Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant SOG

Well...here goes nothing 420 Magazine! This is going to be my first journal, and I'm going to be completely out of my element, and might need some guidance along the way! While I'm nervous about a few things, getting assistance from my brothers and sisters here is not one of them! :)

I'd like to start off by offering a huge :thanks: to 420 Magazine, and all the great members here that have made me feel like part of the family right from the beginning. It's because of you I'm where I am now...so :thanks: again!

I'll be including a lot of details along the way, mostly for me, but also for the benefit of any new growers that happen to stop by. I would also encourage anyone to jump in and ask questions if there's something that needs more explanation. The best part of a journal is the interaction...so don't be shy!

Here's the rundown:

The strain I'll be growing is Nirvana's Ice. The mothers were from a feminized seed. It's a 50/50 Sativa/Indica hybrid that a strain guide lists as a Skunk/White family cross. It also list the flowering time as 63-70 days, but I only use those numbers as a guide. Here's what else it said about it.

Two types of grass gained popularity among Dutch growers in the mid-1990s. The red skunk strains gave high yields of middling quality weed, while the resinous white strains satisfied any ganja gourmet with flavor and quality of buzz, but gave only modest yields. After an intense selection process, Nirvana hybridized for the best qualities of these two established strains with Ice.

A new generation power plant, Ice weds kind bud with kind yields. Ice has few branches, minimal foliage, and many floral clusters: a plus when manicuring. Virtually all of the branches Ice extends will be heavily budded. A rapid grower, this plant can be put directly into flower after roots are established. She will double in height and start forming flowers in the first 2 weeks of the 12-hour regimen. No ice maiden, this strain is happiest with lots of fresh, warm, humid air circulating around her. Hydroponic methods will give the most effective results with the best resin production. A sea of green set-up is appropriate.

Ice practically fumes with nearly fuel-like scent of raw THC. Flavored like Nepali black hash, toking Ice is likely to induce coughing. Plan on putting your brain on ice because this variety's heavy stone may leave you in lazy daze for hours.

Winner, High Times Cannabis Cup 1998.

Here's what the breeder says:

Through an intensive process of selection among thousands of marijuana plants, Nirvana seeds managed to create Ice, a perfect union of quantity and quality. With its ancestry of Afghan, Shiva, Northern Light and a very special Skunk, Ice is a truly spectacular cannabis hybrid. Its dense marijuana flowers are richly covered in trichomes and the buds that form along the main branches have a high marijuana flower-to-leaf ratio. Ice seeds will flourish in both hydro and soil environments. With its heavy stone effect and almost fuel-like aroma, it's no wonder Nirvana Ice won the 1998 Cannabis Cup hands down.

This is a new strain for me. While I have grown the mothers, I've yet to flower one out , so I guess we'll have to wait and see. So far this pheno seems to exhibit mostly Indica traits. The mothers are compact with broad leaves...also seems to be a fairly heavy feeder, and very hardy.

To go along with the new strain, I'll be trying a new growing style as well. This run will be my first SOG... I got my inspiration to try a Sea of Green from folks like 420fied, Twelve12, Mr. Krip, and many others along the way. In the past I've grown much smaller numbers of much larger plants, some as large as 5 ft tall, so this will be a learning experience. :) I'll be growing 49 plants in a 4'x4' tray under 1000 watt HID lighting, in a Magnum XXXL hood, powered by a Lumatek digital ballast. I'm using a MH bulb now, but will switch over to HPS for flowering.

The ballast is dimmable. There's a dial to choose 600W, 750W, 1000W, and Super Lumens which is supposed to be 1100W...all settings work on a 1000 watt bulb. It's also a true multi-watt ballast, in that you can screw in a 600 watt bulb and use it on the 600 Watt setting.

The girls will be in .8 gallon (3 liter) Superoots Air-Pots. I have been using these exclusively for everything other than my moms for about a year, and love them. If you grow in soil and haven't tried Air-Pots, I think you'll be impressed. Here's a couple videos I think are worth watching.
Air-Pots-Overview - YouTube
How to use Air-Pot Containers - YouTube
I've also used the .3 gallon (1 liter) Air-Cells, and the 3.4 gallon (12.5 liter) Air-Pots, but for a SOG I think these will be ideal.

This brings me to the growing medium! I've been growing in soil from the start. I've played around with Hempy a bit, but there's something about growing in soil that I really love! :love:

When I started looking at soils, there was a couple things I took into consideration. First, being on the East coast, many quality soils and composts that folks are using on the West coast just aren't available here. Some of the larger names like Fox Farm and Roots are, but it's been my experience that most items marketed for cannabis are overpriced and over hyped. I've also heard that the Fox Farm soils here are a different formulation than what's sold out West. I have used FFOF and still use Light Warrior for starting my clones, but I began looking for something new.

When I looked locally, it didn't take long to discover that the absolute best organic products available here are from a company called Coast of Maine. All of their soils contain compost and are actual living soils right out of the bag. They have many different products geared towards many different types of plants, but Ill be using their Bar Harbor Blend...heres another short video.
Bar Harbor - YouTube
I've used various nutes along the way, including one of my favorites, Osmocote Plus. While OC+ grows excellent cannabis, I have been itching to switch over to organics for quite a while...which brings me to high brix! Stay tuned...on my next post I'll pick up right here!

Re: Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic, High Brix, Nirvana Ice, 49 Plant

Ahhh Vapordogg: I'll be watching this grow; it sounds interesting. Also glad to hear another thumbs up about OC+ and I'll head out tomorrow for it; I also find products marketed specifically for MJ are way over-priced after reading the simple ingredients contained therein. I've been nuting with Jacks Classics a Peter's product 4 years success with it but am about to run out. :high-five:

Re: Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic, High Brix, Nirvana Ice, 49 Plant

Subbed

I'm curious to see how well the organics and high brix will work in the smaller container.

Ahhh Vapordogg: I'll be watching this grow; it sounds interesting. Also glad to hear another thumbs up about OC+ and I'll head out tomorrow for it; I also find products marketed specifically for MJ are way over-priced after reading the simple ingredients contained therein. I've been nuting with Jacks Classics a Peter's product 4 years success with it but am about to run out. :high-five:

Thanks for stopping by! You're the first person following my first journal! How cool is that! :high-five:

OC+ is great stuff... have you been over to the OC+ thread? Osmocote Plus Plant Food - Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here! I just re-posted some pics from my first grow with it a day or two ago. :thumb:
Subbed

I'm curious to see how well the organics and high brix will work in the smaller container.

Me too! The soil I'm using holds more moisture than many others and I'm planning on using teas weekly...so we'll see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Subscribed!

I'm glad you found me OGTHC! Hopefully I'll be able to put on a good show!

Damn nice start to a journal!!
Was at my hydro store today and we were talking about "high brix" as a matter of fact. I'm not a soil/soiless grower but I'm still very interested in high brix none the less.

:thanks: bro! The guys at my local shop didn't know a whole lot about it...but they seemed interested when I started talking about it!

Okay... I'm back. So I just started to talk about high brix... DocBud, one of the many great growers here at 420 Magazine, is the one who got me interested in high brix gardening. He’s been using the techniques on his current grow, and so far his plants look amazing!

I was gearing up to make the switch to organics…trying to learn everything I could about the soil food web, compost teas, etc. when DocBud started talking about high brix techniques in his last journal. I kept insisting I was going to start with organics, and look into high brix later, once I got organics down. But then, as I was reading everything I could find on the subject I came to understand that high brix gardening is just organics, taken to the next level.

Brix is just a unit of measure. One degree Brix is 1 gram of sucrose in 100 grams of solution. Traditionally brix was used in wine, sugar, fruit juice, etc. industries. At some point, it started getting used in the food industry for measuring the approximate amount of sugars in fruits and vegetables as well. Brix is measured with a refractometer. Once you know what brix your veggies are, there's charts you use to see how well you did. Here's one.

brix_chart.jpg

The paragraph in the chart pretty much says why we would want to grow high brix food.

Within a given species of plant, the crop with the higher refractive index will have a higher sugar content, higher mineral content, higher protein content and a greater specific gravity or density. This adds up to a sweeter tasting, more minerally nutritious food with lower nitrate and water content, lower freezing point, and better storage attributes.

I'm sure you noticed cannabis isn’t listed, but I think DocBud already came up with a number he's shooting for, I just can't remember it at the moment. :grinjoint:

The way you get a higher brix (in soil anyway) is by almost ignoring the plant! High brix gardening is all about building a thriving microherd of benneficial bacteria and organisms that breakdown the minerals in the soil and in turn, feed the plant. Compost teas are important here to keep the soil teeming with life! I’ll also be using the teas as a foliar spray. Basically, we feed the organisms in the soil,and they feed the plant.

Standard organics uses the same principals, but where organics can fall short is if you don’t have enough minerals in the proper ratios in the soil. One of the main principals of high brix gardening is that you must remineralize the soil. Most farmland is badly depleted of trace minerals that the micro organisms break down and make available to the plant. Ever noticed how most of the vegetable in the grocery store taste like crap? I'm betting that's one of the big reasons.

Outdoors in your garden, It can get more complicated, with soil tests being necessary to know what minerals to add, in way amounts. But if you’re starting out with a quality potting soil it can be easily mineralized by adding the proper ratios of rock powders when preparing the soil.

Again, This all got started with DocBud. He’s the one that started doing the research, and got me interested...and he’s the one that’s been using the techniques and working out the kinks. So if you’re reading this bro, you deserve another :thanks: for all your hard work. :thumb:

There are kits you can buy that contain all the proper minerals in the proper ratios, or you can piece it together yourself, which is what I'm doing. There’s just a few simple things you need:

Limestone - NOT dolomite. You'll need Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3), at least 90% - just a note here…if you’re on the East coast there are no high calcium limestone deposits in this part of the country, so start shopping online. :)

Soft Rock Phosphate - Be careful...NOT any of the “super phosphate” additives…they will kill everything in your soil.

Gypsum - Just plain old garden gypsum.

Azomite - there really isn’t anything quite like Azomite. Its a natural, mined product from Utah, that contains over 70 minerals and trace elements.

The limestone, soft rock phosphate and gypsum are combined in the following ratios:

6 Parts Limestone
5 Parts SRP
3 Parts Gypsum

I use 1 cubic foot bags of soil, so to get the proper amount as recommended by DocBud, I added 2/3 cup of the 6/5/3 powders, and 1/3 cup Azomite to each bag of soil.

I also needed some organic matter for the micro organisms, so I also added 1 cup of Coast of Maine’s Eggemoggin Blend, which is a pasteurized hen manure (4-2-2 fertilizer) to each bag as well. Coast of Maine recommends 2 cups per bag, but I’d rather go light…it’s always easier to add later.

When I do need to fertilize, I’ll use Neptune’s Harvest Hydrolyzed Fish Fertilizer along with their Seaweed Fertilizer. They sell them already combined, but I use the seaweed fertilizer alone for my teas, so I buy them separate.

If you really want to learn about high brix gardening, I would encourage you to google it and start reading! I tried to give a quick overview, but in doing so you always take the risk of over simplifying...I was reading for days before I decided to give it a go, so please do your own research if you're thinking about giving it a try.

I almost forgot! All this talk about brix levels and I don't even know if high brix will equal amazingly dank buds or not! I guess finding out is all part of the fun!

Well, its about 5:30 AM here, and I do need to get some sleep, so I'll pick this up tomorrow! :thumb:

:popcorn: subbed.

This must be a dream. Vapedogg is running a grow journal? Looking forward to the adventure. The 1K + Magnum XXXL will produce some amazing frosty colas can't wait to see that!

im in for this bro.. I'm using the same air pots as you, both sizes, and love them.. I'm about 3 weeks into bloom on my first run with them, vertical SOG.. They grow the plants quite nicely, I've noticed much more growth when compared to standard 1gal nursery pots. The plants are easily a few inches bigger and stay greener longer.. Plants that are in plain roots 707 get fed BPN organic once a week and I feed with EWC/compost tea once a week for the plants in the amended dirt and they're doing great.

