Alternate Curing Method

egger

420 Member
Hello all,

I have five auto plants currently growing indoors (in soil), but an unexpected trip overseas has given me a dilemma.

I can pull the harvest forward a week and have already begun to flush. I think i will be able to fit in four or five days of drying before i need to catch a plane. My question is, what should i do with the bud after drying? I usually jar and burp, but won't be able to this time. I've nobody i can leave the jars with.

Does anyone have any suggestions for storing / curing this bud until i get back three weeks later?

I appreciate the help.

Darren

Have you any bait boxes? like tupper ware tubs? you can use them but id suggest moving them to glass jars when you get back, anything thats air tight really, i know people that use metal sweet tins as they think they give the best cure.

Boveda 62% humidipaks if you can find them. Dry out your buds then put 'em in a jar with a humidipak. Maybe burp once after putting them in but as long as the buds are dry enough the humidipak should keep them from molding. If you put them in a glass jar without a humidipak unless they were really dry before going in there's a good chance you'd come back to mold in 3 weeks.

Thanks all. I appreciate the advice.

I've tubs and Boveda packs handy so that works out well. I assume i should take the buds off the branches before sealing up in a tote or tupperware.

Wait a sec. How long are you going to be away for? You can hang your plants for 2 weeks in the right kind of space. I think that is much better than jarring them and going away. I would be concerned with mold. It is also a pain in the ass to dry them at that point. Smell will be wrong too.

Wait a sec. How long are you going to be away for? You can hang your plants for 2 weeks in the right kind of space. I think that is much better than jarring them and going away. I would be concerned with mold. It is also a pain in the ass to dry them at that point. Smell will be wrong too.
3 weeks...and I think you might be right...

Curious on your thoughts regarding smell. Are you referencing the smell of chlorophyll or something else? I have been trying to get a better smell from cured buds...

3 weeks...and I think you might be right...

Curious on your thoughts regarding smell. Are you referencing the smell of chlorophyll or something else? I have been trying to get a better smell from cured buds...

Chlorophyll.

There must be a better way to do this. Is this legal where you are? The smell of drying pot is very strong.

The perfect place to dry pot is in your tent with the extractor on. That deals with the smell and it's a decent controlled environment. I would be worried about leaving the extractor on for 3 weeks, but it's probably not that big of a deal.

Hi Calvados,

I'll be away for three weeks, then back here in Southern California

My grow room is in the garage. Its a wood framed structure that i built and has a window air conditioning unit which vents to the garage. I thought about curing in the grow room, leaving just the room's exhaust fan running, but it will be too hot. It's been 115 degrees outside this week, and around 100+ in the garage. The AC has to run almost continuously when its like this, but it keeps the growroom at 78 no problem. However, i can't risk overdrying the buds, so unfortunately, the grow room is out.

I dry in a downstairs bathroom that is on the most shaded side of the house, but right now, it is still 82 in there when i run the house AC. RH is 45%. If we have a hot spell like this when i am away (and the house AC is not running), temperatures will climb to 90 degrees. Is this temp a problem, because the buds will experience it regardless of whether they are hanging in the room, or boxed up in a tote?

I'm growing legally here, but i still don't want to alert the neighbors.

Has anybody tried drying and/or curing within one of the small thermoelectric wine coolers that you can get at home depot? They set at up to 64 degrees, have racks included and a single small fan. If its a viable solution, i might invest, finish this process and keep my seeds in there going forward.......plus a nice red or two.

Has anybody tried drying and/or curing within one of the small thermoelectric wine coolers that you can get at home depot? They set at up to 64 degrees, have racks included and a single small fan. If its a viable solution, i might invest, finish this process and keep my seeds in there going forward.......plus a nice red or two.

Search this forum for "low and slow"...people are curing in mini-fridges....

"Ideal" parameters for curing are RH 60-65% and <70F.

No basement? We use our root cellar which is ideal temps/RH year round.

Low and slow would probably be the best method.

If you could hang to dry in a filtered and fanned area that should be fine for 3 weeks. Otherwise no filter means smell, combined with a fan or no fan means smell, while no fan could lead to mold from no air circulation. If you can get in a long enough dry you could jar them with a Boveda, but they'd need to be pretty dry going in or mold could be an issue (I jarred and burped with no humidipak and got mold several times but so far I've got several jars with a Boveda and no mold). Although I've personally had good luck with a dry and humidipak to prevent mold and never tried the low and slow method that might work better for your situation. Or you could try multiple methods so you've got a backup to avoid putting all your eggs in one potentially moldy basket. Different people will offer different methods so do some research and do whatever you think will work best in your situation.

Thanks Blew Hiller and Nightmask2.

I'm almost out of time, so I'll research the low and slow for the next run when i return. Thanks for the thread reference. For now, I'll use tubs and boveda packs. No basement is pretty typical in SoCal, and the environment can be a pain. Winter temps are much better than now, but the RH drops to the 30's. The fridge/chiller option may make life easier (and more discrete).

Plants were chopped 24 hrs ago. I'll get another five days of drying in, jar them, have a couple of days cure/burping, then add the Boveda and hope for the best.

Regards
Egger

Just my opinion. It's not enough time drying. I wouldn't put them in jars. If I couldn't leave them hanging somewhere, I'd leave them loose in a paper bag and put them in a vented closet, or something I haven't thought of yet. Your biggest concern should be mold.

Thanks Blew Hiller and Nightmask2.

I'm almost out of time, so I'll research the low and slow for the next run when i return. Thanks for the thread reference. For now, I'll use tubs and boveda packs. No basement is pretty typical in SoCal, and the environment can be a pain. Winter temps are much better than now, but the RH drops to the 30's. The fridge/chiller option may make life easier (and more discrete).

Plants were chopped 24 hrs ago. I'll get another five days of drying in, jar them, have a couple of days cure/burping, then add the Boveda and hope for the best.

Don't dry on the stem if you are in a rush.

5 days at 30% humidity seems long. I think you'll be all right with your plan of burping jars for a few days and then leaving with bovidas. May want to put one in the freezer right before you leave to diversify the stash just in case

Back
Top Bottom