Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant SOG

Re: Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic, High Brix, Nirvana Ice, 49 Plant

Whats good Vape!! man, great journal so far, just got done reading from the start. You put a lot of time into your journal, tons of solid explanation and lots of descriptive photos....great job!!!

Really good to see that you are giving the High Brix a try as well.... I also am doing as much as I can to promote the High brix method on my grow.... anyways...wanted to let ya know I gave ya a 5 star rating :)

Re: Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic, High Brix, Nirvana Ice, 49 Plant

I'd love to get this caught up today... I guess I'll just keep going and see what happens. Once I'm current I'll go back and touch on a few other details about my room that I left out.

At this point I should also add that once the plants were in the plug tray I started watering them with 1/2 strength fish/seaweed fertilizer.

So now before I could go any further I needed to relocate my moms. I used to keep them in a small closet, but after adding a few strains I needed more room. I figured since I didn't have anything flowering at the time, why not use the main grow room?

So I had moved them in there, and the moms had been loving life, basking under the MH. But I need that space now for this grow...luckily there's another, larger closet that wasn't being used for any good purpose. It also just happens to be large enough to fit a 2'x4' light fixture...so off to the hydro store went.

Mothers can get by just fine with CFL's, and that's what I've always used...but the array I had put together was sized for the smaller closet. You can also get by with shop lights if you really wanted to, but I had my eye on the Sun Blaze 48...it's a T5 HO fixture that holds eight 4' lamps. The price was $269 and included eight 6500ºK lamps. I could do better online...but you know my rules! If I can get it locally I do!

Even though it's technically not being used for this grow, I figured I'd post a few pics in case anyone was interested.:thumb:
CIMG3090.jpg

The fixture has a 12 foot power cord.
CIMG3093.jpg

CIMG3095.jpg

The 8 lamp unit has two power switches so you can run just the center four lamps, just the outside four lamps, or all eight.
CIMG3110.jpg

CIMG3097.jpg

CIMG3102.jpg

CIMG3102_2.jpg

The cable hangers can be moved to the ends to hang the fixture vertically if you so choose.
CIMG3104.jpg

CIMG3105.jpg

CIMG3106.jpg

Theres also an outlet on the fixture to daisy-chain two together...a feature I plan to use when My new grow rooms are complete!
CIMG3108.jpg

CIMG3113.jpg

I'm very happy so far with this fixture, and I think the price was right...

More to follow!

Okay! Back to this grow.

At this point I had a slight hold-up...there was a mix-up with the distributor, so it took longer than it was supposed to, to get the Air-Pots in...an extra week to be exact. But eventually they arrived! They came flat packed in cases of twenty-five and have to be assembled. Here's what they look like.
CIMG3136.jpg

CIMG3140.jpg

CIMG3142.jpg

CIMG3148.jpg

CIMG3149.jpg

CIMG3153.jpg

Despite my best efforts, It became obvious I wasn't going to have everything ready in the 5-6 days the clones were supposed take to root through...but I'm sure they'll be fine until I'm ready. I stopped sweating the small stuff a long time ago. :)

Now I had just one more project I wanted to complete before this grow can get started. My grow tray had just sitting on concrete blocks, but I really wanted it on wheels. :thumb:

The room I'm using now has plenty of space, but my new room will be much smaller, so being able to spin the grow tray around would allow me easy access to all of the plants, even in a confined area.

I started looking online, and didn't find anything that that I liked, so I decided to go DIY here.

I found a company that makes PVC caster inserts for 1 1/4" pipe, FORMUFIT PVC Fittings and Connectors, and promptly bought some along with some casters, and went out and bought some pipe and fittings.
CIMG3196.jpg

This is what I ended up with...
CIMG3206.jpg

CIMG3215.jpg

And here it is with the Air-Pots.
CIMG3221.jpg

So now I thought I was back on track! Here's the containers with soil, and my clones, all ready to go...almost.
CIMG3236.jpg

CIMG3240.jpg

It turns out, forty gallons of soil is pretty heavy (who knew? :rofl:), and with the legs of my DIY stand being on wheels there was a little too much flex, so I decided some more support was needed...and back to the store I went! Six more Ts and almost 12' feet of pipe later this is what it ended up looking like. No flex now! :high-five:
CIMG3243.jpg

So now we're up to March 26th - almost current! And I'm finally ready to get the clones in the containers. The clones ended up being in the plug tray for almost 10 days instead of the recommended 5-6, for a total of 8 days longer than the process described in the bonsai mom thread. As I pulled them out of the plug tray there were a few that I discarded because I wasn't happy with the root development or maybe the plant looked a little small.

