Another is it ready thread

PistolPete80

Yes, I know, another is it ready thread, but hoping to start a deeper discussion or at least some more specific questions as I'm approaching the end of my first grow. This community has been incredibly helpful as I've encountered a few issues along the way and hoping for some more guidance here.

First, a few basic details before I dive into questions:

• FastBuds Fastberry Auto's in 4 gal containers grown in FFOF/FFHF/Perlite mixture
  • Nutes: FF Trio + expanded nutes, e.g. Bembe, Cha-Ching, etc.
  • 63 Days Old / Day 36 Flower
  • Mars Hydro SP3000 Light in 4X2 tent
  • Had a major PH issue in the middle of flower which I got corrected, but that's why many leaves are yellow on top and not from what I believe is fading

Questions:

• Is it typical that the top sites will mature quicker than lower sites, meaning your top colas may be at your target state of trich development while lower notes are quite a bit behind?
  • How do you strike a balance on when to harvest optimally if your colas are not maturing in the same window without doing a partial harvest (given my learnings so far suggest not to do with Autos)?
  • How long does it normally take for them to "swell up" at the end of flower?
  • When they "swell up", what is the typical state of the trichs? Do they swell when clear, cloudy, mix?
  • How would you actually describe the "swelling up" of buds? Do they double in size, triple, etc? I doubt they triple obviously, just trying to help understand the question
  • Do the calyx's turn into buds and fill in the gaps between where two buds to form a single, longer bud? (See pic and additional context below)

Now, why am I asking these questions? For a few reasons:

• If you look at the pics, you'll see some top colas are nice and big and they have some amber trichs with mostly orange pistils indicating, at least to me they're ready. But in the other pics, you'll see what to me certainly looks like immature buds where I still see some clear / cloudy trichs
  • In the one pic with the red circle, that is what I believe to be a calyx and where my question stems from that if given longer to flower, that will turn into a bud and connect the flowers above and below to become one bud
  • The size of the buds are not changing dramatically, they're slowly getting bigger each day but not drastic. I am having a hard time envisioning what that "swell" period people refer two in the final weeks.
  • It seems common for newbies to harvest too early, so trying to make sure I do my best to learn here
  • Given that these are entering their 5th week of flower and only 63 days from sprout, it just seems too early for them to be ready??
Welcome any thoughts or opinions. @Emilya & @InTheShed would be gracious if you had a moment to review and opine.

Attachments

• BB1_9_23.jpg
    BB1_9_23.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • BB2_9_23.jpg
    BB2_9_23.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 69
  • Trich1.png
    Trich1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
  • Trich2.png
    Trich2.png
    2 MB · Views: 58
  • BB2.2_9_23.jpg
    BB2.2_9_23.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • InkedBB2.3_9_23.jpg
    InkedBB2.3_9_23.jpg
    745.1 KB · Views: 54
Is it typical that the top sites will mature quicker than lower sites
Not always top before bottom but often one before the other. If you want even ripeness, then a partial harvest is the way to go.
How do you strike a balance on when to harvest optimally if your colas are not maturing in the same window without doing a partial harvest (given my learnings so far suggest not to do with Autos)?
You can do a partial harvest on autos without any problem. I did one on my second plant ever, an AK-47 auto!
How long does it normally take for them to "swell up" at the end of flower?
That's completely strain-dependent, but I'd say they're usually done swelling within two weeks of harvest. After that it's just ripening.
When they "swell up", what is the typical state of the trichs? Do they swell when clear, cloudy, mix?
Mine are still clear at that point.
How would you actually describe the "swelling up" of buds?
The calyxes get fatter and fill in the spaces in the flowers.
Do the calyx's turn into buds and fill in the gaps between where two buds to form a single, longer bud?
That's also strain-dependent. Some sativas will never join their flowers, while almost all indicas end up filling in the original spaces between flowers, particularly at the ends of the branches. The further down you go, the less they fill in.

Hope that helps a bit!

I will disagree on one point... In that last two weeks I have seen buds double in size and probably weight too. The last two week bud swell, is a thing... and it is strain and grow method dependent. If you starve your plants at the end as is very common advice these days... don't expect a final bud swell.

Regarding the ripening... I oftentimes see trichomes on the sunleaves and down lower on the plant mature sooner than the buds at the very top.

Not always top before bottom but often one before the other. If you want even ripeness, then a partial harvest is the way to go.

You can do a partial harvest on autos without any problem. I did one on my second plant ever, an AK-47 auto!

That's completely strain-dependent, but I'd say they're usually done swelling within two weeks of harvest. After that it's just ripening.

Mine are still clear at that point.

The calyxes get fatter and fill in the spaces in the flowers.

That's also strain-dependent. Some sativas will never join their flowers, while almost all indicas end up filling in the original spaces between flowers, particularly at the ends of the branches. The further down you go, the less they fill in.

Hope that helps a bit!

That's immensely helpful. I cannot thank you enough!!!

I will disagree on one point... In that last two weeks I have seen buds double in size and probably weight too. The last two week bud swell, is a thing... and it is strain and grow method dependent. If you starve your plants at the end as is very common advice these days... don't expect a final bud swell.

Regarding the ripening... I oftentimes see trichomes on the sunleaves and down lower on the plant mature sooner than the buds at the very top.
Wow - you two are incredible. Really appreciate the quick replies. I am still feeding based on advice from both of you and following the FF feed chart to a T. I certainly have not experienced any doubling, just a slow and steady development. It seems plausible that given the PH issues I suffered early on and the rather unhealthy leaves could be impacting overall development. Just a theory, as I am far from an expert lol.

Based on what you can see in the pictures and what I've explained, do you think I should give more time? It just seems too soon as they suggest 8 weeks of flower for this strain. I realize that's a general guideline but it seems to me most of the time it takes longer rather than shorter. In this case, quite a bit shorter.

Trying to avoid the rookie mistake of harvesting too early and ensuring I am learning as much as possible.

since you are following the FF directions to the T, you no doubt did that final flush right at the beginning of the last two weeks so as to clear the salts out of the soil and allow this final bud swell. Doing that so as to clear the pumps, and then feeding ChaChing right to the end, I can guarantee you that your buds will dramatically increase in size.

My general rule is that when I see that every one of my still white pistils has folded over, and no straight out ones exist any longer, you have just entered the final 2 weeks. It looks from your pictures, that you are just about there.

I'd keep checking the trichomes all over and not worry a lick about breeder estimates! And if you want an even ripeness across all buds, feel free to do a partial harvest.

In terms of what is "ripe," clear trichomes don't have as much THCa in them as cloudy ones, and amber ones indicate that THCa is converting to CBNa. CBN is the cannabinoid that is responsible for couch lock, so folks looking for a good body stone will often let their plants ripen longer to take advantage of that.

It's a completely personal preference!

since you are following the FF directions to the T, you no doubt did that final flush right at the beginning of the last two weeks so as to clear the salts out of the soil and allow this final bud swell. Doing that so as to clear the pumps, and then feeding ChaChing right to the end, I can guarantee you that your buds will dramatically increase in size.

My general rule is that when I see that every one of my still white pistils has folded over, and no straight out ones exist any longer, you have just entered the final 2 weeks. It looks from your pictures, that you are just about there.

I have not done the final flush as I have not made it through week 10. The chart I have shows you do the last flush between weeks 10 & 11. Cha-Ching was started at week 9. Am wondering if I should flush tomorrow as it's the next water only cycle given where they are and attempt to use the next two weeks as the final two.

While I want to get it right, the good news is this is the fun. Learning. If you both recall, I had three plants going when I first asked for help with the PH issue where I had what was supposed to be a 3rd auto but it turned out to be a photo. I ended up getting another tent and moved it there so I could flip to 12/12 without messing with my autos. I just flipped a few days ago but as this thing has vegged for 2 months, it's turning into a monster and is healthy as can be. Hoping the lessons I've learned on the blueberrys will pay dividends as this is kinda of like my 2nd grow (ok, well maybe my 1.5 grow).

How does she look? Worried she might get too tall after this stretch for that little 27" X 27".

Attachments

• JHAK_9_24.jpg
    JHAK_9_24.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
Not me, but looking at your plants, I am impressed! Looking good in there! It also sounds like you are completely on track with the upcoming flush, and yes, I would time it for the regular water only day and that will set you up for a fine finish.
Fortunately for me, the mistakes I made on the two auto's allowed me to correct them before my other plant started flowering. So hopefully, this one stays healthy all the way through. As of now, it's looking like it'll be a monster lol. Super excited!!!! I also just got the new Viparspectra XS2000 for the 2X2 (probably a bit overkill?)

Excited to see how this light performs compared to my Mars Hydro SP 3000 that's in my 4X2 and with a very healthy plant.

Edit - removed link. Apologies.

Oh thank you, is that against the rules?

Commercial and/or promotional links to external websites are prohibited. This also applies to websites like Amazon, eBay and Overstock. Off-site links in signatures are not permitted for members; only Sponsors may tastefully link to their websites. This helps preserve sales for our Sponsors as well as saving our valued members from fraudulent links to phishing websites and/or sites tracking IP addresses.

Back
Top Bottom