12/12 Bag Seed - Blackberry Kush - Frankenberry - Girl Scout Cookies - 400W MH/HPS

Re: 12/12 Bag Seed - Blackberry Kush - Frankenberry - Girl Scout Cookies - 400W MH/HP

I'd get a new bulb then. No, it should not grind. These are electronic bombs if handled rough. Any crack or air leak into bulb is going to cause failure. I did not catch when you said your bulb was suspect, that makes more sense then ballast loosing it's pulse starter.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Agreed ..
I didn't catch that either....

FE

Re: 12/12 Bag Seed - Blackberry Kush - Frankenberry - Girl Scout Cookies - 400W MH/HP

Another option is one of those 99 cent plugs that you use a copper wire to ground the adapter plug and plug your strip into that. If that is indeed the issue.
Keep your chin up. There will be issues for a grow or two until you are dialed in. Weather the storm. Learn learn learn and things will smooth out..

:peace:

FE

I am not actually sure what kind you're taking about! Is that kind of like one of those 3 prong to 2 prong adapters? Then how would I ground it? Like, just run the wire into the ground? Not really a big electrical guy.

I'd get a new bulb then. No, it should not grind. These are electronic bombs if handled rough. Any crack or air leak into bulb is going to cause failure. I did not catch when you said your bulb was suspect, that makes more sense then ballast loosing it's pulse starter.

Cheers

Ohh so you think the grinding could be the bulb and not the socket it's going into?? I didn't even think of that. I can't remember now if the MH had a gritty feel. It's too hot to go turn off and check now without screwing up the lightning schedule though.

Should I just wait until the next lights-on to swap the bulb out or go put my old CFLs up and turn it off now?

If your bulb is intact it should be fine. If the metal base is loose it needs to be removed, light will start to flicker when failing and arc tube will glow with different colors due to temperature fluxes. Is you lamp rated for open enclosure? If not, it has unprotected arc tube. Cooltube and air cooled hoods are not considered closed enclosures. Eye lights are open rated. If unprotected arc tube fails you will launch hot metal and quartz at 2012° F or about 1k °C. Good way to burn down home. Try to buy only protected arc tubes in both MH and HPS. I'd inspect after lights out and make my decision then on how to proceed. Phillips lighting Web site explains about the different arc tubes and have a nice vid of MH bomb.

Cheers

Another option is one of those 99 cent plugs that you use a copper wire to ground the adapter plug and plug your strip into that. If that is indeed the issue.
Keep your chin up. There will be issues for a grow or two until you are dialed in. Weather the storm. Learn learn learn and things will smooth out..

FE

Cheers

If your bulb is intact it should be fine. If the metal base is loose it needs to be removed, light will start to flicker when failing and arc tube will glow with different colors due to temperature fluxes. Is you lamp rated for open enclosure? If not, it has unprotected arc tube. Cooltube and air cooled hoods are not considered closed enclosures. Eye lights are open rated. If unprotected arc tube fails you will launch hot metal and quartz at 2012° F or about 1k °C. Good way to burn down home. Try to buy only protected arc tubes in both MH and HPS. I'd inspect after lights out and make my decision then on how to proceed. Phillips lighting Web site explains about the different arc tubes and have a nice vid of MH bomb.

Cheers

Hmm I didn't find any info on that on Philips site could you link me?

I am not sure what they're rates as, they're just the Apollo bulbs that came with the kit.

When you say differ colors, do you mean as it's starting up or constant? Mine flickers with strange colors in the arc tube for a few seconds and then comes on.

Problem with inspecting after lights out is I don't have a green light nor is my room sealed from light leaks so it will screw up their dark cycle, think it's not a big deal?

I'd pull the light 15 min before lights out, so shut it down 30 min early. You should have time to replace it with CFL'S or not depending on what you see. Same flickering you see at start up will start if lamp starts to fail. Look up 400 watt CMH and phillips should come up on Google. They discontinued their 400 watts CMH retro fit for HPS ballast. CMH needs low frequency square sine wave, like core and coil ballast. But CC are energy pigs and waste about 70 watts, it will pull 470 from wall. Anyway, on their site they explain protected vs non protected arc tubes, great read and vid. I'm sure there are lots of YouTube video on ruptured arc tubes and catastrophic failures.

Cheers

What exactly would I be looking for, just the metal base being loose? I do usually clean them pretty good before putting them in because I heard the oils on your skin can bake the glass, and so I usually hold it by the base and turn it in a paper towel and I never noticed anything loose about it. Just when screwing it in to the mogul socket.

That video gives me anxiety

Well I have some 100w CFL but they have the normal sized light socket, E37 I think. So I could put them in my ceiling light, it would be a lot but better than incandescent, and then just pull the cord from them timer and open the tent manually at the right time, that way they still get some good light at the right time and I don't have to interrupt light schedule or risk burning my fingertips. I guess it I'll give me some time to check out the mogul base too.

Is the ceramic on those particularly fragile does anyone know? As I said I had to insulate the ground screw and I think when I put it back in I may have tightened the screw itself too much because it sounded gritty. I kind of have gorilla arms :/ But it never seemed to have any problems after, until now.

I tested them out for a while before actually starting plants and I fixed the hood shocking me thing and never had an issue with the bulbs firing up since then and I do remember now I used the HPS in the beginning of seedling stage and it never failed to start at that point.

The only new thing is the fan... I try not to have the fan and the lights plugged into the same outlet because it seemed like it would consistently fail to start of the fan was on the same outlet, I think it has something to do with the "power fluctuation detection" safety feature, but once I moved the fan to its own outlet with an extension cord it stopped. This NEW fan though draws a little more power than the other one... And it's the only new/different thing involved.

FE

I did that on mine, used a 2 prong adapter for a 3 prong block that was plugged into APS battery/surge, and it kept having the ground fault light on. no way around it except to wire in ground or use the 3rd prong orrr just ignore the light and be super careful not to bump or move the 3 prong plugs that you would plug in that block, cause the ground will make them spark nicely lol.

as far as the ballasts goes that sucks and my rule of thumb is anything that draws like 150W+ I like plugged in as close to the wall socket as possible and to avoid any extention cables is best [except backup batteries] That's about all I'd plug a ballast/light into. The more draw it has available the better, obviously :passitleft:

HPS needs to be fired off as opposed to [just about all] MH. This requires a good ground contact. And from what I understand digital ballasts are obviously much better/convenient than magnetic.

Also I do believe HPS has that soldered firing pin on the socket which may be that extra friction/grinding? could be mistaken I haven't used HPS in a while and only have MH....led is a bit easier ;)

Sorry to cause unease with HID. again, I misunderstood your earlier posts. I did not realize you had tightened your receptor base. I have and use Apollow bulbs and I have their 1050S ballast. I got their open wing grow kit. I agree that your fan has a different power need then your ballast (voltage lag/lead issues) and should be on separate wall receptors. Those two pieces of information are enough for you to keep using your light. As stated in Vid, these failure are very rare and are near end of life in hours which you are not even close. You'll be fine.

Cheers

Sorry yah I wasn't home all day.... So yes a two prong to 3 prong adapter then you need to run the third prong on the adapter to a known good ground. This will make it no different than the 3 prong outlet. Sounds like there are other issue's though... ;(

FE

You can make a ground by running a metal rod into the ground/earth usually copper i think you pick them up at The Home Depot and get green wire to run to your adaptor plug from the ground rod use a lug to attach the wire to the ground rod.
Before I did all that though i would pull the outlet and check the box to see if it's grounded or if there is an unused ground wire in there, turn off the breaker first though, then check all the connections in the box and on the outlet to make sure none are loose causing an intermittent drop in current and creating resistance.

I did that on mine, used a 2 prong adapter for a 3 prong block that was plugged into APS battery/surge, and it kept having the ground fault light on. no way around it except to wire in ground or use the 3rd prong orrr just ignore the light and be super careful not to bump or move the 3 prong plugs that you would plug in that block, cause the ground will make them spark nicely lol.

as far as the ballasts goes that sucks and my rule of thumb is anything that draws like 150W+ I like plugged in as close to the wall socket as possible and to avoid any extention cables is best [except backup batteries] That's about all I'd plug a ballast/light into. The more draw it has available the better, obviously :passitleft:

HPS needs to be fired off as opposed to [just about all] MH. This requires a good ground contact. And from what I understand digital ballasts are obviously much better/convenient than magnetic.

Also I do believe HPS has that soldered firing pin on the socket which may be that extra friction/grinding? could be mistaken I haven't used HPS in a while and only have MH....led is a bit easier ;)

So if you put a 3 prong into a 2 prong outlet and jiggle it will the third prong male contact with the other two wires and spark? This could explain a few things. I had the maintenance guy install a 3 prong outlet but he told me there wasn't actually a ground to run. Then I noticed one day when I bumped the plug it would kind of spark. I called him back and he blamed it on the ballast saying the outlet was fine :

The light is almost plugged directly but it goes through a power strip first. I figured having it on a surge protector would be best at first but then I realized I could use the power strip the same as the 3 prong to 2 prong adapter because the third prong was removed. It's about a 7 ft cord.

I had to use the 3 prong to 2 prong for the fan because my extension cord was only two prong. I have been meaning to get a new one so I could put the adapter on the light and plug it straight into the timer and the timer into the wall, but for now I have to us the power strip as a way to avoid the ground detection.

My maintenance guy said my kitchen outlets are grounded and thinks I should run an extension cord from the kitchen outlet to my room but I tend to follow the same idea as you that the less wire between it and the outlet the better.

Sorry to cause unease with HID. again, I misunderstood your earlier posts. I did not realize you had tightened your receptor base. I have and use Apollow bulbs and I have their 1050S ballast. I got their open wing grow kit. I agree that your fan has a different power need then your ballast (voltage lag/lead issues) and should be on separate wall receptors. Those two pieces of information are enough for you to keep using your light. As stated in Vid, these failure are very rare and are near end of life in hours which you are not even close. You'll be fine.

Cheers

Thanks man. I appreciate the cautionary though, I never thought if them spitting flames down the vent tube :O *already thinking of how to build a firewall in the end of his ducting*

and any halogen/mh/hps bulb, any gas based bulb, can explode if you touch it...it reacts with the oils in your skin lol. it's a quick way to waste good money if you aren't careful...even basic halogens shouldn't be touched

Oh didn't realize that, I thought the oils left on wound just kind of cool. Glad I never tried to touch one while it was hot.

Sorry yah I wasn't home all day.... So yes a two prong to 3 prong adapter then you need to run the third prong on the adapter to a known good ground. This will make it no different than the 3 prong outlet. Sounds like there are other issue's though... ;(

FE

You can make a ground by running a metal rod into the ground/earth usually copper i think you pick them up at The Home Depot and get green wire to run to your adaptor plug from the ground rod use a lug to attach the wire to the ground rod.
Before I did all that though i would pull the outlet and check the box to see if it's grounded or if there is an unused ground wire in there, turn off the breaker first though, then check all the connections in the box and on the outlet to make sure none are loose causing an intermittent drop in current and creating resistance.

Whoops I missed these two.

I know there's not a ground to hook up to in the electrical socket.

So if I ran a ground into the dirt out side, could I then run right from it into the house and to the adapter and have it work over a distance? I don't think my landlord would appreciate me drilling a hole in his floor to do it lol

Only thing is that might look a little suspect :/ He noticed a small strand of Cat5 wiring I strung out as a stereo antenna so I would suspect he'd see some twelve GA wire coming out of the ground lol It is an idea I had originally though so I am glad to know it would work.

I think I have a good idea of where to do it though. Is the rod that they sell very big? I remember as a kid my dad driving a big 3 ft lead pipe into the ground. Was hoping I could use something a little smaller. There's a bush right outside the window of my room that should conceal a wire coming through pretty well.

The ones i have driven in were 3/8 of an inch by 6 foot long and i had to use a sledge hammer to finish driving it in
Where did the sparks come from when that happened

The ones i have driven in were 3/8 of an inch by 6 foot long and i had to use a sledge hammer to finish driving it in
Where did the sparks come from when that happened

It looked like it happened inside the two slots of the plug

Well today is happier, the lights came on no problem. Girls are looking pretty good, the big ones are probably gonna need water in a day or two. The Frankenberry is hardly drinking, pot weighs almost the same as it did when I watered. Seems a little stunted. The weird growth was really robbing tops of light too so I pruned a little and did some bending, on Bigger Bertha too since she got so many side branches. The smaller ones are getting some good stretch so I am guessing they'll start putting flowers on again after th
IMG_20160611_013244.jpg
IMG_20160611_013206.jpg
IMG_20160611_012838.jpg
IMG_20160611_012825.jpg
IMG_20160611_012717.jpg
IMG_20160611_011838.jpg
IMG_20160611_011806.jpg
IMG_20160611_011711.jpg
IMG_20160611_011653.jpg
IMG_20160611_011622.jpg
IMG_20160611_011540.jpg
IMG_20160611_011528.jpg
IMG_20160611_011422.jpg
IMG_20160611_011411.jpg
IMG_20160611_011400.jpg
IMG_20160611_011346.jpg
IMG_20160611_011337.jpg
IMG_20160611_011325.jpg
IMG_20160611_011255.jpg
at's done.

So the lights didn't come on again today. To test if it had something to to with the fan I am going to put it on a timer to turn off a few minutes before the lights come on.

Apollo wrote back but I don't think they understand the problem because they told me to check the fuses if the light isn't coming on, but if it was a blown fuse they wouldn't be coming on at all.

Plants need to grow faster.

Looks like you got over your issues. Looking well. :passitleft:

Lol well maybe I just traded one for another now that my lights not coming on consistently.

I took more pictures. They smell awesome, did some more bending and pruning. I put some tape on the pots to label them and also keep track of the direction of the plant to the light.

IMG_20160612_040012.jpg
IMG_20160612_040021.jpg
IMG_20160612_040035.jpg
IMG_20160612_040045.jpg
IMG_20160612_040205.jpg
IMG_20160612_040221.jpg
IMG_20160612_040236.jpg
IMG_20160612_040254.jpg
IMG_20160612_040315.jpg
IMG_20160612_040331.jpg
IMG_20160612_040713.jpg
IMG_20160612_040342.jpg