As a whole, the root development was very consistent, so I think I'm buying what the bonsai mom thread was saying about the root pruning...they all looked pretty much like this one.
CIMG3246.jpg

A couple hours later and I was done!
CIMG3253.jpg

CIMG3260.jpg

CIMG3259.jpg

They were watered in with EWC tea, and left to get a good night's sleep!

Okay...now I need a little breather...but I'll be back soon!

Damn I never new about root pruning and am very thankful for you explaining that Vapordogg :nicethread:

:thanks:

love that tray man, if I was still growing horizontally, I would do the same thing, that's such a clean setup, I'm really impressed with that. I absolutely love custom PVC builds. I plan on starting up a journal once I get my second circuit wired up and can run my extra ballast. I have a 3 sided (half hexagon) 3 level structure that holds my 1 gal air pots at a slight angle, and wraps around the light. You will see it once I get the journal up.

Mine only holds around 18 of the 1 gal pots, and with that full of dirt and plants was beginning to flex.. I glued every joint with PVC cement and it's amazing how much stronger it made the structure. If you find any problems with flexing, or pipes randomly coming out, don't hesitate to glue them, it will make a massive difference.

Love everything you've done, keep it up man!

Whats good Vape!! man, great journal so far, just got done reading from the start. You put a lot of time into your journal, tons of solid explanation and lots of descriptive photos....great job!!!

Really good to see that you are giving the High Brix a try as well.... I also am doing as much as I can to promote the High brix method on my grow.... anyways...wanted to let ya know I gave ya a 5 star rating :)

:thanks: brother! All the kind words about my journal so far have me grinning ear to ear! :blushsmile: I'll do my best to keep it heading in the right direction. :thumb:

I knew you were doing a high Brix grow, and I kept trying to get over and check it out, but I was just so busy with everything, I could never get caught up. I subscribed though to make sure I wouldn't forget! Now that I have some time, there's a few journals I'm way behind on that I'll be sitting down and reading through...yours is on the top of my list! :thumb:

And :thanks: for the rating!

:Namaste:

Well Vampe, all this soil shit is over my head, been a hydro man for close to 15yrs now..
So hope ya don't mind me hanging in the background and learning from your journal..

:bravo: so far!!!

:thanks: for sharing your knowledge with us bro!!

:peace:

That's funny! I feel the same way at times in the hydro journals! Even though I probably wouldn't ever switch, I still love learning about all the different techniques.

:thanks: for the kind words my friend, and you're very welcome.

So fresh and so clean clean !
Nice job on the cuttings my man , never thought about it like this .

Count me in bro !

:thanks: very much bro! I'm afraid I can't hold a candle to your grow! :adore:
Thanks for stopping in! :thumb:

Vampe, did you choose all 65K bulbs or you did not have an option to mix??

I was just wondering, because I'm going to get the same lamp (maybe different manufacture), the 4' - 8 bank, and use it for a 4-1/2' x 3' veg area..

So what you think, should I just go with all 65Ks or should I mix the bulbs for vegging???
Because the HydroLux T5 I've been looking at, you have the opinion to mix the bulbs and get more of a complete spectrum range.

That particular model only comes with the 6500° K tubes installed, and says the 3000° K tubes may be purchased separately.

I can't really make an educated recommendation, because to be honest, I've just always vegged with 6500° K bulbs...I like the way the plants grow, and they've always seemed happy, so I never bothered to mess around with mixing color spectrums. I know some folks do half an half, or some other combination of lamps, but I guess I figured if it ain't broke...don't fix it!

If there had an option to mix bulbs I think I would have still gotten what I did...But that's me. For all I know they might grow even better by mixing color spectrums, but ignorance is bliss. :)

Damn I never new about root pruning and am very thankful for you explaining that Vapordogg :nicethread:

:thanks: Vampire! That's what makes this such a great place! We all learn from each other!

The technique is usually reserved for things like bonsai where you are trying to keep plants for long periods of time. The bonsai mom thread I linked to is the only time I've seen it used the way I did...I'm sure others have been, I've just never come across it. The premiss makes perfect sense for a SOG, but would probably be an unnecessary step for other growing methods. :thumb:

love that tray man, if I was still growing horizontally, I would do the same thing, that's such a clean setup, I'm really impressed with that. I absolutely love custom PVC builds. I plan on starting up a journal once I get my second circuit wired up and can run my extra ballast. I have a 3 sided (half hexagon) 3 level structure that holds my 1 gal air pots at a slight angle, and wraps around the light. You will see it once I get the journal up.

Mine only holds around 18 of the 1 gal pots, and with that full of dirt and plants was beginning to flex.. I glued every joint with PVC cement and it's amazing how much stronger it made the structure. If you find any problems with flexing, or pipes randomly coming out, don't hesitate to glue them, it will make a massive difference.

Love everything you've done, keep it up man!

:thanks: brother!

After I saw Mr Smith's vertical machine I started thinking about something similar to hold Air-Pots...sounds very much like what you have! :thumb: I'll be looking forward to checking it out!

My stand is actually all glued up, except for the caster inserts. I use clear PVC cleaner and cement just to keep it neat. Since it's on wheels and will be regularly moved around with a lot of weight on it, I didn't want to take any chances!

You're absolutely right about the strength. Thats one of the cool things about using PVC...when you glue the joints, it's actually more of a chemical weld, where the two pieces become one!

Make sure you let me know when you get your journal up!

Awesome job so far, very entertaining and informative. I'll be following closely

:thumb:

:thanks:...:thumb:

SUBBED looking good bud:thumb:

Very clean setup, VD! The photos series are nice and crisp which will make this journal fun to follow. Can't wait for them to age for the full effect.

:thanks: Waiting is the hard part!

Love the pics Vape and the work is so clean and neat. Nice table you built too very innovative. Can't wait to see all the clones take off in the air pots. Great job.

:thanks: I have a bit of an OCD streak when it comes to keeping things neat and clean. My friends just call me anal though. :)

My fingers are crossed!

I've used cfls with 6500k, 5000k, and 2700k, I've noticed that 6500k is the best overall for veg but throwing a 2700k here and there helps beef up the stem a little. 5000k seemed to be a little stale does the job but noticeably slower then the 6500k. Journal looks great neighbor!!:goodjob::peace:

Thank's brother! That would make sense, and explain why 6500º K works well for me and my moms!

:thanks: for the kind words!

Thank you to everyone for stopping in! I have to try and make a little money today, but I'll try and post some more details later tonight!

Ok I think I'm convinced, I'm gonna buy some 12l's for all my plants when I repot for flowering. Just wondering from your experice with them are they messy?

Because of how Air-Pots work, you can use a smaller size than you normally would with a conventional container. The 12.5s will grow LARGE plants. I had four plants over 5 feet tall...measuring from the top of the soil, in them. When I harvested the roots looked wonderful... I took some pictures, but I don't think I uploaded them. When I get a chance I will and post them...

Here are the pics I promised! This is one of the 5' plants after harvest.
CIMG2052.jpg

CIMG2056.jpg

CIMG2057.jpg

These last two show the bottom of a 1 liter Air-Cell...If memory serves, this plant had been topped at least once, and was somewhere close to 2'. You can even see a couple of OC+ prills in there!
IMG127.jpg

IMG128.jpg

In those last two pictures you can see the roots sticking out quite a bit more on the bottom than they were on the large plant. That's because there were 10 plants in a smaller plastic bin with 4" sides that I was using as a grow tray. Because I had so many pots in a confined space, there there wasn't as much air circulation around the pots, so the roots didn't start to die back until they were further out of the pot. Later on I moved them to a larger grow tray, and they looked more like roots in the first three pics!

Back
Top Bottom