1st time grower - Possible N Tox - Simple grow - 1 plant

Blackflags

Edit: Forgot to add this. My apologies.

What Strain is it? Unknown
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Sativa, I believe
How Many Plants? Just 1
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Veg stage
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? 1 to 1 1/2 weeks
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor. I keep her in a box, with Aluminum foil lining inside(She has proper airflow)
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If Soil... What is in your Mix? It's Miracle Gro potting soil. It's aged, so I'm sure a bit of the nutrients have been used up. I'm not sure the exact levels, although I can Google it if necessary
If Soil... What Size Pot? 6 inch, standard plastic with the Miracle gro. I transplanted her to a 12 inch, I believe, with regular potting soil **Refer to pictures below. 1st picture is her in the smaller, Miracle Gro pot. The other pictures are her transplant pot**
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? I have a 150w work light with dome, and currently running 1 23w, 1600 lumes, 2700k Sylvania CFL. I was running the same, but 40w, and felt it was getting too hot. Could I go back to that light?
Is it Air Cooled? Yes. It always has a fan, and air circulation on it
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? Averages: *Day* - 75-80F *Night* - 70-75
RH of Room/Cabinet? *Day* - 35-40% upwards of 50% when she's watered. *Night* - 35-40% About 45% ween she's watered
PH of Medium or Reservoir? I am not EXACLTY sure of the ph LEVEL. I did a soil test, which you can refer to in the picture below, and it looks like my soil isn't acidic enough. I believe it may be as high as 7 or 7.5! If anyone can help me diagnose by pictures, let me know. If not, I will get a meter
Any Pests? No
How Often are you Watering? Once every 3-4 Days, sometimes a bit longer(6 days)
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Miracle Gro potting mix. Whatever is standard levels for that
Size or Square Footage of Room? Very Small. Maybe 1 and 1/2 sq feet. I took two 12 pack soda boxes, and taped them together, 2 levels high, with a total of four boxes.

Hello all. This is my first time growing in a controlled environment. First, I will start off by telling you about my entire grow, then I will show you pictures, as well explain them. And SORRY for all the HUGE pictures! Just want to provide as much information as I can. This is just an unknown strain.

So from seedling, I grew them in a basic pot, with Miracle Gro potting mix. I am unsure of the levels, as I never checked it. Everything went well. Plant grew amazing, and has done so, up until the past week. She is about 6 weeks old, and into her vegetative stage. Now, to Tarrantino a little bit, I see a LOT, if not every Cannabis growing forum, recommending NOT to use Miracle Gro. My mother used them to start her Squash, and she told me there was nutrients, however I don't recall her telling me it was Miracle Gro, or I would have avoided it. Anyways, My leaves were healthy, but I noticed they started getting brown spots. At first I thought this was a heat issue, but I am only using 1600-3200(23w or 40w) 2700k Sylvania CFL bulb. I backed it away a bit, and gave some better air to the plant, and everything seemed to go fine. Then the middle leaf to my 1 of my bottom sets started to curl upwards. I thought it may be underwatered, as during earlier stage of growth, I did experience canoeing, but fixed it rather quickly. I started reading up, and narrowed it down to a Nutrient deficiency. Now, what I visualized to be the most similar, was a CALCIUM deficiency. Now, I do have equipment, but not EVERYTHING is state of the art. I will provide the best levels and information I can to help the diagnosis, which I am pretty sure is SHOCK + Nitrogen Deficiency. Now, since I started to notice what I thought was a CALCIUM deficiency, I read up. I found a thread stating that using Tomato plant food was an acceptable thing to do, as it has good calcium in it. The brand I got is Jobe's Organic Vegetable & Tomato from Lowe's. I also wanted to get it out of the Miracle Gro soil, so I bought regular Potting soil, and transferred it into a bigger pot. HERE, is where I started to notice problems.

I did EVERYTHING the directions said too, but now I feel I am STARVING my plant of Nitrogen. It said "For 4 inch seedlings, pour 1 1/2 TABLESPOONS into the hole, then fill with soil". Okay, No problem. I did that. I made sure all the soil was off the roots before I transplanted her. So when I first transferred her, she looked fine. I was using my 40w CFL, and noticed it was getting a bit hot, so I had brought it down to my 23w CFL a few days before transplant. Now, when I transferred, add the plant food, and got her nice and cozy, I put her back in her grow room, but this time I was "trying" an LED light. It is a 60w Sylvania LED grow light. It provided nice heat, so I thought it would be suitable. The first night, it seemed to be fine, although I switched it BACK to my CFL to be safe, so I didn't stress or shock the plant. Here is where I don't know if what I did actually DID stress this plant to horrible levels. So when I transferred, I fed immediately, and the soil was pretty moist, so I only gave her about a half a CUP of water to wet the food. I then also put her under the LED light for 3 hours before bed. I run on a digital timer, And she is set for 10PM sleep, and 4 am awaken. When she awoke, I noticed the LED bulb was running hotter, up to 85F, and up to 50% Humidity. Now while these are safe levels, I'm trying to keep it even so I can provide cool nights for it. I noticed she was drooping SO terribly. The leaves were weighing down, and were bending towards the stem. Another was curled UPRIGHT, so I knew something was going on. I was watching this over a course of an HOUR, and it got so bad, I switched the light back to the original 23w CFL, because I read that too much heat can stress it. I don't believe it was too much heat. So, I let her run a couple more days on her normal cycle, without watering, IN CASE it was an overwatering issue, but I am pretty sure It's a Nitrogen Deficiency.