I recycle my dirt too. So far so good, keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the cycle however.

Not sure if I saw it mentioned in your overview, but anytime you're mixing amendments into the soil, it's good to give it at least 2 weeks to begin to break down everything in there.. I water with EWC tea when I initially amend and store my soil. One watering is all it needs to get the microbes working on the rocks.

You're doing a 49 plant run? Do you currently have enough air pots? If not, let me know and I will share my source with you.. It was by far the cheapest I found and they give bulk discounts.. I ended up with 20 1gal and 10 3.4gal air pots for $160 shipped. A bit steep, but well worth it.. That is if you can be patient watering them. I'm running all 20 1 gal pots right now, top water them every 2 days, and then do a full dunk in my tea solution once a week.. Keeps them quite happy. Dunking is a great method especially with a 5 gal bucket, you get full rootzone coverage and little to no wasted tea

So I think that’s most of the setup…If I missed anything don’t be afraid to ask!

Some of you may know I keep bonsai moms. I do think I owe a bit of an explanation though. When I first started looking into growing one of my biggest problems/concerns was obtaining seeds, I just don’t like to do it. Now this was before I even joined 420 Magazine…I had started doing some research, and I came across a post on another site about keeping bonsai mothers. Much later, I discover a 420 Magazine member moved the thread over here for our benefit. I would have never found it here because for some reason it’s in the hydroponic forum under deep water culture…I’m sure it could be moved to a more appropriate forum if anyone asked. It might have been Mr. Krip that posted the link to it in his journal, I just can’t remember. Anyway, it’s actually two threads combined. The first is on the moms, the second is on his cloning methods. Here’s the link: Bonsai Mothers

When I first found this, it was like an awakening for me! :yahoo: What, I can easily keep a very small mother that is capable of providing 10, 20, or more cuttings at a time? And I can keep as many as 24 of these small moms in a 2’x4’ space so that I have a variety of genetics to choose from? It was like the clouds parted…a ray of brilliant light shined down from the heavens, and I was instantly enlightened…I felt like Jake or Elwood Blues. I was now on a mission from God…and I was going to grow!
:party:

Now I’m the kind of person that always likes to try and improve on something. That’s not always a good thing when someone has already done all the legwork and come up with a tried and true method for something. I was constantly rooting cuttings early on…even when I didn’t need them, just for practice. I played around with a couple homemade aero cloners, which worked, but seemed like I was making things harder than they needed to be, and with my ultimate goal being a SOG, I was going to need large numbers of cutting at one time, so I decided to go back to using soil for my cuttings.

My goal was to closely imitate the methods described in the above thread. So it begins…

I should also say that I hadn’t been planning this grow until I realized my supply of meds was dangerously low, and I might run out before I could finish another crop so…I had to move quickly when I wasn’t fully prepared. My moms were a little raggedy after dealing with some deficiencies that occurred when I switched over to organics, but they weren't too bad, and I think I was able to pull everything together pretty well considering.

Oh...by the way, I haven't said it yet but I'm a visual learner, so I hope you all like pictures...because I love them! :)

March 3rd - I took the cuttings. Now I normally have close to a 100% success rate cloning, but since I was going to need 49, and have never tried that many at one time, I wanted to leave myself a little leeway, and decided I could fit 60 cuttings in a standard 1020 tray.

The medium I used to root these cuttings was 8 parts FF Light Warrior and 1 part Worm Castings…there’s nothing special about that mix, one day I just grabbed 8 handfuls of FFLW and a handful of EWC and liked the consistency, so I’ve stuck with it ever since. The mix is pre moistened with plain tap water.

There’s two things I’m really anal about when taking cuttings. The first, and I think most important, is cleanliness. All tools, surfaces, containers, etc. that I use in the process is cleaned with bleach or sterilized with alcohol. Second, I always make a second cut under water to prevent an air embolism. Other than that there’s not much to my method. Here's the rundown.

