VictorVonDoom's 1st Grow - Converted Mini Fridge - Indoor/Soil 2013

Lots of good info being shared here. I assume in a soil grow, the molasses is to feed the bennies in the soil? Or is it to add flavor to the bud?

Lots of good info being shared here. I assume in a soil grow, the molasses is to feed the bennies in the soil? Or is it to add flavor to the bud?

The molasses is there to provide a source of sugars and starches for the plant to absorb during flowering. Some growers say it acts as a bulking formula, and some say it gives for a cleaner flush...who knows, but I do know you can get a great harvest either or;)

>>>Since the 2nd week of flower I have been feeding about every 5 days with 1.5l of fish tank water 2.5ml of molasses and 1/2 strength tomato nutrients. I haven't been watering in between. Haha, have I been doing it wrong?

I wouldn't necessarily say so Vic. But when watering with nutrient solution on every water, (in my experience) have led to salt build ups and nute burn in the soil. The best way I can logically explain it is: By watering in between feeding, the roots have a chance to leech more nutrients out of it than if there were always more and more nutrients in the medium. Sort of like a mini-flush essentially.

She looks good V, good work keeping her so short, your almost at the finish line. :thumb:

Thank you stealthgrow

Easy Skybound :thumb:

I wouldn't necessarily say so Vic. But when watering with nutrient solution on every water, (in my experience) have led to salt build ups and nute burn in the soil. The best way I can logically explain it is: By watering in between feeding, the roots have a chance to leech more nutrients out of it than if there were always more and more nutrients in the medium. Sort of like a mini-flush essentially.

Ahhh, get ya. I think I got away with no nute burn as I havent been using nutes since the start. This now makes me think I should just be adding filtered water for my last 3-4 feeds. As their is already a build up of nutrients and salts in the soil, so this will be like me gradually reducing my feed.

Nice one AG

:Namaste:

Hey B.real just been re-reading my journal and forgot to ask these questions on some stuff I didn't quite understand

hmm. just watch her. the buds are a bit airy still and they usually fill out in the final weeks, but you did spread the buds out a lot and have a lot of tops.

>>Are you saying that me spreading the buds out and having many tops is a good or bad thing?

you always have to look at how much real wattage you're working with.

>>Why is this? could you explain on how this was meant in relation to my grow.

Safe

Hey B.real just been re-reading my journal and forgot to ask these questions on some stuff I didn't quite understand

Safe

imo it's a neutral thing. the plant is going to stack buds according to how much light it receives. if you were to not train and just leave the lights at the top you would probably hurt your yield, becuase cfls don't penetrate that deeply. if you were to not train and put cfls on the sides, you would probably get the same yield as you are now that you've trained the plant and kept it close to the light.

in your situation, with the light coming from above (that doesn't penetrate as well as the sun or an hid) training was a good idea.

the long veg time to create that many tops? maybe not a good idea, since the buds will now be spread even more. the plant will do what it wants, it'll find spots for the buds as long as the wattage and light intensity is there.

the more fan leaves, the quicker and bigger the buds will be. vegging does give you a lot of fan leaves which is a positive thing.

you have to find a balance of veg time and training for your wattage situation to get the most efficient yield you can.

how long did you veg for?

Just forwarding a post from CA215 so I don't lose it

I would say begin your flushing, but dont flush the soil completely. Begin with watering with just plain water and mollassees. On your last week before you chop, flush the root zone with 2-3x the amount of water/soil and you will be fine! Goodjob!

Brilliant explanation, much apreciated

how long did you veg for?

It was 5 weeks from planting the seed untill switching to 12/12

that's what I mean. that veg time is a little overkill for your lighting situation and created too many "little" tops. if they all swell up I'll have to eat my words.

remember, the more fan leaves the more supply to those tops, the bigger the tops.

I think a 2 maybe 3 week veg would be ideal in your situation.

edit: you do have all your tops by the light so you may get the best yield possible out of your area this round. we should just wait and see and stop speculating :)

I edited my post above.

by little I mean not full blow big colas, but that's ok because the plant spread the weight around to multiple tops instead of a few huge ones.

again, the plant does what it wants according to light, water, nutrients, and stress. I think you will yield the same as if you vegged a shorter amount of time and had a few less tops. I think the yield will be the same or at least similar, that's all. in the end it comes down to getting your harvest a couple weeks earlier by cutting some veg time. :thumb:

I edited my post above.

by little I mean not full blow big colas, but that's ok because the plant spread the weight around to multiple tops instead of a few huge ones.

again, the plant does what it wants according to light, water, nutrients, and stress. I think you will yield the same as if you vegged a shorter amount of time and had a few less tops. I think the yield will be the same or at least similar, that's all. in the end it comes down to getting your harvest a couple weeks earlier by cutting some veg time. :thumb:

Not to go against you or to be a party pooper B, but wouldn't we want to essentially increase veg time for bigger yields?

Not to go against you or to be a party pooper B, but wouldn't we want to essentially increase veg time for bigger yields?

if you have a strong enough light yeah. theres always bottlenecks in every system, you cant just throw physics out the window

I think you all are spot on, although, I really think a longer veg time is going to increase yield as you are going to have more bud sites, AS LONG as their are no big stressful times for the plant.. pretty much situational dependent, spot on Mono as lst, super cropping, tucking, bending, environment is also all going to help your yield in the end if the steps were correct. But again.... all strains and genetics are different so ill just go put my two cents in my piggy bank :laugh:

Cant wait to see a little photo shoot from your neck of the woods Vic! :Namaste:
Good day!

When you say filter you mean a DE-chlorinating filter or one that removes dissolved solids? I use a Brita faucet filter that removes chlorine, and other trace metals from the water, does very little to PPM though.

I think the PPM comes from the dissolved stuff and the Brita only removes solids, it took me an age to work out why all the filtering had so little effect:tokin:

Due to popular demand....

Photo Update - Flower Day 81 (From 12/12 flip)

Watered Wednesday with 1.5l of just filtered faucet water.

Enough dry chat, here's the main event.

DSC006426.JPG

DSC006624.JPG

DSC006616.JPG

DSC006607.JPG

DSC006596.JPG

DSC006586.JPG

DSC006576.JPG

DSC006555.JPG

DSC006546.JPG

DSC006532.JPG

DSC006524.JPG