2Water's 1st Grow

Wassup everyone, this is my first time growing. I had a budget of $800 including soil and nutes (I added in a sprayer and waterproof power strip as part of the set up along with pest management and LST tools). Everything came from Amazon.

Light: Linqool 240w led with lm301b diodes, and a 36w led black light 395nm
Tent: Zazzy Grows 3x3
Ventilation: Vivosum 4inch fan and filter combo and 2 x 6 inch Hurricane fans
20221207_223212.jpg

***dont mind the cords, trust I have that situation cleaned up, I had been taking final ppfd tests and needed them out of the way but readily adjustable, lol!

Growing in a supersoil/living soil mix. Base is Roots organic soil, coco coir, perlite, and some random lowes soil. Earth worm castings, Big foot mychorizae and Down to earth nutrients. I use 1.5 cups each of the 333 mix, Rose & Flower mix, and Acid mix. (Will be amending my mix with 1 cup Bio-Fish and 1 cup Vegan mix each grow). I plan on top dressing each pot with 2/3 cup each of Bio-Live and ewc.

Each pot I filled 1/3 with supersoil, then used a 2 liter bottle and filled more supersoil around it. In the well I created, i filled in with my base soil mix minus the Down to Earth nutes.

On Saturday I soaked 4 x MAC 1 seeds from expert seeds in fresh young coconut water. 12 hours later, all 4 sank and there were signs of discharge. I planted them in to their pots. I was worried about transplant shock and figured it would be easier to just plant them in their forever home.

I have been maintaining temperatures of 70-75 degrees F and RH of 75-80%.

Tuesday evening back right plant sprouted with some helmet head.
20221206_195335.jpg

Wednesday, both 2 left plants sprouted. I lightly scratched the surface in pot 4. If not sign by Saturday, I'm planning on scrapping her.
20221207_223252.jpg
20221207_223233.jpg

I am planning on mainlining 8 colas using garden stakes to help train. I would appreciate any tips, or pointing out anything I might be doing wrong. Thanks in advance! Here's how they look as of now.
20221207_223040.jpg
20221207_223101.jpg
20221207_223123.jpg
20221207_200205.jpg

Welcome to the Forum @2Water and congrats on lift-off for your first grow!

Those are pretty big pots for such small seedlings and proper watering is the biggest challenge most growers (especially new growers) face.

You have a few options. One is to learn how to water properly, which is complicated by that huge pot. In the future, starting off in a small pot and up-potting will be easier to grow the plants well and transplanting shouldn't create much of any setback if done correctly. To learn how to water properly, you can read This thread.

Second is you can structure the soil in your pot according to @Bill284 's method of layering additional layers of perlite with your regular mix which will ensure proper drainage.

Or third, you can skip the learning curve altogether and come join us in #SIPClub for perfect watering everyone since the plant waters itself. You'll get happier, healthier and larger plants with less effort.

Good luck with your grow. If you are looking for training ideas, I'm partial to Quadlining and you can find a link to that thread also in my signature. It doesn't slow the plant down very much since there's only one topping and then some LST (Low Stress Training) to help spread out the branches (and therefore the hormones) making for a larger harvest.

I grow organically so am looking forward to your grow.

Welcome to the Forum @2Water and congrats on lift-off for your first grow!

Those are pretty big pots for such small seedlings and proper watering is the biggest challenge most growers (especially new growers) face.

You have a few options. One is to learn how to water properly, which is complicated by that huge pot. In the future, starting off in a small pot and up-potting will be easier to grow the plants well and transplanting shouldn't create much of any setback if done correctly. To learn how to water properly, you can read This thread.

Second is you can structure the soil in your pot according to @Bill284 's method of layering additional layers of perlite with your regular mix which will ensure proper drainage.

Or third, you can skip the learning curve altogether and come join us in #SIPClub for perfect watering everyone since the plant waters itself. You'll get happier, healthier and larger plants with less effort.

Good luck with your grow. If you are looking for training ideas, I'm partial to Quadlining and you can find a link to that thread also in my signature. It doesn't slow the plant down very much since there's only one topping and then some LST (Low Stress Training) to help spread out the branches (and therefore the hormones) making for a larger harvest.

I grow organically so am looking forward to your grow.
Awesome information, I appreciate the links! SIPs will definitely be something to look into. Hopefully a budget friendly option is available. I am really starting to kick myself for not going the up-pot route, but hey only one way to learn! Thanks again!

Awesome information, I appreciate the links! SIPs will definitely be something to look into. Hopefully a budget friendly option is available. I am really starting to kick myself for not going the up-pot route, but hey only one way to learn! Thanks again!
On page 2 of the SIP thread I detail DIY options. You can build one for the cost of a regular bucket, a food storage container from the dollar store, and a short section of pipe assuming you have some way to make holes like a drill with drill bits. Super easy build and very effective.

But the learning never ends. I usually learn something new on here everyday.

On page 2 of the SIP thread I detail DIY options. You can build one for the cost of a regular bucket, a food storage container from the dollar store, and a short section of pipe assuming you have some way to make holes like a drill with drill bits. Super easy build and very effective.

But the learning never ends. I usually learn something new on here everyday.
Perfect. That is exactly what I need!

Hey guys, how much stretch is too much stretch? Might seem like a dumb question, but they seem to be growing taller pretty quickly. My wife is surprised every day, lol! Anyways, it is hard to compare by pictures in other posts, how much it too much?
If they are stretching too much you may need to move the light closer.
If they get too tall they become top heavy and can fall over.
That's too much.
You may need supports.
Like this.

PSX_20221210_025815.jpg

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

Good to know. Not going to up pot, already in 5 gallons, but I could top with more soil
You need to learn to fill a pot properly. :Namaste:
Those 3 inches of wasted space at the top of the pot can hold roots.
Plus you should hump the center for proper drainage.
It's all in my Heavens Shores thread.
Page 50 I think.
I'll check. Heavens Shores - Bill's 2022 Grow: Come Meet Howie! Show Us Your Grow Too - Bring A Pic
That's solo cup to 1 gal, but every pot imaginable is in there.
It's more important than people realize.
Also my methodprevents overwatering and promotes root growth and health.
Worth a read, :Namaste: :Namaste: :Namaste:
Take care my friend.

You need to learn to fill a pot properly. :Namaste:
Those 3 inches of wasted space at the top of the pot can hold roots.
Plus you should hump the center for proper drainage.
It's all in my Heavens Shores thread.
Page 50 I think.
I'll check. Heavens Shores - Bill's 2022 Grow: Come Meet Howie! Show Us Your Grow Too - Bring A Pic
That's solo cup to 1 gal, but every pot imaginable is in there.
It's more important than people realize.
Also my methodprevents overwatering and promotes root growth and health.
Worth a read, :Namaste: :Namaste: :Namaste:
Take care my friend.

Awesome, I will definitely give that a read!

Awesome, I will definitely give that a read!
I should change that first line it sounds bad. :Namaste:
I didn't mean anything bad, my apologies .

I should change that first line it sounds bad. :Namaste:
I didn't mean anything bad, my apologies .

Not at all, I totally didn't take it negatively! I can appreciate any insight from experienced growers. I have some extra supersoil that has been out in the cold, should I fill up pots with that? My wife would kill me if i run out and buy more stuff (ie extra perlite), I know not much, but she gave me a hard budget and I got to keep the misses happy🤣!

Not at all, I totally didn't take it negatively! I can appreciate any insight from experienced growers. I have some extra supersoil that has been out in the cold, should I fill up pots with that? My wife would kill me if i run out and buy more stuff (ie extra perlite), I know not much, but she gave me a hard budget and I got to keep the misses happy🤣!
Happy Wife :thumb:
They will stretch up and you can fill in around the stem leaving a little with the leaves sticking out.
Giving more room for roots.
Stick to your budget.
Use what you have.

Happy Wife :thumb:
They will stretch up and you can fill in around the stem leaving a little with the leaves sticking out.
Giving more room for roots.
Stick to your budget.
Use what you have.

Thanks again! Would nutrient burn be an issue with topping of with the super soil? Or would temp shock the pots? It has been raining since I got up, and outside temp is 54.

Thanks again! Would nutrient burn be an issue with topping of with the super soil? Or would temp shock the pots? It has been raining since I got up, and outside temp is 54.
Your in a controlled tent though right?
Top dressing with super soil shouldn't bother anything.
Soil temp is low though.
I'd defrost it for a day before I use it.
18c is perfect temp.

Back
Top Bottom