I start with a clean space and a container of water to make the second cut.
CIMG3039.jpg

CIMG3041.jpg

I pick a branch, and make a cut with a sharp pair of scissors.
CIMG3046.jpg

Then immediately make a second cut a little further up from the first, under water, and then float the cutting in the container...
CIMG3048.jpg

After the container is full, I make a hole in the medium, trim up the cutting and dip into a rooting powder...again nothing special, just a bottle of $5-6 rooting hormone from Home dePot, and stick it in the medium...then just repeat until done.
CIMG3050.jpg

CIMG3056.jpg

Here's the tray after I was done with the 60 new cuttings.
CIMG3060.jpg

Then, I just stuck the tray over by my heater, misted the cuttings vary well and put on a humidity dome. Then I wait!
CIMG3063.jpg

I take the humidity dome off a couple times a day for some fresh air, and mist them each time I do so. The bonsai mom thread says he waits 10 days for them to root. I was nervous and decided to go 14 just to be safe.

In the meantime I was having some temperature issues in my room, and had to turn off the heater, so I picked up a propagation heating mat, and stuck that under the tray. I like it a lot, and wish I had gotten one sooner!

Here they are after 14 days...
CIMG3162.jpg

For the next step I broke them apart, brushed away the soil until I had a rootball, and then trimmed back any roots that went beyond the dimensions of a cell. This is supposed to slow down the ones that got off to a fast start and help to keep the plants roughly the same size. Also, as I’m sure you know, root pruning encourages new lateral root growth, so this step should also help them all take off running once the get their feet under them! That’s the theory anyway.

After seeing the root development, I think 10 days would have been plenty of time. Heres what they looked like.
CIMG3181.jpg

After a trim...
CIMG3185.jpg

And into the plug tray.
CIMG3189.jpg

I used a different medium for the plug tray:

1 Part Fox Farm Light Warrior
1 Part Worm Castings
1 Part Lobster Compost

The EWC and lobster compost were both Coast of Maine as well.

Since I only needed a small amount, I used a quart container to measure the portions so we’re only talking 3/4 of a gallon, maybe a little more because I had them rounded over when I was measuring. To that I added 1 1/2 tbs each Azomite, and 6/5/3 minerals. Again, there's nothing special about this mix either, it’s just stuff I had on hand.

At this point the bonsai mom thread says he leaves them another 5 or 6 more days to root through...so now we wait some more.

Oh, I almost forgot…only 1 out of the 60 didn’t root… It looked like it had root bumps though! So I’m going to be able to keep my “Close to 100%” claim when it comes to cloning! :)

To be continued...

This must be a dream. Vapedogg is running a grow journal? Looking forward to the adventure. The 1K + Magnum XXXL will produce some amazing frosty colas can't wait to see that!

Hey brother! Thanks for stopping by! I know...I can hardly believe it myself! :rofl: I had wanted to wait until I was in my new grow room...but there's just been delay after delay... It will get done at some point, but I figured now was as good a time as any to start one.

My fingers are crossed for those sticky colas! :) I am going to be looking for some feedback on when to flower them to make the best use of my space. I expect they will grow slower than hempy, even in the Air-Pots, so I think I'll need them to be a little larger than clones in a hempy SOG when I make the switch, but just how big is what I'm unsure of.

:Namaste:

im in for this bro.. I'm using the same air pots as you, both sizes, and love them.. I'm about 3 weeks into bloom on my first run with them, vertical SOG.. They grow the plants quite nicely, I've noticed much more growth when compared to standard 1gal nursery pots. The plants are easily a few inches bigger and stay greener longer.. Plants that are in plain roots 707 get fed BPN organic once a week and I feed with EWC/compost tea once a week for the plants in the amended dirt and they're doing great.

I recycle my dirt too. So far so good, keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the cycle however.

Not sure if I saw it mentioned in your overview, but anytime you're mixing amendments into the soil, it's good to give it at least 2 weeks to begin to break down everything in there.. I water with EWC tea when I initially amend and store my soil. One watering is all it needs to get the microbes working on the rocks.