Now I will tell you, and show you pictures, explaining, so I can help narrow down!

^ Here is her about a week ago, in her old pot, with the Miracle Gro potting soil. Notice the bottom leaves are burnt. I believe I did this with lighting, although it could have been nutrient burn. She was healthy, and you can BARELY start to see the Calcium deficiency. I know it's a deficiency because of the burning leaf tip ends almost INSTANTLY on my new growth. Now, during this week is when I was wanting to transplant her and get her into REGULAR POTTING SOIL. I got it from Lowe's. It's regular Countryside Elements Potting Soil. So, I transplanted her into a bigger pot, which you will see in a later picture, and fed her This, but only ONE Tablespoon! Make sure to right click and "View Image" to see the entire size, which will include showing directions!!!!

I did it just how it said it did. Pour it into the hole, which I only did 1 tblspoon, again, and then filled the hole with surrounding soil. Then like I said, the first night, she was fine with the LED light, and the next day I noticed SERIOUS drooping. I had everything setup fine. I'm running anywhere from 75-80F with 40-45% humidity, and slightly lower at night, with around 71F and 35-40% average humidity. Now, this is what She looks like. I feel like She is not getting enough, as the OTHER Miracle Gro soil had nutrients all throughout the soil, and this food is just directly in the hole. I could have stressed her. I'm not sure. I really need help. Everything I point to says Nitrogen Deficiency now. Where I know most Miracle Gro's have about 8-9% Nitrogen, this only has 2%. My question is, what can I do before 6 1/2 weeks is down the drain? Should I just put her back into the Miracle Gro? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I also tested the soil. I stole the kit, so I looked up the chart online. I don't think the pH in my soil is acidic enough. You be the judge of that if you wouldn't mind!

UPDATE:** I talked to a close friend, who is experienced in growth. After speaking with him, his conclusion was a FEW things.

1, It shocks or stresses a plant during transplant, no matter how careful you are. I expected this.
2, I gave it TOO much feed at the BASE of the root, which he basically said caused Root Shock, and my plant is in "lockout" mode
3, The soil was already decently moist, and I applied water DIRECTLY on the nutrients at the root, so not only did this shock it, it was WAY over-watered.
4. *Forgot to add* This plant is about 6 weeks old. He said it is DEFINITELY stunted in growth as well, which isn't the biggest of problems, obviously!

He said give it some time, as it's a weed, and pretty hard to kill, and basically when it's time to water it again, FLUSH it. He said then when it needs feeding, to dilute my solution and MAKE SURE the pH levels on the water are solid. Looks like I am going to be getting a pH pen!

I would LOVE to hear your suggestions/comments/opinions on HIS diagnosis, as well as YOUR OWN, and how to address it. Thank you very much guys!!!

Sounds like he is dead on cause you cooking them in ferts. I used to do this all the time. It sucks don't trust the labels on fert imo less is more.:Namaste: GL

Looks like some nutrient burn and also I would add more light if you can't get a hid or led than I would get a bunch of the highest watt CFL lights you can more blue in spectrum and some of the y type light socket splitters to create a CFL fixture keep the lights close I would flush the hell out of it so it doesn't keep getting burned up as well then start with 1/4 strength nutrients once it drys out

Looks like some nutrient burn and also I would add more light if you can't get a hid or led than I would get a bunch of the highest watt CFL lights you can more blue in spectrum and some of the y type light socket splitters to create a CFL fixture keep the lights close I would flush the hell out of it so it doesn't keep getting burned up as well then start with 1/4 strength nutrients once it drys out

Thank you so much for this. Yeah, I got some better topsoil. I ordered from FloraGro liquid nutes, as well as a pH balance. Turns out my soil was too high on the alkaline side. I'm talking upwards of 7.8. No bueno. I flushed her, and she seems to be doing better. I am going to flush her once more before the nutes arrive. I also bought some quality peat moss. I'm going to mix the compound, as this was an issue with over-watering as well. I dug out the topsoil, and the bottom was LITERALLY still soaking wet, with water on the plastic. I will make sure to get a great pot that drains and airs well. I also ended up getting an Auto Flower seed. Northern Light x Big Bud. I ordered from Pick N Mix. I saw a lot of OLD reviews saying they don't ship to the US, but I didn't see anything about it not shipping. It also said my order was shipped, so they better not rob me, lol. I'll add some nutes to her and get some more light in there. I have a 150 HPS, but I don't like using those strong ass lights. I will eventually be getting an LED panel light, but for now I'm going to keep the CFL's going. Thanks a bunch for the responses! Also read up that the EXTENDED RELEASE Miracle Gro is no good, but you can get away with using the other ones. Just releases at the wrong times obviously, and burns the hell out of it. My other seedling I started in just the topsoil. 2nd day and she's already shed her shell. Looking great. Once I get my good seed, I will start a grow journal!

Back
Top Bottom