1/2 or 1/4 per plant

fault

i was wondering how long do i veg and is a 600w hps in a 2x3x4 enough light. ive been reading and ppl are saying its not just light source its your environment and nutrients. i was just curious how could i achieve this task lol

Are you sure you meant 2x3x ... 4? That isn't much height.

A 600W HID with bulb clearance will take up at least 2 feet, which doesn't leave you much room to grow a high yielding plant. You really need more like 3 feet plus the pot, which is right at your 4 foot height. You can get some hefty yield off a 2 foot plant, though, so you could manage that with a light that only takes up a foot of headroom and bulb clearance.

T5s would be great and so would induction flourescents. HIDs might just be too hot.

As Graytail stated your a little short on height. What caught my wye along with your dimensions was your usage of the word environment. Without some serious ventilation you have an easy bake oven with that wattage ,even a 400 for that matter.

i was wondering how long do i veg and is a 600w hps in a 2x3x4 enough light. ive been reading and ppl are saying its not just light source its your environment and nutrients. i was just curious how could i achieve this task lol

This is something almost all of us have been through, and for me it was just a few months ago - still fresh in my mind - so I'll tell you what I think.

You're right about the light - more is better. In your proposed case, you'd have 100W per sq ft in a 4 foot high space. That's way past the point of diminishing returns. Some of the best growers on 420 run 80+ watt/sf, but first they conquered their environments with full temp and humidity control, and often CO2. They grow with 8+ foot ceilings on trays with access all around - no reflecting walls like you'd have. 600 watts is simply too much light, much less the heat it causes as Wacky said. It's not an efficient use of funds, as your people say.

You might also consider LEDs. They're more expensive, but the lower wattage ones probably don't need much clearance. T5s and CFLs run cool and they only need 2 inches clearance. Inductions are the same, but spendy like LEDs.

I have a cool hood. So it's cool to the touch. And I have 6 inch fan for venting. Will co2 slow down growth?

You can make it work, but you'll have to do it with 20 inch plants. You can't run tops much closer than 10 inches from a 600W. It's not just the heat - it's too much light. Try it - you'll see. :cheesygrinsmiley:

:thumb:

20 inch plant? Do you mean top it at 20? I'm going to scrog also. I started to bend the branches yesterday. How often cab I Bend them? Is it best to do all at once or one or two a day? Does bending slow the growth?

No, I mean the entire plant will have to be 20 inches tall.

You have a grand total of 48 inches of height in your cabinet.
The pot will take 8-10 inches
The useless bottom of the plant will be 6-8 inches
The cooltube will have to be 4 inches from the top
The cooltube is 6 inches

That leaves 24-28 inches for the canopy

But a 600W hps will have to be at least 10 inches from any top, or it will stunt it.

Now you're down to 14-18 of canopy, plus the useless bottom 6-8 inches, and you only have room for a plant 20-26 inches tall.

It's doable - it's just gonna be tight. Short wide pots would help with a couple inches. You might even consider hempies.

My leafs on my veg plants seen alil dry and getting small brown spots on it. Can that be due to over nutrient it? I just added alil more water and I prayed the leaves . or should I just flush it and start over with nutrients

brown spots may mean a cal/mag problem or could be something else, post some pics and we can give you a better idea,

if you look below in my signature you will see a plant accident and emergency, click on that and its full of pics that may help,

but some problems look like to much nutes when it can be to little or it could be ph causing a lock out,

so what type of nutrients are you using and how often

Thanks about to look at the charts. Blue planet 2 part. And I flush and put new nutrients in every week

My leaves look just like mg and nutrients burn. So what do you do if you think it's both. Will I be ok if I leave it in water with less the 1/4 of nutrients.

Hi, so your using blue planet nutrients 2 part, so what have you got the grow and bloom, is that the only 2 nutes you have got from B,p.n.

it might be that you need to supliment with something as with blue planet their is grow,micro,bloom, so the micro adds more of the micro nutrients needed, also with blue p if you follow the guide and match it to the age of the plant then you suppose to feed nutrients each time you water the plant,

only flush if you have a problem, are you sure the problem is just not down to over watering, its best to totally let the pots dry out, what happens is the roots dont get oxygen and they start to die, this then causes a lock out as the roots cant take in the nutrients they need, so if you have been over watering then this could be the problem,

when i water my plants i give them a good water with nutrients each time i water the plants, with compost i dont need to start feeding nutrients for the first 4 weeks but its ok to feed if you follow the feeding guides on the blue p site, dont follow instructions on the back of bottles use the blue p site as its a different schedule, then follow the 2 part guide on their site,

but check if your over watering, i let my pots totally dry out before watering again, my pots get really light and the soil shrinks away from the sides of the pots, the roots need oxygen as much as they need water, so not giving them oxygen stunts growth and growth will be slow and buds will be small, so what i do is water my plants then totally let the pots dry out so the pot is really light to pick up, if your soil is still moist a few inches down then the plant dont need watering, most problems are down to over watering and not down to nutrients, if its over watered then this can cause a nute lock out as the roots cant take in what they need

so if its over watered it will take 2 weeks to recover and get back on track, so if you think this is the case then stop watering and give the roots time to recover, once they have recovered the growth will kick back in again, i over watered my first few plants and growth was slow and harvest was very poor so lesson learned, wilting leaves is also a sign of over or under watering, if its under watered then the soil will be dusty and dry all the way through, if its over watered then the soil is constantly moist and the roots dont get any oxygen and die.

so check the pots, dig down a few inches and stick your fingers down, if they come out totally dry then it needs watering, but if the soil is black and moist then dont water it as you need to let it totally dry out between waterings and that will get the plant back to where it needs to be.

Back
Top Bottom