HMW looks the opposite if anything. She'll be fine it's just interesting to see how the different strains react to the same nutes. Obviously the VK loves what you're doing. How many lights are they under? Hope you have a great day :thumb:

I'm not taking offense. When the nute load is at 100% of the manufacturer's recommendations, I doubt it could be too little. Although in middle to late flower the recommendations for N are quite a bit less than in veg. Plus the Cal-Mag+ numbers on the container show mostly N, so could it be the combination of both?
The label on KoolBloom shows mostly K&P so I usually back off on my Bloom nutes by the amount of KoolBloom I add, it's more concentrated, so my K&P is still at the max.

I am using a HLG 600R in both rooms. It's dimmer controlled and in the beginning I took a wattmeter and hooked it up inline with the light. Then I turned the dimmer up, stopping on the hundred watt increments and marked the light dimmer positions at 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 watt positions. I also measured the LUX values at each positions. There was very little increase in LUX from 500-600w, so I am stopping at 450w and get just about the same amount of LUX at 450 as at 600w using less electricity and less heat output. Even at full blast the light heat sink is not hot to the touch but it's warm if not a little warmer than the human body so it will heat the room. No problem for the AC. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Vanilla Kush
Day 44 since flip

Everything running normal. Changed out CO2 bucket.

Will be posting pics more often now that flowering should be in high gear.
Note the Hawaii Maui Waui pic. I usually don't single it out, It requires a lot of lean without using zoom. :rolleyes:

VK Day 44 flower (6).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 44 flower

VK Day 44 flower (3).JPG

VK Day 44 flower (8).JPG

VK Day 44 flower (2).JPG

HMW in VK tray Day 44.JPG

Hawaii Maui Waui in the back of the tray. Doesn't like the nute load the way the VK does. :oops:

Vanilla Kush
Day 46 since flip

Everything running normally. I usually add PH up once a day, sometimes twice, to keep the PH in the 5.5-6.0 range

Buds are building nicely. It's hard to capture but every bud is bluish gray around their core. I think I'll put a couple of these on @Bill284 purple thread. :cheesygrinsmiley:

VK Day 46 flower (8).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 46 flower

VK Day 46 flower (9).JPG

VK Day 46 flower (10).JPG

VK Day 46 flower (4).JPG

VK Day 46 flower (3).JPG

VK Day 46 flower (6).JPG

VK Day 46 flower (7).JPG

Looking really good man. All except that lone yellowish mowi wowi in the back. The vanilla kush, though. :drool:

Vanilla Kush
Day 46 since flip

Everything running normally. I usually add PH up once a day, sometimes twice, to keep the PH in the 5.5-6.0 range

Buds are building nicely. It's hard to capture but every bud is bluish gray around their core. I think I'll put a couple of these on @Bill284 purple thread. :cheesygrinsmiley:

VK Day 46 flower (8).JPG

VK Day 46 flower (9).JPG

VK Day 46 flower (10).JPG

VK Day 46 flower (4).JPG

VK Day 46 flower (3).JPG

VK Day 46 flower (6).JPG

VK Day 46 flower (7).JPG

:thanks: :drool:

Stay safe :cool:
Bill284

Dewwwwwwwwwd!!!

Well done son! DWC and SCRoG will take on all comers and SQUASH, am I right? What a classic DWC SCRoG grow. So beautiful. I`ll remember this pic and grow for quite a while, really made an impression. I think those def. qualify as purple, G, yeah, for sure. As a matter of fact, just the right amount. I`m hoping the Pink Runtz autos I have coming along will colour up similarly. I love it when the colour is just enough to cause a double-take.

Great SCRoGging G, and by asking you what you`d change or fix please understand the context, I`ve discovered that asking people what they`d tweak after a truly excellent run really gets to the heart of the matter, they`ve an interesting perspective at those times, and I`ve had a lot of interesting answers. So, would you change anything, do you think lights are holding you back? Temps?

Thanks for sharing this. I`ll tag you when my plants are a little more interesting to look at.

