VictorVonDoom's 1st Grow - Converted Mini Fridge - Indoor/Soil 2013

I got another 2-3 weeks yet.

I also take samples. samples are fun. samples are best 7+ weeks in bloom. what I meant by my statement was let the plant fully mature before cutting the whole thing.

I also take samples. samples are fun. samples are best 7+ weeks in bloom. what I meant by my statement was let the plant fully mature before cutting the whole thing.

Don't worry pal, I got ya. Your right, If I wasn't broke I wouldn't be sampling like I am. In fact what I'm doing is just cutting of tops when I want to smoke.

Don't worry pal, I got ya. Your right, If I wasn't broke I wouldn't be sampling like I am. In fact what I'm doing is just cutting of tops when I want to smoke.

i was just about to say dont go thinking its better to take lower ones cause its a waste. just take a top when its ready. i def wouldnt clip till you get some orange hairs:thumb:

Yeah that was my way of thinking, take off the tops that look ready and leave the underneath to grow, and develop as the lower parts still had white pistils.

I've got two plants in there one is a staiva dominant and the other is indica dominant. I'm just taking bits from the indica Dom one as its flower is shorter and I'm leaving the sative Dom one as its nowhere near ready.

I agree no point cutting till the pistils wither up, I noticed that the buts fatten up during this process too.

@FunkySkunk

Umm...not very good at describing stuff but I would say,
white widow x skunk #1, smells citrus like when i rub my hands on the flowers.
Akorn, dunno how to describe this one but it smells very nice.

Flower Day 71 (from flip to 12/12)

Hey 420, hope all is well.
Had a pretty busy January.
Not to much to report again.
The buds on Shirley Jones are putting some weight on and looking sparkly. Very happy.

Check the loot

DSC006233.JPG

DSC006264.JPG

DSC006277.JPG

DSC006283.JPG

DSC006302.JPG

DSC006292.JPG

Peace out

coming along nicely. just give her the extra time she's asking for. :Namaste:

heavy pruning (especially of fan leaves) and improper watering techniques can really slow the growth cycle!

coming along nicely. just give her the extra time she's asking for. :Namaste:

heavy pruning (especially of fan leaves) and improper watering techniques can really slow the growth cycle!

Easy chap.

Yeah I'm still thinking 2-3 weeks on her

No pruning at all geezer, what do you mean by improper watering tekkers thou?

I'm watering 450ml every 4-5 days

Easy chap.

Yeah I'm still thinking 2-3 weeks on her

No pruning at all geezer, what do you mean by improper watering tekkers thou?

I'm watering 450ml every 4-5 days

not saying you aren't watering properly, just saying in general those are the two biggest factors of "slowly" maturing plants (besides a sativa influence). I need to learn to water more properly myself.

Haha, cheers for throwing that out there Mono, i'm trying so hard not to prune.

Its seams to me from what I hear from people, that it makes no difference whether you leave it or remove it. People swear by their methods on pruning and all get good results on it.

My thinking was that as I only have a small plant it needs all the photosynthesis it can get,
I've tided up the fan leaves so that the bud sights have light and that there is room for air flow in and around the plant.

To get rid of all the fan leaves or keep em..?

Every thing seams to be ticking over nicely and progressing well, if it and broke don't change it hey?

>>>Its seams to me from what I hear from people, that it makes no difference whether you leave it or remove it. People swear by their methods on pruning and all get good results on it.

I assume that you are talking about pruning your 'leaves' and not your axillary shoots? Well if that's the case you have heard correct by whomever told you to leave them be. I have learned that a leaf is the main source of stored energy for a plant, and removing them are just like taking a box of cookies out of your pantry :laughtwo: (silly metaphor I know).

Even when a part of the leaf starts to turn yellow, if the the ailment is treated before the whole leaf dies off, the leaf can still undergo photosynthesis as long as some green chlorophyll remain. I leave my deficient leaves on my plant until today, which is the last day of my flush. I removed most of my large fan leaves and put my plant under a 24 hour period of darkness. This, in my logic says, "the plant will has been feeding off the leaves due to the lack of nutrients in the water for the past couple days of flush," so if I were to remove that only food source (the leaves) for 24 hours, I can achieve a nice light green hue to the sugar leaves, thus a better taste.

Sorry for ranting about my stuff here...going back to your situation, I would see why it would be tempting to remove fan leaves (increase circulation), but even the leaves not exposed under direct light are helping your plant!

Nice ladies there BTW, that sativa is going to do wonders to your cerebral cortex :)

agreed. flowers are sinks, fan leaves are stores. the more stores the better. if the plant is nitrogen deficient it'll pull some nitrates from the fan leaves, usually ones that aren't get much light. if you feed the plant you may notice the yellowing leaf starting to turn green again, or not. it's really up to the plant if it wants to keep a leaf or not. sometimes even when the plant is full of nutrients it'll still sacrifice some lower foliage. don't overfeed to compensate for this, just watch the young growth at the top of the plant.

From my perspective, the only added benefit that I can see from defoliating is to increase air flow from the bottom up which aids to keep CO2 nearer the canopy, but also to keep heated air moving upwards with hopes that it will be sucked off.

Aside from that, it is being taught to me and I can clearly see that what I had interpreted as "good air flow" consisted of a lot of air moving directly through the plant with little interruption or turbulence created. This did little more than dry out her leaves near the end of veg/beginning of flower and almost brought her into an all out K-Potasium deficiency. I have since left all leaves on and as depicted above by AG, she treats her own ailments that are caused by me (the grower). It's usually hard for me to see under 2,100k HPS, but I was able to sneak in just before lights on with the 2-6,500k closet CFLs to get a few snaps and viola, a nice even green color. Her colas are forming out so nicely. Had I kept on with defoliating her nutrient caches, I really believe the colas I'm now seeing would be half the size or less and she possibly would've hermied on me.

Just my 2 pennies

Back
Top Bottom