420 Girl Scout Cookie

Sorry to see that you've had a couple of false starts. I grow in DWC and have done six grows in the last two years (five autos, including a few GG's, and one photoperiod grow). My res is a SuperPonics 12XL which is a "35 gallon" res (28 gallons of nutes) and I grow just one plant at a time since that's pretty much all I can fit in a 2' x 4'.

Water height - I keep water level below the bottom of the net pot. An inch or ½" is sufficient. Per Shed, the idea is that the bubbles from the air pump will wet the hydroton. That's conventional wisdom. I don't put a lot of faith in that because plant roots are sensitive to gravity so they're not "attracted to the water" by some mysterious force; I top feed until roots hit the water; and I don't recall bubbles that jump high enough to wet the body of a net pot. That would be a "fountain" and that's definitely not happening…

Bucket size - I think you'll get better results from a 7 gallon bucket than a 3.5 gallon. As best I can tell, a plant in a smaller bucket will simply be a smaller plant. Advantages of going to a larger bucket are - bigger harvest; fewer refills of the res; more stable pH.

Light - as you've said 583µmols is low for flower. I grow in "high light" - check my grow journals for the numbers - so I get my plants to the light saturation point as quickly as possible. I use an Apogee for a PAR meter and a Uni-T if I want to use lux. After tested Photone a couple of times and, having traded a few "programmer to programmer" emails (I've been writing software for a living, including a three year stint for Apple, for > 30 years), I recommend that growers use an Apogee or a Uni-T.

Cannabis can be vegged using a 24/0 light cycle. The plant itself doesn't care though even Bugbee says that "they could use a break". I run 24/0 until they're well established in veg and drop to 20/4 after that. When I did autos, I used 20/4, or thereabouts, through the duration of the grow. That worked fine.

Re. root rot - I use a water chiller set to 68° + Hydroguard. If you're not using bennies of some kind and/or keeping water temps in the high 60's, you're asking for trouble. Hydroguard is cheap, starting grows over isn't.

Re. 85° air temp - key values for growing cannabis are air temp and RH ===> VPD. At 85 and 30, your VPD is in the "dry as a bone" region. Google VPD chart for more info. Best single source on VPD that I've found is here (I used their PulseOne for 5 grows and then switched to the AC Infinity Controller 69, for myriad reasons). With VPD as high as it was, your plant is transpiring at a very high rate which sends water uptake through the roof and makes it much harder for your plants to get the right nutes. Things will go more smoothly if you can get VPD into the 1.0 range in veg.

I guess, besides those points, nothing really comes to mind. :)

BTW if you're in SoCal, I've got hardware for which I need to find a good home. After getting the Controller 69, I don't use my PulseOne anymore and I have no use for my Inkbird temperature, the RH controller, and a couple of humidifiers. If those might be of help, let me know.

RO filter - remove everything but the H and two 0's. A lot of growers use tap water if the water supply is stable and PPM out of the tap is < X (?). My approach to growing is to "remove the variables" so I bought an RO unit. The water coming out is 0 PPM, consistently, but that has zero impact on mold/mildew. Silica does improve plant health, one mechanism is that it makes them less susceptible to disease. Even Bugbee is a fan. Based on the posting from that Shed-fellow, I mix my own.

Thank you for the information Delps. My situation was due to my air pump having busted diaphragms from setting my bucket on top of the airline. Also, I have the problem of growing plants bigger than I should or need to. I'm a really small grower LOL. My setup is a really basic one, although I have added things to it over the years to make it more convenient.
That is a really nice gesture for the equipment, however don't need it, But you have a kind heart and I am sure that there is someone out there in need that will be very grateful for it. That 32 Gal REZ in a 2X4 sounds incredible. I wouldn't even be able to keep up with a plant that big! I'm going to go over and check it out.

Seedling Stage
Average PAR: 153 μmols/M²/sec @ 18/6
Veg+Bloom @ EC 1.12
PH: 5.7
Humidity: 70%
Temperature: 79 F

Well I was able to replace the diaphragms in the air pump and it is now humming along again. The tent is stable and the humidity is in check.
GGL00002.JPG

GGL00001.JPG

Now that everything is back in sync, I can focus on another topic...

How To Remove The Grill On AC Infinity Oscillating Fan For Cleaning.
GGL00004.JPG

I do like these fans. They have clips that easily attach to the poles on your tent frame holding it securely. It has 10 power levels making it easy to set the exact amount of air of virtually any situation. They can also be connected to the AC Infinity controller as part of a growing program.
The issue that I had with them was how am I going to clean them when the time comes?
AC Infinity states that the design naturally repels dirt allowing them to remain clean.

Yeah right.

So after about 2 months, and with annoying dust building up on the fan blades, I looked into if they are able to be taken part for cleaning. No information on the net. Even the AC Infinity rep didn't seem to know, so I did what any engineer would do. I busted out my pick and pry tools and started picking. And prying.
GGL00014.JPG

There is a small seam where the gold ring meets the fan grill. I was thinking that this may have been glued due to there being no screw holes but it isn't.

GGL00005.JPG

Start by placing the pry tool into the seam and work it around the entire ring. You should hear each one of the clips click as it releases. Once you go all the way around, the ring should separate.

GGL00017.JPG

Next, there will be small slots on the housing which will release the clips when you press the black, more narrow pry tool into the slot.

GGL00020.JPG
GGL00022.JPG

Once you have popped all of the clips, the grill should come off allowing you to clean to inside of the grill as well as the fan blades.

GGL00023.JPG

How To Remove The Grill On AC Infinity Oscillating Fan For Cleaning.

GGL00004.JPG

I do like these fans. They have clips that easily attach to the poles on your tent frame holding it securely. It has 10 power levels making it easy to set the exact amount of air of virtually any situation. They can also be connected to the AC Infinity controller as part of a growing program.
The issue that I had with them was how am I going to clean them when the time comes?
AC Infinity states that the design naturally repels dirt allowing them to remain clean
Pics didn't load. :(

Love the 'pull it apart and see' thinking - I do that all the time
Very anti chucking away something like a washing machine just because the plastic clip on the door broke
Seedling's looking good 🤞
Why thank you Roy. When I was a kid, my parents would buy me electronics only to find that I had taken all of them apart a few weeks later because "I wanted to see how it worked" And it never changed I guess. If I can see a seam or opening of any kind I'm going to try and get it open. 🧐

Why thank you Roy. When I was a kid, my parents would buy me electronics only to find that I had taken all of them apart a few weeks later because "I wanted to see how it worked" And it never changed I guess. If I can see a seam or opening of any kind I'm going to try and get it open. 🧐
Yeah - I remember when my parents threw out the black & white TV I took it back into my bedroom and dismantled it
While I was fiddling with it, I accidentally touched a [cathode tube] capacitor
The shock not only sent me flying across the room, it split the end of my finger too
That would probably kill me now, but great fun as a kid

Yeah - I remember when my parents threw out the black & white TV I took it back into my bedroom and dismantled it
While I was fiddling with it, I accidentally touched a [cathode tube] capacitor
The shock not only sent me flying across the room, it split the end of my finger too
That would probably kill me now, but great fun as a kid
Oh wow I bet that was a jolt to the ego. I'm sorry I couldn't resist.

Seedling Stage
Average PAR: 229 μmols/M²/sec @ 18/6
Veg+Bloom @ EC 0.84
PH: 5.7
Humidity: 67%

Temperature: 79

Reduced red spectrum due to stretching and increased light output to 229 μmols.

GGL00005.JPG
GGL00002.JPG
GGL00001.JPG

Seedling Stage
Average PAR: 229 μmols/M²/sec @ 18/6
Veg+Bloom @ EC 0.94
PH: 5.8
Humidity: 66%
Temperature: 77

Things are starting to move quickly now. I tend to forget that and let the plant get too big for this very small 3.5g bucket. So I marked the calendar this time. I plan on flipping on July 9. That gives her 2 weeks of veg.
She is looking a little pale so I am going to start slowly raising the EC.

GGL00002.JPG
GGL00003.JPG
GGL00004.JPG
GGL00005.JPG
GGL00006.JPG
GGL00007.JPG
GGL00009.JPG
GGL00010.JPG

Vegetative Stage
Average PAR: 335 μmols/M²/sec @ 18/6
Veg+Bloom @ EC 1.09
PH: 5.8
Humidity: 65%
Temperature: 79

Leaf Temperature: 77

I started this months ago now just to test out my new light, and after 2 setbacks, the 3rd time is the charm.

I'm currently raising the EC slowly to get to 2.0 by the time I get to flower. I am also going to start meassuring leaf temperature because my temps tend to get a little high during flower. My ideal humidity is 70% but I'm only at 65% so I will keep an eye on it.

GGL00007.JPG
GGL00002.JPG
GGL00003.JPG
GGL00005.JPG

Back
Top Bottom