Because my grow, from the equip to the space, is all totally new to me, I`ve decided to run 6 of my 8 plants in SIPs and only run two, maybe 3, in a DWC res. At the moment it is not100 percent guaranteed whether, on the very hottest summer days, I will be able to keep my reservoir temp below 72 degrees, and I don't like to put in that much thought and effort into things that have such large potential flaws. I`m committed to individual, unconnected DWC res, and therefore, no chillers. I did create large-capacity, 27 gal. reservoirs for summer grows, and I`ve outfitted each with a 120mm computer fan blowing across the surface which is helping a lot, but I`m just not willing to commit my entire grow with such a large unknown hanging over me. Because, I wouldn`t mind having some actual weed to smoke at some point (I`ve committed to myself either to grow it or not use it, I don`t want to spend my $$ at the dispensary).

Frozen water bottles aren`t a solution to my mind, but I am going to run one DWC rez so that at least I`ll know the answer to the question. I do have effective air conditioning in my lung room, but I`m hoping to run CO2 and that effectively nixes my air con. It occurs to me that perhaps un-chilled DWC and CO2 are incompatible, I don`t know, but because I have 1100W LEDs that run exceptionally cool at 650W while deploying a 45 DLI over a 5x5, it`s a frontier I`d like to approach and attempt... within reason.

I`m going to run a SIP alongside my DWC in one 5x5, growing the same strain, each container built from the same 27 gallon storage totes, which ought to be interesting as far as direct comparos go. Alas, I`ve not grown weed for quite some time and I`ve already stumbled a few times in the seedling stage, but I remain game. I don`t expect to approach this wonder you`ve created here, by god it is beautiful, but trying is already quite good fun.

Thanks again for sharing, it really does help those of us coming along on your coattails a great deal, and we`re most grateful. Congratulations on your achievement.

Dewwwwwwwwwd!!!

Well done son! DWC and SCRoG will take on all comers and SQUASH, am I right? What a classic DWC SCRoG grow. So beautiful. I`ll remember this pic and grow for quite a while, really made an impression. I think those def. qualify as purple, G, yeah, for sure. As a matter of fact, just the right amount. I`m hoping the Pink Runtz autos I have coming along will colour up similarly. I love it when the colour is just enough to cause a double-take.

Great SCRoGging G, and by asking you what you`d change or fix please understand the context, I`ve discovered that asking people what they`d tweak after a truly excellent run really gets to the heart of the matter, they`ve an interesting perspective at those times, and I`ve had a lot of interesting answers. So, would you change anything, do you think lights are holding you back? Temps?

Thanks for sharing this. I`ll tag you when my plants are a little more interesting to look at.

Because my grow, from the equip to the space, is all totally new to me, I`ve decided to run 6 of my 8 plants in SIPs and only run two, maybe 3, in a DWC res. At the moment it is not100 percent guaranteed whether, on the very hottest summer days, I will be able to keep my reservoir temp below 72 degrees, and I don't like to put in that much thought and effort into things that have such large potential flaws. I`m committed to individual, unconnected DWC res, and therefore, no chillers. I did create large-capacity, 27 gal. reservoirs for summer grows, and I`ve outfitted each with a 120mm computer fan blowing across the surface which is helping a lot, but I`m just not willing to commit my entire grow with such a large unknown hanging over me. Because, I wouldn`t mind having some actual weed to smoke at some point (I`ve committed to myself either to grow it or not use it, I don`t want to spend my $$ at the dispensary).

Frozen water bottles aren`t a solution to my mind, but I am going to run one DWC rez so that at least I`ll know the answer to the question. I do have effective air conditioning in my lung room, but I`m hoping to run CO2 and that effectively nixes my air con. It occurs to me that perhaps un-chilled DWC and CO2 are incompatible, I don`t know, but because I have 1100W LEDs that run exceptionally cool at 650W while deploying a 45 DLI over a 5x5, it`s a frontier I`d like to approach and attempt... within reason.

I`m going to run a SIP alongside my DWC in one 5x5, growing the same strain, each container built from the same 27 gallon storage totes, which ought to be interesting as far as direct comparos go. Alas, I`ve not grown weed for quite some time and I`ve already stumbled a few times in the seedling stage, but I remain game. I don`t expect to approach this wonder you`ve created here, by god it is beautiful, but trying is already quite good fun.

Thanks again for sharing, it really does help those of us coming along on your coattails a great deal, and we`re most grateful. Congratulations on your achievement.
Thank you.
I should first mention this is not really a DWC but a Flood and Drain. Let me know if your not familiar with it. I've changed things after each grow. Most of the things I would change or add now are a lot harder. ($) I would like to have a generator large enough to run everything on the property including my grow rooms. I would like to have more precise control over humidity.
I thought about mounting my ACs long and hard before installing them. I decided to mount them low so that the air could be deflected on the reservoirs to keep them cooler. I change out the res. every week at least, unless the plants are very small and I know they haven't used too much of the nutes available. That way bad things don't have much time to grow. I keep the ACs between 75F and 80F, so my reservoirs are going to be around there too. I have lots of aeration, probably more than I need to also keep bad things from growing there. It seems to work. Early on this season I had the main hose come off my air pump and in less than a day the water smelled bad.
I have measuring devices in the grow rooms that let me know the temp and humidity from a distance and the grow room environment is both stable and healthy.
I am not an expert. I have come to a point where in a lot of ways I grow like my Grandma's cooked. I follow the nute makers recommendations for amounts but subjectively choose what stage I think the plants are at. Right now I am adding nutes at a level in between Mid Bloom and Late Bloom. Mid Bloom list a small amount of N and Late Bloom list no N. I split the difference. I also subtracted the ml of KoolBloom from the amount of PK recommended for Late Bloom since KoolBloom is even more concentrated PK.

My philosophy on growing weed is:
They want to grow
Give them the best environment that I can within reason
It is always better to leave them hungry than burnt
Don't make more than one change at a time if trying to figure a problem out
And like the Master said to Kung Fu's Young Cain, "Patience Grasshopper"

Vanilla Kush
Day 48 since flip

Res. change after six days instead of seven and the next one will be after six days too. I am just planning my reservoirs to end up with at least five days of flush if they go 70 days. Barney's Farm says 60 days of flower and who knows if that's from flip or once flowering starts. I noticed pistil clumps at 10 days, so they were showing before that.

Reservoir: Nute levels added were in between GH three part liquid recommendations for Mid and Late Bloom. PHed to 5.5-6.0, Added 30ml KoolBloom and 50ml Cal-Mag+. I will reduce the CalMag again on the next change and may or may not discontinue KoolBloom depending on what the buds are doing.

Light is unchanged. 450w out of 600w and 49k LUX at the canopy center

AC in recirc. mode and fans on max.

CO2 bucket still going.

VK Day 48 Flower (4).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 48 Flower

VK Day 48 Flower (2).JPG

VK Day 48 Flower (12).JPG

VK Day 48 Flower (3).JPG

VK Day 48 Flower (11).JPG

HMW in VK tray Day 48 (2).JPG

Hawaii Maui Waui hiding in the back. Day 49 flower

VK Day 48 Flower (10).JPG

VK Day 48 Flower (13).JPG

VK Day 48 Flower (7).JPG

Thank you.
I should first mention this is not really a DWC but a Flood and Drain. Let me know if your not familiar with it. I've changed things after each grow. Most of the things I would change or add now are a lot harder. ($) I would like to have a generator large enough to run everything on the property including my grow rooms. I would like to have more precise control over humidity.
I thought about mounting my ACs long and hard before installing them. I decided to mount them low so that the air could be deflected on the reservoirs to keep them cooler. I change out the res. every week at least, unless the plants are very small and I know they haven't used too much of the nutes available. That way bad things don't have much time to grow. I keep the ACs between 75F and 80F, so my reservoirs are going to be around there too. I have lots of aeration, probably more than I need to also keep bad things from growing there. It seems to work. Early on this season I had the main hose come off my air pump and in less than a day the water smelled bad.
I have measuring devices in the grow rooms that let me know the temp and humidity from a distance and the grow room environment is both stable and healthy.
I am not an expert. I have come to a point where in a lot of ways I grow like my Grandma's cooked. I follow the nute makers recommendations for amounts but subjectively choose what stage I think the plants are at. Right now I am adding nutes at a level in between Mid Bloom and Late Bloom. Mid Bloom list a small amount of N and Late Bloom list no N. I split the difference. I also subtracted the ml of KoolBloom from the amount of PK recommended for Late Bloom since KoolBloom is even more concentrated PK.

My philosophy on growing weed is:
They want to grow
Give them the best environment that I can within reason
It is always better to leave them hungry than burnt
Don't make more than one change at a time if trying to figure a problem out
And like the Master said to Kung Fu's Young Cain, "Patience Grasshopper"
How embarrassing… I do recall now having originally thought you were running a DWC for quite some time, then suddenly realizing it was F&D. Looks like I’ve regressed! Classic Reservoir Dog move that one.

Are you perchance cloning with a small DWC bubbler? I’ll go look.

You run two ‘rooms’ do you not? I’m going to back through your journals again and get it all straight, you needn’t bother laying it all out for me here.

I do want to ask, vis a vis your split ACs, are you saying that you’re happy with the current setup? Keeping temps under 80 must not be too difficult for such a powerful ac setup.

We’ve traditionally had limited access to splits here in Canada as only licensed techs could purchase for install which limited our use during prohibition. Laws have changed now however. I have two 5x5 flower spaces(tents), each also has its own 5x5 lung room that I can keep seperate from each other or join (mainly so I can run co2 in just one) and my ac is on wheels, about 10kbtu but of limited utility, lung room use only essentially.

Also, I take it your running passive Co2, sugar and yeast deployed through a bubbler? No co2 monitoring?

I’m deploying a hybrid system… a 5 gallon airtight sugar/yeast bucket outside the tent with a heat mat underneath. Heat mat and an air pump are on a timer with lights, at lights-on mat heats, activating yeast, and air pump fills airtight bucket that has a second airline with one way on it that leads into tent. The air pump displaces the co2 out through this line into the grow. At lights out timer shuts down the heat mat and airpump. Obviously the reaction continues but in theory this provides a modicum of control. What do you think? I also have a traditional 20lb tank co2 system controlled by an Inkbird controller that tops the ppm off at 1500ppm. I’m still collecting the data, and my monitor/controller is limited as a datalogger, but I’m hoping the sugar tank will help stretch out the time between pressure-tank refills substantially. Still working out how best to quantify and qualify this systems efficacy but it is at least maintaining the 1500ppm level quite well. I also vent the co2 from my winemaking into the grow whenever I have something going. Thanks for your prev response, I’m going to do another run-thru of your journals. All the best to you and yours.

How embarrassing… I do recall now having originally thought you were running a DWC for quite some time, then suddenly realizing it was F&D. Looks like I’ve regressed! Classic Reservoir Dog move that one.

Are you perchance cloning with a small DWC bubbler? I’ll go look.

You run two ‘rooms’ do you not? I’m going to back through your journals again and get it all straight, you needn’t bother laying it all out for me here.

I do want to ask, vis a vis your split ACs, are you saying that you’re happy with the current setup? Keeping temps under 80 must not be too difficult for such a powerful ac setup.

We’ve traditionally had limited access to splits here in Canada as only licensed techs could purchase for install which limited our use during prohibition. Laws have changed now however. I have two 5x5 flower spaces(tents), each also has its own 5x5 lung room that I can keep seperate from each other or join (mainly so I can run co2 in just one) and my ac is on wheels, about 10kbtu but of limited utility, lung room use only essentially.

