1st Grow - Seeds Dirt Water Light That's It

Re: 1st Grow Seeds Dirt Water Light Thats it.

1st_Grow2.JPG

If you position the lights closer you wont have stretching and you will have nice close together.
Girls are looking great though!

Hey thanks for stopping by dank. Yeah a typical noob mistake.lol

a couple of classic noob mistakes I made so far.

1. cfls will burn your plant if the touch it.
2. Plan for your success. You just might have some. My plants grew better than I was ready for. They became root bound in small pots 3 times. i had to keep transplanting them. Make sure you got something big enough for them to grow in right off the bat.

Despite all I did wrong the things just kept growing.

Update: Last night I lowered the lights to try and get more light on plants 2,3,4,and 5. When I checked the plants this morning I had burnt a leaf on plant #1.
Also I noticed spots on a bottom leaf of plant #1 and plant #4. I will post a pic later for you alls diagnosis.

Well after another small burn I finally figured a low tech to my problem of getting more lights to my smaller plants. I just raised them instead of lowering my light. DUH!

Very few things are as difficult as we make them. :tokin:

Looking good so far. Keeping the plants close to lights will certainly help with growth because they will get more lumen (light energy) on the leaves. You might want to consider adding more lights, though, as the more light you have, the better that plants will do. :grinjoint:

Looking good so far. Keeping the plants close to lights will certainly help with growth because they will get more lumen (light energy) on the leaves. You might want to consider adding more lights, though, as the more light you have, the better that plants will do. :grinjoint:

Hey MacMota thanks for stopping by. I kinda started this whole thing by betting my buddies that I could grow them with nothing but cfls. At the time none of us had even heard of it being done, but then again we were buyers not growers. They did so well they became root block for a while in tiny pots. Then I stumbled across this site and you guys. Now I cant get enough knowledge! I cant wait to start my next grow!

Question: Can you explain topping in ez terms or direct me somewhere?

Now Im heading over to check out your grows.

Question: Can you explain topping in ez terms or direct me somewhere?

Now Im heading over to check out your grows.

Thanks for checking my stuff out. It seems like ages ago when I was doing that. I'm gonna get back on it though. It's just too damn addictive.

As far as topping goes, the best way I can explain it is this: You cut the top of the plant off when it is still growing to allow all that "up" energy change to "out" energy. As in, the plant will put more effort into growing the established leaves and branches instead of new ones. I'm no expert on it though, so do your research. :grinjoint:

Thanks for checking my stuff out. It seems like ages ago when I was doing that. I'm gonna get back on it though. It's just too damn addictive.

As far as topping goes, the best way I can explain it is this: You cut the top of the plant off when it is still growing to allow all that "up" energy change to "out" energy. As in, the plant will put more effort into growing the established leaves and branches instead of new ones. I'm no expert on it though, so do your research. :grinjoint:

Thanks for the input. But when should you top? when the plant is how tall? A couple of other quick questions if I may.
1. Any idea about the spots one my #1?
2. I can lean #1 all the way over. Should I tie it like this for flowering?

Sorry about all the questions I will also research them myself.
And yes looking at other grows is VERY ADDICTING! lol

I beleive you can top anytime after the plant has 5 or more nodes. On my first grow I topped my plants and got two main colas. These planst can take a fair amount of abuse, so if you train your leaning plant over you would get more light to the stalk creating more bud sites. I beleive the spots are nute burn, probably due to MG soil, but I personally use the stuff. Are you using any supplimental nutes? My advise is from research and some experience, but your plants look amazing so far. I'll be "lurking" around your grow, good luck.:thumb::popcorn:

I topped my Mekong high using the FIM method and now have like 4 colas forming.... Just started to see the buds forming on mine it's awesome!! The plants are leaning towards the light looks like u need more light!!! Also chill on the nutes ur killing it lol!!!

I beleive you can top anytime after the plant has 5 or more nodes. On my first grow I topped my plants and got two main colas. These planst can take a fair amount of abuse, so if you train your leaning plant over you would get more light to the stalk creating more bud sites. I beleive the spots are nute burn, probably due to MG soil, but I personally use the stuff. Are you using any supplimental nutes? My advise is from research and some experience, but your plants look amazing so far. I'll be "lurking" around your grow, good luck.:thumb::popcorn:

Hey ob, Thanks for the info. You probably right about the nute burn. The plants were root bound for over a week so when I transplanted then I threw some OC on them.
Think I will try a little late "LST" on the leaner.

I topped my Mekong high using the FIM method and now have like 4 colas forming.... Just started to see the buds forming on mine it's awesome!! The plants are leaning towards the light looks like u need more light!!! Also chill on the nutes ur killing it lol!!!

Hey Tweaks
Right and right again.lol
Do you have a journal? Id like to check it out.

Hey Indajag sorry to take so long getting over, you're doing great!

Few questions for you

1 what kind of water are you using, and what's the ph?

2 does the mg soil have nutes already in it?

3 are you using oc or oc+?

4 what are your temps?

5 are you just having that spotting problem on one cluster of leaves, or many? where on the plant is it?

If it were me, I would lst those plants. The big one you could practically bend in half. All you to is take some string, gently bend the plant over until it resists, and tie it in that position. In a day or two you can repeat the process. With your limited lighting you'll want to have the plants as low and compact as possible. You should also go to 12/12 asap because they're going to double or more in size when you do.

If you do a search in the grow forum for lst you'll find lots of examples if you're not familiar with it.

You said something wise above, the plants look good overall so don't make any sudden changes. I don't consider lst a sudden change, it will do nothing but help you. I'd do that instead of topping or fimming, especially your bigger plants.

Don't worry about the burned leaf here and there, we all get them. Just remember that the plants can grow an inch or more in a day, esp after you go to 12/12.

You've got a lot of plants and not a lot of lights lol! I know you're on a budget but if there's one other thing I'd suggest, it's get more lights.

If you can get your temps, water, lighting, humidity and ventilation right you almost can't help but grow good herb.

If you can afford it HTG has great 400w hps lights for around $150 with shipping. I only point this out because I wish I'd thought more about this early in my cfl career. One of those is equal to about 20 26w cfls, costs about the same and is so much cleaner and in my limited experience doesn't give off any more heat.

Just something to think about.

Good luck with your grow my friend, do you know anything about the seeds you've got going?

The thing about HID lighting is the heat. In a small room with little to know ventilation, the heat will cook a plant in no time. I think you should consider getting more lights (cfls), you'll make your plants happier for sure.

Back
Top Bottom