You're doing a 49 plant run? Do you currently have enough air pots? If not, let me know and I will share my source with you.. It was by far the cheapest I found and they give bulk discounts.. I ended up with 20 1gal and 10 3.4gal air pots for $160 shipped. A bit steep, but well worth it.. That is if you can be patient watering them. I'm running all 20 1 gal pots right now, top water them every 2 days, and then do a full dunk in my tea solution once a week.. Keeps them quite happy. Dunking is a great method especially with a 5 gal bucket, you get full rootzone coverage and little to no wasted tea

Thanks for stopping in bro! I like the sound of vertical SOG! Are you running a journal?

Definitely! Side by side, plants in Air-Pots definitely grow bigger, faster. I haven't decided if I'm going to recycle the soil or not, I grow vegetables outdoors, so I may just use it in the garden.

You're absolutely right with letting the soil cook, and I should have mentioned that! I used to let it cook for 4-6 weeks with my old soil mix, but I did get about 2 weeks on this run. Like I had said in my update, I wasn't really prepared and had to get things together quickly. :thanks: for adding that!

I'm all set with the pots, but thanks for that! That's a good price, I'd have to find my receipt to see what I paid, but it was definitely more because I bought them locally. There's a new hydro shop I started going to after the one I used to use went out of business. The guys that run it seem really cool, and were very willing to order anything I need. It costs me much more, but I buy things locally whenever possible and always pay cash. Like Cervantes says, cash tells no tales, and leaves no trails. They do offer a 10% discount for preferred customers...just spend over $1000 once and then every other purchase for life gets the discount, but I think it's still more than ordering online for most things.

I've regularly dunked my Air-Pots in the past, and think it works well for the smaller ones like I'm using. I also really like the idea of dunking with teas and may do so on this grow...but to be honest, with 49 plants I'll probably do whatever ends up being easier, or maybe dunk them early on, and switch back once they get larger...I guess I'll play that by ear!

Hey Vapedog nice start to the journal, very detailed.My local store sells air pots and I've always wanted to see how good they were. I'm subbed for this one.

:thanks: brother! I understand they are much more popular in the UK... I guess that makes sense since they're made there. I'm not sure how popular they are in Ireland, but if your local shop carries them, and you can buy a couple at a time, you should do a side by side comparison to see for yourself. I had half a dozen clones that were taken from the same plant and rooted at the same time and put four in 1 liter nursery pots and the other two in 1 liter Air-Pots. Seeing the difference with the two in the Air-Pots with my own eyes made me a believer!

:thanks: brother! I understand they are much more popular in the UK... I guess that makes sense since they're made there. I'm not sure how popular they are in Ireland, but if your local shop carries them, and you can buy a couple at a time, you should do a side by side comparison to see for yourself. I had half a dozen clones that were taken from the same plant and rooted at the same time and put four in 1 liter nursery pots and the other two in 1 liter Air-Pots. Seeing the difference with the two in the airpots with my own eyes made me a believer!

Ok I think I'm convinced, I'm gonna buy some 12l's for all my plants when I repot for flowering. Just wondering from your experice with them are they messy?

Ok I think I'm convinced, I'm gonna buy some 12l's for all my plants when I repot for flowering. Just wondering from your experice with them are they messy?

Because of how Air-Pots work, you can use a smaller size than you normally would with a conventional container. The 12.5s will grow LARGE plants. I had four plants over 5 feet tall...measuring from the top of the soil, in them. When I harvested the roots looked wonderful... I took some pictures, but I don't think I uploaded them. When I get a chance I will and post them... Anyway, there was plenty of room in those pots, and it's impossible for them to become root bound. I even grew some about 2.5 feet tall in the 1 liter Air-Cells. The only problem you will have is if they get really big you wont be able to keep them watered.

They are a little messy to fill, because you'll want to lift and drop the pots (slightly!) on a table a couple of times while you're filling them to make sure all the cones are filled with soil, but once it's nicely packed in the container it won't really fall out unless you really bang them around, and once the roots start filling in, nothing else will fall out.

Back
Top Bottom