Akisunni Indoor Cold & Hot Grow Zones

IMG_29349.JPG

I swear I see a couple mealybugs in this pic... or am I just having mealybug vision after my infestation >.< - either way, I see signs of pests all over these buds... you say you found spider webs? You have mites. You really need to wash your buds.

Now washing and prep. First off, trimming. remove anything without crystals, it'll just gunk up your wash.

Now you need 4 ~5 gal buckets.

First bucket: luke warm water with hydrogen peroxide. About 3 parts water and 1 part 3% peroxide is right.

second bucket: luke warm water with a cup of lemon juice (concentrate or fresh, doesn't matter) and a cup of baking soda

third bucket: slightly colder water - I've been reading hot water at this stage can damage flavor so I stopped doing this

fourth bucket: cold water (as cold as your tap can go is about right)

then just hang them somewhere safe to drip, then move them to wherever you dry buds :) you can do the final trim when it's done dripping or in a couple days, doesn't really matter.

Congrats on your harvest Aki!! I still think you'll really enjoy it! Good luck on the trim and wash! (by the way, only wash within 12 hrs of chopping. after then, its not as fresh and starts to not work right) :circle-of-love:

I swear I see a couple mealybugs in this pic... or am I just having mealybug vision after my infestation >.< - either way, I see signs of pests all over these buds... you say you found spider webs? You have mites. You really need to wash your buds.

I wondered about those white things, and brushed them off after the picture. I agree the buds need washing. Would you do it Day 1, 2, 3? after the cut?

I am like you, we have bugs. I am fighting pests at the moment too. Know I am watching your adventures for advice in my own.

Hey aki :) I wish I grew buds that looked that nice my first harvest hahaha - trust me, you beat my first harvest by miles. Just saying. :love:

You need to wash immediately!!! Get going Mr. Technology!!!

And hahaha thanks for following the adventures - I really hope they'll help you! - and me :laughtwo:

If you don't have mold to deal with, then skip using the H2O2 in the wash. This part really speeds the drying a lot (dries too fast for a better quality cure), so if you know you don't have mold, the baking soda and lemon juice will be more than enough. I also suggest plucking all the fan leaves and trimming the sugars before the wash. If you wait till after the wash (like I did), the wet surfaces proved too difficult to trim. So I waited till they dried, but then they were too brittle to get my scissor tips into the bud a bit for a nice clean manicure. My next and future washes will be to chop the plant, pluck the fans into one pile, trim the sugar leaves into another pile and manicure the cola as best I can, then plunge them into the lemon bucket first unless I suspect mold.

if you wash your buds I wouldn't use baking soda as it could remain on your buds and ruin your smoke. you should get one cup of water and add peroxide (which is a very effective disinfectant) and a cup of plain water. dip your buds in and out of the peroxide mix a couple times then in and out of the plain water a couple times. after that you should allow them to dry before jarring.

if you wash your buds I wouldn't use baking soda as it could remain on your buds and ruin your smoke. you should get one cup of water and add peroxide (which is a very effective disinfectant) and a cup of plain water. dip your buds in and out of the peroxide mix a couple times then in and out of the plain water a couple times. after that you should allow them to dry before jarring.

Damn, missed this post. I put the baking soda into the first tub of water with fresh squeezed lemons. Second container was peroxide and third was plain cold water.

Post Wash Update Pictures and Jerry and Baggy Update at bottom

Ok, they have completed their washing process and are strung back up on the drying line. Its cold here at night. Most likely 40's to 50 in my garage. Humidity is 40ish. They are only raw trimmed of fan leaves and anything that was long and sticking out a ways. After they are done with this process, around Friday or so. I hope to trim each them up, and get them into glass jars.

I am looking forward to when these are ready to be rolled tight, and smoked old school style.

IMG_297612.JPG
IMG_297512.JPG
IMG_29738.JPG
IMG_29706.JPG
IMG_29714.JPG
IMG_29725.JPG
IMG_29639.JPG

Jerry & Baggy

Are settled into their new home outside. Jerry already has a couple of small flowers. Baggy hasnt grown pistols or the pollen sacs I thought I saw the other day. I am starting to wonder if I have planted two girls outside. LoL. oh well, if so. Its a great experiment. Can you grow a quick winter crop as the days get longer and warmer again.

IMG_296210.JPG
IMG_296013.JPG
IMG_295713.JPG
IMG_29569.JPG
IMG_295415.JPG
IMG_29538.JPG
IMG_29505.JPG
IMG_29494.JPG

you can ingest baking soda, but I don't know how it would be to smoke lol. if it washed off it's probably fine. everything looks good. be careful with the low temps.

You've got to the end almost, now mold is gonna be a possibility, it's cold, they've been washed so try to move them and check each, personally I would cut them down to small nuggets , and use a cardboard box with ventilation, I would hate to see you loose any thing more, and vasaline on the hanging wires will stop mites commuting about. Soon we get the smoke report heh !
Will talk to you and sky reg automation, I don't need as much control to begin with but I'm totally clueless to programing the systems. Check back with you soon.
Got bad flu, and not sleeping well at all.
Another vodka(0830 hrs here, tired but sleep eludes me big styleee
ATB M8

You've got to the end almost, now mold is gonna be a possibility, it's cold, they've been washed so try to move them and check each, personally I would cut them down to small nuggets , and use a cardboard box with ventilation, I would hate to see you loose any thing more, and vasaline on the hanging wires will stop mites commuting about. Soon we get the smoke report heh !
Will talk to you and sky reg automation, I don't need as much control to begin with but I'm totally clueless to programing the systems.

I agree. I am pondering a dehydrator solution. One with no heat, so I am only pushing moisture away. In fact, I know the perfect solution. I can take wet beef, and in 18 hours make beef jerky, without using heat. Expect new photos in a few hours.

Here is my quick DIY dehydrator. Its 3 filters each are 20 by 20 air con filters. A couple of bungy cables connected to the screen. Set the fan to low to medium, and give it a few hours.

I went ahead and chopped the buds and cola's off of their primary stems. Which were extremely cold and damp feeling from the wash. We have had a foggy night with high humidity. I didn't want the buds to start to rot on me.

I weighted the stems after cutting off the buds, and they weighted 37 grams.

IMG_297710.JPG
IMG_29787.JPG
IMG_29796.JPG
IMG_29807.JPG
IMG_29816.JPG

I have also kept Big Girl under 24/0 light since the hair cutting. I want to reveg this plant. Her pop corn buds, while numerous, have very little weight to stem ratio. I am more then willing to write them off.

As such, if they grow a little before the plant starts to show real signs of veg growth again, is ok. I figure I will harvest what ever they look like in a week or two. I hope to have Big Girl back under 12/12 lighting around Valentines day, for her second harvest if not before.

Just put the buds into jars. I have a giant pickle jar that has 102 grams in it. I also have two glass pasta sauce jars with lids. 1st has 30 grams, second has 20 grams. It appears I have put about 5+ oz into the jars from the first harvest of Big Girl. She still has 1-2 oz on her and they all show signs of fresh growth again now that the shock of the hair cut is passing.

Stinky's buds are growing HUGE, as in trimmed, they should be a nice small Christmas tree once pruned. I am going to guess, she has equivalent weight on her, but in only 5-8 total buds.

I am pretty happy with this first harvest and first grow. Shocked it took me this long. I have started to live off of the test nugs and some christmas bud I was given. This has to be the longest I have gone with out visiting a dispensary in years.

Are the buds dry yet? Are stems cracking or leaf material flaking off? If you throw them in closed jars without drying enough you run the risk of mold and bud rot. Just a heads up, still loving the journal.

I cut away all stems. They were cold and wet from dunking a day after cutting.

Its extremely cold (for here) and foggy (wet humidity). Tomorrow, when its warm and humidity has burned off again (its night based here). I will put them back on the dehydrator for another cycle. They only had 5+ hours when I jarred them. They still had more moisture in them, but weather conditions said a glass jar over night is better.

Once they finish tomorrow, I expect they will be ready for jar treatment long term.

Very inventive idea with the bud dryer. Might have to try that with some of my next harvest. Please let me know if the buds flatten out any?

Edit - My bud wash entry on the Bud Washing thread

No mushing. In fact its pretty amazing. I can take wet steak, sliced at 1/8th inch of meat, and 18 hours later have hard tack jerky, no heat. $8 in filters. Buy the 3 pack at your local big box.

In this case, I am in a wet spot in a desert basically. Our humidity is high and temps cold. I will design a drying container in the future this issue. In fact, I am thinking of a freezer based on with racks of buds. lol.

I just ran through your grow akisunni and it's damned impressive. Love your combination of tech and cannabis. LOL!

I think we can put away that archaic idea about not being able to get good buds out of CFLs, don't you? I'm still planning to upgrade to an LED, but the CFLs have been very good to me so far and I've harvested potent product from just CFLs in the past.

You have talent for this akisunni. Maybe your daughters have the right idea.

Back
Top Bottom