1st Grow - Seeds Dirt Water Light That's It

Re: 1st Grow Seeds Dirt Water Light Thats it.

Hey Indajag sorry to take so long getting over, you're doing great!

Few questions for you

1 what kind of water are you using, and what's the ph?

2 does the mg soil have nutes already in it?

3 are you using oc or oc+?

4 what are your temps?

5 are you just having that spotting problem on one cluster of leaves, or many? where on the plant is it?

If it were me, I would lst those plants. The big one you could practically bend in half. All you to is take some string, gently bend the plant over until it resists, and tie it in that position. In a day or two you can repeat the process. With your limited lighting you'll want to have the plants as low and compact as possible. You should also go to 12/12 asap because they're going to double or more in size when you do.

If you do a search in the grow forum for lst you'll find lots of examples if you're not familiar with it.

You said something wise above, the plants look good overall so don't make any sudden changes. I don't consider lst a sudden change, it will do nothing but help you. I'd do that instead of topping or fimming, especially your bigger plants.

Don't worry about the burned leaf here and there, we all get them. Just remember that the plants can grow an inch or more in a day, esp after you go to 12/12.

You've got a lot of plants and not a lot of lights lol! I know you're on a budget but if there's one other thing I'd suggest, it's get more lights.

If you can get your temps, water, lighting, humidity and ventilation right you almost can't help but grow good herb.

If you can afford it HTG has great 400w hps lights for around $150 with shipping. I only point this out because I wish I'd thought more about this early in my cfl career. One of those is equal to about 20 26w cfls, costs about the same and is so much cleaner and in my limited experience doesn't give off any more heat.

Just something to think about.

Good luck with your grow my friend, do you know anything about the seeds you've got going?

Hey Blue thanks for stopping by! After all people like yourself, OldManMed,and Chopper are the reason this journal even exist.

About my grow:
1. Lights, lights, lights OMG! I need more light! lol. There is nothing I could use more than more lights. As soon as I can I am adding some more lights. How will the light you suggested effect my electric bill? All cost are a concern to me.

2. I am planning on going 12/12 asap! I was just giving plants 2,3, and 4 time to catch up. I dont expect much out of #5 but right now its just too cute to kill.

3. I am currently using oc. Someone bought it for me before I read about oc+. I added it when I transplanted them. Shortly there after the bottom leaves got spots.

4. I did alot of searching on "LST". Definitly gonna do it on #1.

5. I live in the South East so humidity and temps are good. I do plan to go completely climate controlled on the next one.

Question. What would be the proper etiquette to give props to people like OMM and Chopper as well as someone such as yourself?

The thing about HID lighting is the heat. In a small room with little to know ventilation, the heat will cook a plant in no time. I think you should consider getting more lights (cfls), you'll make your plants happier for sure.

Lights, lights, lights. My kingdom for more lights.lol

Ive been considering these low cost LEDs. The are red/blue combined. Does anybody have an opinion on these versus the CFLs?

I realize at this point and time even candle light would help.lol

Ive been considering these low cost LEDs. The are red/blue combined. Does anybody have an opinion on these versus the CFLs?

Well I read a journal on here, somewhere, where a guy veg'd with LEDs and then switched to HID for flowering and he did pretty well with it. As far as a full on grow, I'm not sure. There is probably someone here who could tell you better. Maybe try searching the grow journals? :)

Hey Blue thanks for stopping by! After all people like yourself, OldManMed,and Chopper are the reason this journal even exist.

About my grow:
1. Lights, lights, lights OMG! I need more light! lol. There is nothing I could use more than more lights. As soon as I can I am adding some more lights. How will the light you suggested effect my electric bill? All cost are a concern to me.

2. I am planning on going 12/12 asap! I was just giving plants 2,3, and 4 time to catch up. I dont expect much out of #5 but right now its just too cute to kill.

3. I am currently using oc. Someone bought it for me before I read about oc+. I added it when I transplanted them. Shortly there after the bottom leaves got spots.

4. I did alot of searching on "LST". Definitly gonna do it on #1.

5. I live in the South East so humidity and temps are good. I do plan to go completely climate controlled on the next one.

