A Good Old Fashioned RedHotChiliPepper Grow Off

Here is where they are at so far. Likely need a higher temp and possibly humidity for the Carolinas. I may set them up in a different location but I see at least 10 that have come to life so far.
20200519_201526.jpg

Looking damn good. Crazy that they're producing so much fruit already.

Mine have finally started popping flower buds but I've pinched them off for now. I want them to grow up and out a bit more before they start producing. I actually was not expecting the leaves on these to get as big as they have. Guess I have a lot more to learn about growing anything really. lol

I had some stunting with root growth for a while, had some things come up and wasn't really able to take care of them. But they seem like they've rebounded well and are definitely adding weight every day.

20200729_214926.jpg

Got only 2 of these Trinidad Scorpion Chilies so far. Picked them a bit early because it didn't seem to want to grow any more. Did plant it late (mid July) , got it from a greenhouse & put in 3 gallon pot. c/p It has an average rating of 1,200,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU) with the hottest Trinidad Scorpions measuring 2,009,231 SHU. So, although the Carolina Reaper is generally hotter than the Trinidad Scorpion, sometimes the Trinidad Scorpion wins for heat.
I can at least keep it in the greenhouse during frost, maybe get a few more
IMG_2116.JPG

Love the weird shape of them at the right angle they have a T shape guess that's why they call them Tpeppers IMG_2125.JPGIMG_2126.JPG
Got a nice bag of habaneros but had to pick early cause of frost warning
Still got some in the greenhouse & covered some hoping to get them to turn on plant
IMG_2124.JPG

I lost just about every plant to bugs and other critters this year. Got one tiny tomato plant that has provided three tomatoes each slightly larger than a golf ball. Looks like I'll get a half-dozen or so more, if my luck holds out. No peppers at all. Mom has picked a dozen or so, and I've eaten three of those while visiting. Nothing hot, though, just a couple jalepenos and one wimpy orange habenero.

It's nice to see that someone had a decent garden this year. How are those Trinidad scorpions? Good flavor, or just hot?

Picked the last batch of burning bush habanero peppers. Best year yet, plants grew super short & tight, but produced the biggest peppers to date. Will be saving seeds from these one's
IMG_2314.JPG

Hello pepperheads!

I suck at growing most fruits and veggies so pre-apologies for whatever fresh hell of idiocy I am about to unleash upon the more experienced.

Last year I got decent habs, but my corno del toros, shishitos, and red king of the north all got weird black soft spots. I never got my little lemon drops to pop at all.

This year I've been more careful starting these from seed and so far I'm doing better than last year:

View media item 1823181
I've added hatches and some reapers I saved seeds from that my friend gave me (these are most likely unviable since he froze them but what the hell, right?).

I started them in fox farms ocean forest with distilled water. I feel it's a little hot for them but it's left over from getting my cannabis garden ready and yeah...first thing I grabbed. Going forward I'll dedicate more time to my food garden prep. SO...I made up some transplant soil.

I took the rest of the FFOF and added perlite and peat moss roughly in a 2:blushsmile:1 ratio. Looking through this thread resulted in the peat moss addition. If anyone has additional tips and tricks, critiques, witty insults...whatever....have at!

View media item 1823176Just FFOF and perlite

View media item 1823180FFOF, perlite, and peat moss

Much appreciated and thank you ahead of time <3

First off I would get rid of those fugus, mold producing wood sticks
I use card stock covered with tape, for labels (bulk printed) or plastic strips for singles
I would add more peat , also some leaf compost, & sandy soil , smash up some of them eggshells for calcium , ( why you got black spots or blight } Keep on a good water schedule not over wet or over dry also bit of bone meal

IMG_2809.JPG

Hello pepperheads!

I suck at growing most fruits and veggies so pre-apologies for whatever fresh hell of idiocy I am about to unleash upon the more experienced.

Last year I got decent habs, but my corno del toros, shishitos, and red king of the north all got weird black soft spots. I never got my little lemon drops to pop at all.

This year I've been more careful starting these from seed and so far I'm doing better than last year:

View media item 1823181
I've added hatches and some reapers I saved seeds from that my friend gave me (these are most likely unviable since he froze them but what the hell, right?).

I started them in fox farms ocean forest with distilled water. I feel it's a little hot for them but it's left over from getting my cannabis garden ready and yeah...first thing I grabbed. Going forward I'll dedicate more time to my food garden prep. SO...I made up some transplant soil.

I took the rest of the FFOF and added perlite and peat moss roughly in a 2:blushsmile:1 ratio. Looking through this thread resulted in the peat moss addition. If anyone has additional tips and tricks, critiques, witty insults...whatever....have at!

View media item 1823176Just FFOF and perlite

View media item 1823180FFOF, perlite, and peat moss

Much appreciated and thank you ahead of time <3
Are you planting in pots or the ground better off in the ground if you have the space
I see a lot of grass in your pics .I tell people that have weed & grass yards to dig a hole & plant pot few inches into ground to let roots grow through drainage holes (mini raised beds )

works great for tomato, peppers, cucs ,& pumpkins

Just a couple Jalapeno planned for the hot peppers.

Other peppers will be the good ol' standard California Wonders, maybe 4 to 6 plants.

Then some not hot peppers that look like the hot ones. About 10-12 plants of Fooled You Jalapeno. And, about the same number of the Habanada Peppers, orange fruited. I can them fake Habanaros. And I found another fake Habanaro which is a red color.

Are you planting in pots or the ground better off in the ground if you have the space
I see a lot of grass in your pics .I tell people that have weed & grass yards to dig a hole & plant pot few inches into ground to let roots grow through drainage holes (mini raised beds )

works great for tomato, peppers, cucs ,& pumpkins
All that grass covers 6" of concrete. Makes the chicken coop super secure :D Containers only in this area of the property. This year I'm putting them into last year's cannabis fabric pots which were 20 or 25 gallon.

if you can put them up against a south wall the heat will be reflected back at night
Mom fills her whisky barrels halves with about 8-10 plants & they do good

If you leave them fabric pots on the ground they will root threw & grow on top of the concrete.
roots like to be free & go were they want to go
I planted at the neighbors, under landscape rock & did well
I looked up that FFOF soil & see it is a hot soil ( bat poo & worm poo & crabs skeletons ) you may want to trans plant early if stunted & they don't want to grow

if you can put them up against a south wall the heat will be reflected back at night
Mom fills her whisky barrels halves with about 8-10 plants & they do good

If you leave them fabric pots on the ground they will root threw & grow on top of the concrete.
roots like to be free & go were they want to go
I planted at the neighbors, under landscape rock & did well
I looked up that FFOF soil & see it is a hot soil ( bat poo & worm poo & crabs skeletons ) you may want to trans plant early if stunted & they don't want

Thank you! I already started up-potting into the peat/perlite/FFOF mix. If need be I'll grab some bagged normal person veggie soil.

Back
Top Bottom