Aberration's Mixed-Strain First Grow - 2009

Aberration

Hi :welcome:

I'm Aberration. I'm growing for the first time.

Well,... not counting the time I tried to grow a seed 20-some-odd years ago under a 60 watt bulb in a closet. But since the cotyledons were the only leaves it ever grew, I think it doesn't count.

This time around I did some homework first. Also I've been a medical mj user legally in my state for just over two years and spent that time watching my grower. I'm happy to take control of my cannabis future. And a bit intimidated.

So a quick description of my grow space is in order.

I built a 9x18 room off of my garage. Permits and everything. 2 x 240VAC, 30A circuits, 3 4-wire outlets each. 2 x 120VAC circuits, 20A, 10 outlets between them. There are 6 outlets of both types on the walls, and 4 120's on the ceiling, which is 9' high.

The walls are 2x6, or double staggered 2x4, insulated and drywalled. All penetrations are sealed, all surfaces are painted white with anti-mold/mildew paint. Floor is sealed and painted with garage floor paint, also white. I have divided it in half to provide grow space for 6 flowering and 18 vegging plants, plus whatever other cool (and legal) plants I throw in there.

Air is carbon filtered both in and out. I have heat and AC. The bloom side has a dehumidifier and a third carbon filter and fan just to keep it clean. The are 2 reciprocating fans on the walls. I have controls for heating, cooling and humidity as well as separate gauges.

I have a large CO2 tank, with regulator and controller, and the ballasts are actually in the other room with a fan on them.

I have 4 large glass hoods with nice specular reflector, hinged and gasketed glass and 8 inch vents. They are all ducted together and wired to the same 30A timer, as are the fans and other stuff that runs only during the day. 1 lamp is a HiLUX GRO 600W MH conversion bulb with a HPS ballast (mag, like the other 3). The other three ring it and have GE Lucalox PSL 600W HPS bulbs.

I still have not assembled the 3x6 flood table in the veg side, but I have done that before growing kitchen herbs in a spare bedroom. I'll get to it soon.

Currently, only the MH bulb is on, 24x7, 2ft above the plants. There are six. I'm guessing they are 3-5 weeks old. I've had them for 8 days. The temp is a steady 74 deg F, humidity fluctuates but mostly sub-50. Here they are now:

SS853077_Medium_.JPG

Counter-clockwise, from the bottom-left: Purple Sage, Matanuskan Thunderfuck, Snow Bud, Kaia Kush, Lavender, and the last one is almost certainly Afgooey, but may be Pot of Gold (the person I got it from was unsure). They are currently the following heights, respectively: 8", 6", 8", 11" 8", and 6".

They are in an unknown custom soil-less mix, and I am using Harvest Moon Organics nutrients and supplements, according to instructions. At the moment, I hand-water when they get dry. I check the soil and the weight to determine dryness.

---

Whoa.

I seem to understand everything so far, but I fear some type of impending doom. I'll be happy just to keep all of these alive long enough to get a little bud. But I have the whole first experience in front of me.

This should be a good laugh. I will take advice gratefully. I think I already need to deal with fungus gnats and a little nute burn, so I'm off to a rollicking start.

Tomorrow, I'll get something with Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis for the gnats, and if the burn continues, I'll flush. I first noticed it last night when I was feeding, but it doesn't seem to have progressed any in 24 hours. There are burn spots on the some leaves on one (the lavender), and burned leaf tips sprinkled all over. I'd rather just let it be if the burning is done and just water it without nutes next time. Then I'll back off of the nutes some.

I hope I can post regularly enough. I know how much it sucks when the grower keeps disappearing. I'll try to not be that guy.

:rollit:

Re: Aberration's Mixed-Strain *First Grow* - 2009

Hey, hey!

yes_1.JPG

Not much to say.

Except that there is some of this on the lavender:

SS853085_Medium_.JPG

Looks like burn to me. The tips are dying back a bit too. Or were, rather. It doesn't seem to be progressing and it's already shaded by the ones above. I think it'll live. As for the fungus gnats, I got Bt-i today, and I'll use it when I feed tomorrow. Today is too early for the smaller plants, including the poor lavender. The Kaia Kush grew an inch since last night. :D

peace

They're looking good. The burn is over I think. I gave them a good flush with pH balanced water and Bt-i. I mixed up some Azatrol to foliar feed with, but I think I'll wait til tomorrow to hit them with it.

I also made a list of various kitchen implements I need:

• Wooden spoons
  • Measuring spoons
  • Towels
  • Colanders
  • Buckets
  • Garbage bags to fit 5 gal bucket
  • Array of funnels

I found that a plastic colander we have in our kitchen bridges across a 5 gallon bucket nicely. I can set a small-to-medium-sized pot into it and when I flush/drench it drains into the bucket. I think I got it at Walmart. If I can find them, I'll buy 6, and matching buckets, so I can do this process easier. I could set them all up and give it to them, then let them drain and place back in their trays after they stop dripping.

I also need to perma-mark some measurements on the side of the 1 gal. pitcher I bought.

Now I'm headed in to dust mop and wet mop. This will be the first time I've wet mopped as the floor paint could not be made wet or scrubbed for 30 days after application. Yoinks! It's not too bad, since most everything since has been done in bare socks, on moving blankets or with soft rubber soled non-marking shoes until just before these girlies came home.

Then if my wife's not in need of attention, I'll finish wiring the CO2 power and put up some much needed shelves. The clutter is driving me nuts.

Edit: Forgot to mention, tomorrow I don't have to go to work, so hopefully I'll find time to post about my setup. I gave an overview in the OP, but there's a lot more to see. I'm anxious to get opinions. The whole room was built, quite literally from the dirt up, for growing pot. You'll see. :D

Here's some background:

Built this from the ground up. Obtained permits. Dug the foundation, poured footings and foundation walls:

SS852321.JPG

It is 18'x9' with 9' ceilings. We poured a floor:

SS852405.JPG

Framed it up with 2x6 walls:

SS852491.JPG

Added Tyvek, siding, and paint to match the rest of the house:

SS852539.JPG

Cut a door in to connect the addition to the existing garage:

SS852556.JPG

Put up trusses:

SS852571.JPG

Tie the new roof on the right to the existing one on the left:

SS852587.JPG

Added a 100A sub panel. Out of it, 2 30A 240VAC circuits and 2 20A 120VAC circuits are for the grow space:

SS852608.JPG

For the wall between garage and grow, I staggered 2x4s with the ones that were already there. This provides superior insulation for both heat and sound. Better than if I had replaced the 2x4s with 2x6s:

SS852771.JPG

Insulation and drywall:

SS852778.JPG

Here we see one of the filter boxes I recessed into the ceiling. You can see the dual 6' intakes drawing from the eave. At the top is a hoist, to make getting those heavy filters 11' feet up a lot easier:

SS852794.JPG

Here you can see both recesses with drywall on. The intakes are temporarily blocked with insulation:

SS852806.JPG

Taped, plastered,painted, sealed. Floor sealed with garage floorpaint in white. Everything is sealed, water-resistant, and washable white:

SS852900.JPG

Because I wired everything myself, I have four-conductor 240 all the way around, so I can build stuff like this. 4 x 240V and 4 x 120V on a mechanical timer. Plugs in at up to 6 locations:

SS852934.JPG

Here's a view of one of the recesses with the filter in place. The flex duct goes to a fan in a drywall box, rubber suspended and packed with insulation. The hoist controls (yellow, lower right) can be let down so I can stand on the floor. That's a Can 66 in there, but it will accommodate a Can 150:

SS852970.JPG

Since the recess on the left is the intake, the cover panel is gasketed and sealed to the ceiling. The filtered intake air from those dual 6' lines comes out the duct in the center (now ducted to the floor). The cover on the exhaust filter recess on the right is suspended so it can draw the warm air out of the room, through the filter, and into the garage:

SS852973.JPG

That's plenty for now. I'll post more details of the grow later.

:peace:

So here they are today:

overview3.JPG

They grew some more. Especially the Kaia Kush in the near corner. Here's the progress:

height1.jpg

As you can see they are all in a herd except the Kaia Kush. The top of that plant is only 12" from the 600W MH overhead. I understood that stretching, when controllable, depends mostly on light. Should I fire up a 600W HPS right next door to supplement them in veg?

other1.JPG

The other issue is three instances of damage I found:

omfg1.JPG

That was on the Purple Sage. The next two are on the Lavender and the Kaia Kush respectively:

omfg2.JPG

omfg3.JPG

No cat has had access, nor have I seen any overt sign of pest other than the occasional remaining fungus gnat. They have not been manhandled. There has been no other sign of anything like this anywhere except these three spots. Any ideas?

The plants all seem healthy overall though. At least they aren't dying.

But I'll consider any advice, and I can provide closer looks if needed.

Thank you very much. I've worked hard. But the plants are not optimal. I found spider mites on the Snow Bud. About 10. Watched one as it trundled around and generally made mayhem. Then I removed and positively killed every one I saw. But there were eggs, so I just got done hitting it with azatrol. In a couple hours, it ought to be dry and I should be able to turn the HID back on.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmnnnn! :adore:

I hope some day I have the means to build a grow room addition like that.

The pics of the leaf damage look at though they could be PH damage to me. How are you measuring the PH and what are you putting it in at, and what is the run off like?

If you put half the care into your plants as you did the addition I have no doubt you'll be toking some of the greatest ganja around in no time.

I measure pH with an Oakton pHTestr 30. I adjust to 6.3-6.4. I never thought to measure the runoff. That'll be a new column in my data. I'll read up on that.

Thanks.

My runoff is at 6.3 when i put it in the solution around 7.5. I've tried 3 Different types of soil and it was about the same for each. Miracle Grow Moisture control (which also brough on fungas gnats), Fox Farms Ocean Forest and Bcuzz Professional Hydromix HP.

Measured the runoff this time. They were ready to be fed (a couple were super-light). The room is at 24h on, 1 600W MH about 12" over the taller plants. 76 deg F, 35% rh. The nutes are Harvest Moon Organics, which I gather is made by a local pro, and is apparently the shiznit (sp?), based on what I've smoked. I think they are in 1 gal grow bags with a custom soilless mix.

<strain>: <in pH>, <out pH>, <height>

Purple Sage: 6.01, 5.30, 12"
Matanuskan T.: 6.01, 6.21, 9"
Snow Bud: 6.35, 5.51, 10"
Kaia Kush: 6.35, 5.66, 16"
Lavender: 6.24, 5.60, 10"
Afgooey (?): 6.24, 6.33, 9"

The KK continues to dominate on height. about 1" per day. The MT, SN, and Lav all grew 1/2" or less in two days, and the KK grew 2". They all look healthy, bugs seem to have died back for the time being, and I'm getting quicker. I think they are recovering from recent accidental abuses.

I'm not sure. I'm usually all medicated when I do all this. That's the real reason I keep good records. It helps me remember what I did.

I need to get a big desk calendar and lay out schedules on the wall. I also need to revise the grow log sheets I made for my prior med grower too. They don't have all the data points I want. And I still haven't hung the veg lights. I have to get it finished before I have to have it for clones and more.

I need to go to bed. I'm pretty high all of a sudden.

Damn Zear, you have a great little room you made.

I wish I had a nice little spot like that. I imagined your clones would be more numerous.
Maybe after your first harvest. Im sure your learning everyday!Thats what counts, you keep refining and tweaking till you get your results.

I personally would throw up two 600 watt bulbs and about 14-16 clones, do a SeaOfGreen grow.

The name's Aberration, and thank you. I have to stick to 6 plants in flower if I want to be legal in my state, and since that should supply me with more than enough ganja, that's good enough for me.

I did turn on one of the HPS lamps. I'm hoping that more light will help with the stretching the KK is doing. I'm afraid to get them less than 12" from the lights, and the KK was already 10" from the MH.

Then again, I'm measuring from the glass. Should I measure from the bulb perhaps?

Nice grow room, I'm jealous of your construction skills!

I can't believe you can only flower six plants in your state, that's ridiculous...so what's your plan? Are you going to veg 12 plants and rotate them through the flowering room 6 at a time? Just wondering.

And, you may want to consider finding another source for your clones if those came with mites, or dipping clones in miticide before exposing them to your clone room and other plants. Those are some of the suggestions I've read in other grow forums on 420mag.

Take care and good luck with the grow!

Nice grow, hope that kush is normal and not male stretch'n.

Keep up the good work.

I know the Kush is a female - she's a clone of a known female. The stretching does bother me though.

Thanks. :smokin:

Nice grow room, I'm jealous of your construction skills!

I can't believe you can only flower six plants in your state, that's ridiculous...so what's your plan? Are you going to veg 12 plants and rotate them through the flowering room 6 at a time? Just wondering.

And, you may want to consider finding another source for your clones if those came with mites, or dipping clones in miticide before exposing them to your clone room and other plants. Those are some of the suggestions I've read in other grow forums on 420mag.

Take care and good luck with the grow!

I can legally have 6 in flower and 18 in veg. I'm not sure exactly what the rotation will work out to. I'm still winging that.

As for the source, the genetics are great but his pest prevention and cleanliness skills are lacking. At the moment though, these are all the plants I have, so I figure if I stay on it regularly, I'll eventually stop it entirely. I do know that they can easily piggy-back into the room without my knowledge, so I expect the occasional minor problem anyway.

That is good advice though. I need to create a quarantine box. Eventually, I would like to make some hybrid seed so I can grow something nice from seed on the cheap and have fewer live plants coming in. For now though I need to acquire clones, so a miticide bath with follow-up in a quarantine cabinet would be an excellent idea.

So much to do, so much to do...

Back
Top Bottom