Air cooled lighting systems

greenmind

So I'm ready to buy an LED light but a friend of mine tells me to grow with HPS. He gave me a link to a shop selling this light with a nice discount. What do you lot reckon? I was ready to buy an LED but I'm kinda torn atm. Random question, but would I connect an intake fan through the reflector hood & exhaust the air out of the tent? Thanks 420 community. :420:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200302_024844_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200302_024844_com.android.chrome.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 33
Yes you connect an inline fan and exhaust the heat.

HPS is still HPS and good growing lights but I'd reconsider LED, not the cheap ones but Mars Hydro or Budget LED.

You typically pay more for LED upfront but much less on the electric bill and heat is much less of an issue.

I run 4 Mars Hydro ts600 600w and a ts1000 150w as well as a philzon 600w dimmable for a total of 650w from the wall covering three 3x3 tents. Two ts600 and I yielded about 6 oz off one power plant autoflower. Haven't harvested the runt but I'm betting 10oz total.

Cost on 2 ts600 about $180, electric bill went up about $40 using all 6 lights.

If you go that route I'd snatch at least one philzion 600w dimmable. Samsung LEDS and you can dim it for germination.

The LEDS I run a dryer vent hose from ground to above the light then another on the other side exhausting heat. So far haven't gotten above 74F.

GL whichever way you go. Both Mars Hydro and philizon are avail on Amazon if you get free shipping there.

Hello , hps is a great light but it creates a lot of heat issues i just sold my hid lights and went with the mars ts 1000 watt leds , 3x 1000 watt in a 4x4x8 tent for veg and 4x1000 watt for a flowering tent and they really work well . hid lights need to be vented outside in my opinion and just extracting the heat outside of the tent only adds heat to the grow room , unless you are growing in a basement with really cold temps and the added heat is needed . i would then go with the new generation of led , i don't miss my m.h or hps bulbs at all .i also had a problem with a couple of bulbs burning out while i was at work during the day as i run 24/0 lighting for veg , it scared me as to the possibility of a fire and it screwed with my light routine till i got home to notice there was no light at all in the tent , leds may possibly burn out 1 led on the whole light but you will still be left with a good functioning light and your hydro bill will love the leds .

Hello buddy, I'm no experts by all means but I have been growing with his for a solid 3 years, loved it at first but then as our summer's for earlier or hotter it caused constant problems with my plants, I have ran those cool hoods and tubes but sometimes they can act like radiators even with a good solid cool airflow through, you also need to cover the hinges and all edges of the glass frame as they tend never to be a snug right for and can also drag smells though.

Bulbs are one of those things you need to keep replacing too, I would replace my bulbs every 6 months and nd that's running them 12/12 for those 6 months so two bulbs a year will cost you a good £70-$100 alone for bulbs, that and your electric can be a real cost at times especially trying to cool them, last year was enough for me I couldn't anymore.

I would run 4*4 tents with a 600w hps either in a cool tube or plain barn styled, yielded 21.3oz on my first run but even then I had heat problems, I started growing in December with some of the new Mars Hydro SP250's in 4*3 space but only a 2*4 grow canopy and I yielded 20+oz which was absolute mega for only using 480w and that's not counting my trim but I estimate around 20g of hash from my trim too.

Moving to Led was the hardest decision of my growing life due to a lot of other brands out their being very poor performers.

Honestly buddy buy some quality Led's and reek the benefit of quality and quantity!

what size area have you got?

Yes you connect an inline fan and exhaust the heat.

HPS is still HPS and good growing lights but I'd reconsider LED, not the cheap ones but Mars Hydro or Budget LED.

You typically pay more for LED upfront but much less on the electric bill and heat is much less of an issue.

I run 4 Mars Hydro ts600 600w and a ts1000 150w as well as a philzon 600w dimmable for a total of 650w from the wall covering three 3x3 tents. Two ts600 and I yielded about 6 oz off one power plant autoflower. Haven't harvested the runt but I'm betting 10oz total.

Cost on 2 ts600 about $180, electric bill went up about $40 using all 6 lights.

If you go that route I'd snatch at least one philzion 600w dimmable. Samsung LEDS and you can dim it for germination.

The LEDS I run a dryer vent hose from ground to above the light then another on the other side exhausting heat. So far haven't gotten above 74F.

GL whichever way you go. Both Mars Hydro and philizon are avail on Amazon if you get free shipping there.
After a night & day researching. I'm going with LED. I think I'm going to go with KIND or an electric sky unit. They're expensive manufacturers but with reason. Thanks again for your input bro. My friend had a bad experience with Marshydro, so I'm not taking the risk.

Hello buddy, I'm no experts by all means but I have been growing with his for a solid 3 years, loved it at first but then as our summer's for earlier or hotter it caused constant problems with my plants, I have ran those cool hoods and tubes but sometimes they can act like radiators even with a good solid cool airflow through, you also need to cover the hinges and all edges of the glass frame as they tend never to be a snug right for and can also drag smells though.

Bulbs are one of those things you need to keep replacing too, I would replace my bulbs every 6 months and nd that's running them 12/12 for those 6 months so two bulbs a year will cost you a good £70-$100 alone for bulbs, that and your electric can be a real cost at times especially trying to cool them, last year was enough for me I couldn't anymore.

I would run 4*4 tents with a 600w hps either in a cool tube or plain barn styled, yielded 21.3oz on my first run but even then I had heat problems, I started growing in December with some of the new Mars Hydro SP250's in 4*3 space but only a 2*4 grow canopy and I yielded 20+oz which was absolute mega for only using 480w and that's not counting my trim but I estimate around 20g of hash from my trim too.

Moving to Led was the hardest decision of my growing life due to a lot of other brands out their being very poor performers.

Honestly buddy buy some quality Led's and reek the benefit of quality and quantity!

what size area have you got?
Thank you for the input & time brother. I've decided to go with LED. Did a lot of research & listened to your advice & the other boys in here who posted. HPS is a fantastic source of light for the crops but as mentioned, comes with all sorts of issues. Going LED boys, done.

Hello , hps is a great light but it creates a lot of heat issues i just sold my hid lights and went with the mars ts 1000 watt leds , 3x 1000 watt in a 4x4x8 tent for veg and 4x1000 watt for a flowering tent and they really work well . hid lights need to be vented outside in my opinion and just extracting the heat outside of the tent only adds heat to the grow room , unless you are growing in a basement with really cold temps and the added heat is needed . i would then go with the new generation of led , i don't miss my m.h or hps bulbs at all .i also had a problem with a couple of bulbs burning out while i was at work during the day as i run 24/0 lighting for veg , it scared me as to the possibility of a fire and it screwed with my light routine till i got home to notice there was no light at all in the tent , leds may possibly burn out 1 led on the whole light but you will still be left with a good functioning light and your hydro bill will love the leds .
Thank you for the info and advice. Appreciate your help. I'm going LED. haha. I came to the conclusion that HPS has it's downsides for a modernised suburban grow. For temps I'm just going to use an oil heater or a heat tube mounted in the grow tent.

Back
Top Bottom