Question. What would be the proper etiquette to give props to people like OMM and Chopper as well as someone such as yourself?

The only etiquette I know if is to grow the best plants you can, and try to pass along to others what we try to pass along ourselves. We're all here for the great people, great information and trying to help the 420 cause if we can. I'm glad to try and help any way I can!

You didn't comment on your water, are you using tap water? You're in soil so it's not quite as crucial, but you need to know what's in the water you're using - specifically the Total Alkalinity (TA) and pH. That can have a great impact on your grow.

If you're using tap water, go to your water district web site and get their water quality report and post the info here - remove any info about your location first. If you're using well or tap water you need to get a meter or test kit to find that info.

When I saw your plants my first thought was a cal/mag deficiency and I think that could still be the case, if possible pick of some cal/mag supplement and start using it with each watering. You can go to any of the local nurserys or Lowes etc and look for mineral supplements - Ironite makes one but it's missing magnesium... I've seen bone meal supplements, etc.

What you want to get is either cal/mag or a full micronute supplement. You can use epsom salts in an emergency for the mag part but it will cause a salt build up over time and you need to flush every 2 weeks or so to clear them out.

You'll know it's cal/mag because it will appear as spots on the leaves, kind of works from the inside out. The spots get larger. In my case I'd see the spots and within 3-4 days the leaf would be dead, it moves very fast. It also popped up here and there - a cluster of leaves on one side, then another cluster on the other side of the plant, etc.

At this stage where you're getting things dialed in try to examine your plants closely every day - don't just admire them with a stoned grin lol. Look at the leaves for spots, burning at the tips, etc. You want to stay on top of problems.

Lights, lights, lights. My kingdom for more lights.lol

LOL I wish I could send you some, I have about 30 clamp cfls and bulbs in boxes right now and frankly I'm wondering what the hell to do with them.

This is why I suggested looking into an HID light. It will have about the same effect on your electric bill as leaving on 4 100 watt incandescent bulbs... not huge but you'll notice it. You'll have to look at the cost per kilowatt of power on your bill and figure that out exactly.

haha don't waste your money on those cheapie LEDS.... the LED's that work, and they work great, are the opposite of cheap, they're the most expensive lights you can get as a grower.

You're much better off getting cfls for your money imo.

Well I read a journal on here, somewhere, where a guy veg'd with LEDs and then switched to HID for flowering and he did pretty well with it. As far as a full on grow, I'm not sure. There is probably someone here who could tell you better. Maybe try searching the grow journals? :)

The good LED's work just as well for flower as HPS, and maybe better. Check out Munki's grow, he's just going into flower now with his LED's. I can also point you to a side by side grow of PPP with LED's and HPS - a virtual tie all great looking plants.

One comment about cfls - if you have a bunch of them they'll kick out a bunch of heat. On my last grow I had 40, and they'd raise the room temp almost 25 degrees. So sure 2-3 cfls kick out a lot less heat than a 400w hid light, but 400 real watts of cfls is probably about a wash with a 400w hid as far as heat goes.

Sorry to ramble so much it's a problem I have... good luck!

One last thing for now that I constantly like to repeat... a DocBud-ism.

Focus your energy and attention and money on your environment, not your nutes!

Know your temps and try to keep them in the 65 - 80 range. The less difference between day and night temps is the single biggest factor in limiting stretch, except maybe bushmaster. If you're fighting high temps it will screw up your grow, get them under control with better ventilation.

Try to keep your rh under 50, especially during flower and while drying. This is a tough one for lots of us, but when you lose a crop to mold and mildew you'll get the message loud and clear.

Water - we've talked about water. In hydro/hempy especially you want your pH around 5.8 to 6, and TA under 80. Get a good meter or reliable drops. Water until you get runoff and then don't water again until the pots are nice and light.

Ventilation - keep a fan on the plants, I only run mine when the lights are on but if your rh is high run it all the time. A nice oscillating fan works best imo. This will strengthen the stems and keep down the heat and mildew.

Lights - we've talked about lights. You can grow great buds with cfls but the key is lots of them close to the bud sites. Starting 21 days into flower I remove all fan leaves that are in any way blocking light to the buds. Your plants need light on the buds way more than they need fans at this stage. Bud sites that don't get good light will be small & fluffy.

Ok now I'm done lol! :tokin:

Ok now I'm done lol! :tokin:

Heh. You sure? :grinjoint:

See, this is what I like about 420 Mag, you get a vast difference of opinions and no one is trying to cram their's down your throat. :Rasta:

Today is project day. I want to put my cabinet inside a closet so I have to take it outside to take a couple of inches out of the width. I am disabled so my sons will be taking care of this. Then I am gonna reorganize the inside of the cabinet. And yes its time to start a lil "LST" on #1. Gonna try to get the canopy a lil more even.
Also FINALLY got a timer. The girls(hopefully) go 12/12 starting tonight!
Lots to do today. I will get a pic up when Im done

If you're using tap water, go to your water district web site and get their water quality report and post the info here - remove any info about your location first. If you're using well or tap water you need to get a meter or test kit to find that info.

You'll know it's cal/mag because it will appear as spots on the leaves, kind of works from the inside out. The spots get larger. In my case I'd see the spots and within 3-4 days the leaf would be dead, it moves very fast. It also popped up here and there - a cluster of leaves on one side, then another cluster on the other side of the plant, etc

The good LED's work just as well for flower as HPS, and maybe better. Check out Munki's grow, he's just going into flower now with his LED's. I can also point you to a side by side grow of PPP with LED's and HPS - a virtual tie all great looking plants.

Sorry to ramble so much it's a problem I have... good luck!

1. I started with spring water and just switched to tap water. 2 waterings ago. Try ing to find the specs on my tap water now. I will post them as soon as I can.

2. The spots are only on the 2 bottom leaves of plants #1 and #4.

3. I will check out Munki's light comparison grow. Thanks.

4. About your boxes of cfl's. I completely forgot what your set up looked like in the beginning. You certainly have cleaned it up!

5. Please continue to ramble on. I learn so much when you do.

Hey Indajag I was at tractor supply today to pick up a belt for my mower and saw the MG Organic Choice Potting soil, that's what you have right?

It has nutes in it, supposedly enough for 2 months, so I'd be extremely careful about adding anything else, especially since you put in some OC. I'd try to just water and as long as they look pretty happy don't change a thing. That soil should work just fine for you, where you'll get in trouble is when you try to add any more nutes.

OC is a little different, it's designed to release very slowly and not if it's not needed, so unless your temps get up in the 80's you should be fine. It will start releasing more food at higher temps which you should try hard to avoid.

Are you managing pain? I'm glad you've got some good sons to help you with the work. Take care and good luck!

Hey Indajag I was at tractor supply today to pick up a belt for my mower and saw the MG Organic Choice Potting soil, that's what you have right?

It has nutes in it, supposedly enough for 2 months, so I'd be extremely careful about adding anything else, especially since you put in some OC. I'd try to just water and as long as they look pretty happy don't change a thing. That soil should work just fine for you, where you'll get in trouble is when you try to add any more nutes.

Are you managing pain? I'm glad you've got some good sons to help you with the work. Take care and good luck!

Yep thats the MG Im using.
Yeah i dont think I will be adding anymore nutes.
Thanks to MJ I manage the pain pretty well. I live in a state that has not approved MMJ, but my Drs know I use it and are very supportive.
I also have a morphine pump that was surgically put in and connected directly to my spinal cord.

Re: 1st Grow Seeds Dirt Water Light Thats it

That sounds pretty serious Inda. Hopefully you can grow yourself some great meds and have some fun here while you learn and take your mind off life for a while.

That sounds pretty serious Inda. Hopefully you can grow yourself some great meds and have some fun here while you learn and take your mind off life for a while.

I was "T" boned by a car going 115mph. My c5,c6, and c7 vertebrae exploded out the front of my neck. Had to be resuscitated twice. Spent a month in a coma and was left permanently paralyzed. Been on the road to recovery ever since.(3 years so far)
I find the best pain relief comes from distraction (besides the MJ) My grow and this community that you and everybody else here makes up makes everyday a lil better. Thanks to you and everyone here.

Now back to the grow. The girls(still hopefully) seem to really like 12/12. Looks like they are growing at an high rate now. Still working on the "LST" for #1. Hopefully I will get it figured out and neaten up the inside of the cabinet for pictures later today.

I was "T" boned by a car going 115mph. My c5,c6, and c7 vertebrae exploded out the front of my neck. Had to be resuscitated twice. Spent a month in a coma and was left permanently paralyzed. Been on the road to recovery ever since.(3 years so far)
I find the best pain relief comes from distraction (besides the MJ) My grow and this community that you and everybody else here makes up makes everyday a lil better. Thanks to you and everyone here.

Now back to the grow. The girls(still hopefully) seem to really like 12/12. Looks like they are growing at an high rate now. Still working on the "LST" for #1. Hopefully I will get it figured out and neaten up the inside of the cabinet for pictures later today.

God bless you Inda, what an ordeal. Your whole life was turned upside down in the blink of an eye. I'm so glad you're still here with us!

You can't screw up an LST unless you rip the plant out of the ground, and if you're gentle that won't happen. I gently bend the plant the way I want it to go - I have the string already anchored - and stop when it resists very much. Tie it off and put it back under the lights. In a day or so you can repeat the process if you couldn't get it to bend enough the first time. You want to get them parallel to the ground at the height you want.

Good luck and take care!

Good stuff, been following this one. Reminds me of my first bagseed grows so many years ago...

I was motivated to write a comment based on your description of your horrible accident! I am so sorry to hear that you are in pain, but I have to tell you that growing and using MJ is a great distraction and remedy for both mental and physical pain.

I have seen people grow some good stuff with CFL's, look forward to seeing what you come up with. The big planters and good soil should really help.

Good stuff, been following this one. Reminds me of my first bagseed grows so many years ago...

I was motivated to write a comment based on your description of your horrible accident! I am so sorry to hear that you are in pain, but I have to tell you that growing and using MJ is a great distraction and remedy for both mental and physical pain.

I have seen people grow some good stuff with CFL's, look forward to seeing what you come up with. The big planters and good soil should really help.

Hey thanks for coming along! Its a lil bumpy but it will be a fun ride.lol

I had a couple of real bad days but Im back in the game now.

Heres my first attempt at "LST"
1_LST.jpg

4-12-11 3days 12/12
4-12-11.jpg

4-12-11 including #5
4-12-11_including_5.jpg

#5 was planted below #1. I had to pull it out when I leaned #1. I really dont have room for it so I am giving it to a friend.
As soon as she picks up #5 Im gonna LST #2,#3 and #4.

Good first LST Inda! If you can, try to train it around the rim of the bucket as much as possible. If you're pressed for space just chop away at the overgrowth, it will all come back and then some. You want to keep them low but depending on your space maybe can't let them get too wide.

And I'm glad you're feeling better bro that's the most important thing :peace:

just chop away at the overgrowth, it will all come back and then some. You want to keep them low but depending on your space maybe can't let them get too wide.

And I'm glad you're feeling better bro that's the most important thing :peace:

Thanks BlueDog,
would "overgrowth" be the really big leaves? Because Ive been looking at them and thinking I should get rid of them, but I didnt want to screw anything up.

Also, how soon should I be able to see if they are male or females?

Thanks BlueDog,
would "overgrowth" be the really big leaves? Because Ive been looking at them and thinking I should get rid of them, but I didnt want to screw anything up.

Also, how soon should I be able to see if they are male or females?

Morning Inda!

Sorry I forgot you were in 12/12, you have to be a little more careful about what you chop now.

Depending on how good your eyes are you should be able to determine sex starting at about 10 days in, 10-14 days should do it for you.

If you were still vegging I'd say hack away at the plants if there was stuff in the way, but now you want to try and control without chopping if you can. I'd try and just tie stuff in where you need it to be, don't worry about being too gentle. Also any big fan leaves can be removed but try to keep as many of them as you can until stretch is finished, usually about 21 days in.

What day of 12/12 are you now? Good luck friend!

Back
Top Bottom