Also, I take it your running passive Co2, sugar and yeast deployed through a bubbler? No co2 monitoring?

I’m deploying a hybrid system… a 5 gallon airtight sugar/yeast bucket outside the tent with a heat mat underneath. Heat mat and an air pump are on a timer with lights, at lights-on mat heats, activating yeast, and air pump fills airtight bucket that has a second airline with one way on it that leads into tent. The air pump displaces the co2 out through this line into the grow. At lights out timer shuts down the heat mat and airpump. Obviously the reaction continues but in theory this provides a modicum of control. What do you think? I also have a traditional 20lb tank co2 system controlled by an Inkbird controller that tops the ppm off at 1500ppm. I’m still collecting the data, and my monitor/controller is limited as a datalogger, but I’m hoping the sugar tank will help stretch out the time between pressure-tank refills substantially. Still working out how best to quantify and qualify this systems efficacy but it is at least maintaining the 1500ppm level quite well. I also vent the co2 from my winemaking into the grow whenever I have something going. Thanks for your prev response, I’m going to do another run-thru of your journals. All the best to you and yours.
Don't worry about it. Yes, I did make use of a DWC type cloner and one to park the Headroom Incident in for a few weeks. I have had root issues so far using the DWC tupperware. I don't know the cause. The Headroom Incident is just now recovering in the tray.
A few years ago, I wanted to learn how to make alcohol and I got a couple of small barrels to age it in. Well as you probably know, the barrels lose some all the time. My barrels aren't very thick. Anyway, I needed to make more alcohol for my barrels and like you are/were doing, why not give the CO2 byproduct to the plants. I use sugar, water, caramelized barley, stone ground corn, a portion of the liquid leftover in the distiller from the previous run (sour mash), and a little bit of yeast. The bucket will bubble from 3-5 days before I need to make another.
I think the CO2 is having a positive effect. The three plants are clones from the same mother so they should at least look alike in the same hydro tray. I off centered the CO2 bubbler thinking the way the fans were blowing it would spread fairly evenly.
If you look at the overhead pic of the screen the side where the CO2 is released is taller and greener. :oops:

Vanilla Kush
Day 50 since flip

Nothing out of the ordinary. CO2 bucket change today. Flowers are developing nicely.

VK Day 50 flower (9).JPG

Vanilla Kush Day 50 flower

VK Day 50 flower (10).JPG

VK Day 50 flower (5).JPG

VK Day 50 flower (6).JPG

VK Day 50 flower.JPG

VK Day 50 flower (7).JPG

VK Day 50 flower (8).JPG

Vanilla Kush
Day 52 flower

Everything running normally. Added 5-7ml PH up. Pretty much an everyday thing between reservoir changes. CO2 bucket bubbling away.

Light unchanged. 450w out of 600w, 50k lux measured at canopy.

The buds are looking fine. I am having my doubts at the moment whether they will go 70 days.

VK Day 52 flower (3).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 52 flower

VK Day 52 flower (9).JPG

VK Day 52 flower (10).JPG

VK Day 52 flower (11).JPG

VK Day 52 flower (12).JPG

HMW in VK tray Day 52 flower.JPG

Mostly Hawaii Maui Waui if the leaves are yellow and the bud is not blue. Day 52 flower

Vanilla Kush
Day 54 since flip

Res. change day. Used 100% recommended GH three part liquid nutes for Late Bloom. Added 50 ml CalMag+ and 25 ml KoolBloom. Phed to 5.5-6.0.

CO2 bucket still bubbling

If things go as expected the next reservoir change will be to GH three part nutes recommendation for "Ripen" and I'll cut off the CalMag+, KoolBloom, and CO2. The res. change after that will be straight water.

VK Day 54 flower (9).JPG

Vanilla Kush, Day 54 flower

VK Day 54 flower (10).JPG

VK Day 54 flower (11).JPG

VK Day 54 flower (5).JPG

VK Day 54 flower (6).JPG

Back
Top Bottom