Aberration's Mixed-Strain First Grow - 2009

Re: Aberration's Mixed-Strain *First Grow* - 2009

Gave them a light water, no nutes. Just pH balanced water. I want to just get them by until I feed again tomorrow. Water was pH 6.31, 67F. Room was 82Fand 32% r.h. In the last day it ranged 78-84F and 32-33% r.h. Got a bit hotter with the second light. I turned on the AC and lowered the heater thermostat. Hopefully it will keep a lower, more appropriate temp. Emptied 5 gal of dehumidifier water.

Moved the girls to rectangular flat sieves on top of 5 gal buckets. In the future when I actually give them enough to drain out the bottom it will go in the bucket and I can quickly feed them all, check the outflow pH for each, and dump the water.

They all seem to be doing well. I'll do a pic tomorrow.

Well crap. Double posted. Guess I better do a pic now to make up for it...

Edit: Here's a couple:

Here's a bad pic of the six ladies. I have no idea how to correct for the way HPS light messes with the digital camera. You can see how the plants are free-draining this way.

2_lights_now.JPG

Here is a pic that does a good job of conveying how they look to the human eye, all 6 of them. I only got it that good through luck of the angle. They seem to be healthy and just getting tall fast.

a_healthy_green.JPG

:peace:

Order some seeds from

(dopes-seeds.com) (usa shipping)

get a nice strain, and use those as your new Vegative growth, then take clones, keep a few good mothers, and about 4-6 clones every cycle.

You have the space, the light, now you need some grade A+ mothers to find great genetics.

Goodluck good sir.

nice grow you have going here. before you know it that room is going to be full of buds.With a room,lights and a hydro setup you can have some serious yeilds. the only thing that can hold you back now is the strain. horable has the right idea. I know several members here have gotten their seeds without problems from dope seeds, give them a shot. I think they have mount cook (a cannabis cup winner) with a mother or two you will be set for years.

looks like you planned things right on that grow room as well !

I'm OK with what I have for now, since it was free. The Matty and Lavender are probably permanent. Later I'll get seeds and other free clones. No rush - these are fun.

I do appreciate the suggestions though. I'll refer back here for my seed search. Thanks guys.

lol forgive us.

we see so much potential pot growing, the funds, the room, the lights. Most of us dont or cannot get such supplies and space. So we are quite happy to promote our grow dreams, in which we plan out constantly, always looking for improving it somehow.

:nicethread:

No problem. I totally understand. I saved up a lot of money to do this, and I worked my ass off doing everything myself so I could still afford it. It took 3+ years of saving and planning to get here - I'm a very patient guy. But it's not unthinkable if you own your home and can do basic handiwork.

Having a wife that knows how to save money is a plus too. Bless her soul, she put in her share of the work, and she doesn't even get high anymore. I hit the jackpot with her.

All that is to say that you too could do this if you put aside the cash and put out the effort for long enough.

Also I overbuild everything in hopes that extra advanced planning, robust implementation, and a touch of paranoia might help fend off the seemingly inevitable disasters. I call it detail oriented. My wife calls it anal. Whatever.

In any case, I am honored to get the kind comments that I have. Thanks.

----

On the plant front, I fed them yesterday, numbers are somewhere around here (need more organization).

Last night, my local mentor came by and we rewrote the nute regime and gave the plants a good dunking in water with Azatrol and yucca extract added. They apparently can tolerate this ravaging well enough, but today they do look a little worse for the wear. I understand it's effective at taking out the spider mites.

I also realized I set up the flood table in the veg room too high (yes, both meanings of the word) and so now I need to drop it a foot or so. It's a 6'x3' with a 2x4 frame, attached to two walls, with one leg to hold up the unattached corner. I need to unscrew it from the wall, re-attach lower, and re-cut the leg as well. Then I gotta come up with a light hanging plan. I'm working on it... so much to do, so much to do...

From 2/11 (2 nights ago):

They are thirsty and tired looking. I need to flush them and they need some food. Also, I think some Bt-i is a good idea, too.

Flushed w/ 12 gal. water, 12 tbsp yucca extract, pHed to 6.35, 67 F.

All plants are in 1 gal grow bags, 3/4 full.

<strain>: <pH out>, <height>

Matty: 6.44, 11"
Afgooey: 6.50, 10.5"
Purple Sage: 5.78, 17"
Kaia Kush: 5.87, 21"
Lavender: 5.91, 12"
Snow Bud: 5.59, 12.5"

They look a bit frazzled from the dip. They need something light to eat:

3 gal water, 3 tbsp Bioactive supplement (1-5-1), 3 tsp Bt-i, pHed to 6.06, 65 F.

I also standardized my height measurements on the average altitude of the top of the starter plug. They hold together like they are made of rubber.

Finally, I lowered the veg table and refilled my reservoirs so they can bubble out the chlorine before I need the water.

---------------------------

Today:

They look bad. I am assured they will recover and be better for the experience, but it seems like roughshod treatment to me. I will watch and learn though, as I personally can vouch for the result when my mentor grows it.

Some leaves have turned yellow and others are tentative and folded. They are all droopy. I checked the medium and they are still noticeably heavy, so I know that unless they suddenly lost a lot of root mass, they have access to all the water they need. I do let them dry out between as well, so I'm inclined to think it's nutritional, not simple over/under watering.

Since I see leaves pulling the green to the veins and leaving the margins of the leaves yellow, I suspect that they are nitrogen starved. I'm not surprised really, since I only fed them lightly after the dip. I don't want to water yet, and I don't think I have anything foliar to use that has significant nitrogen. I clearly need to fill that gap in my nutritional arsenal. I think I'll wait and feed them tomorrow. They will be fine, I think.

