1 seed from a female in veg

zeestrees420

Hey all,
I've been growing for a few years now and have always bought clones in the spring. I decided to save myself some $ and headache and keep a mother plant myself. I've had this mother plant for 9 months now and I dont have the greatest light set-up. The highest branches are all in complete veg but the stalks under the canopy clearly weren't getting enough light as they started to hair up. I didn't see it as a problem until I noticed one of those small buds had produced a seed. From what I have been told the plant was stressed due to light issues and turned hermaphrodite. I understand the seed (VERY IMMATURE) would be female. However, I have already taken 15 cuttings from that mother and I'm concerned that those plants wont be female. I have pulled the seed pod/bud Can anybody shed some light on this? (no pun intended)....Yes this was a legit seed. No I dont have pictures

-Z

Hello Z. not ever having used feminized seeds but using clones last year that were compromised and produced localized branches of seeds. I did not do this, found out later that it was done for me against my direction specifically. I believe they retain the genes and enviromental or external factors can change or alter the outcome of what we are seeking. i believe a clone has to be exposed to some sort of stress or to a male with sacs to change it's orientation.I found out later my ladies had their braches rubed or in some cases had the branches of a male stuffed into the branches to hold them there so they would pollinate my clones. incidently I got rid of everyone around me cause no one wanted to own up to the fact that a male plant material was brought into my grow. Sucks for them! anyway I never thought I would have a use for that info other that a reallly bad story to tell. i use seeds that fell out during trimming and curing. If they turn out to male I pull them if not I enjoy them.

Hi zee

Welcome to :420:

Can you post any pictures of the mother? I know you said you don't have any, but could you take some? Even a cell phone picture is helpful.

This sounds odd to me. I've never seen only the bottom of a plant flower. You mentioned you felt it was stressed. How so? If it's a vegging mother, she really shouldn't be sensitive to light cycles. You have her under 18/6 or 24/0? The light cycle really only matters when you're in 12/12.

I wouldn't try to use those seeds personally. You already have a mother. You've grown out clones from her before, right? And were those OK? If so, then it does sound like your mother was stressed somehow.

Here is a way to think about this. Let's say your mother is prone to weird flowering characteristics, like hermaphroditism. What would you do then? If you have the option to replace her with something you're more confident in, then you could do that anyway, but it will take time. If your mother is fine, then just keep going. That tells me, that either way, you should probably just go ahead and continue with the clones. If you no longer trust this mother, then pop anther seed and start growing out a new one.

Good luck! :Namaste:

Not a big deal but its probably time to throw the mom into bud cycle and get a new mother. I usually use my mothers for 2 grows or so and then pop them into flower and get a new mother.

Back
Top Bottom