Another LED post for a 2x2x4 tent

Ignotus

Hi all.

I am doing my first personal grow and have a small 2x2x4 tent. I'm using a 200w cfl plus 2 27w's.

For my next grow I'd like to try led. Hps isn't really an option at the moment due to heat.

I don't want to buy twice or wish i had gone better, so what can everyone recommend for such a small space growing 2 plants only?
I intend to lst and scrog. Anything over 4 or 5 oz and I'm laughing.

I'm looking at the Mars II 400, or 2 Viparspectra r300's, or possibly 1 Viparspectra 450.
I like the R300 series better as it seems to have more red than the v series, but i think I'd need 2 as they are only pulling 118w each.

I'm happy to look at COBs too, but not sure if i habe the vertical space to get the proper spread? They are around $300 AUD for a 2 light cob, which I'm happy to spend if it works well. But not sure if it's suitable?

Anyway, would love some opinions, Thanks!

If I was going to do it all over again knowing what I know now. I would have gotten two Viparspectra PAR600 lights. For the price, they are surprisingly powerful

@ $224 each, bulky size and 570w combined draw this is way too much for that small tent, and height is a big issue here. No way the heat is manageable with 2 of these in 2x2, let alone worth the price when you look at the components inside the lamp and what it does.

I seriously recommend you do a DIY build with strips/boards, this will give you the biggest bang for your buck, the best coverage, and the most head room to spare ;)

DIY LED Strip Build Designs for Samsung H-Series, F-Series, Q-Series, and Bridgelux EB Gen.2 - LED Gardener

@ $224 each, bulky size and 570w combined draw this is way too much for that small tent, and height is a big issue here. No way the heat is manageable with 2 of these in 2x2, let alone worth the price when you look at the components inside the lamp and what it does.

I seriously recommend you do a DIY build with strips/boards, this will give you the biggest bang for your buck, the best coverage, and the most head room to spare ;)

DIY LED Strip Build Designs for Samsung H-Series, F-Series, Q-Series, and Bridgelux EB Gen.2 - LED Gardener
Thanks for that article, I've skimmed through but will dig into it tonight.
Diy might be tricky as i live in Australia so not sure if i can get a hold of everything, so would be keen to find a kit if i can.

Im guessing i can't link non sponsors, but judging by the article 135w would be ideal for me. So I'm guessing a READY TO ASSEMBLE 135W LED BOARD KIT from Horticulture Lighting Group would be ideal?

Wow what have i gotten myself into .

Thanks for that article, I've skimmed through but will dig into it tonight.
Diy might be tricky as i live in Australia so not sure if i can get a hold of everything, so would be keen to find a kit if i can.

Im guessing i can't link non sponsors, but judging by the article 135w would be ideal for me. So I'm guessing a READY TO ASSEMBLE 135W LED BOARD KIT from Horticulture Lighting Group would be ideal?

Wow what have i gotten myself into .

A single QB288 board would certanly do well, but not spread as good as a strip build (I have 4x QB288 in my 120cm x 120cm tent, and so far I'm loving it)

Digikey ships worldwide with free shipping on orders over $60, here's a link to their Australian skin DigiKey Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor
If you scroll down on the LEDGardener article there is an expansion under 2x2 builds, listing different types of builds for 2x2 with everything you need and links to where you can get it.
Drivers and heatsinks are probably best sourced locally.

The kits from HLG are super easy to assemble, and only require a small phillips head screwdriver and a pair of scissors for wire cutting - you can even have the driver outside the tent in stead of on top of the heatsink and get 5cm more head room.
However, though the kits are very easy to assemble and good value for money, I think a strip build or getting the less diode heavy QB's(maybe 2 QB132 on one driver) might be slightly better in a short tent.
Then again getting a kit is just very easy and convenient, and after watching a 10-15 minute video on youtube, you'll be able to assemble the kit in less than an hour without ever reading anything about DIY technicalities, so no worries mate ;)

I don't know how heavy taxes/import charges you have to pay but, a 135 kit from HLG is $185 + $49 flatrate international shipping.

Which ever way you choose, get 3000K, and if you need any help in the process just let me know, I'll be around :passitleft:

Mate thanks so much for that wealth of information. I'll read through it all before i ask too many more questions.
But, how do you find your lights compared to the alternatives?

They seem to be out of the smaller boards at the moment, so the QB288 might have to do.

You're welcome, and just ask away anyway :passitleft:

And the 288 certainly will do(very well) and because you have one in a smaller tent you get much better reflection than I do ;)

Well, they give off less heat and much more light than my blurple LEDs and no noisy fans, and it seems like plants are genarally frostier but that's hardly scientific, the PPFD readings are however scientific and show a big difference.
It's the brightest grow light I've ever seen and sunglasses is a necessity even for a little peek in the tent.
They can be powered within a great range using the built in potentiometer in the driver, mine go from 30w to 170w @ 230v AC, this means you don't have to waste power in the early stages of growth. I was amazed with the veg it did with just 85w it made the plants grow massive leaves on quite small plants

The first plant grown under them is drying now and 6 more coming down in the following weeks, 2 are strains I've grown before but not from clones so not 1:1 comparative but balls out I'm sure this is this is a serious upgrade from my blurples ;)

You're welcome, and just ask away anyway :passitleft:

And the 288 certainly will do(very well) and because you have one in a smaller tent you get much better reflection than I do ;)

Well, they give off less heat and much more light than my blurple LEDs and no noisy fans, and it seems like plants are genarally frostier but that's hardly scientific, the PPFD readings are however scientific and show a big difference.
It's the brightest grow light I've ever seen and sunglasses is a necessity even for a little peek in the tent.
They can be powered within a great range using the built in potentiometer in the driver, mine go from 30w to 170w @ 230v AC, this means you don't have to waste power in the early stages of growth. I was amazed with the veg it did with just 85w it made the plants grow massive leaves on quite small plants

The first plant grown under them is drying now and 6 more coming down in the following weeks, 2 are strains I've grown before but not from clones so not 1:1 comparative but balls out I'm sure this is this is a serious upgrade from my blurples ;)

Well I'm pretty much sold .

A i said, ill read through the diy guide for the strips tonight, but if it looks a bit overwhelming i think ill go ahead and order the 288 kit.

Thanks a bunch!

Just a heads up:

I looked into the strips like you suggested, and honestly it didn't look that hard. The system with 12 strips had parts out of stock and it worked out higher cost than the qb boards. The system with only 4 strips seemed like it would cover a similar spread than the qb's... so i ordered a 288 kit!
Thanks PurpleGunRack for the info and the links, it seems perfectly suited to my area. Love the low power draw too as our power prices are insane (.56c per kw/h in peak times).

I was going to post about my 900w Viparspectra as I've been really impressed with it so far(Im using it in my current grow for the first time so I haven't seen the end results yet) being such a low price but was going to suggest the QB or cob DIYs as its something I'd like to do myself so thanks Purple! If I knew how to give reps they'd be coming your way!

Just a heads up:

I looked into the strips like you suggested, and honestly it didn't look that hard. The system with 12 strips had parts out of stock and it worked out higher cost than the qb boards. The system with only 4 strips seemed like it would cover a similar spread than the qb's... so i ordered a 288 kit!
Thanks PurpleGunRack for the info and the links, it seems perfectly suited to my area. Love the low power draw too as our power prices are insane (.56c per kw/h in peak times).

You're going to love your 288 kit depecid!

Just a heads up:

You're gonna like it for sure, if you need help with assembly or anything just let me know :passitleft:

Is that USD or AUD, well either way it's pretty expensive, I pay 0,36 USD per kwh at all times for ''100%'' wind power.
If you have cheaper electricity at night it's a good idea to run the lights at night, also good for heat management, as I guess the ambient temps down under are quite high most of the time. Also look into the Gas Lantern Routine for vegging (12h lights on, 5,5h off, 1h lights on, 5,5h off) ;)

You're gonna like it for sure, if you need help with assembly or anything just let me know :passitleft:

Is that USD or AUD, well either way it's pretty expensive, I pay 0,36 USD per kwh at all times for ''100%'' wind power.
If you have cheaper electricity at night it's a good idea to run the lights at night, also good for heat management, as I guess the ambient temps down under are quite high most of the time. Also look into the Gas Lantern Routine for vegging (12h lights on, 5,5h off, 1h lights on, 5,5h off) ;)
Yea that's Aud. I actually have 5kw of solar panels on the roof so it's essentially free during the daylight hours, but that's also the hottest part of the day so i usually run lights off from 11am til 5pm.

Overnight i think the rate is like .16c offpeak so not too bad. It used to be .6c only a few years ago.

Holy shit, you're right. For some reason I was thinking it was a 2x4x6 tent. I must have been fuckin stoned when I was reading it.
:420:

OMFG!
@PurpleGunRack thank you so much!

I was going to buy PAR600T for 2.3x2.3' tent and was searching the forum heavily for reviews. All of a sudden I've found this thread. Now I will definitely buy HLG100 V2 DIY kit.
But I have some doubts because I'm yet another noob here :)
According to its specs it can only cover 2x2 for flowering, not 2.3x2.3
Seems to be a minimal difference and if I'm not mistaken I can always move down the light for a few inches to cover whole 2.3x2.3 space. Am I right? Do you think this light would be enough for that tent?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom