A critical look at preharvest flushing

But why does the weed spark/crackle/not burn? A bad dry/cure wouldnt do that.. considering I've microwave and oven dried my weed before and had none of this. Is it possible... just MAYBE that the flush actually does do something?

But why does the weed spark/crackle/not burn? A bad dry/cure wouldnt do that.. considering I've microwave and oven dried my weed before and had none of this. Is it possible... just MAYBE that the flush actually does do something?

Sure. So would starving your kid for a few days, right before you weigh him. You're missing my point.

Yeah, if you want to flush, do it. It's WAY better than not overfeeding your @%*^ plants. If you ever grow a cannabis plant outdoors, in the ground, better make sure to have the local fire department bring one of their water tank trucks round your way so you can flush it with a few hundred gallons (err... its pot is bigger than your indoor ones :rolleyes: ).

Twelve year old thread and people are still debating. Or maybe they just saw its title and started posting - instead of reading post #1 in it, IDFK. . . .

Yeah, I was probably a little rude before I went back and edited my post (apologies). I was just trying to get the point across that properly grown/fed cannabis shouldn't need any kind of flushing or starvation diet (beyond the normal common sense lessening of nutrients late in flower). If the guy you're getting your bud off of is the same farmer who force-feeds ducks via gastric lavage so that he can torture them for a while and then sell their livers to some overpriced restaurant, though, I suppose different rules might apply.

Again, I'm sorry for getting a little frustrated earlier. It's been happening seemingly every time I stopped "watching for it" all week; I don't know why, but the failing is undoubtedly mine.

Sure. So would starving your kid for a few days, right before you weigh him. You're missing my point.

Yeah, if you want to flush, do it. It's WAY better than not overfeeding your @%*^ plants. If you ever grow a cannabis plant outdoors, in the ground, better make sure to have the local fire department bring one of their water tank trucks round your way so you can flush it with a few hundred gallons (err... its pot is bigger than your indoor ones :rolleyes: ).

Twelve year old thread and people are still debating. Or maybe they just saw its title and started posting - instead of reading post #1 in it, IDFK. . . .
cant beat a a good old masdebate to clear the air, seems to excite a lot of folks to vocalise their feelings too. lol. i am 100% with you here. bring on the monsoon season, my crops have ripened !!
cannibal mother eats herself to keep her buds alive until total exhaustion with slow ,uncut drying

Lemme go back and catch up lol. Ts this is still a highly debated topic here. Hence my recent post. And please.... Los and salt based ferts are not comparable for the topic of flushing. You dont flush soil it rinses away good microbes and disrupts symbiotic relationships.

Thanks for this interesting thread, much valuable information here. If (as in my case) the grow is not in soil but DWC, would it be enough to lower nutes in the last weeks of flowering stage? How many ppm's would be enough for that late stage without flushing?

I’ve never flushed. Basically in the end when it needs water just add regular ro to my buckets. So there is always nutrients there but low numbers. I believe optimally the taste come from the drying process. And the cure. Not the flush. But with hydro and soil there could be unseen differences. As long as you trim really well and dry her to about 60% humidity. Then jar for 3 weeks then add a boveda. You can’t go wrong

Thanks for this interesting thread, much valuable information here. If (as in my case) the grow is not in soil but DWC, would it be enough to lower nutes in the last weeks of flowering stage? How many ppm's would be enough for that late stage without flushing?
If your plant has not gotten enough nutes to finish out well by two weeks from the end, you did something wrong. The end of the grow period is death. The plant knows that death is coming and that it needs to put its all into completing the buds. Plain water in that last two weeks helps the plant realize this as well as clean up all the left over nutes laying around. It also allows the roots to have unrestricted uptake of water so as to allow those buds to double in size in that last two weeks. I believe it changes the taste of the final product too... I hate smoking FF nutes or magnesium.... I can taste them, no matter what the popular myth about not needing to flush says. My advice is to try it both ways, and make up your own mind, instead of listening to people arguing about it.

I'm about to harvest in a week and i didn't do my normal flush because of this thread. I did do 2 weeks of super diluted nute water but I didn't run anymore water through the buckets than i normally would when watering in other weeks. I wonder of there will be any difference.

@Icemann420 : thanks for the reply, I finally flushed a week ago, I am using the water that comes from the dehumidifier (less than 8 ppm) and hope this is enough as my pH meter was coitus and is under repair. I cured my previous (and first) grow for a month in jars and it is smooth and tastes fine. What do you mean by "add a boveda"? Sorry, English is not my maternal language ...

@Emilya : thanks, that's very interesting information. In the previous weeks from flushing I kept 800 ppm and even gave a blooming enhancer, I hope the plant was well fed as maybe I flushed it too early (nine days ago) and the two weeks limit is too close. Still no amber trichomes and yet I can see some shiny ones. I know I should experience by myself, but with just one plant at a time I don't want to mess with problems due to my ignorance, right now I am learning and any advice or well written info is always useful. The leaves are not already yellow but light green, I attach some pics in case it may help to see if it will be finally hungry or not, cheers ...

IMG_2636.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

The end of the grow period is death.

Yeah, because we kill them before their natural time, lol.

The plant knows that death is coming and that it needs to put its all into completing the buds.

As cannabis plants' true EoL approaches, many (most? all?) females will produce opposite-sex flowers - because what they're actually doing is attempting to complete their primary function, which is to produce the next generation of plants (seeds).

Thanks Icemann420, didn't know they even existed. Fortunately, I live on the coast and have not that kind of problem. A perfect cure as you say is essential to enjoy the flavor and smoothness, still will have to try one day if flushing also helps or not, cheers ...

Read this whole thread from front to back trying to get a definitive answer. A no go. Actually good arguments for both sides. As I am a week or two away from cropping out I was hoping for something more positive. My head and some old time and maybe outdated advise are telling me to flush so flush I shall.

I’ve never flushed. Basically in the end when it needs water just add regular ro to my buckets. So there is always nutrients there but low numbers. I believe optimally the taste come from the drying process. And the cure. Not the flush. But with hydro and soil there could be unseen differences. As long as you trim really well and dry her to about 60% humidity. Then jar for 3 weeks then add a boveda. You can’t go wrong
Iceman you nailed it , I am smoking some weed that has been in jars and 62 % bovida packs for 11 months now (dark , cool area -fruit cellar ) and it still smokes terrific -sweet taste , burns a nice creamy white ash and a dense smoke it's all in the opening and closing the jars daily (burping ) and adding new bovida packs occasionally . I have never flushed a plant to date yet .

Fav quote of the thread :) spit my coffee out hehhehehe "So would starving your kid for a few days, right before you weigh him. "

Back
Top Bottom