A question for you LED guys

Lazarus13

Ok, let me start by apologizing because I'm sure this has been discussed at length elsewhere in these forums. I am working off of my phone at the moment and it can be tricky to navigate so instead of digging i thought I'd just ask. I am gearing up for a new adventure. I've been using cfls up to this point because i am on a tight budget. I have a little extra play money and was going to buy a small HID lamp but I am really interested in LED with additional cfl support. I have done a little research and have found 2 lights that are within my budget and wanted to see if any of you could offer me your opinions/advice.
The lights I'm looking at are a Mars Hydro Mars300 and the Galaxy Hydro 300 watt full spectrum.
I have a small area to work with (approx. 3'x2'x5') and from what I've read that wattage and some cfl sidelights should be good enough for a starter.
From reading a butt-ton of reviews from different sources and reading the specs I'm leaning towards the Galaxy. It seems (again only from what I've read) that it runs a little cooler which is a plus for me because my area is smallish and i dont have a big budget for an inline cooling fan (nor would my girlfriend appreciate the sound of a jet warming up in our bedroom at night). Thats one of the things i was worried about with a HID along side power consumption.
There are so many differing opinions online about LEDs and their efficiency at growing anything wothwhile and what the best is and what colors are the best and if star-bellied sneetches really ARE the best sneetches... It is very easy to become overwhelmed for the beginner.
Any help you folks could offer would be very appreciated. I'm wanting to make my choice by early next week so i can get my order in and be crackin some eggs in 2 or 3 weeks.
Thanks all, stay green.:thanks:

Ok, let me start by apologizing because I'm sure this has been discussed at length elsewhere in these forums. I am working off of my phone at the moment and it can be tricky to navigate so instead of digging i thought I'd just ask. I am gearing up for a new adventure. I've been using cfls up to this point because i am on a tight budget. I have a little extra play money and was going to buy a small HID lamp but I am really interested in LED with additional cfl support. I have done a little research and have found 2 lights that are within my budget and wanted to see if any of you could offer me your opinions/advice.
The lights I'm looking at are a Mars Hydro Mars300 and the Galaxy Hydro 300 watt full spectrum.
I have a small area to work with (approx. 3'x2'x5') and from what I've read that wattage and some cfl sidelights should be good enough for a starter.
From reading a butt-ton of reviews from different sources and reading the specs I'm leaning towards the Galaxy. It seems (again only from what I've read) that it runs a little cooler which is a plus for me because my area is smallish and i dont have a big budget for an inline cooling fan (nor would my girlfriend appreciate the sound of a jet warming up in our bedroom at night). Thats one of the things i was worried about with a HID along side power consumption.
There are so many differing opinions online about LEDs and their efficiency at growing anything wothwhile and what the best is and what colors are the best and if star-bellied sneetches really ARE the best sneetches... It is very easy to become overwhelmed for the beginner.
Any help you folks could offer would be very appreciated. I'm wanting to make my choice by early next week so i can get my order in and be crackin some eggs in 2 or 3 weeks.
Thanks all, stay green.:thanks:

First off, I think its good to start off with these lighting systems, however the plant gets bigger. Better spend an extra few bucks and go with mine. You get the most ultimate canopy penetration. The Light is far more superior than any other optics on the market.

Thanks for the input. I can't find much on them. How much extra are we talking? My budget is pretty tight and i was thinking, since i have a small setup with only 1 or 2 plants at a time, if i scrog or lst to keep the flowering sites open to the light i should be able to do ok with the others i mentioned until my assets become a bit more liquid. If its not astronomically more than i will certainly look into it as an option.

Mars-Hydro is a 420Mag sponsor, and many satisfied members are using their panels. :cheesygrinsmiley: They even have a rep who has her own thread here and will assist with any issues you may have.

Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

First off, I think its good to start off with these lighting systems, however the plant gets bigger. Better spend an extra few bucks and go with mine. You get the most ultimate canopy penetration. The Light is far more superior than any other optics on the market.

Don't listen to him, never even heard of the lights he is talking about, likely just someone from that company. The Mars Hydro 300 is a great light for the price. I believe they can be had for around $65 brand new right now. I would only run two plants at a time in your space. You will run a shorter veg time to keep them shorter.

The reason you haven't heard of them is because its a fairly new company.
If you don't believe me, they have their specs listed online, unlike most of the lights that come from China, they use the latest LED technology... and I believe they are the best. And no, I don't work for the company, I just know people who use their lights very successfully.
:thanks:

Since what you posted is just a cob I would rather trust a company that has been around longer if I were interested in cob lights. I don't see anything that makes these more special than any other cob lights.

And at 62 bucks a MH130 true watt light is a steal. It will have no problems with penetration it has 5w LEDs.

Also KIngoro420 you have 5 posts on the whole forum and every single one is recommending one of those companies' lights. Try a little harder to hide being a company representative or better yet tell the company to put their money where their mouth is, become a forum sponsor, send me some lights and I will happy to do a demo grow for them.

My head is spinning. I've been reading specs and product reviews for 2 hours and there are so many differing opinions. Money is tight so i really want to make the most informed decision i can and get the best bang for my buck. Now I've come across one on amazon thats in my price range that says its a 420 mag favorite the WYZM ZNET 4 350 watt full spectrum. Anyone familiar with this. I am liking what I've read about mars on this and other sites but im thinking maybe shelling out a little more for a 350 watt is my best bet. Damn this is confusing. LoL. If it comes down to it I'll biy one mars 300 and supplement with cfls until i can afford another mars around tax time. Thanks for your patience with this gents.

My head is spinning. I've been reading specs and product reviews for 2 hours and there are so many differing opinions. Money is tight so i really want to make the most informed decision i can and get the best bang for my buck. Now I've come across one on amazon thats in my price range that says its a 420 mag favorite the WYZM ZNET 4 350 watt full spectrum. Anyone familiar with this. I am liking what I've read about mars on this and other sites but im thinking maybe shelling out a little more for a 350 watt is my best bet. Damn this is confusing. LoL. If it comes down to it I'll biy one mars 300 and supplement with cfls until i can afford another mars around tax time. Thanks for your patience with this gents.
You can get two Marshydro 300w (130 true watt) lights for the same price as the wyzm.

The Mars light i found is 89.99 and the wyzm is 129.99. Where is the mars light cheaper so i can look there?

Hi Laz,

About 2 weeks ago I switched from CFL to Mars II Hydrow 300 watt LEDs. I got 4 of them for $63.00 each from the sight mentioned above. I could not be happier with them. It would be quite wise for you to ease into LEDs by starting out with, as mentioned above, a company with a solid reputation and a GREAT entry level price point. LEDs can cost as much as a used car, so until you know EVERYTHING you need to know to invest that much money, you should start out easy, manageable, and affordable.
Plus, these forums are full of people using these LEDs. Most growers will eventually move on to bigger and better lights but the also don't spend much time complaining about the MARS lights.
Good luck, I know exactly what you are going through.

Found 2 300 watts from seller marshydro right around the price you mentioned. I'll be placing my order this weekend. Thanks again for helping me dig through some of this oberload of info.

Found 2 300 watts from seller marshydro right around the price you mentioned. I'll be placing my order this weekend. Thanks again for helping me dig through some of this oberload of info.

go with the Mars good starter light at a great starter price best thing they do work well for the price

I'm waiting on my bonus from work to hit the ol' bank account. The company i work for likes to drag their feet a little when it comes to paying out whats owed. lol If the funds are not on this week it looks like they will be put off til the end of January. I just popped the cork on a trial run of my new top fed dwc system under cfls and hope to be able to have the leds by the 2nd or 3rd week of veg at the latest.

Update: my funds came through tonight so i will be ordering my 2 300w old style mars lights just in time to get things started. Thanks again for the info you guys have given. I'm excited!

Back
Top Bottom