SS853119.JPG

SS853121.JPG

SS853122.JPG

full

Opinions?

Edit: Those are some sad looking plants, eh? It looks like I'm killing them to me. 🤷 He'll keep me in bud until I get my own, so it's in his best interest to get me up and running fast. I dunno. I guess patience will be crucial.

Aberration, did you get my other reply on this issue your having?
I would suggest Repotting these into a 5 or even a 10 gallon container. They are way too root bound in those small container bags.
There is plenty of Pro Mix in your area I am sure of.

ekk I should of read sherma's previous post. I bet the last one & previous post are correct. ...only thing is I dont see the first one.

I don't either.

Aberration, did you get my other reply on this issue your having?
I would suggest Repotting these into a 5 or even a 10 gallon container. They are way too root bound in those small container bags.
There is plenty of Pro Mix in your area I am sure of.

Thanks, and while I think you are giving good advice, I think these plants have been abused a bit too much. Not only are they not visibly root bound (I checked), I see no roots at all. I'm not digging into the rootball on any of these, but I think I have been starving them, and the roots are suffering as much as the foliage.

I need to feed them. They're still not dry enough though. Hrm. They are getting a foliar feed with some 3-1.5-1.5 tonight and tomorrow they get the prescribed feeding. I'll go light tonight, but they need something. They are literally dying.

Assuming I haven't killed them, however, I suspect they will be moving to larger pots soon. If I hadn't abused them so bad, they would likely be ready now. So thank you for the reminder.

Thanks, and while I think you are giving good advice, I think these plants have been abused a bit too much. Not only are they not visibly root bound (I checked), I see no roots at all. I'm not digging into the rootball on any of these, but I think I have been starving them, and the roots are suffering as much as the foliage.
No worries, Check out my " Cherma Medical Grow" and note root development in 5 gallon pots, This is what a healthy root ball should like like. Well see below pic I'll insert. I am sorry to hear about the abuse. I understand and appreciate your new room added on to accomplish your own growing. I would like to help you along, as this is truly my passion for over 30 years other than engineering, design built custom estates.

45 days growth befor transplanting. This shows a healthy 5 gallon root system. Let's figure out why your are not healthy.
IMG_1494lo_bottom_of_healthy_root_system_5_gal_clone.JPG

Can you pull the plant away from the soil and get a pic of what roots there are? If so are they all Yellowing and or Brown in color? That could be a sign of water retention inside the root system, or it is not draining as well as it should be.
NO roots at all scares me. But some have to be there by the size they are.

May I also suggest removing all Yellow and damaged leaves from the plants. This creates a little extra stress for the plant in that stage.

Then to get back on a schedule for watering and feeding. How far are the lights above the plants?

Ventialtion seems to be in order, fresh air in, exhausting out.

Temperatures again? What are the high temps with lights being on and also the night time low temp?

Humidity? what is it generally?

I gather you are in a NW state.

Can you pull the plant away from the soil and get a pic of what roots there are? If so are they all Yellowing and or Brown in color? That could be a sign of water retention inside the root system, or it is not draining as well as it should be.
NO roots at all scares me. But some have to be there by the size they are.

Here's the best I could do. They all look like this:

roots4.jpg

Looks like time to think about transplanting. :goodjob: You called it. They are white, and have just hit the wall and turned.

May I also suggest removing all Yellow and damaged leaves from the plants. This creates a little extra stress for the plant in that stage.

Yes, will do. I have been doing it, but I'm hesitant about it, so I have left the fairer ones. I'll get more aggressive.

Then to get back on a schedule for watering and feeding. How far are the lights above the plants?

The are all sitting on same-height bases, but the plants differ in height. At the moment, the lights are 14-26 inches up, depending on which one you measure from. I'm trying to think of something practical to block them up with so I can even the canopy out.

Ventialtion seems to be in order, fresh air in, exhausting out.

Plenty of ventilation.

Temperatures again? What are the high temps with lights being on and also the night time low temp?

Temps vary with time from 69-78 degrees. I'll be narrowing that soon. I just got done hacking another AC which will give me much more precise temperature control. The AC I have in there now is weak and erratic.

Humidity? what is it generally?

For the last two days - 31-35% r.h. This has been about average. My local mentor seems to think I should have it as low as possible. I'm starting to think that's a mistake. I think these vegging plants should get 50-55% r.h., and I also think that would help me fight the spider mites. So I started raising the r.h., but so far it's been only passively. I need to put a pan of water in front of a fan in there until I get it up to 50%.

I gather you are in a NW state.

Oregon.

BTW, if I'm going the wrong way on any of this, feel free to let me know. I may sound like I have already made up my mind, but I haven't really. I'm just stating my best guess, which, in the absence of outside input, naturally becomes my course of action as-is.

Removed leaves with significant damage or necrosis.

Fed 1/2 g ea.:
  • 1.5 tsp/g soil nute (3-7-3)
  • 2.0 tsp/g plant growth enhancer
  • 1.0 tsp/g notrozyme (kelp)
pH'ed to 6.20 @ 17.5 C

<strain>: <pH out>, <height>

Afgooey: 6.22, 11.5"
Lavender: 5.52, 12"
Kaia Kush: 5.58, 22.5"
Matanuskan: 6.32, 12"
Snow Bud: 5.29, 13.5"
Purple Sage: 5.44, 19"

Between the leaf cleanup and the foliar feed of last night, they look a little better. Hopefully this feed will perk them the rest of the way back up.

p27.JPG

p19.JPG

height3.jpg

I guess I need to find some medium and 6 big buckets. Should I go to 3 gal now, then 7 gal later? Or should I just hit the 7 gal now?

Going to be turning on the other two 600W HPS soon. Should I stagger them or just add both at the same time?

Thanks to all.

Back
Top Bottom