Aberration's Mixed-Strain First Grow - 2009

Re: Aberration's Mixed-Strain *First Grow* - 2009

Aberration howzit going, the plants are looking much better. Bad leaves are off so they do not put further drain on the plant.
Should I go to 3 gal now, then 7 gal later? Or should I just hit the 7 gal now?
with as big as they are a 7 gallon is great. 3 gallon is too small. A general rule of thumb is 1 gallon to 1 foot of plant growth. I think yours will be good size when they get finished..
Should I stagger them or just add both at the same time?
with 6 plants turn on the 2nd one. Wait til flowering appears and tuen on # 3.
I'm running in my veg room, 1K (600wHPS- 400wMH). 8'L x 4'W x 8'H

The root picture shows little or no damage to the ends or severe yellowing, from here they look just cramped and no where to grow. Once in 7 gallon containers they will explode up and out, until you want to turn back the light cycle to 12/12 for flower.

Oregon: Grew up there Skyline Area w. of Portland. Been here since the 70's'
Yes 18 /6 Oregon has some good Medical Cannabis Laws, it was about time.

No, I haven't re-potted yet. I'm hoping to be able to tomorrow. Today I had other important projects that took precedence. I'm hoping to get to it tomorrow. I ended up with 5 gal pots, perhaps to go to 7 or 10 soon.

As for what else is going on, yesterday I fed, turned on another HPS light and set the timer to 21/3 (had been 24/0). In a week I plan to change to 18/6. The extra light brings the room to 1800 watts. I have one more to fire after that. I re-arranged the plants so that there is a pair under each light, and I rotate them 1-2 times a day.

Below is a diagram I threw together to show how they are arranged. The red rectangles are 600W HPS, the dark blue rectangle is a 600W MH conversion, and each light has a fine double-ended arrow across it to show which way the reflector throws the light. The light blue line give the basic flow of the air cooling ducts. It's pretty rough, but you get the idea:

lights_layout.jpg

This (gamma corrected) image shows you how they are laid out under 1, 2, and 3:

all_seven.JPG

So when I fed last night, they got the following, per gallon:
  • 1.5 tsp Soil nute (3-7-3)
  • 2 tsp Plant Growth Enhancer ('PGE', supplementals)
  • 1 tsp Notrazyme (kelp extract)
They got a total of 2.5 gallons, pH 6.35 @ 19.3C. The Matanuskan and Afgooey got 16 oz. each, since they retain more water, and the rest got 32 oz. each, enough to cause them to drain water to the saucer.

<strain>, <pH out>, <size>

Purple Sage, 5.54, 21"
Matanuskan, n/a, 14.5"
Kaia Kush, 5.61, 24"
Snow Bud, 5.56, 15"
Lavender, 5.69, 13.5"
Afgooey, n/a, 12.5"

That puts their growth height at:

height4.jpg

All the plants are perking up with less droop in most of them. They are greening too.

Here's the KK. Sorry so dark. It has a bit of burn on some of the topmost leaves, as in the second picture, so it is now a bit farther away from it's light.

KK1.JPG

light_burn_q.JPG

Here is the PS:

PS.JPG

Matty and Afgooey:

MT-AG.JPG

Snow Bud and Lavender:

SN-L.JPG

I turned both of the wall fans up to high to give the plants a better breeze:

afan.JPG

The existing AC is having trouble keeping up with 3 lights:

crap_ac.JPG

It was supposed to be good for 9,000 Btu, and was advertised to restart on power loss and resumption. When you kill the power to the cord and start iut back up, it completes a shutdown every time. SO it neither cools like it should, nor restarts like it should.

I have another 12,000 Btu window AC that I have hacked with a switch that toggles between normal behavior and full on/high fan. I will be able to control it with an external thermostat and it has a proven track record:

hacked_ac.JPG

It will be cleaned up, hung high in the room, and boxed so that I can circulate outside air through the hot side, and room air through the cold side, with no mixing.

I also finally got all the lumber cut and painted to hang the lights in the veg room. I'm also thinking I might end up using the 4th light (actually #1 with the MH conversion bulb) in the veg. We'll see.

So much to do...

:peace:

Super-Clean Room!

I would love to sit in that room and just chill!

Keep it going :D

I understand the other projects that take precedence. The plants are looking much better every time. The red spots may be attributed to the 3-7-3 being used. That is more "P" than "N" if your still in a Veg Stage. Just a thought here.
They will have more umph when re potted. Your room is an invalubale source for many of us here viewing your post Aberration. Your patience is well noted.

OK, so I got around to transplanting today. As I mentioned before, I got 5 gallon pots:

0130.JPG

Since each only had 4 side holes, I decided to augment the drainage by adding 30 extra holes to the bottom of each bucket. One accidentally got 31 holes. They are 17/64" holes, because the 1/4" bit is somewhere else:

0220.JPG

I bought some marble chips to put at the bottom of each bucket:

0320.JPG

I washed them by running the hose over while them holding them as shown below and rolling them side to side. Not only did the extra grit get washed out, but the rolling action cleaned it all up real nice:

0419.JPG

Then I made a 5% bleach solution:

0610.JPG

I washed down the pots with it, then put just enough rocks in the bottom to obscure it completely. Then I soaked the rocks in place in the bleach solution for an hour. Here are two:

0710.JPG

After rinsing them well in the bathtub with lots of cold water, I shook the excess water out and ended up with 6 of this:

0516.JPG

I am using this soilless mix. I want it to just be a medium, so that I can have control of the nutrients. This is fairly inert and should drain nice based on the amount of perlite in it:

0810.JPG

I added a thin layer of soilless mix. Just enough to cover the rocks:

094.JPG

I had earlier watered the plants with a small amount of pH'ed water. When I gently removed the grow bags from the root ball, the moisture held them together nicely. Most of them looked like this:

1095.JPG

I gently set the root ball into the larger pot. They all were pretty close to right where I wanted them, height-wise. About 1/2"-3/4" below the rim. I gently added more soilless mix:

11156.JPG

When done, they were all gently patted down and smoothed, like this:

12133.JPG

By the way, the 24" Kaia Kush looked like this:

13110.JPG

She was totally ready. I owe you one Cherma.

Finally, I gave them a good feeding. They got Bt-i. They also got a half-strength dose of a new organic veg food I bought. It's Roots Organics Buddha Grow (2-0.5-1.5). I noticed that even though I had the entire lineup of nutrients from Harvest Moon Organics (local), none of them was stronger in nitrogen than 3-7-3.

I need better control than that. Harvest Moon clearly assumes I am using a fertilized soil. I am not. So I'll buy what I need. 🤷

I also added in some Roots Organics Oregonism, which should colonize the soil with multiple types of mycorrhizae, several beneficial bacteria, and more. I made sure it included trichoderma.

Finally, I moved them to the back of the room and turned off all but the very front light (#1). My research says to give them a couple days to get back to full light. I also stacked them on buckets. They come apart fine, and it gives them ample room to drain freely. Later they will be on saucers:

14100.JPG

As always, please tell me if I have done something stupid. I'll take it well. All advice thoughtfully considered.

I'm back to worried again. They look sad. They feel dry to the touch, but not yet paper thin. They are yellowing:

mt.JPG

kk2.JPG

lav_q.JPG

On the other hand, all of them have new growth similar to this:

newgrowth.JPG

Their soil is not dry yet, but I think they need nitrogen. I'm going to bet they will be alright until at least tomorrow morning. I don't want to over-water and the medium is pretty clumpy just an inch or two down (depending on which side of the pot you check). If the soil seems like it got aerated in the morning, I'll feed them.

At least that's what it seems like I ought to do. <shrug> I'm just making my best guess here. I'm banking on the idea that cannabis seems to abandon ailing leaves and just move on to whatever is healthy and new. If that is what they are doing, they might be OK.

If anyone can offer advice, I'm all ears.

What a great setup.No advice here just wanted to give you some kudos on your beautiful room. ;) +reps indeed.

Aberration, good to see the transplant went well.
Finally, I gave them a good feeding. They got Bt-i. They also got a half-strength dose of a new organic veg food I bought.
Maybe since changing nutes they again are adjusting to their new home in the 5 gallon buckets. Maybe some Chlorine residual could have possibly been left in miniscule amounts in the white rocks.
May I suggest to water H2O only for the next liquid application, I think the root system is adjusting their new environment. How much longer is your intention to keep light cycle at 18/6?
Is that a small heater I noticed in the one pic above. Is that close to any plant?

What a great setup.No advice here just wanted to give you some kudos on your beautiful room. ;) +reps indeed.

Thank you very much.

I am wondering about the marble chips causing Calcium to be released and causing a nute lookout. Since marble is limestone just metamorphic. IMO

Hadn't thought of that. I'll see if I can find any info on that. Thanks.

Hmm I am not that good at indoor soil grows to comment much on what is up now, but dang the room is look'n good and they were look'n better....pretty nice new leaves...but they are also more droopy than I like.

Are you sure you have not been overwater'n? Do you have a moisture meter?

Have you done some N fert? I would keep growth stage till you recover......just my thing to have big green greens b4 flower..usually.

Thanks. I've been careful not to over-water, but I could be giving them too much. I usually water until enough to measure for pH comes out the bottom. As for N, I have given them some, but I worry not enough.

My understanding is that if the older leaves yellow, but the new leaves stay nice and green, the new leaves are probably getting their N from the old ones, leading me to think I have been under-doing the N. I could be wrong.

Aberration, good to see the transplant went well.
Maybe since changing nutes they again are adjusting to their new home in the 5 gallon buckets. Maybe some Chlorine residual could have possibly been left in miniscule amounts in the white rocks.
May I suggest to water H2O only for the next liquid application, I think the root system is adjusting their new environment. How much longer is your intention to keep light cycle at 18/6?
Is that a small heater I noticed in the one pic above. Is that close to any plant?

I'll try balanced water only tonight. I think they are ready for it. I intend to keep them in veg until they are healthy and big enough. I fear the two tall ones may be getting too tall too fast though.

That is a heater, but it is never aimed such that it can warm a plant directly. I have checked to see how far the heat radiates. It's a pitifully small distance. I also never point it at the plants either. Maybe I should move it farther away? It's rarely even on with more than one light lit up.

That plant in particular has the light green edges on the leaves. The others have a lot less of that. They all show clear signs of N and K deficiency according to Cervantes.

I had kinda concluded that I had a general nutrient deficiency. Only phosphorus appeared to be present in enough quantity. After looking over the deficiency images in the Cervantes book, I think they were underfed but overwatered. They do seem to be responding.

Epsom salts eh? I have been thinking that having the resources to foliar feed a variety of nutrients would be helpful when they desperately need food but are still too damp in the medium. I think I need to start building a library of options.

Thank you for the complement.

The Snow Bud, Afgooey, and Lavender got 1 gal each, pH 6.36 @ 18.8 C. The Kaia Kush and the Purple Sage got 1 gal each, pH 6.41 @ 18.8 C. The Matanuskan didn't get any because it wasn't dry.

I think they were underfed but overwatered.

Yes, might I suggest less than 1 gal per a 5 gal container. I maybe use up to a 1/3 or up tp a half gal in 7 gal containers per watering / feeding is once every 3rd watering, and at 1/2 strength, FFGB. 4 tbs per gal Earth Juice Grow. Usually every 3rd day for me under 1000w HPS /MH. May I also suggest some liquid Seaweed for the tall yellowing one. This contains 63 trace elements, and will provide the correct amount the plant needs with proper application. Do not adjust your water with either ph up or down while doing a Seaweed application. Let your water sit out at least 24 hours uncapped to dicipate chorline. Let your medium dry up some.:smokin:

Yes, might I suggest less than 1 gal per a 5 gal container. I maybe use up to a 1/3 or up tp a half gal in 7 gal containers per watering / feeding is once every 3rd watering, and at 1/2 strength, FFGB. 4 tbs per gal Earth Juice Grow. Usually every 3rd day for me under 1000w HPS /MH. May I also suggest some liquid Seaweed for the tall yellowing one. This contains 63 trace elements, and will provide the correct amount the plant needs with proper application. Do not adjust your water with either ph up or down while doing a Seaweed application. Let your water sit out at least 24 hours uncapped to dicipate chorline. Let your medium dry up some.:smokin:

I see what you mean about the watering, but I never heard of feeding every three waterings. Will that be OK considering my medium is unfertilized and pretty inert? I'm pretty much depending on the feedings to provide all nutrition.

10-4 on the kelp. I'm adding it next feed (maybe today).

I keep my water in a 40-something gallon Rubbermaid garbage can with a bubbler running full time and the lid on loosely. I know about chlorine.

I do appreciate you (and everyone else) taking the time to stop by and offer help. Thank you.

Last night (3/2/09) I fed them all. Per gallon:
  • 1 Tbsp. Buddha Grow
  • 2 tsp. P.G.E. (contains 5% kelp extract, among other things)
  • 1 Tbsp. yucca extract
They each got 1/3 gallon. I concentrated it around the outside to help draw roots there.

Heights:
MT - 16.5"
SB - 17.5"
L - 15.5"
PS - 23.5"
KK - 29"
AG - 15"

The A/C project had a setback - the compressor keeps cutting out. I think it's due to excess heat because of insufficient airflow thru the hot side. I plan to put in a different fan and try again. I just don't know when.

I plan to foliar feed with Epsom salts tonight.

Back
Top Bottom