Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant SOG

Re: Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic, High Brix, Nirvana Ice, 49 Plant

Those airpots really look like they form a strong root ball!! amazing!!! definitely hope my smart pots replicate the same type of pruning!!! great job man!

Re: Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic, High Brix, Nirvana Ice, 49 Plant

Clean set-up, Vape. Awesome journal, really informative - Thank you. :high-five:
Keep up the good work! I'm subbed! :thumb:

Limestone - NOT dolomite. You'll need Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3), at least 90% - just a note here...if you're on the East coast there are no high calcium limestone deposits in this part of the country, so start shopping online. :)

Soft Rock Phosphate - Be careful...NOT any of the "super phosphate" additives...they will kill everything in your soil.

Gypsum - Just plain old garden gypsum.

Azomite - there really isn't anything quite like Azomite. Its a natural, mined product from Utah, that contains over 70 minerals and trace elements.

The limestone, soft rock phosphate and gypsum are combined in the following ratios:

6 Parts Limestone
5 Parts SRP
3 Parts Gypsum

I use 1 cubic foot bags of soil, so to get the proper amount as recommended by DocBud, I added 2/3 cup of the 6/5/3 powders, and 1/3 cup Azomite to each bag of soil.

I also needed some organic matter for the micro organisms, so I also added 1 cup of Coast of Maine's Eggemoggin Blend, which is a pasteurized hen manure (4-2-2 fertilizer) to each bag as well. Coast of Maine recommends 2 cups per bag, but I'd rather go light...it's always easier to add later.

Hey there Vape! First off let me say :bravo: :welldone: ! I have read Doc's entire journal and it is amazing to say the least.
I have a couple of questions for you. You say you add 2/3 cup of the 6/5/3 powders, but I don't understand the ratios. I know its not 2/3 cup of each, so can you clarify this some? Thanks :thumb:
I already have azomite - really great stuff and I have just ordered the rest of the powders needed for this soil conversion I am going to make. I use promix as my soil/soiless base. :thanks: and you are doing a great job!

:peace:

:popcorn: I keep learning something new here; Just wanna add, I use egg-shells for calcium along with blackstrapp unsulphered molasses.

Those airpots really look like they form a strong root ball!! amazing!!! definitely hope my smart pots replicate the same type of pruning!!! great job man!

They will! :thumb:
The first root pruning pots I used were Squareroot Aeration Containers. They're a square shaped fabric pot...same material as Smart Pots. They also grew very nice root balls!

They used to always give me balls watering them though. :)

Clean set-up, Vape. Awesome journal, really informative - Thank you. :high-five:
Keep up the good work! I'm subbed! :thumb:

Thanks ! :thumb:

:thumb: Looks great....going to be a great haul :goodjob:

From your lips to God's ears brother IGrowGrass! You're gonna have your own haul soon by the looks of it!

:popcorn: I keep learning something new here; Just wanna add, I use egg-shells for calcium along with blackstrapp unsulphered molasses.

Aw shucks...all this flattery's enough to make a fella blush... :bigblush: :thanks: for the kind words!

Calcium is very important! In high Brix gardening, it's the first mineral that needs to be addressed. I'll be talking more about it!

:Namaste:

Hey there Vape! First off let me say :bravo: :welldone: ! I have read Doc's entire journal and it is amazing to say the least.
I have a couple of questions for you. You say you add 2/3 cup of the 6/5/3 powders, but I don't understand the ratios. I know its not 2/3 cup of each, so can you clarify this some? Thanks :thumb:
I already have azomite - really great stuff and I have just ordered the rest of the powders needed for this soil conversion I am going to make. I use promix as my soil/soiless base. :thanks: and you are doing a great job!

:thanks: brother!

Sure, I think I can clear it up. You've read Doc's Journals, but I'm going to go into a little detail in case someone reading this hasn't, so please bear with me.

Let me just preface by saying again though, that the best way to properly mineralize your soil, is by first having it tested. Then you'll know exactly what needs to be added.

Okay, that being said...DocBud did all the legwork on this, and is the one that came up with these recommendations, and deserves all the credit.

There are specific amounts and ratios of minerals in relation to each other, that we need to have in the soil to grow plants with the highest Brix. I'm still learning myself but I've read the calcium/magesium balance should be 7:1 and the phosphorus/potassium balance should be 2:1, but there may be newer data and updated recommendations, so please don't hold me to these numbers.

Now, I think I'm a pretty smart guy...but numbers and me really don't get along. If you want to see the color drain out of my face, just start talking about statistics...:thedoubletake: My ADD kicks in full bore in times like that, and the subject of mineral ratios is getting dangerously close to my ADD tipping point.

Thankfully, DocBud's been researching this for quite a while, and did most of the thinking for me. :phew:The method below that I used to mineralize the soil, when done with a quality potting soil, is supposed to get you pretty close to where you could get with a soil test.

The first thing I do is powder everything. My CaCO3, and Azomite are already finely ground, but the SRP and gypsum I have are pelletized, so I throw them in a spice grinder. Some folks use a mortar and pestle...screw that! I grow chilies...if I had to grind chill powders with a mortar and pestle I wouldn't grow them any more.

Anyway, once they're all ground I just use any size container to measure the parts. I used a 1/2 cup measuring scoop, and dumped 6 scoops of CaCO3, 5 scoops of SRP, and 3 Scoops of gypsum all into a container, and used my hand to mix them up really well. You'll end up with a gray powder...that's your 6/5/3 powders. Those three ingredients combined in those amounts, provide the minerals needed in the proper ratios to each other, and we have a mineral base that's easy to use or measure for different sized bags of soil.

Doc has been tweaking these amounts based on how his own plants are behaving. His current recommendation was 1 cup of 6/5/3 powders and 1/2 cup Azomite to be added to a 1.5 cubic foot bag of soil...for the 1 cubic foot bags I use, it works out to 2/3 cup of the 6/5/3 powders, and 1/3 cup Azomite.

Does that explain it a little better?

If you're using ProMix the only thought I would add is that high Brix is all about soil biology, and a thriving micro heard. Pro-Mix is a soilless mix and is basically steril, with some select bacteria and/or fungi like mycorrhiza added. I think some of their lines have polymer crystals added for water retention...but I could be mistaken...it will say it on the bail. If you use that, I would add a decent amount of worm castings and some quality compost in there as well...off the top of my head, maybe 8 cups of each.

If you can, prepare the mix, put in in a clean garbage can, and water it down with some EWC tea and fish fertilizer or add some manure to the mix. Then let the soil cook for 2-4 weeks, but even a few days is better than nothing. That will really get things going in there. :thumb:

Vapedogg! First let me say :thanks: that was spot on! :thumb:
I completely understand it now :high-five:

Very nice sog and I can't wait to see how those ICE are going to turn out for you. I expect they will be DANK! High Brix/Organic is the way to go in my mind too! I always build my soil at least a week in advance and longer if I can. The promix I use does not have the polymer crystals in it, but I get your point on if it does.

I will continue to follow your journal along and I will be making the switch in my journal as soon as my little seedlings need to be trans which should be in a couple of weeks. So I have time to build my new soil reciepe and let it cook for a good couple of weeks.

Truly Great and Thanks again!

subbed! The DOCbudTRINE is spreading! Thank you vapedogg love the journaling skills. :goodjob: East coaster in da hause! Im excited to see the results with the smaller pots. I wish I could afford to try this out this season outdoors but looks like Im on a OC+ budget.:peace:

Vapedogg! First let me say :thanks: that was spot on! :thumb:
I completely understand it now :high-five:

Very nice sog and I can't wait to see how those ICE are going to turn out for you. I expect they will be DANK! High Brix/Organic is the way to go in my mind too! I always build my soil at least a week in advance and longer if I can. The promix I use does not have the polymer crystals in it, but I get your point on if it does.

I will continue to follow your journal along and I will be making the switch in my journal as soon as my little seedlings need to be trans which should be in a couple of weeks. So I have time to build my new soil reciepe and let it cook for a good couple of weeks.

Truly Great and Thanks again!

No problem brother! Like I said, if there's any details that anyone wants explained better, please ask! This is my first journal, so I'm going to be a while just getting a feel for everything!

subbed! The DOCbudTRINE is spreading! Thank you vapedogg love the journaling skills. :goodjob: East coaster in da hause! Im excited to see the results with the smaller pots. I wish I could afford to try this out this season outdoors but looks like Im on a OC+ budget.:peace:

:thanks: bro! East Coast representin'! :rofl:

Seriously though...it's not easy living in this part of the country. Cali has all the best genetics, many of the best growers...and is certainly where the cannabis culture is at it's height. Not to leave out WA, OR, NV, CO and others...there's good stuff going on in other places as well! :thumb: But that's pretty much all out west.

I actually lived in northern California, about 45 minutes away from Reno, NV for a few years. I was in a pretty remote location, and didn't much care for it at the time. I have a whole different attitude now, and am seriously considering a move to Alaska. I love being out in nature away from people, and Alaska seems like it would be perfect for me...I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it pans put!

The DOCbudTRINE is spreading!

That was good! Definitely made me laugh! :thumb:

yes, we are behind the times out here. My mom still insist you can overdose by "taking the pot" lol! When my wife finishes her studies we might move out west somewhere. It will be hard to leave here its beautiful and the weather is great for growing outdoors most of the time.

My mom still insist you can overdose by "taking the pot" lol!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I needed that!

Ahahahahahahahah. :popcorn:

Hey nice start to your first journal, can't wait to see what happens. Lots of details and a very clean set up! Your bonsai mothers have some serious lumber going on!:thumb:

cheers bud

Hey nice start to your first journal, can't wait to see what happens. Lots of details and a very clean set up! Your bonsai mothers have some serious lumber going on!:thumb:

cheers bud

Thanks Bro! I can't wait to see what happens either! :rofl: I hoping I have a really good idea of what's going to happen, but you never know, every grow is still an adventure...for me anyway!

:thanks: I try to keep things as clean as possible. I think it eliminates the chance of several pest/disease issues...but as they get bigger and there's more to do, it can be hard to keep up...but I'lll do my best.:thumb:

Since you mentioned my moms, I thought I'd offer a peek.
CIMG33301.jpg

They've all just been cut back, and all the larger ones have been root pruned. They'll look like new plants before long!

I have a lot of fun working with them, and thought about starting a journal on just my bonsai moms...maybe once I get comfortable with this one I'd consider it. :)

what do you feed your mother plants vapedogg?

I agree it all looks so good Vape n subbed. :welldone:

Wow dude, me likey all your moms! I always fret about my moms and end up flowering them or killin em. I think a bonsai mom journal's a great idea!
:peace::Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom