Equipment/Supplies used:

• AeroGarden Deluxe
  • Rapid Rooter Plugs
  • Nutri-Dip Tri-meter
  • Temp/Humidity Gauge
  • 1 Gallon distilled water
  • pH +

Day 1:

A short time ago I had received my feminized Lucy seeds from Barney’s Farm. I stored them in the refrigerator for roughly a week until I got up and going with the equipment I needed for, (hopefully), a successful germination

Today, they were removed from their concealment within the manila envelopes they had been shipped in. I have to admit that the packaging by Barney’s Farm was somewhat impressive.

As for the seeds themselves, I guess I was expecting them to be somewhat larger, but am in no position to question their potency or potential. Since this is my first time grow my only hope is that they make it to harvest. If so, then I will consider my first grow a success.

Grow_Journal_-_005.jpg

They have an attractive mottled pattern on their outer coatings. I wanted to get a picture of them before germination. They just look like they have attitude!

Originally I was going to simply plant them in soil, but had read so many rave reviews about rapid rooter plugs, that I decided to try a different method.

For years I had an old AeroGarden Deluxe model sitting on the shelf collecting dust. So I thought to myself, ‘What if I used the AeroGarden to germinate the seeds utilizing Rapid Rooter Plugs instead of the AeroGarden grow sponges that initially shipped with the unit’?

This sounded good in theory, but posed a small problem when put to the test. Unlike the grow sponges that initially came with the AeroGarden and fit so neatly inside the plastic basket inserts; I found the Rapid Rooter Plugs to be much wider and shorter in comparison.

Grow_Journal_-_001.jpg

I had to cut the Rapid Rooters down to size in order to fit them into the system’s plastic basket inserts. This was not hard to do, but again posed another difficulty in regards to the AeroGarden unit itself.

Although the name, “AeroGarden” would imply that the system was aeroponic by nature, this is not the truth. The system basically top irrigates by means of a directed drip down onto the plastic basket and growing sponge as you can see here:

AG_example.jpg

My fear was that if the Rapid Rooters were trimmed too thin, the drip system would not be able to make a solid connection with the plug thereby rendering the irrigation process useless. Therefore, I had to be mindful of the fact that the Rapid Rooters had to be trimmed down to fit inside the baskets, but likewise needed to be somewhat firm against the sides of the plastic baskets as well.

Another consideration was expanse of the Rapid Rooters once wet. If the Rooters were too snug against the plastic baskets they wouldn’t necessarily have an ample amount of room to expand. This would, in effect, leave the seeds in a very suffocative medium. With this in mind, I ended up with something that looked like this…

Grow_Journal_-_002.jpg

Once the Rapid Rooters had been trimmed to size it was time to start working on the AeroGarden.

The unit was thoroughly cleaned. Once by hand scrubbing it with dish soap. A second time by running bleach through the system. A third time by running fresh water through the system. After I had felt the unit was sufficiently clean, I proceeded to add distilled water to the unit and balance the pH of the water. I realize that most growers use distilled water because of its near-neutral pH of 7.0, but again, this is as much of a misnomer as the AeroGarden being truly aeroponic. When I tested the pH of the distilled water, it was roughly at a pH of 4.0!

I have found a low pH in distilled water to hold true in the past as well, although I’m not quite sure why. I have a Nutri-Dip trimeter and had cleaned the probes properly as well as recalibrated the pH probe in both 7.0 and 4.0 solution.

I have read several times that the best pH to germinate cannabis seeds is between 5.8 - 6.2 and so set out accordingly. I had to up my pH by 2.0 and ended up with an acceptable reading of 6.2 once stabilized.

Grow_Journal_-_010.jpg

The ambient room temperature was also taken into consideration as it is staying at a consistent 75° and roughly 85° under the CFLs. Humidity is being maintained by the individual humidity domes that cover each Rapid Rooter.

After all was said and done this was what the final setup looked like:

Grow_Journal_-_008.jpg

I did not label the seeds in as much as they are all the same but I did label one with the date as you can see here:

Grow_Journal_-_007.jpg

Also, the labels serve as algae prevention by helping to block out any light that may try to get to the water.

In summary, I tried to find an idiot-proof way to germinate my seeds. This may seem somewhat extreme, but then again, you have to be aware of the magnitude of idiocy you’re dealing with here. As stated before, this is my first-time grow and I am hoping to get it right the first time at bat.

Grow_Journal_-_006.jpg

Time will only tell I guess…

I want to personally thank all of you who took the time to read my journal.

Grüw :peace:

Re: 1st grow. Lucy germinating in AeroGarden Rapid Rooters

Date: Sunday, January 13th 2013
Time: 6:00 P.M.

Seeds: L.S.D. feminized (5)
Breeder: Barney’s Farm

Equipment/Supplies used:

• AeroGarden Deluxe
  • Rapid Rooter Plugs
  • Nutri-Dip Tri-meter
  • Temp/Humidity Gauge
  • pH +

Days 2-4:

During my last post I had initially planted my L.S.D. seeds within Rapid Rooters and they were put into an AeroGarden Deluxe with a 24 hour lighting/watering cycle.

My initial worries were getting the Rapid Rooter plugs small enough to fit into the AG plastic basket inserts. I wanted to make sure they were large enough to be snug, but small enough to expand and allow the seedlings room to germinate properly.

The sprouting was almost instantaneous.

Before I elaborate on it though I thought it would be best to preface this update with a naming convention for the newly emerged seedlings. Forgiving the lack of creativity, it makes it so much easier to discuss them individually for future reference. I have named them, “plants 1 - 5”, in order to their placement within the AG from left to right. I’ve included their designation in the photo below.

Grow_Journal_-_011.jpg

The first seedling to emerge was plant #5. At first sight, it appeared healthy, but once I removed the AG label from the plant I saw something somewhat disturbing. As you will see from the photo, the root emerged in a semi-twisted fashion. It was elongated and appeared almost as if it were tangled. I didn’t know exactly what to make of it.

Grow_Journal_-_012.jpg

Grow_Journal_-_013.jpg

If that weren’t bad enough, plant #1 appeared to have almost leaped from the plug. What I was left with was a very long and sickly appearing root that had emerged from its dwelling too weak to hold up any future emerging cotyledon as you can see from this picture.

Grow_Journal_-_014.jpg

I wasn’t sure if it was best to simply cull it from the bunch, or replant it. Seeing that every seed deserves a chance I took the risk of replanting it. I opened up the Rapid Rooter plug by splitting it on one side. Thereafter, I placed the fragile tap root deep within the plug and then placed the humidity dome back on top of it as you can see here:

Grow_Journal_-_016.jpg

Grow_Journal_-_017.jpg

I am not sure what to expect from plant #1. If it lives I would be impressed. Why it emerged that way I really don’t understand, even after Googling for an answer for sometime. I came up with nothing.

My other plants seem to have been much more fortunate.

Plant #2 had emerged in quite an odd fashion as you can see here. She is apparently doing well as far as I can see though.

Grow_Journal_-_018.jpg

Plant #3 appears to be the most “normal” of the bunch with not only the emergence of her cotyledon leaves, but her first set of serrated tipped leaves beginning to show as well.

Grow_Journal_-_019.jpg

Finally, plant #4 has emerged with healthy cotyledon leaves as well.

Grow_Journal_-_020.jpg

I had removed all the domes, with the exception of plant #1.

Now I simply want them to develop for a short period of
time before I plant them within their soil-based medium.

The pH has been holding steady at 6.1

The ambient temperature has also held steady at roughly 75°

I plan on continuing their 24 hour lighting/watering cycle without adding any nutrients.

Hopefully within several days from now they will be strong enough to transplant into the Roots Organic.

My only worry now is in regards to plant #1 and whether or not she will survive the reseating.

It'll survive ..... it's no different than germinating in a wet paper towel and transplanting them into dirt or rooters. But, now that #1 has popped, take off the dome. If you leave your dome on more than a couple days after they pop, the humidity will be too high and cause the stem to rot off. I know because I did this to my first 5 pack that I popped. They grew fine and then rotted off. I didn't know to take off the humidity dome.

Thanks much Muttt. Taking your advice on that and going to remove dome.

Date: Friday, January 18th 2013
Time: 1:48 A.M.

Seeds: L.S.D. feminized (5)

Breeder:
Barney's Farm

Equipment/Supplies used:

• AeroGarden Deluxe
  • Rapid Rooter Plugs
  • Nutri-Dip Tri-meter
  • Temp/Humidity Gauge
  • Super Thrive (1 milliliter/¼ teaspoon)
*Quick note:
Although this journal entry has been posted on Saturday 1/19/13, the notes/pictures were initially done on the date indicated above. I like to keep an encrypted journal for myself and post the journal afterward on 420. I had read in the forums at -------- about the countless loss of journal entries there by hackers. Also, if there was ever a need to repost my journal.

Days 5-8:

In my last post I had been keeping the seedlings on a 24 hour light/watering cycle in the Aero Garden.

I wanted to post some before and after pictures of my plants to show their progress that took place within these last several days.

I was previously concerned about the twisted root structure of plant #5, and in particular, the elongated stretching that took place with plant #1.

I decided to leave #5 alone, but #1 gave me no choice but to replant due to the strange elongation that took place.

I really wasn't sure #1 would live or not after replanting. Suffice it to say, #1 is doing well after being replanted. I want to thank, "Muttt" for the reassurance and help regarding the issue. Here is a before/after photo of plant #1:

LSD_Grow_01-18-13_001.jpg

Plant #2 sprouted looking like something straight out of Little Shop of Horrors. Time has helped the process and now serrated leaves are showing within the short amount of time as indicated in this before/after photo:

LSD_Grow_01-18-13_002.jpg

As stated in my last post, plant #3 appeared the most, "normal" of the bunch, but she has really emerged as the overall champion of the group. As shown in the following picture she has now developed another set of blades and continues to do well. I'm sure its way too early to consider a future mother, but plant #3 has certainly been vigorous in relation to the rest.

LSD_Grow_01-18-13_003.jpg

Plant #4 is doing well and has developed a nice set of blades in this short period of time.

LSD_Grow_01-18-13_005.jpg

Plant #5 was an initial worry to me in the sense that the root structure emerged in a twisted fashion. She has now developed a nice set of leaves and appears to be doing well. I plan to cover the root with soil when I transplant them into their Roots Organic medium, Saturday.

Thursday night I gave the seedlings roughly 1 milliliter of Super Thrive and it seems to have helped, or at least, its done no harm from what I've witnessed.

This has brought the pH down from 6.1 to roughly 5.5

The ambient temperature has remained around 75° +/- 3°

Tomorrow I plan on transplanting them into soil (Roots Organic). I hope this is not too soon to do so.

I plan on continuing their 24 hour lighting cycle. No more nutrients will be added, although I am not sure if this is necessarily a good thing.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom