Orange Hill Special & Purple Kush - HPS & LED - Grow

aphrodisia

Hi everyone. First time posting a journal here. Since I only grow for personal use I only grow once a year and am currently in the middle of my grow for this year (at roughly 10 € a gram on the street Im just surprised more people aren't growing their own stash).
I only ever grow in soil, I keep promising myself to try hydro one day but have never gotten round to doing so. I use 10 litre pots and good quality potting soil. I am limited for space so I only use the one grow box for both vegging and flowering (and drying).
I have a sunmaster digital 600w MH/HPS light that dims down to 250w, and a vipar 300w LED (actual draw of 185w or so) which I am using for this grow. I also have another 250w HPS which I mostly use just for germinating and the first few days of vegging. The strains are 2 x Dutch Passions orange hill special and 3 x purple kush. Here they are at day 13 of veg :

day_13_of_veg_A.jpg

After being under the 250w HPS for the first week I then swapped it for the 400w MH.

Day 17 of veg :

day_17_of_veg_A.jpg

Day 20 :

day_20_of_veg_A.jpg

And day 4 of flower:

day_4_flowering.jpg

Day 16 flowering :

day_16_of_flowering.jpg

Day 34 of flower :

day_34_of_flower.jpg

Day 34 of flower :

day_34_of_flower_tops.jpg

I seem to have two different phenos of the OHS. One shows more indica characteristics and the other one is much taller with very long lush leaves which Dutch Passion have said is probably leaning more towards the orange bud side of the strain. Will update as they develop more.

re: Orange Hill Special & Purple Kush - HPS & LED - Grow

I have a young OHS in veg right now. :cheesygrinsmiley:

+subbed!

Very nice. 2 of my favorite strains. Can't wait to see how they finish.

Hi myrtle, thanks for stopping by. I have smoked purple kush before but never the OHS so I haven't got a clue what the high is like, I know its parents are California orange and orange bud though so it should be a nice strong one:thumb:

Mine is 7 weeks old now - just upcanned it into 6 gallons of soil. :cheesygrinsmiley:

No current pics, but I'll have some by next week. I'll be flipping it in about 3 weeks.

Nice to have two phenos to watch before mine gets there!

Mine is 7 weeks old now - just upcanned it into 6 gallons of soil. :cheesygrinsmiley:

No current pics, but I'll have some by next week. I'll be flipping it in about 3 weeks.

Nice to have two phenos to watch before mine gets there!

So you are vegging it for 10 weeks ? Arent you worried about the final height of the plant once you flip to 12/12 ? I only vegged mine for 4 weeks before flipping to 12/12 and the sativa leaning pheno of the OHS is already just over 3 feet in height compared to the othe OHS which is roughly around 2.5 feet . What lights are you using ?
Here are the two phenos :

day_35_flower_tops.jpg

Well, this one got stalled for a couple weeks - I typically veg for 8-9 weeks. But since I usually train them into little 12-14 inch bushes with a dozen or so tops, they don't stretch much, ending up around 30 inches tall.

Here's what it looks like today. :cheesygrinsmiley:

DSCN75331.JPG

DSCN7534.JPG

Well, this one got stalled for a couple weeks - I typically veg for 8-9 weeks. But since I usually train them into little 12-14 inch bushes with a dozen or so tops, they don't stretch much, ending up around 30 inches tall.

Here's what it looks like today. :cheesygrinsmiley:

DSCN75331.JPG

DSCN7534.JPG

Hey! Really nice and bushy and healthy looking plant. I topped both of mine only once and one sort of spread out all bushy and the other just shot up.

Mind you, the longer the veg the bigger the yield so they say.

Quick update. The girls are doing fine so far, beginning to see some purpling taking place on one of the purple kush leaflets. Now on day 38 of flower.

day_37_flower_PK.jpg

day_38_flowering.jpg

day_38_of_flower.jpg

Evening everyone. Not a lot to update at the moment, the girls are doing fine (apart from one more on that in a minute). The purple kushes are going to be big yielders I think, and so is one of the orange hill specials. The other OHS, the tall phenol, I have to say I am rather disappointed in the way its developing so far. Its miles behind the other OHS in bud structure/formation and is very leafy.

day_40_flower_OHS.jpg

In the above pic you can see the contrast between the OHS at the top of the picture and the OHS to the right side of the pic. The OHS to the right consists mostly of leaves and so far I can only make out these tiny stubby pistils growing out of it compared to the dense bud formation of the other OHS. I thought the good folks over at Dutch Passion said they had stabilised this strain over 6 generations ? Oh well, guess I lucked out on that one. Other than that everything is going good so far.

day_40_flower_side_view.jpg

day_40_flower_PK.jpg

day_40_flower_tops.jpg

Now exactly six weeks into flowering, another 2 to 3 weeks to go. I don't see any swelling of the buds yet, still mainly just white hairs so that is still to happen although some of the hairs are starting to brown off. Have given up on the one OHS, I was actually thinking of pulling it to make room for the others but decided to keep it as I might make some oil out of it :thumb: The other OHS is going great as are the purple kushes although I think there might be a problem with one of them. I noticed spotting on the leaf tips and some curling upwards, hope its nothing serious as time is short to harvest.

Side view showing the purple kushes and the dodgy OHS:

day_43_of_flower_side_view.jpg

Overhead group shot :

day_43_flower_tops.jpg

day_43_flower_OHS.jpg

day_43_flower_PK.jpg

Heheh, that dodgy OHS looks like some kind of ornamental cabbage! :laughtwo:

Are you getting an odor off them yet?

Heheh, that dodgy OHS looks like some kind of ornamental cabbage! :laughtwo:

Are you getting an odor off them yet?

Don't I ever. There were stinking the place out even before I switched to 12/12. The smell gets more noticeable though just after watering.
Yes you are right about the dodgy OHS unfortunately. Its nothing but leaves !

P.S. I bought a five pack of the OHS and germinated these two. I really hope none of the remaining beans turns out to be like this one.

:hmmmm:Hi 420 maggers. Have had to raise my lights as the dodgy OHS was beginning to show bleaching and signs of light stress, not that Im particularly bothered what happens to it now but still.
Think I will get myself a proper grow tent/fan/filter combo after this grow as not really happy with the cabinet, and I think I will get one of Saras mars II lights too and go that direction. Man I really wish I could have a perpetual grow going, nothing sucks more than running out of stash while waiting for your own grow to finish

day_45_flower_tops.jpg

day_45_of_flower_PK.jpg

day_45_of_flower.jpg

day_45_flowering.jpg

Quick update. Day 47 of flower and I think the buds are slowly beginning to swell now. And Dutch Passion have very kindly offered me a free 3 pack of seeds to compensate for the dodgy OHS, very nice of them.

day_47_of_flower1.jpg

day_47_flower_tops.jpg

day_47_flowering.jpg

Sorry I haven't updated the thread lately but Ive been a bit under the weather. Will try and post an update in the next few days.

Due to my having been sick today was the first time in 4 days I managed to look at the girls and lucky I did too as I saw signs of mould starting on one of the purple kushes so I had to take a cola off and rescue what I could :thumb:

day_54_rescued_bud.jpg

Anyway I have always believed that mould is natures way of telling you your plant is ready to come down, so as Im still not quite up and about yet Im going to give them all one more day of lighting and then switch off the lights permanently till Im ready to cut them down. Here are the update pics at day 54.

day_54_flower_tops_lights_off.jpg

day_54_flower_PK.jpg

day_54_flower_OHS.jpg

day_54_flowering_lights_off.jpg

day_54_flower_tops.jpg

Back
Top Bottom