Which seeds float? Male or female?

yeah they do sell clones but last time i heard they were giving bad clones in the third floor oakland. but yeah i also have a cannabis card and i also can buy clones but i choose not to.

Seeds have a coating that keeps them from sprouting. The coating is water soluable so when the rains come the coating is washed off and the sead sprouts. That is why soaking helps.

As for floating and sinking, the thicker the shell the heavier. So heavy seeds are less likely to sprout. However soaking the seeds greatly increases those odd to almost as good as a floating seed.

As far as I know, you cannot tell male from female seeds. I choose to buy feminized seeds. I haven't had a male yet, and I have bought lots of seeds over the years.

I also bread my own auto feminized strain that I call Critical Blue. I actually let my seeds fully mature, so they are tan or brown with darker brown markings. These seeds have a much higher rate of growing great than autos I bought from seedbanks, because they take the seeds too early.

yeah thanks man its just years of knowlage and being at school board as fuck looking at the internet and reading grow books i never stop researching weed actually its the only thing i really know who to do good. but yeah thanks man
I appreciate the info. I’m kinda new to this. About 10 years ago when you could still buy a bag of weed and have seeds come with it. I threw some seeds in a 5 gallon paint bucket I filled with dirt that was in my mom and dads back yard and never thought about it again. It was spring time. About 4 months later my dad called me and told me he picked the buds off my plant I had growing and him and my mom smoked them lol. I was lucky to have parents that had me at a young age and my dad was a biker. My mom and dad said it was a pretty plant. The weed was ok being that back then mids was just shitty weed that smelled good and gave you a good buzz for a few. The dirt I used was from the backyard. Like I said i just did it to see if it would work. Now I actually ordered some seeds from a bank so I’m excited to get them. While I’m waiting on them though I just bought me a ounce of some lavender kush to smoke. Last night I was breaking up a little bud to smoke in my bong and heard something hit the floor and it was a seed. 1 seed fell out so of course I looked it up and reading these comments really are helpful. Lavender kush taste and smells so good. It get you higher than the sky. The seeds I’m waiting on white widow autoflowering seeds. Thought they would be best to start with since you can’t fuck them up and they sent 5 free crystal XXL bud autoflowering seeds also. Excited to see what I get.

Hi Missymay,

Welcome to 420! The site recently added a similar threads feature, one of the by products is grave digging old posts. Smokey’s post was from 2005, but no worries at all.

I did want to comment on the can’t hose up an auto part. Yes, autos will flower without flipping lights to 12/12, but you can easily stunt or stall an auto and when that happens yields will suck. Case in point I recently ran an Northern Lights auto, grew her for 10 weeks, yield was 1.5 grams... no shit. That was a waste of space, time and effort. The normal stuff like topping yes it can be done - but it can send her into a tailspin. It’s much easier for new growers to learn on photoperiods they will bounce back from mistake after mistake and keep on growing, but some folks have a knack for autos.... time will tell - am I right?

Maybe split your next seed order half autos / half photos to be safe. It would be good to start a grow journal when you begin germination, heres a link >>> How to make grow journal <<< people can jump in and watch or help as needed. Be sure to put all of your unique grow setup details in the first paragraph. See my journal Visualize Whirrled Peas below for ideas... anytime you add a new post you have 7 hours in which to edit or change that post, after that the ink is dry... so to speak.

all right - see you out there!

Holy smokes is this post full of bro science!?!?

If it doesn't sink it's bad?
Hardly any of mine sink. If this were true I wouldn't have any plants.

How many folks threw out perfectly good seeds because of this post? Shameful.

How many folks threw out perfectly good seeds becau of this post? Shameful
I’m with VG...
Mine rarely sink... never heard of such craziness after reading this post. Lol!

You can sex a plant 4-6 weeks depending on the plant, just look for her pistils (white hairs) or buy Fem seeds/clones.
89B28226-9330-4339-A580-105FA5324D4B.jpeg

I’m with VG...
Mine rarely sink... never heard of such craziness after reading this post. Lol!

You can sex a plant 4-6 weeks depending on the plant, just look for her pistils (white hairs) or buy Fem seeds/clones.
89B28226-9330-4339-A580-105FA5324D4B.jpeg
It's as ridiculous as me saying that only stripped seeds are mature enough to sprout.
I've had plenty of plain gray or tan ones pop with no issue.

Just zero basis in reality. A lot of these old posts are. Guess we've made some headway? Kind wish we could add a disclaimer to some of them.

How many folks threw out perfectly good seeds because of this post? Shameful.

I always try anyway, but the very few of mine that floated never popped. But that depends on if you soaking them or not as some times it takes hours before they will sink or you help them by pushing it down in water (and I soak for 24 hours and then into my soil).

I always try anyway, but the very few of mine that floated never popped. But that depends on if you soaking them or not as some times it takes hours before they will sink or you help them by pushing it down in water (and I soak for 24 hours and then into my soil).
I at least wait for a 1/2” tap (floating). Used to do the paper towel thing, but going into seedling soil in a small cup seems to be having better results.
If they drop, they go straight to the paper towel, 1” tap later, into seedling soil.

Some of the people are using tap water to sprout these seeds. Depending on the tap it can have a lot of extra dissolved carbon dioxide which will make it difficult for a seed to sink in the first place and sometimes not at all. If they add H202 it more than likely won't sink.
Seed density will also factor in. That is usually related to how thick the actual seed coat is or how much resin the coat has accumulated during ripening.

Too many variables. I had an ATF seed float for 50+ hours before it cracked. It never sank even after my tap had off-gassed.

I have had a few bad seeds and only one floated. Two sank and like I said, mine hardly ever sink.

I usually use the water out of the water cooler (park here has own water system so water sketchy at times, and very much on the hard side as stains the toilets and hard on water heaters), so it's basically RO water as it's filtered and all that all that stuff.

But like I said I plant all of them even the ones that don't look mature enough, have had ones that sank not pop before also, but so far of the like 5 seeds that never did sink in 4 years of this I never had one of those pop (so not even good enough numbers for "bro science" yet let alone real science ;) :rofl: :rofl: )

Post in thread 'Five Bits Of Indica: New420guy’s Seeds'
Five Bits Of Indica: New420guy’s Seeds

This was with my @New420Guy Seeds purchase. The H2O2 obviously did something weird, so for round two, just distilled water was used. (Scroll down)
Don't think that was the H202. H202 breaks down with the introduction of light. By the time yours sprouted it had already broken down into it's separate components of H20 and 02. It usually happens in about 24 hrs.
@InTheShed had some seeds sprout in the cups and he doesn't use H202 iirc.

I use lots ( 1:1 with H20) of H202 every time I sprout my seeds and I have never had one sprout in a cup like that before.

Don't think that was the H202. H202 breaks down with the introduction of light. By the time yours sprouted it had already broken down into it's separate components of H20 and 02. It usually happens in about 24 hrs.
@InTheShed had some seeds sprout in the cups and he doesn't use H202 iirc.

I use lots ( 1:1 with H20) of H202 every time I sprout my seeds and I have never had one sprout in a cup like that before.
Pecker didn’t have issues either with his... Same seeds too. They were in a darkroom, but hear why you’re saying. The next batch did fine. I ended up having a tomato seed in my soil somehow with one of them, and it ended up growing this massive tomato plant... (Shed’s idea) lol.

Pecker didn’t have issues either with his... Same seeds too. They were in a darkroom, but hear why you’re saying. The next batch did fine. I ended up having a tomato seed in my soil somehow with one of them, and it ended up growing this massive tomato plant... (Shed’s idea) lol.
If you posted that tomato pic on Shed's journal I think I was one of the people that guessed that it was a tomato.
My memory is foggy but it had a slight spark when you mentioned it.

If you posted that tomato pic on Shed's journal I think I was one of the people that guessed that it was a tomato.
My memory is foggy but it had a slight spark when you mentioned it.
Yep... that was me.
B9B6DB1B-512C-4508-9E1C-C910F2287589.jpeg

Ended up just giving to the neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom